Music Server And Streaming Help

So my assumption is that you are in agreement if I go ahead with the purchase of IQAudIO DAC+?

Its a 31.50 DAC... think that converts to around 3K INR.

Whatever makes you think that will be a better DAC than the one you've got in your AVR? Your AVR costs what? 20 times more?

The minimum requirement for a standalone DAC (IMHO) is the Schiit Modi Uber and that too only as a starting point. The multibit DACs from Schiit are much, much better. Go with the Yggdrasil, or Gungnir Multibit, and if not then the Bifrost Multibit. Chord DACs are also a good option as are many others, but depending on your budget.

However, a 31.50 DAC is asking too much in comparison to your AVR.

Its a 31.50 DAC... think that converts to around 3K INR.

Whatever makes you think that will be a better DAC than the one you've got in your AVR? Your AVR costs what? 20 times more?

The minimum requirement for a standalone DAC (IMHO) is the Schiit Modi Uber and that too only as a starting point. The multibit DACs from Schiit are much, much better. Go with the Yggdrasil, or Gungnir Multibit, and if not then the Bifrost Multibit. Chord DACs are also a good option as are many others, but depending on your budget.

However, a 31.50 DAC is asking too much in comparison to your AVR.

So thank you, that answers my original question if I need IQaudIO DAC given the AVR I have. I'll just go ahead and purchase the Pi 3 and this time set it up with Volumio as this also allows Spotify.

However, I do have a question. Does the AVR DAC process the sound sent through DLNA? (Stupid question but let me just ask it.) When I attach a DAC to the Pi, it would provide a better processed sound I would imagine over DLNA? And when there's an external DAC, does the sound get processed twice over?

I have spent quite a bit already on compiling the current system. I'll probably wait a bit before spending more on Schitt and likes.

There are a lot of ways a streaming solution can be achieved, and what sounds better can only be determined, by actually trying it out with the combination of AMP and speakers you have. Some of the methods I can outline below.

3. Assemble a Simple PC ::: YOu can also go with a much lesser version of the above, with simple ITX based PC, no audiophile hardware. Just the basic SATA drive and USB 3.0 (or a mobo with Audiograde USB out). On the software front you can have Windows 8.1 and customize it yourself to run only few basic services and processes (for a cleaner audio out). Install FooBar (if Jriver seems expensive) and get WASAPI.

Hope that made some sense ...:)

Regards
Sammy

Thank You so much for your posts, they are really helping a lot of people. I am just moving from using my Bluray player as a transport to setting up an absolute bare bones HTPC. Hence, this Option 3 of yours interests me. I had a couple of questions for you. My requirement would be playing music and movies mainly along with occasional browsing and basic gaming. No up-scaling, trans-coding or any fancy addons as of now.

Q. Would a Core 2 Duo processor, on a compatible motherboard with 4gb ram, necessary storage and a dedicated Nvidia graphics card that has HDMI out be sufficient?

Q. Would the HDMI out from the Graphics card provide a measurable improvement in sound quality? I am not intending to get a dedicated sound card as of now.

Thanks,
MaSh

So thank you, that answers my original question if I need IQaudIO DAC given the AVR I have. I'll just go ahead and purchase the Pi 3 and this time set it up with Volumio as this also allows Spotify.

There are multiple factors for your costly avr's internal dac to be superior to another external dac (iqaudio/hifiberry/any other dac). So without listening to both side by side, it's very hard to place any judgement IMHO.

Pi3 has some compatibility issues with hifiberry boards. Check with them or Gordon from iqaudio before making purchase.

People often say rune is better than volumio.

However, I do have a question. Does the AVR DAC process the sound sent through DLNA? (Stupid question but let me just ask it.) When I attach a DAC to the Pi, it would provide a better processed sound I would imagine over DLNA? And when there's an external DAC, does the sound get processed twice over?
Yes. When dlna is used in AVR, digital data gets transferred. AVR's internal dac converts it to analog.

I have spent quite a bit already on compiling the current system. I'll probably wait a bit before spending more on Schitt and likes.

Better dac always yields better results. Audio hobby is a very expensive hobby IMO. [emoji4]

Last edited:
Thank You so much for your posts, they are really helping a lot of people. I am just moving from using my Bluray player as a transport to setting up an absolute bare bones HTPC. Hence, this Option 3 of yours interests me. I had a couple of questions for you. My requirement would be playing music and movies mainly along with occasional browsing and basic gaming. No up-scaling, trans-coding or any fancy addons as of now.

