Music PC

Yes I agree situations can be achieved by different permutations and combinations, but with LMS everything is/can be done from one location/one application and one controller. Be it your Mobile or PC you do not have to change the controller or application or anything else, if Mobile is what you have you can do everything with LMS application on mobile. Like the second example you gave "want a different song/album in a different room, then I'm all set if I use another smartphone or tablet." with LMS no need for a different phone or TAB.

Third example "wife wants her own songs in the kitchen or bedroom, she simply uses her smartphone. Everybody has one these days." ........ With LMS she does not need her smartphone, all she needs is to yell at you... Hubby please play my this song in the kitchen :D and all you need to do is to select the kitchen player from LMS interface and play the song that's it ......... you then start to feel to listen to the same song running in kitchen in your bedroom, simply sync the two zones and thats it ....:)

Ok, one question.

Will LMS recognize every UPnP/DLNA device and control point on the network? Or we need to get multiple RPIs and install LMS on the same for the central LMS hub to network and interface with all of the nodes?

Ok, one question.

Will LMS recognize every UPnP/DLNA device and control point on the network? Or we need to get multiple RPIs and install LMS on the same for the central LMS hub to network and interface with all of the nodes?

errrr you still a bit off track, LMS does not work with UPnP/DLNA renderer, yes though it does, can act as a UPnP server, but not as a renderer, neither can it recognize any UPnP renderer as a player. Dont mix two things ...:).

LMS will recognize every LMP (squeezeplay/lite/plug) player on the network like Picoreplayer (based on squeezeplay). and yes you are correct when you say you need to get multiple Rpi for as many zones you want to cover in your house and install some sort of squeeze player, like for example Picoreplayer. Or get logitech's own hardware like SBT or SBR or any of the hardware in the same league .......

If you want to have a kind of multiroom setup with UPnP/DLNA/Airplay protocol, best out there is Moode (running in same Rpi).

Last edited:
errrr you still a bit off track, LMS does not work with UPnP/DLNA renderer, yes though it does, can act as a UPnP server, but not as a renderer, neither can it recognize any UPnP renderer as a player. Dont mix two things ...:).

LMS will recognize every LMP (squeezeplay/lite/plug) player on the network like Picoreplayer (based on squeezeplay). and yes you are correct when you say you need to get multiple Rpi for as many zones you want to cover in your house and install some sort of squeeze player, like for example Picoreplayer. Or get logitech's own hardware like SBT or SBR or any of the hardware in the same league .......

If you want to have a kind of multiroom setup with UPnP/DLNA/Airplay protocol, best out there is Moode (running in same Rpi).

So it offers one advantage of being able to send different tracks to different nodes, but at the cost of having to install multiple versions of the same s/w and then configure it.

Price wise its the same, both the Pi and the CCA are $35 each.

CCA is plug and play easy, and the Pi will offer more tweakability for the geeks.

My only gripe is LMS is an image OS and not a s/w. In the sense I've installed MinimServer on Raspbian and also installed Deluge... so multitasking even with the Pi. With LMS its going to be limited as a node, unless I'm wrong and we can install apps and s/w along with LMS and multitask as a video player, torrentbox, and audio streamer.

you underestimate LMS a lot. Clearing a few misconceptions again ...

1. LMS is not an image OS, Daphile is.. LMS get installed as an application only which you access from browser. BUT for the simplicity sake, people have created OS images for Rpi to be able to get it installed easily. Once done you still have access to the underlying linux.

2. Yes you can multitask with LMS installed, as I said, once you have LMS installed on Rpi you still have linux shell running underneath. Or if you are running LMS on linux server again you still have the core linux shell and you can install any linux application that is meant to run as headless with LMS, including torrentbox.

I am also running subsonic (linux) with LMS running on the same headless linux server.

If you have installed LMS on windows then anyhow you can multitask by installing any number of windows application as you want with LMS running at the background ....

Regards
Sammy

So it offers one advantage of being able to send different tracks to different nodes, but at the cost of having to install multiple versions of the same s/w and then configure it.r.

you do not install multiple versions of the same software ...... you have one LMS running and then install LMP (picore) on rpi and you do not configure it, well except for things like wifi/lan and USB DAC. You then just plug in the player on the same LAN as LMS and start streaming via the player from web interface

you underestimate LMS a lot. Clearing a few misconceptions again ...

1. LMS is not an image OS, Daphile is.. LMS get installed as an application only which you access from browser. BUT for the simplicity sake, people have created OS images for Rpi to be able to get it installed easily. Once done you still have access to the underlying linux.

2. Yes you can multitask with LMS installed, as I said, once you have LMS installed on Rpi you still have linux shell running underneath. Or if you are running LMS on linux server again you still have the core linux shell and you can install any linux application that is meant to run as headless with LMS, including torrentbox.

I am also running subsonic (linux) with LMS running on the same headless linux server.

If you have installed LMS on windows then anyhow you can multitask by installing any number of windows application as you want with LMS running at the background ....

Regards
Sammy

Is there a RPi port that I can install for Raspbian? Max2Play is an image and not an executable. So in fact its an image.

Even better if I can install from the CLI i.e. Putty.

My Linux is patchy so I'm not looking at compiling my own.

I'm not looking at it for the PC, only interested if there is a Pi port and even better if it can be installed on Raspbian.

