Music Server And Streaming Help

I am just curious to know what are you planning to buy and what would be your future setup?

A quick note: if you can, do not connect any cable to your nas apart from the power chord and lan cable. I was never a big fan of wireless when quality audio is concerned. I prefer gigabit lan always.

If my yamaha AVR's app can stream from network drives (using dlna), I think your ca AVR should also be able to stream using dlna.

I am not going to buy NAS right now. Just setting up Raspberry Pi with CXR. I'll directly connect the HDD to Rasberry Pi.

The Cambridge Connect app can is just a controller. However, I am curious as to why this app can't induce the playing of video files in my AVR connected external HDD. It works well with music files.

A quick note: if you can, do not connect any cable to your nas apart from the power chord and lan cable. I was never a big fan of wireless when quality audio is concerned. I prefer gigabit lan always.

IMHO the NAS should always be connected via ethernet and I'm also connecting the Pi via ethernet. The only wireless I'm having is from Pi to CCA.

However reading many forums (MinimServer, PSAudio, ComputerAudiophile to name a few) folks are having the most improvement with running the NAS/Music Server in wireless mode i.e. as DLNA server and separate from the media player (Pi, Music Player/Streamer). I even have a couple of friends running high end Linn Network Players and Linn Streamers who swear by the same.

That and the addition of SSD to the NAS (for running the OS). These 2 changes are having the most gains without any change in the equipment.

Myself, only Pi to CCA is wireless. First goal is to make the NAS wireless, but I"m having a basic WD type of NAS which is limited. So I'll need either...
1. Addition of another Pi to run the NAS (using something like MinimServer).
2. Addition of something like Synology.

I'm borrowing a Synology for testing this, will keep this thread updated with the results. I might even pop in one of my SSDs in the Synology to see how much of a difference it makes.

IMHO the NAS should always be connected via ethernet and I'm also connecting the Pi via ethernet. The only wireless I'm having is from Pi to CCA.

However reading many forums (MinimServer, PSAudio, ComputerAudiophile to name a few) folks are having the most improvement with running the NAS/Music Server in wireless mode i.e. as DLNA server and separate from the media player (Pi, Music Player/Streamer). I even have a couple of friends running high end Linn Network Players and Linn Streamers who swear by the same.

That and the addition of SSD to the NAS (for running the OS). These 2 changes are having the most gains without any change in the equipment.

Myself, only Pi to CCA is wireless. First goal is to make the NAS wireless, but I"m having a basic WD type of NAS which is limited. So I'll need either...
1. Addition of another Pi to run the NAS (using something like MinimServer).
2. Addition of something like Synology.

I'm borrowing a Synology for testing this, will keep this thread updated with the results. I might even pop in one of my SSDs in the Synology to see how much of a difference it makes.

Linn network streamer is one of the best and one of the most expensive streaming devices on earth now. I think its a different ball game altogether and should not be considered when a budget system is being built.

That is purely IMHO.

There are endless possibilities for making a digital system perfect.

Some even plugs in multiple jitterbugs to all free available USB ports just to make the system noise free. This might seem little wired to some. But at some point we have to believe something and act accordingly.

I am not going to buy NAS right now. Just setting up Raspberry Pi with CXR. I'll directly connect the HDD to Rasberry Pi.

The Cambridge Connect app can is just a controller. However, I am curious as to why this app can't induce the playing of video files in my AVR connected external HDD. It works well with music files.

That's good idea. Please remember to add powered hdd when connecting to raspberry pi.

I think avr's dlna player is limited to audio only. I also did not get a chance to play videos on it.

I just believe...if a system or device isn't smart enough, attach a SBC (single board computer) with it to make it smart.

Oh damn! I only have USB powered HDD. There goes more money. Do they even sell externally powered 1TB HDDs anymore?

If you use moode audio you can select USB current to 2X and that should make your USB HDD work without powered hub

The thing that excites me about NAS is that it'll help me create a single point storage for all media instead of the scattered HDDs I have. But as you said and what I have read, I get a sense that Raspberry Pi with Moode will deliver better sound quality. Do you think connecting Synology NAS to Raspberry Pi + Mo0de through HDMI(?) and then throwing content wirelessly is even a thought that is feasible? I think this would have the best of all worlds where the AVR is being used to capacity, all files are stored in one place and can be picked up anywhere in the network and I can use the best source to throw music (Raspberry Pi+Mo0de) and video (Windows 10+MPC-HC+madVR+reclock).

As I said NAS is a one shop stop for a storage device, a media server and a streamer, Synology NAS supports USb Audio out so a quality DAC connected to Synology NAS USB port will also provide pretty decent audio quality (assuming u are using a decent DAC). The Synology Audio Station is a very comprehensive Audio App (both web and Mobile) and definitely provides a decent audio out

BUT if you are inclined to use Rasp Pi as well, you can use it with MoOde, and in that case, you NAS will act only as your storage device and a DLNA server. Rasp Pi loaded with MoOde will connect to NAS via LAN (can be wifi as well but I prefer and suggest LAN always). Assuming your NAS and Rasp pi will connect to a HOme Wireless router, you will be able to throw music to your rasp pi wirelessly via mobile or web. Actual media will be stored on your NAS only.