Q. Would a Core 2 Duo processor, on a compatible motherboard with 4gb ram, necessary storage and a dedicated Nvidia graphics card that has HDMI out be sufficient?

Q. Would the HDMI out from the Graphics card provide a measurable improvement in sound quality? I am not intending to get a dedicated sound card as of now.

Thanks,
MaSh

If you are interested then you can look at my barebones Foxconn based PC which I have put up for sale and I am in Bangalore.

Thanks

Not to sound censorious, and IMHO, there are lot many factors involved that makes an AVR expensice and that does not necessarily constitutes having a better DAC than say a 5-10 times less expensive one ........ this is purely subjective opinion, I might be wrong, just saying. @@ Audio gurus ..... any comments ..:)

Absolutely ... Mine is C2D with GT440 and there is nothing it cannot play except H.265.

As far as Movies go ....HDMI will be as good as, if not better than any other decent sound card you gonna purchase. Infact for movies its never recommended to get a sound card. Does not make sense.

Hope that answers your queries. Shoot more if you have any ...:)

Regards
Sammy

So my assumption is that you are in agreement if I go ahead with the purchase of IQAudIO DAC+?

I have not experimented on this DAC bro, neither I have read much reviews for the same. but Rpi with HiFi Berry is seriously praised by lots of even serious audiophiles ... This is Rpi 2 I am talking about. How does Rpi 3 with hifi berry performs, yet to be seen

BTW for me Moode is the best balance between AQ and features .... next is Volumio and last I prefer is Rune Audio

I did some playing around with volumio. Was unsuccessful. I was able to load it and read it on the webui but it refused to read either the Ex-Fat or NTFS formatted WD HDD. So now I am back to Moode 2.5. Could this be due to the 2.5' drives that utilise the Rpi for power? Because volumio does not seem to have the Max USB current 2X facility. Please shed some light.

I have not experimented on this DAC bro, neither I have read much reviews for the same. but Rpi with HiFi Berry is seriously praised by lots of even serious audiophiles ... This is Rpi 2 I am talking about. How does Rpi 3 with hifi berry performs, yet to be seen

BTW for me Moode is the best balance between AQ and features .... next is Volumio and last I prefer is Rune Audio

I wanted volumio because it has Spotify. Only reason. Though I have no idea how to make it land on my AVR. Don't think it happens through DLNA or iOS app. And through the webui I can only configure. Don't know how to control music from there.

Last edited:
I wanted volumio because it has Spotify. Only reason. Though I have no idea how to make it land on my AVR. Don't think it happens through DLNA or iOS app. And through the webui I can only configure. Don't know how to control music from there.

Rune supports Spotify IMHO. There are plenty of tutorials on internet regarding raspberry pi OS configuration. Just Google it.

If you are interested then you can look at my barebones Foxconn based PC which I have put up for sale and I am in Bangalore.

Thanks

Thank You so much, however, I am toying with the idea of recommissioning my old desktop.

Absolutely ... Mine is C2D with GT440 and there is nothing it cannot play except H.265.

As far as Movies go ....HDMI will be as good as, if not better than any other decent sound card you gonna purchase. Infact for movies its never recommended to get a sound card. Does not make sense.

Hope that answers your queries. Shoot more if you have any ...:)

Regards
Sammy

Super. Thank You so much. Let me get started then. Might need your advice on a graphics card that will server me well for music, movies and those occasional need for speed sessions.

^^ I have a Zotac GTX660Ti Boost Edition .. lying around not being used since I upgraded to better GPU. It would be much more than what you will bargain for, as far as HTPC goes PM me if you are interested.

DLNA is digital, your AVR does the conversion. I personally find wireless to be better than wired, but your YMMV.

With an external DAC (like HiFiBerry) your AVR will receive analog signals, so conversion is done only once.

Not to sound censorious, and IMHO, there are lot many factors involved that makes an AVR expensice and that does not necessarily constitutes having a better DAC than say a 5-10 times less expensive one ........ this is purely subjective opinion, I might be wrong, just saying. @@ Audio gurus ..... any comments ..:)

Most DACs of today are chips and the multibit DACs are superior, but cost in the thousands of dollars. Pretty much everybody else uses a chip.

I may be wrong and one can say with any degree of certainty only after listening to both. But I am going based on the premise more expensive = better components and better chips.

Firstly, Spotify does not work in India, or will require a lot of workaround with VPNs.

