Music Server And Streaming Help

Re: Raspeberry Pi Set Up Issues!

@terrible - Plug in ethernet initially (that's what I remember reading somewhere, to use ethernet for the first run). Login/pwd to access internet is not an issue, just enable DHCP server in the router and the Pi will be assigned an IP. With moOde you don't access the internet, just the local network. Ditto for access and configuration too.

After installation you need to login to moOde via browser at http://moode/.
Follow the instructions at http://moodeaudio.org/docs/tcmods-readme.txt.

You do understand that MoOde is a headless OS and at the end all you will get is the command prompt on screen, which is what i see in the pics. Looks all good.

However in order to use wifi first you have to connect the LAN cable and boot and see if you are getting an ip from the router. Poweroff the rpi, plugin the lan cable and wifi adapter and then boot again. Once you reach the prompt type ifconfig and see whats the ip under eth0

2u7m1sm.jpg

if you got the ip you need to go to a PC connected to the same LAN as Rasp Pi and in the browser type the ip of Rasp Pi or http://moode/ . this will open the moode interface. Click on settings (top right), then configure and then network.

33ypf6x.jpg

Under the WLAN address type the SSID, Security you using and Password and click apply. This should start the wifi dongle working. Now IMP step ....power off the rasp pi (settings then turn off), once its completely shut off, remove the LAN cable and power on Rpi again. This will configure the device to use wifi via dongle, once its booted, type ifconfig at the prompt and see if you get ip under wlan0.

Also, remember to enable DLNA server in moOde settings. You can wirelessly stream and compare how it sounds in comparison to HDMI.

Have a play around with the moOde options/settings at http://moode/.

Oh its been a miserable day with Pi. Hope tomorrow is better. Happy new year guys!

Looking at the photographs, it appears the installation is correct.

Now do the following:
1. Unplug the Pi from the HDMI and TV and connect it to the router. Pull an ethernet cable from the router to the Pi.
2. Connect an external HDD with your music collection to the Pi via a USB port.
3. Power up the Raspberry Pi by plugging into the micro USB port.
4. Use a PC or laptop, open the browser (I am using Chrome) and type in http://moode/ in the address bar.
5. You will have access to the Raspberry Pi and the moOde Audio Player interface. Pretty much all the settings are fine on default, but you need to do 2 things.
6. Add your external USB to the library in moOde. Once you do this, the moOde interface will show a spinning wheel at the lower left-hand corner, wait for that to finish spinning indicating your library has been indexed. It will take a little bit longer the very first time.
7. In the settings enable DLNA server and hit apply to save settings.
8. In the top right corner, click on the turn off/reboot option and select reboot to restart the Raspberry Pi.
9. Once it has restarted, use anything like BubbleUPnP on an Android smartphone/tablet, select renderer as your AVR, library as moOde, load an album or track and play. The options should be similar if you are using any native app of the AVR & CA.

That seems like a lot of steps, but it isn't. It is only during the initial setup, and after that all you need is your smartphone and the BubbleUPnP app to play music. You can leave the Raspberry Pi and the external HDD powered on all the time, in fact it is recommended for the HDD.

You will need to power off the Raspberry Pi and unplug the external HDD every time you want to update the library or take backups. Other than that it is pretty much a set and forget option for the most part.

Let me know if you're stuck anywhere and need more detailed instructions. I'll see if I can find a YouTube video of the same.

What happened dude. ?

Internet issues with Raspberry Pi. I plugged in both the wifi adapter as well as the ethernet wire. I also managed to enter moode. Made some changes to the configuration as you guys had suggested. Then I shutdown the system and plugged it again but with just the wifi adapter plugged in (with HDMI connected to the AVR) but the Raspberry Pi could not get the connection. I imagine I can connect Raspberry Pi through wire to any of the 4 LAN points in the Netgear wifi router?

Got frustrated. Then watched a movie with daughter and drank too much in the process and now am hungover.

Looking at the photographs, it appears the installation is correct.

6. Add your external USB to the library in moOde. Once you do this, the moOde interface will show a spinning wheel at the lower left-hand corner, wait for that to finish spinning indicating your library has been indexed. It will take a little bit longer the very first time.

Thanks a lot for your constant help. No way i could have done this without urs and sam9s help.

How does one add HDD to library in Moode. Does it not read it by itself? Important question also for me is "Does it read HFS+ formatted HDDs?"

What is an i2s device? VERIFY/SET ALSA VOLUME?

Good news for all moode users. Version 2.5+ is available and made live few hours ago. Got the update from horse's mouth - Tim Curtis (father of moode)

Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Does moode get updated automatically or I will have to download this and go through the whole process like done with the earlier version?