BTW I did not find any difference in sound quality between my E10 USB DAC connected to Synology NAS and E10 connected to Rasp Pi running MoOde. But then I dont have any audiophile grade AMP or speaker. I listen on my modest Audio Engine A5+ Bookshelves so I can not say if there will be any difference if setup changes.

I prefer Rapi pi on MoOde connected to my USB DAC route than E10 connected to Synology NAS UAB Audio out as that gives me more options to throw music wirelessly from various apps on my mobile and from itunes and spotify running on my laptop.

BTW for video I would still recommend/try Kodi on windows or OpenELEC (linux), and configure it with madVR if you are so impressed with it ..... The YMMJ interface it offers is just impeccable.

Last edited:
Linn network streamer is one of the best and one of the most expensive streaming devices on earth now. I think its a different ball game altogether and should not be considered when a budget system is being built.

That is purely IMHO.

There are endless possibilities for making a digital system perfect.

Some even plugs in multiple jitterbugs to all free available USB ports just to make the system noise free. This might seem little wired to some. But at some point we have to believe something and act accordingly.

Quite right, but do note that a higher end system (typically) is more revealing/transparent. My point is to only make the point that an external/separated NAS improves SQ, the same as a $35 Raspberry Pi. In my own case, the Raspberry Pi actually bettered my $2000 PC. With the addition of the Pi my speakers have completely disappeared, there is greater extension in the lower frequency, the high frequency has smoothened out, and the midrange has become sweeter.

Oh damn! I only have USB powered HDD. There goes more money. Do they even sell externally powered 1TB HDDs anymore?

Don't worry... Buy an el cheppo usb power hub...available in amazon/ebay.

Invest in a quality one, or better still an external HDD that comes with its own power adapter. Simple reason is backpowering is an issue with the Raspberry Pi and can damage it especially when using any el cheapo USB power hub. I am myself using an external HDD with a power adapter, all 3.5" HDDs come with it, so you will be sacrificing 2.5" HDDs.

As I said NAS is a one shop stop for a storage device, a media server and a streamer, Synology NAS supports USb Audio out so a quality DAC connected to Synology NAS USB port will also provide pretty decent audio quality (assuming u are using a decent DAC). The Synology Audio Station is a very comprehensive Audio App (both web and Mobile) and definitely provides a decent audio out

BUT if you are inclined to use Rasp Pi as well, you can use it with MoOde, and in that case, you NAS will act only as your storage device and a DLNA server. Rasp Pi loaded with MoOde will connect to NAS via LAN (can be wifi as well but I prefer and suggest LAN always). Assuming your NAS and Rasp pi will connect to a HOme Wireless router, you will be able to throw music to your rasp pi wirelessly via mobile or web. Actual media will be stored on your NAS only.

BTW I did not find any difference in sound quality between my E10 USB DAC connected to Synology NAS and E10 connected to Rasp Pi running MoOde. But then I dont have any audiophile grade AMP or speaker. I listen on my modest Audio Engine A5+ Bookshelves so I can not say if there will be any difference if setup changes.

I prefer Rapi pi on MoOde connected to my USB DAC route than E10 connected to Synology NAS UAB Audio out as that gives me more options to throw music wirelessly from various apps on my mobile and from itunes and spotify running on my laptop.

BTW for video I would still recommend/try Kodi on windows or OpenELEC (linux), and configure it with madVR if you are so impressed with it ..... The YMMJ interface it offers is just impeccable.

I myself did not find any difference between an external NAS with wireless streaming and Raspberry Pi with moOde. In any case, the most benefits seem to come from moving playback from a PC to an external NAS and/or Raspberry Pi. I have installed MinimServer on the Raspberry Pi, but plan to set aside a weekend to test between DLNA playback vs moOde for more critical listening. Right now though I cannot hear a difference, and since MinimServer offers so many advantages I'm sticking with it for now.

Invest in a quality one, or better still an external HDD that comes with its own power adapter. Simple reason is backpowering is an issue with the Raspberry Pi and can damage it especially when using any el cheapo USB power hub. I am myself using an external HDD with a power adapter, all 3.5" HDDs come with it, so you will be sacrificing 2.5" HDDs

Considering I am still at an experiment stage, do you think I would be sacrificing too much if I go for a quality USB power hub instead of buying a 3.5" externally powered HDD? Unless you feel it'll make a massive difference to the sound, I'll go with USB power hub. Only clarification I need for this is; for charge the HDD usb will go into the USB Power Hub, so how does it connect with the Raspberry Pi?

Once this is set up, Mr. Darius from Total Home Theatre has agreed to lend me his Cocktail X-12 for comparison.