PS: I've used Subsonic in the past, really liked it too. But it was with Windows.

Max2play people have combined a lot of things, including LMS and an inbuilt player and few other things as well ....that is why it is compiled as an image file. LMS alone is an executable file. Below you can download what ever package you want for the OS you are targeting at..

Index of /LogitechMediaServer_v7.8.0

OR

My Media - Welcome to mysqueezebox.com!

BTW Squeezyplug which is max2play now is the easiest way to install LMS, manual way requires a bit workout .....

You can do a manual install on raspbian. I have the steps somewhere in the middle of my thread that I created to share one of the extensions to LMS project I did but you can have a looks and google for better details ...

http://www.hifivision.com/home-thea...berry-pi-project-powered-lms-squeezelite.html

Last edited:
Hi Sam
The squeezebox and LMS essentially are two same applications or some basic differences between them ?

I think ultimately what I will do is that take 2 RPI,s. Connect it to a wireless router. One will be squeezelite and second LMS

LMS was earlier known as Squeezebox Server SBS, essentially its the same thing. and you dont need 2 Rpis for server and player (squeezelite) you can install both on the same Rpi.
How to do is also hidden in the same thread that I shared in the previous post. :) ...or google for better instructions ...

LMS was earlier known as Squeezebox Server SBS, essentially its the same thing. and you dont need 2 Rpis for server and player (squeezelite) you can install both on the same Rpi.
How to do is also hidden in the same thread that I shared in the previous post. :) ...or google for better instructions ...

Hi Sam
Thanks. Will do a proper reading

I know this is very subjective but 2 raspberry pi's to purposely keep server and player separate. Some say that also helps
Again I know it's not proven that SQ can improve with that

Hi Sam
Thanks. Will do a proper reading

I know this is very subjective but 2 raspberry pi's to purposely keep server and player separate. Some say that also helps
Again I know it's not proven that SQ can improve with that

Even with 2 RPis you will still need to find a way to convert music files into a digital data stream. CCA comes with a digital/analogue out built in.

Even with 2 RPis you will still need to find a way to convert music files into a digital data stream. CCA comes with a digital/analogue out built in.

Pardon my ignorance Ranjeet, don't understand what you mean by digitak data stream

1 RPI will act as a server (minimserver or LMS) and second as renderer (moode audio or any squeezebox player)

The renderer will connect to the DAC by digital coaxial out

I meant you will need to find a way to convert music files into digital music data (USB-SPDIF or sound card duty).

My concern was how you were going to connect RPi with your DAC. But from your post it seems RPi comes with built-in digital coaxial out. I didn't notice that RPi comes with an on board coaxial out.

Yeah that's one way out :)

Though I am still not sure if RPi comes with onboard digital out or not (don't recall seeing digital out listed in the spec last I checked). And if it does have digital out, how good is it? Good enough for a serious listener?

From Arun and Rege's assertions it seems CCA is a good $35 worth of transport. In case of RPi, that will be an extra expense. And that was the whole point behind CCA.

Though I am still not sure if RPi comes with onboard digital out or not (don't recall seeing digital out listed in the spec last I checked). And if it does have digital out, how good is it? Good enough for a serious listener?

From Arun and Rege's assertions it seems CCA is a good $35 worth of transport. In case of RPi, that will be an extra expense. And that was the whole point behind CCA.

One has to buy an addon card called Hifiberry digi +

Not done any direct comparison with CCA but for me a great step up to USB.
Sounds very good to my ears atleast

I meant you will need to find a way to convert music files into digital music data (USB-SPDIF or sound card duty).

My concern was how you were going to connect RPi with your DAC. But from your post it seems RPi comes with built-in digital coaxial out. I didn't notice that RPi comes with an on board coaxial out.

RPi does not come with coaxial or optical out. Need an addon like HiFiBerry to do that. It does come with USB and HDMI so works with a USB DAC or HDMI to an AVR.

....Or use a USB DAC ... :)

Right, USB DACs are the only option unless you add something like HiFiBerry for digital output.

But wireless is an option with any distro that supports DLNA/UPnP (most do), or something like MinimServer.

DAC has USB input but coax sounds much better then USB to my ears

Actually to my ears Toslink sounds the best, but yes USB pretty much sucks. To my ears wirelss (all the isolation from electical noise) and Toslink (data transfer via light) makes for the best SQ.

Actually to my ears Toslink sounds the best, but yes USB pretty much sucks. To my ears wirelss (all the isolation from electical noise) and Toslink (data transfer via light) makes for the best SQ.

Wireless, my DAC does not support.
Toslink I can try as Digi + has a Toslink out

Which cable should I try? Any brand you have in mind?
Not any costly one as this is just for experiment sake

One has to buy an addon card called Hifiberry digi +

Not done any direct comparison with CCA but for me a great step up to USB.
Sounds very good to my ears atleast

Lets see if someone compares RPi and Hiberry+ combo against CCA to see whether the extra expense and complexity is worth the SQ.

RPi does not come with coaxial or optical out. Need an addon like HiFiBerry to do that. It does come with USB and HDMI so works with a USB DAC or HDMI to an AVR.

That's what I remembered.

TOSLink is also my favorite but for most DACs it's limited to 24/96 whereas on Coax they support 24/192. That's the only reason I prefer Coax. Even better now I only use BNC, true 75 ohm connection.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back