Music Server And Streaming Help

Is it still working for you?

I checked, and without VPN its not working for me. Not the desktop app and neither the web player. The smartphone app stopped working a while back too. Again have to use VPN on the smartphone too.

On Chromecast, never worked. Seems all these guys (Netflix, Spotify, Disney Movies, etc.) are using Google DNS at least for the Android apps. Never get them to work on Android. iPad is easier and works, but not my favorite OS or interface.

Most other streaming services work on CCA so no issues, a few like Spotify either need smartphone VPN or desktop VPN and casting from browser, which is how I'm using Spotify.

I don't know if you have ever tried something called Getflix. What they do is provide DNS closest to where you are. With the required DNS change, you connect to Spotify app or Netflix browse page. Also you don't have to constantly switch on and off the VPN. The best advantage though is, unlike a conventional VPN (I also have HideMyAss), it does not slow down the speed.

Moving to Raspberry Pi 3; I now have one. Just have a question, how do I setup wireless with Moode or Volumio stuffed into the SD card? While it can be done using one of the Raspberry Pi softwares like Noobs because it creates a desktop and then you go to the wireless connection icon and put your password, but moode and volumio have no such interface.

I don't know if you have ever tried something called Getflix. What they do is provide DNS closest to where you are. With the required DNS change, you connect to Spotify app or Netflix browse page. Also you don't have to constantly switch on and off the VPN. The best advantage though is, unlike a conventional VPN (I also have HideMyAss), it does not slow down the speed.

I'm aware of them, but never needed/used them since I've always had VPN. Spotify of late was not working on Chromecast and the Android smartphone even with VPN. On desktop and web player it works with VPN, while previously it used to work even without VPN.

BTW, I don't know what changed, but today I checked and Spotify is working on my Android smartphone and even the casting to Chromecast Audio works. So guess everything is back to normal.

Moving to Raspberry Pi 3; I now have one. Just have a question, how do I setup wireless with Moode or Volumio stuffed into the SD card? While it can be done using one of the Raspberry Pi softwares like Noobs because it creates a desktop and then you go to the wireless connection icon and put your password, but moode and volumio have no such interface.

I've always used my Pi via ethernet. But I'm assuming you need to find the IP of the Pi on the router and then log into it via that IP, using a browser. In the Moode interface (via browser/IP) you have the option of entering the Wi-Fi details. Check under settings, I remember seeing it there.

Terrible, every DNS service, provides DNS that you can find close to your location ... not just Getflix, smartDNSproxy also does the same.

Moode does have web interface where in you can configure wifi ...

ignNzhA.jpg

I'm aware of them, but never needed/used them since I've always had VPN. Spotify of late was not working on Chromecast and the Android smartphone even with VPN. On desktop and web player it works with VPN, while previously it used to work even without VPN.

BTW, I don't know what changed, but today I checked and Spotify is working on my Android smartphone and even the casting to Chromecast Audio works. So guess everything is back to normal.

I've always used my Pi via ethernet. But I'm assuming you need to find the IP of the Pi on the router and then log into it via that IP, using a browser. In the Moode interface (via browser/IP) you have the option of entering the Wi-Fi details. Check under settings, I remember seeing it there.

Yup thanks. I want to connect to the Pi wirelessly. So I guess I'll try what you suggest.

Is it possible to use Noobs interface as well as Volumio/Moode on the Pi?

Is it possible to use Noobs interface as well as Volumio/Moode on the Pi?

Not sure of Noobs, but the underlying OS is Raspbian, which can be accessed via Putty. However, these distros all run headless so they don't load the Raspbian skin or interface, so all options can only be accessed via SSH using a tool like Putty.

I'm not aware of any other way.

That is for Raspbian.

For Moode use "Setting up Wi-Fi via the Command Line Interface".

Or the settings inside of Moode should also work. For that you need to find the IP Moode is connected via on your network. Simply http://moode/ should also work, but if not then find the IP and use that IP. Typically it will be 192.168.0.XXX.

From there its accessing the Moode settings and inputting your WiFi details.

That is for Raspbian.

For Moode use "Setting up Wi-Fi via the Command Line Interface".

Or the settings inside of Moode should also work. For that you need to find the IP Moode is connected via on your network. Simply http://moode/ should also work, but if not then find the IP and use that IP. Typically it will be 192.168.0.XXX.

From there its accessing the Moode settings and inputting your WiFi details.

Ok. Just let me get "Setting up Wi-Fi via the Command Line Interface" correctly. When I connect Raspi with Moode to my TV through HDMI, and the Moode software runs on screen; at the end of it I need to do something? Because in the article, it is probably talking about running the cmd box, which can only I guess happen through some software interface present in Raspberry Pi.

