Music system advice required

lsi 9s are good but remember they are very power hungry speakers

Heard the Lis9 last weekend with Denom and Santy at a extended listening session spanning several hours.
It was paired with a Luxman Integrated, Marantz CD6001 and Beresford Caimen ( Non gatorized)

Must say, I loved them. The sort of speakers I can personally own. However 4 ohm load is the only setback.

lsi 9s are good but remember they are very power hungry speakers

Not in my experience. Have heard them paired to a Yamaha R-S300 Stereo Receiver, Sansui AU-D7 & Luxman L5. The Lsi9's did not have any issues being driven by any of these moderate wattage amps.

Which amp(s) have you heard these speakers with???

Sorry to hijack the thread.

I am in the process of building the entire chain. I just got he Oppo-93 as of now.

My Short lists

1. AMP - SET amp with 845 or 300B. I am also looking at Pre-Power combo from Acoustic Portrait. Would like to listen to Dared VP-845 as well. Rethm also has a hybrid amp.

2. Speakers - High efficient, SET friendly, full range systems. Short lists - Zu Omen Def MKII, Rethm Maarga, Blumenhofer big Fun 17.

3. DAC choices are W4S DAC1 or Schiit GUNGNIR. I also want to check if we can get Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC.

4. IC/Speaker cables - Not decided on anything yet.

I am also looking at trading my Oppo-93 and getting an all new Oppo-105 :). So no need to get a different DAC. Haven't decided on it yet.

Thanks,
John.

John, you seem to planning a system similar to the one I have now. You should drop by for a listen.

kix why dont try some experiment and may save some money.
at present sceneario.
play from your laptop into onkyo RCA in and from onkyo into your present speaker and play some music...
if you are satisfied..no need of dac right now..may buy later..

same way from your cd player...and experiment whther you are happy or not...

just buy the speakers right now...
kef,wharfedale,tannoy etc...

media player later..

dac more later...

i mean..no offence please...i just suggested this considering your limited use...

and yes for music and analogue...consider some good rca cables...

btw dac at ur prefereble budget
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Asus-Xonar-E...3?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item3a7e3699a7

and imo if dac is final...a cheap media player who can pass audio formats via optical is good enough...no need to buy costly ones..

thanks

Last edited:
John, you seem to planning a system similar to the one I have now. You should drop by for a listen.

I really appreciate your invite Jai. I am little busy nowadays to finish my house construction. It has been delayed for a long time now :(. I will definitely try to make some free time and visit your place for a listen.

Will PM you for the details.

Thanks,
John.

jfk,

koushik mentioned the PS Audio digilink 3 - this is not avbl in India and all the ones on audiogon are for USA voltage. I have had a few emails exchanged with the company and they do not recommend voltage conversion. This is not an option for you.

Since you want to retain the Onkyo ( i say .. let it go for whatever its worth )..

a. try a promitheus passive pre amp ( if used avbl ) and connect to Onkyo. I have one unused with me and i can lend it to you for a week if you can arrange pick up and drop off. I will not send or receive this by courier. The only hitch is that its passive and you may not be able to connect a USB powered DAC.

DAC with power supply shoukld be possible if output voltage is > 2 V.

The problem with the Onkyp could be the pre-amp section ( responsible for the sound signature ) and the passive pre amp could bypass the preamp of the onkyo.. but please check with the manual if this could be possible

b. Speakers.. i would suggest Epos M12i.. i own these and they are great for the money.
These are not the only speakers and there are many in the market that may suit your taste.

Used option is the way forward i think.. look for what you need on the wanted / for sale section and it may fit your budget too.

Dont go for more expensive gear since you say your listening sessions are limited.

Try to put the money into a good source, a good speaker and a good amp in that order..

this will be a longer process but its the eay to enjoy stereo..

Another idea..

a. Nuforce DDA 100 for USD 500 ( if you can get it from USA ) ( this is a DAC + amp ) or Wadia 151 for $799
b. Many speakers will match with this combo

The reviews on Nuforce are good and it may not be too wrong a choice and i think Power DAC would be the amp of the future.

One more option if you like to take a chance :-

Swam M200Mk2 or Mk3 if your listening room is say about 150 sq ft + DAC
Genelec 8020 ( contact Denom ) + Dac

YMMV..

PS : I have not heard Swan or Genelec or Nuforce or Wadia.. but was until recently digging up on these..

PS2 : Try your luck with a - Wanted advt - and see where it goes

mpw

@mpw - I am seriously considering this for myself as well. I am worried by what you said about the voltage conversion. Pls can you pm me the main part of the conversation with the company? Will be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

kix why dont try some experiment and may save some money.
at present sceneario.
play from your laptop into onkyo RCA in and from onkyo into your present speaker and play some music...
if you are satisfied..no need of dac right now..may buy later..

same way from your cd player...and experiment whther you are happy or not...

just buy the speakers right now...
kef,wharfedale,tannoy etc...

media player later..

dac more later...

i mean..no offence please...i just suggested this considering your limited use...

and yes for music and analogue...consider some good rca cables...

btw dac at ur prefereble budget
Asus Xonar Essence One Hi-Fi USB DAC & Headphone Amplifier | eBay

and imo if dac is final...a cheap media player who can pass audio formats via optical is good enough...no need to buy costly ones..

thanks
Flash suggested that I should think of netbook instead of a media player. That is brilliant suggestion.

Regarding DAC, I had similar thoughts. I was going to keep it for the last. My Onkyo does not have HDMI-In or USB-In. The media player (netbook) must have coaxial or optical out for the Onkyo in-built DAC to work. Basically, I would like to stay awat from the (whatever) media player's DAC. I have suspicion that they will be compromised. Anyway I was thinking of somehow getting hands on to a DAC before buying and do some testing before buying. If external DAC made no difference, then I would skip it.

This weekend, I am going on the lookout for speakers. For now, I have decided to go step by step:

1. Check out speakers. Continue testing with Pioneer DVDP and use the in built DAC of Onyo.
2. Will test with borrowed DACs and see whether there is any significant difference. I have a feeeling that I will ultimately need a DAC, if for nothing, at least for digital music on computer. My Pioneer will not be able to play .flac and .mp3 on discs.
3. Media player will be my last option.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back