Last edited:
Internet issues with Raspberry Pi. I plugged in both the wifi adapter as well as the ethernet wire. I also managed to enter moode. Made some changes to the configuration as you guys had suggested. Then I shutdown the system and plugged it again but with just the wifi adapter plugged in (with HDMI connected to the AVR) but the Raspberry Pi could not get the connection. I imagine I can connect Raspberry Pi through wire to any of the 4 LAN points in the Netgear wifi router?

Doesn't need to be on the Internet, just on the local network. Yes, plug into the Netgear Wi-Fi router through any of the LAN ports and it should be fine. In fact, if you enable DLNA server in moOde you can leave the Raspberry Pi next to the router and play music off it wirelessly.

Thanks a lot for your constant help. No way i could have done this without urs and sam9s help.

How does one add HDD to library in Moode. Does it not read it by itself?

Please read the instructions at http://moodeaudio.org/docs/tcmods-readme.txt. Step-by-step instructions are given in it.

4. ADD SOURCE CONTAINING MUSIC FILES
- USB AND SDCARD STORAGE DEVICE
a) http:/moode
b) Menu, Configure, Sources
c) press UPDATE MPD DATABASE button
d) WAIT for completion (no spinner on the Browse tab)
e) click Browse tab then Menu, Refresh
- NAS DEVICE
a) http://moode
b) Menu, Configure, Sources
c) click NEW button to configure a music source (MPD DB update initiates automatically after SAVE)
d) WAIT for completion (no spinner on the Browse tab)
e) click Browse tab then Menu, Refresh

Don't bother about it, it will only come into play when you are using something like Digi+, in other words a DAC for the Raspberry Pi that comes as an add-on board.

Just wanted to clarify one thing....i2s means inter ic sound or iis.

Most dac with USB input converts input signal to i2s and then the i2s goes to the actual dac circuit AFAIK/IMHO.

However, this is just for information. Not to confuse/contradict anyone [emoji4]

Last edited:

Which wifi dongle r u using. The best compatible is comfast. Plus if at all you are not able to configure wifi you can use a lan connection (which is what paersonaly I prefer, since my router and rasp pi are both nearby)

How does one add HDD to library in Moode. Does it not read it by itself? Important question also for me is "Does it read HFS+ formatted HDDs?"
Does moode get updated automatically or I will have to download this and go through the whole process like done with the earlier version?

No I dont think MoOde is gonna read HFS+ formatted HDD. NTSF or FAT32 is what will work. AFAIK USB HDD are auto-detected, you just need to plug in and go to browse section and it should be listed there.

Update isnt automatic, you have to re download the image file and re do everything. i2s is for DAC, not needed in your case ....

In fact, if you enable DLNA server in moOde you can leave the Raspberry Pi next to the router and play music off it wirelessly

Tried this but did not work for me.

Which wifi dongle r u using. The best compatible is comfast. Plus if at all you are not able to configure wifi you can use a lan connection (which is what paersonaly I prefer, since my router and rasp pi are both nearby)

This one: TP-Link TL-WN823N 300Mbps Mini Wireless N USB Adapter (Black) - Buy TP-Link TL-WN823N 300Mbps Mini Wireless N USB Adapter (Black) Online at Low Price in India - Amazon.in

No I dont think MoOde is gonna read HFS+ formatted HDD. NTSF or FAT32 is what will work. AFAIK USB HDD are auto-detected, you just need to plug in and go to browse section and it should be listed there

Seemed to work only with exFAT. And strangely that is the only option I had on Bootcamp Windows 10, apart from NTFS.

So the great news is that I had Moode running whole of last night for music and it does sound sweet. I did not feel the music compromised or suppressed. On just one song from Coke Studio, there was, what experts call hormonic distortion on high volume. It was like the bass was tearing. But only on one song. Now this may not be a Raspberry Pi problem alone so need to dig a little deeper here. But yeah, incredible that in something around Rs. 5000 one has a lovely music streamer. Why are these expensive streamers still selling? Though must admit I have not done a comparative between WDTV as yet. Also, will be getting Cocktail X12 to see how it fares against this.

Thank you all for not losing patience with me and making this happen.

The little things that need to be ironed out is that despite keeping this switched on, I had to reboot everything so each subject could find each other in the network. This took about twenty minutes. Don't want this happening when music needs to be played when friends are over. I am sure it'll get sorted. The other thing, on moode.local, I can only observe the settings and songs. It seems they can't be played from the player. At least not for me.

On movies, do you guys feel that Raspberry Pi setup will stand equal to say an Oppo BD 103?

