Music Streamer or Alternative

afj

Hi
Im looking to buy a music streamer. I am also open to suggestions of using an add on device to a DAC to use it as a streamer

My requirements are

1. Ability to stream music from an android / iphone wirelessly and play in on my system
2. Ability to plug in a laptop via usb and play off it

My budget for the streamer is about 50-70k.

It is for a decently high end system so i require something that matches with it (speakers monitor audio silver, amp acoustic portrait)

Thanks

I would probably buy a Intel NUC (Celeron is sufficient) and install Roon on the top of it. With this setup, both of your requirements can easily be meet.

Last edited:
I guess you mean Rune?

Instead of the Intel nuc could I use a tablet with an external hard drive. Advantage for me is that it come with its own interface and I don't need to use another device to work it. Also tablet starts up immediately

I guess you mean Rune?

Instead of the Intel nuc could I use a tablet with an external hard drive. Advantage for me is that it come with its own interface and I don't need to use another device to work it. Also tablet starts up immediately
Yes, Roon. You can install it on any x86 system. You can also explore Audirvana in addition to Roon.

Hi
Im looking to buy a music streamer. I am also open to suggestions of using an add on device to a DAC to use it as a streamer

My requirements are

1. Ability to stream music from an android / iphone wirelessly and play in on my system

It is for a decently high end system so i require something that matches with it (speakers monitor audio silver, amp acoustic portrait)

Thanks

Cambridge Audio CXN
Bluesound Node 2i

Thanks a lot guys. Am currently leaning towards the DAC plus computer setup with roon audio, more from a value perspective.

Could you recommend DACs in the price range. 50-70k rupees. Currently on my radar is the arcam irdac ii

Thanks a lot guys. Am currently leaning towards the DAC plus computer setup with roon audio, more from a value perspective.

Could you recommend DACs in the price range. 50-70k rupees. Currently on my radar is the arcam irdac ii
If you have someone who can get it from usa for you, this much money will get you a very good Dac.

In your city. See if still available.

I prefer Mac mini plus Audirvana >> than NUC with roon. Roon is over the top expensive and sounds okish to my ears
That would turn out to be pretty expensive. Then would rather go with a dedicated streamer

That would turn out to be pretty expensive. Then would rather go with a dedicated streamer
It would be cheaper than NUC plus roon. Mac mini can be had used for around 30-35k plus Audirvana is 7k odd.

You need to spend a lot more to beat that combo

Hi

My requirements are

Thanks
Better to go for Cambridge audio CX series. They are quoting reasonable prices

Better to go for Cambridge audio CX series. They are quoting reasonable prices
Hi

My requirements are

Thanks
Check this out, not high end
Can play thru iOS/ Android phones/ tablets ( App available)

Hi

My requirements are

Thanks
A totally different approach from pro world but probably the best way to transport digital data. If you can live with 48K sample rate, please visit https://www.audinate.com/products/devices/dante-avio. You may want to buy three adapters - AES, Bluetooth and USB and then a PoE Ethernet switch. I know these adapters are available in India. This whole thing is based on a protocol known as Dante. Please read about it and DM me in case you have any question.

Check out pi2aes & mercury streamerrom pi2designs.

I would probably buy a Intel NUC (Celeron is sufficient) and install Roon on the top of it. With this setup, both of your requirements can easily be meet.
I did that a few years back. NUC died and it’s an integrated PCB motherboard so total loss. I was told it’s due to lack of cooling and bad designs most NUCs and Mac mini have limited life.

Hi

My requirements are

Thanks
If you are looking for a streamer then you should look for bluesound node 2i or cambridge cxn, though cxn is little costly

Audiolab 6000n play is also good option but the software is little problematic so can not be recomended.

I did that a few years back. NUC died and it’s an integrated PCB motherboard so total loss. I was told it’s due to lack of cooling and bad designs most NUCs and Mac mini have limited life.
Sorry to hear that. I have been using a few NUCs in my home lab 24x7 for the last two and half years without any issues. NUC usually comes with three years replacement warranty. Didn't Intel replace your unit?

Sorry to hear that. I have been using a few NUCs in my home lab 24x7 for the last two and half years without any issues. NUC usually comes with three years replacement warranty. Didn't Intel replace your unit?
Happened exactly after 3 years. I used to run it 24/7 by then ☹️

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back