A better way to get Internet radio and streaming radio is to get Chromecast Audio, use an optical cable, and connect to your AVR and let your AVR do the DAC duties. This is exactly how I'm using Chromecast Audio for many streaming services like Tidal, Spotify, IHeartRadio, etc. There are thousands of channels dedicated to the likes of Ilayaraja, Kishore, A. R. Rahman, Tamil music, 80s rock, jazz, etc. Pretty much anything you want is available, and pretty decent quality of 256 to 320 kbps AAC or MP3.

It is a good time for free Internet radio and streaming these days and all for the cost of $35-$50 devices. I have been paying for streaming services for a long time from the likes of Worldspace, Sirius, Rhapsody, Spotify, iTunes, etc. Get a simple wireless streaming device for Internet radio and be done with it. I would highly recommend Chromecast Audio in this regard. Another advantage with CCA is you can play on your PC or laptop and cast to it, in other words the entire Internet becomes available for wireless streaming.

well about spotify, just for the initial configuration, setting up an account, make payment and all you need DNS/VPN. Once it is setup and you start using it.....spotify keeps working even if you are not on VPN/DNS, thats the advantage of spotify over say Netflix. :)

Firstly, Spotify does not work in India, or will require a lot of workaround with VPNs.

A better way to get Internet radio and streaming radio is to get Chromecast Audio, use an optical cable, and connect to your AVR and let your AVR do the DAC duties. This is exactly how I'm using Chromecast Audio for many streaming services like Tidal, Spotify, IHeartRadio, etc. There are thousands of channels dedicated to the likes of Ilayaraja, Kishore, A. R. Rahman, Tamil music, 80s rock, jazz, etc. Pretty much anything you want is available, and pretty decent quality of 256 to 320 kbps AAC or MP3.

It is a good time for free Internet radio and streaming these days and all for the cost of $35-$50 devices. I have been paying for streaming services for a long time from the likes of Worldspace, Sirius, Rhapsody, Spotify, iTunes, etc. Get a simple wireless streaming device for Internet radio and be done with it. I would highly recommend Chromecast Audio in this regard. Another advantage with CCA is you can play on your PC or laptop and cast to it, in other words the entire Internet becomes available for wireless streaming.

Thanks for all the info, it helps me decide well. On Spotify, in fact, you don't have to wholesale VPN your internet. It can be done selectively on sites that require it or choose DNS that does not slow down your connection while playing sites that require covering up.

However, I still don't understand how Moode or Volumio can be operated through webui. I suppose playing Spotify through volumio will require it to be operated through webui and not DLNA or UPnP apps. I do get the moode/volumio webui on my MacBook but nothing really happens through that. If you guys can shed some light on that, it would be great help. I could then maybe get a Raspberry Pi touchscreen for that.

Frankly speaking, I have never used Spotify via these middle UPnP/DLNA renderers ..... I have always been using via windows app as intended, so I cannot much comment or assist you much on this. Frankly again I fail to see why would you want to use moode/volumio to use spotify and not use it directly via spotify windows app or browser or mobile for that matter ....

well about spotify, just for the initial configuration, setting up an account, make payment and all you need DNS/VPN. Once it is setup and you start using it.....spotify keeps working even if you are not on VPN/DNS, thats the advantage of spotify over say Netflix. :)

Frankly speaking, I have never used Spotify via these middle UPnP/DLNA renderers ..... I have always been using via windows app as intended, so I cannot much comment or assist you much on this. Frankly again I fail to see why would you want to use moode/volumio to use spotify and not use it directly via spotify windows app or browser or mobile for that matter ....

Is it still working for you?

I checked, and without VPN its not working for me. Not the desktop app and neither the web player. The smartphone app stopped working a while back too. Again have to use VPN on the smartphone too.

On Chromecast, never worked. Seems all these guys (Netflix, Spotify, Disney Movies, etc.) are using Google DNS at least for the Android apps. Never get them to work on Android. iPad is easier and works, but not my favorite OS or interface.

Most other streaming services work on CCA so no issues, a few like Spotify either need smartphone VPN or desktop VPN and casting from browser, which is how I'm using Spotify.

^^ I dont know brother it works for me ..... I dont use any VPN/DNS or any gimmick on my Android to make Spotify works, it is working since day one. (Yes for initial setup I had to use DNS to open spotify WEB and create account with US address and all) but once that was done it has been working without DNS/VPN on my windows app and Android as well. Though I have to bring one very important aspect particularly. Occasionally it gets logged out and stops working on my mobile and my app as well....... in that scenario, I have to re log in to web spotify USING VPN/DNS and once that is done, it again starts working on windows app and android without VPN/DNS, and this is how I have been using spotify for the last one year or so ...:)

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back