On Pi 3, upon connecting through HDMI, I am getting a weird image. Photo is enclosed. Does that mean its a bad Raspi piece?

Last edited:
Not sure of Noobs, but the underlying OS is Raspbian, which can be accessed via Putty. However, these distros all run headless so they don't load the Raspbian skin or interface, so all options can only be accessed via SSH using a tool like Putty.

I'm not aware of any other way.

To load GUI from CLI on Raspbian simply type sudo startx

Ok. Just let me get "Setting up Wi-Fi via the Command Line Interface" correctly. When I connect Raspi with Moode to my TV through HDMI, and the Moode software runs on screen; at the end of it I need to do something? Because in the article, it is probably talking about running the cmd box, which can only I guess happen through some software interface present in Raspberry Pi.

On Pi 3, upon connecting through HDMI, I am getting a weird image. Photo is enclosed. Does that mean its a bad Raspi piece?

At what point are you getting this. Ideally, you should connect everything HDMI, USB drive, dongle to rasp pi and mem card inserted before you power it on, and when you do, after a brief boot up you should reach the, login screen ..... for moode its UN: root and pass: moode .... after that you will reach the command prompt.

At what point are you getting this. Ideally, you should connect everything HDMI, USB drive, dongle to rasp pi and mem card inserted before you power it on, and when you do, after a brief boot up you should reach the, login screen ..... .

I am assuming you mean the rainbow screen. I have connected everything except the dongle as I am connected through ethernet. Also, don't think I need a dongle as Pi 3 comes with wireless?

Edit: Just got a response on Pi forum: "Rainbow screen is the result of not enough power. Buy a 2,5A power adaptor for your Pi3."

Is this adaptor diffirent from the one 5V one I am using for Pi 2?

for moode its UN: root and pass: moode .... after that you will reach the command prompt

I don't understand this. What you mean is once moode does a run and the cursor stops I need to type this?

Last edited:

If you are running Moode or anything similar that's exactly what you'll get because its headless i.e. no monitor. The only way to see and access anything is via browser from another system on the same network.

The easiest way to do this is type http://moode/ in the browser of a PC, laptop, smartphone on the same Wi-Fi network and setup Wi-Fi in the Moode settings panel. Sam has shared the image.

That's the easy way.

If http://moode/ does not give you access to Moode then restart the Pi and it should work. If that does not work then find the IP the Pi is connected on the network (router DHCP settings) and type that IP to access Moode. It's better to setup a static IP for the Pi in DHCP.

The way to access CLI for the Pi is with a tool like Putty - Download PuTTY - a free SSH and telnet client for Windows.

Install it, connect via IP, use login = Pi, password = raspberry (for Raspbian or you can use the Moode details Sam has given above) and you can access the CLI for the Pi. From there use the guide you've shared above to set up the Wi-Fi.

Even easier method, simply connect the Pi 3 via ethernet, setup Wi-Fi and then disconnect ethernet. That should work too.

Edit: Just got a response on Pi forum: "Rainbow screen is the result of not enough power. Buy a 2,5A power adaptor for your Pi3."

Is this adaptor diffirent from the one 5V one I am using for Pi 2?

Pi 3 needs 5V 3A. Not available the last time I checked, but unless your Pi is connected to a lot of devices drawing power like external HDDs it should power up fine with 5V 2A.

^^ No I forgot, I read somewhere that Pi 3 will NOT work with anything less than 5V 3A, unlike older Pis where they were able to boot with less power as well if no other equipment was drawing any power ....

Is this adaptor different from the one 5V one I am using for Pi 2?
I don't understand this. What you mean is once moode does a run and the cursor stops I need to type this?

As I mentioned I read somewhere that Pi 3 will not work with anything less then 5V 3A, so get an adapter with those specifications. ...

When you boot Rpi running Moode, after the initial configuration it will end up at login prompt .... You do not need to put in UN and Pass for Moode to work. After the initial boot up, just type http://moode/ in your browser and you should see the web GUI for same. (assuming your pi is connected to ethernet and the computer and pi both are on the same network/Home LAN) Then from top right corner you access the settings and configure Moode as per your requirements.

You only need to put in UN and pass if you want to run any CLI command from the command prompt ...

So Pi 3 worked with 5V 2A but the current versions of Moode and Volumio are not compatible with Pi 3. Tim, the creator of Moode directed me to a modded version so now I have the Pi3 with wireless up and running.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back