Last edited:
Considering I am still at an experiment stage, do you think I would be sacrificing too much if I go for a quality USB power hub instead of buying a 3.5" externally powered HDD? Unless you feel it'll make a massive difference to the sound, I'll go with USB power hub. Only clarification I need for this is; for charge the HDD usb will go into the USB Power Hub, so how does it connect with the Raspberry Pi?

Once this is set up, Mr. Darius from Total Home Theatre has agreed to lend me his Cocktail X-12 for comparison.

Don't buy anything right now. Only the Pi, SD card, and power adapter for now. Use moOde and enable option of 2x USB in settings, that will let the Pi even power a 2.5" HDD.

Connect the USB hub the same way as you would connect any USB extender or USB hub to the PC. USB cable from Pi to USB hub. A powered USB hub also has a power adapter that you need to plug in. Do note that backpower is an issue with the Pi i.e. power from the USB hub can also power the Pi, not a good thing as it can damage the SD card or the Pi itself. Not so much an issue with good electronics, hence the recommendation to use a NAS or a powered HDD instead of a powered USB hub.

A powered USB hub also has a power adapter that you need to plug in. Do note that backpower is an issue with the Pi i.e. power from the USB hub can also power the Pi, not a good thing as it can damage the SD card or the Pi itself. Not so much an issue with good electronics, hence the recommendation to use a NAS or a powered HDD instead of a powered USB hub.

This might help in this situation RPi Powered USB Hubs - eLinux.org

USB: http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00...rue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=AFUER7MCS86KH

Last edited:
Raspeberry Pi Set Up Issues!

Only the Pi, SD card, and power adapter for now. Use moOde and enable option of 2x USB in settings, that will let the Pi even power a 2.5" HDD.

I have reached a dead-end with Raspberry Pi set up. Just to let you know what I did so you can help.

Here are some physical set up pics. let me know if something is wrong here:

@HDMI and USB Power supply

@Wi-fi and Keyboard Adapter

@microSD installation

With SD formatter, formatted the microSD card and moode-sdimg-r24.img to it; with Win32DiskImager. Connected TP Link wi-fi adapter and logitech wireless keyboard adapter to USB port of Raspberry Pi. (The Netgear wifi router I have is password protected so I doubt Raspberry Pi will get any internet connection till I can type in the pass). Through HDMI, connected it to the MacBook Pro but nothing showed up. So connected it to the AVR (again HDMI). This time it showed up and did a run. So the first error I noticed was (in red):

I don't know if Raspberry Pi has internet connectio as I can't understand what's scrolling down. This may indicate something:

And then one reaches this point and it all stops. Don't know what one should do next:

However, i connected my HFS+ formatted 2.5" external HDD. Though it was not powered by a USB hub. The Pi was reading it. This is what it showed:

This is where it ended for me. Clearly in need of some expert help.

@terrible - Plug in ethernet initially (that's what I remember reading somewhere, to use ethernet for the first run). Login/pwd to access internet is not an issue, just enable DHCP server in the router and the Pi will be assigned an IP. With moOde you don't access the internet, just the local network. Ditto for access and configuration too.

After installation you need to login to moOde via browser at http://moode/.
Follow the instructions at http://moodeaudio.org/docs/tcmods-readme.txt.

Where did you source it from ..???

Sam if you meant me then I picked it up during a visit. That and the Aukey Luna wireless charger.

Re: Raspeberry Pi Set Up Issues!

I have reached a dead-end with Raspberry Pi set up. Just to let you know what I did so you can help.

With SD formatter, formatted the microSD card and moode-sdimg-r24.img to it; with Win32DiskImager. Connected TP Link wi-fi adapter and logitech wireless keyboard adapter to USB port of Raspberry Pi. (The Netgear wifi router I have is password protected so I doubt Raspberry Pi will get any internet connection till I can type in the pass). Through HDMI, connected it to the MacBook Pro but nothing showed up. So connected it to the AVR (again HDMI). This time it showed up and did a run. So the first error I noticed was (in red):

You do understand that MoOde is a headless OS and at the end all you will get is the command prompt on screen, which is what i see in the pics. Looks all good.

However in order to use wifi first you have to connect the LAN cable and boot and see if you are getting an ip from the router. Poweroff the rpi, plugin the lan cable and wifi adapter and then boot again. Once you reach the prompt type ifconfig and see whats the ip under eth0

2u7m1sm.jpg

if you got the ip you need to go to a PC connected to the same LAN as Rasp Pi and in the browser type the ip of Rasp Pi or http://moode/ . this will open the moode interface. Click on settings (top right), then configure and then network.

33ypf6x.jpg

Under the WLAN address type the SSID, Security you using and Password and click apply. This should start the wifi dongle working. Now IMP step ....power off the rasp pi (settings then turn off), once its completely shut off, remove the LAN cable and power on Rpi again. This will configure the device to use wifi via dongle, once its booted, type ifconfig at the prompt and see if you get ip under wlan0.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back