Music Organizer

venkatcr

I have decided to focus on my Audio PC and convert that into a music server. Though I have still not finalized what software I am going to use, the priority right now is to clean up, order, and tag my 4TB or so files properly. I will also be adding another 3 to 4 TB though CD rips over the next 6 to 12 months. Nearly 90% of them are in FLAC format cutting across rock, jazz, western classical, instrumental, fusion, Hindustani, Carnatic, Hindi and Tamil film songs. I have added 8TB of HDD space to my audio PC.

I am looking for suggestions to manage the audio files. My search has narrowed down to two software pieces - Bliss (https://www.blisshq.com) and Media Monkey. In a way both these have been suggested by the servers I am shortlisting including Subsonic and others. The server has to be focused on music,so I am not looking at Plex, JRiver, and similar candidates.

If anyone has experience with either Bliss or Medai Monkey (or other good software), I will welcome suggestions and experience notes. I am willing to pay for the software, if needed. Bliss is US$79 while Media Monkey is US$49.

Thanks in advance.

Best Music server:
MinimServer :Top pick for customizing views
Logitech Media server : very well regarded

Music Organizer:
Media Monkey is good & FREE version works well for most use cases.

For Tagging:
Mp3tag
Tagscanner

MinimServer, though sounding good, has a major shortcoming. It does not correct file or tag errors by itself. Instead, it points out the mistakes and expects you to make the corrections. This will be a time consuming exercise.

I am looking at LMS, but I am inclined to move away in favour of other servers such as Subsonic, Emby and others. Logitech's policy toward audio related equipment is questionable. They picked up Squeezebox and literally killed it over night. In addition, third party apps for LMS is iffy. I would prefer a server that has solid support for Windows, Android, iOS, and DLNA/UpNp. These are what I will be using extensively.

Thanks

I am already using MP3TAG. I will look at Tagscanner and MusicBrainz Picard. At first glance Picard looks good.

Thanks

In my experience, Roon offers the cleanest experience managing the Music Library across the platforms.

In my experience, Roon offers the cleanest experience managing the Music Library across the platforms.
I understand. At the same time, I am reluctant to pay 50,000 (US$700) for a piece of software for which there are able competitors.

My browser is today refusing to allow me to visit the site saying it has a potential threat!! :mad:

I understand. At the same time, I am reluctant to pay 50,000 (US$700) for a piece of software for which there are able competitors.

My browser is today refusing to allow me to visit the site saying it has a potential threat!! :mad:
$700 is the lifetime fee, typically it's 10$ a month. There are alternates available ( like audirvana, 8K/lifetime fee) but they neither offer the flexibility nor the features that you get from Roon. :)

Arguable.

Lots of people are looking at Audirvana as a better and simpler alternative.

But, for me, the first task is to organise all my files. Till then good old Foobar.

I agree..and unless it is an organisation like a Microsoft or Apple, no use paying lifetime fees..no idea how long they will last. more sensible to think of an annual fee.
I only have around 1 GB of songs which also I have not listened to completely so at this point content with the Aries hardware and app.

Logitech's policy toward audio related equipment is questionable.

Thanks
Hi Venkat,

Logitech are not connected to LMS anymore. I have used LMS for last 10 years, it is very stable and in some ways much more advanced than others.
It supports DLNA. For a controller you can use IPeng (iOS) or Material Skin (Platform Independent) .
You can see a comparison with Roon here :

Thank you Amit.

The website (http://www.mysqueezebox.com/download), though, still claims ownership and rights from Logitech.

All that aside, I am inclined to go with something that uses a browser as a front end. Like Windows, Android is starting to become a host to bloatware as you have to download apps for literally everything. I am familiar with cleaning Windows. I still have to understand how to clean Android.

Let us see. I will shortlist a few of these servers, and try them one by one.

I don't think Roon repairs your original library. It does however create a pretty nice aggregation which lasts as long as you keep paying.

I don't think Roon repairs your original library. It does however create a pretty nice aggregation which lasts as long as you keep paying.
I agree. Of all the managers I reviewed only Bliss and Media Monkey seem to make repairs to file names and tags automatically.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back