Music Listening

rajivaryan1984

Gurus,

Since I am totally new to this DAC concept, all I wanted to understand is - If I am buying an amp like Marantz 5010 with an HT setup like Pioneer AJ or Jamo or Polk do I still need to add a DAC on this set up. The reason I am asking this is for me Music and movies is equally important but I love hearing crystal clear music as if hearing live and also like to watch and listen live performances. Therefore please guide me will adding a DAC will really change my listening experience with the current setup I have or can i expect the same from my current setup itself.

With the current set up, you may not need a DAC.
Just ensure that you use CD's & not MP3 [music in that format]
Play from your DVD / Blue Ray Player - into the AVR - Marantz 5010 - by HDMI Cable.
The in build DAC in the Marantz will suffice as of now.
Get off the block.
Ensure the source [music] is great.
Position your speakers in a room 'correctly'
Enjoy your 'crystal clear' music.
All the Best !
:licklips:

SR5010 has a decent DAC. You can exploit the on board DAC to its max.
As FM "bhagwan" states, make sure your content is of good quality.
You may have to play around with source input levels and channel levels to make the system + room sound right to your ears.

Cheers,
Raghu

Hi,

Marantz uses its Music first principal and you can't go wrong with the SR series...only pair it well with good speakers...

All depends on your budget....there are a couple of Marantz's available in Hi Fi ads if you are fine with pre owned..speakers too..

Thanks Gurus....and Indy 70 well said about the Ghee thing..I have circled down some speakers please suggest which one should I go ahead with for both movies and music --

Polk Audio -- RTi A7, Csi A6,FXi A4,SVS PB2000 12" 500-watt Powered Subwoofer or DSW PRO 550 wi

Jamo S426 5.0,SVS PB2000 12" 500-watt Powered Subwoofer

Polk audio TSX 220B (front), TSX 110B (rear), TSX150C (center), DSW PRO 550 wi

BIC America Venturi DV64 2-Way Tower Speaker, Black (Single),BIC America DV-62CLRS 6-Inch 2-Way Center Channel Speaker,BIC America DV62si Bookshelf Speakers (Pair, Black),Bic Acoustech PL-200 Subwoofer - Black

Hi

The speaker combinations you have provided are nice....be sure to audition them before purchase...don't rush....

Which city are you based in India? Accordingly there would be ample dealers available where fellow members can recommend for best rates etc....

BIC America offers 5+ years warranty and Polks give 3 years....For JAmo's I guess its 2 years.....

Don't overspend your budget, you can use it for something else....purchase equipment based on your immediate needs and connectivity requirements...

Budget is not a constraint

This is a bold statement when indulging in this hobby. Set a budget and work towards it.
Polks are good for movies and OK for music. Jamo is the same but depending on series, they may be great for music too.
Listen before buying.

Cheers,
Raghu

Budget is not a constraint

It becomes a constraint very very quickly once you start hearing some good speakers.

Out of your speakers list, none are going to give you satisfaction for music, especially 'live' music as you expect.

as other fm's have rightly suggested, pls go and hear the various speakers available in your city to get an idea of what you will eventually buy and work for your requirements. at same time you will get opportunity to listen to other avr's also which is also a good thing.

make a start.

It becomes a constraint very very quickly once you start hearing some good speakers.

Out of your speakers list, none are going to give you satisfaction for music, especially 'live' music as you expect.

as other fm's have rightly suggested, pls go and hear the various speakers available in your city to get an idea of what you will eventually buy and work for your requirements. at same time you will get opportunity to listen to other avr's also which is also a good thing.

make a start.

+1, both will suck for music.

Jamo Concert series onwards are good for music... especially the floorstanders.

Junk both of your options if you really want to experience what you've stated below.

for me Music and movies is equally important but I love hearing crystal clear music as if hearing live and also like to watch and listen live performances.

Also within a budge of 70-80k which are the good 5.1 or 7.1 for Live music listening experience and can be compatible with marantz 5010

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back