So here's wishing you all a very happy 2016. To more music, movies and peace!

Last edited:
Thank you all for not losing patience with me and making this happen.

The little things that need to be ironed out is that despite keeping this switched on, I had to reboot everything so each subject could find each other in the network. This took about twenty minutes. Don't want this happening when music needs to be played when friends are over. I am sure it'll get sorted. The other thing, on moode.local, I can only observe the settings and songs. It seems they can't be played from the player. At least not for me.

On movies, do you guys feel that Raspberry Pi setup will stand equal to say an Oppo BD 103?

So here's wishing you all a very happy 2016. To more music, movies and peace!

well congratulations I suppose finally its working .... but I am not sure I follow you on few things ............like ""I had to reboot everything so each subject could find each other in the network."" what exactly you mean here. I never had to boot anything once the system is up and running.
Second ......""I can only observe the settings and songs. It seems they can't be played from the player"" ............ again not sure what you mean here?..... on http://moode page you can not only view your library but also play songs from there?

On movies, Rasp Pi in not for playing DB ISO or Disks, not powerfull enough, its for BD Rips and plays them pretty flawlessly via KODI.

I]I had to reboot everything so each subject could find each other in the network.[/I]"" what exactly you mean here. I never had to boot anything once the system is up and running.
Well sometimes, I cannot find the Raspberry Pi on DLNA and sometimes the CXR 200 is missing all of a sudden, so I have to reboot the CXR as well as Raspberry Pi. By subject I meant, various components involved in music streaming.

Second ......""I can only observe the settings and songs. It seems they can't be played from the player"" ............ again not sure what you mean here?..... on http://moode page you can not only view your library but also play songs from there?

I can see the HDD content on moode.local but I don't seem to be able to play it from there. I am on a MacBook Pro. So I have to either use an iPad or iPhone to play music through CA Connect.

On movies, Rasp Pi in not for playing DB ISO or Disks, not powerfull enough, its for BD Rips and plays them pretty flawlessly via KODI.

I guess then I'll either buy an Oppo BDP103 or Azur 752 BDP. I have more than 2500 DVDs and about 600 odd CDs. Might as well.

Sorry for hijacking your thread terrible

But I needed advice from fellow members which is related to the topic you started

I have an option to use a raspberry pi or a PC with daphile for my music server

Which should do a better job?

If chosing either of them does not make a huge difference I will opt for a raspberry pi as it consumes lesser space

I have not used Daphile per se, but tech details says Daphile is based on the open source Squeezebox Server, and I have extensively used SBS. If the actual workability is anything like SBS, then I know how it works in and out. It is good but best use is with Logitech devices like SBT, or radio or a Rasp Pi also acting as a SqueezeBox player.
The server will not act as the player (unless you deliberately do so - Not recommended). The quality of out put will depend on the player acting as the client, SBT. If you use Rpi as the client then how good a USB DAC you connect will be the deciding factor. Server will play a lesser role here ...

I will try daphile and report how does it looks and works .... audio quality wise I can only report if there is any difference on my modest audio gear ...

Last edited:
I have not used Daphile per se, but tech details says Daphile is based on the open source Squeezebox Server, and I have extensively used SBS. If the actual workability is anything like SBT, then I know how works in and out. It is good but best use is with Logitech devices like SBT, or radio or a Rasp Pi also acting as a SqueezeBox player ......
The server will not act as the player (unless you delebrately do so - No recomended). The quality of out put will depend on the player acting as the client, SBT. If you use Rpi as the client then how good a USB DAC you connect will be the deciding factor. Server will play a lesser role here ...

I will try daphile and report how does it looks and works .... audio quality wise I can only report if there is any difference on my modest audio gear ...

Hi Sam
Thanks a lot. Will wait for your daphile review

I will be using and am using the raspberry pi with moode audio as a player
I am currently using my father's PC running minimserver as an audio server. It has a modest amd cpu but a good power supply

I already feel the sound has improved with using an audio server with raspberry pi vs connecting a USB hdd to raspberry with all source material

In both cases dac is same and using coaxial output from raspberry pi to dac

Sorry for hijacking your thread terrible

No worries.

In fact after reading your post, I installed minim server right now on my MacBook Pro which in flat two minutes turned into a music source for me. Wish I had read about this before. Maybe I wouldn't have to order even the Raspberry Pi. But I still don't know the quality as it is difficult to play loud and long at this time of the night. Also the music file was from iTunes so of lesser quality than the flacs played through Raspberry Pi. Will test for quality tomorrow.

Just a question. Why do I need a DAC here if the CA Connect is throwing the file to the AVR DAC?

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back