Music System from Dubai

GuruInder

I understand that there is already a similar thread but reposting since my queries are a bit different -

1. Weight is not a constraint since I'm moving home to India. This will come with the furniture.
2. Duty is not an issue since this will come as used.
3. Now, does it still make sense to buy from Dubai?
4. I hear 60% music and 40% TV. I have a basic S Series HD Ready Sony LCD with a non-HD settop box and a DVD Player.
5. My budget is 50k for the entire package.
- tallboy speakers 5.1
- amplifier
- transformer (?? read about it in a lot of posts) etc.
BTW, what all do I need to buy to get it running? In terms of inputs, what are the constraints that I'll face from the TV, settop box and DVD player.
5. Should I even get the wiring from Dubai?

I understand that there is already a similar thread but reposting since my queries are a bit different -

1. Weight is not a constraint since I'm moving home to India. This will come with the furniture.

I moved back from Dubai in 2008, and brought my system with me.

Please note that duty _will_ be an issue, as Customs charges duty on high value electronics even if you're moving on transfer of residence. You may be able to avoid/reduce this depending on your customs agent's ability to plead your case.

4. I hear 60% music and 40% TV. I have a basic S Series HD Ready Sony LCD with a non-HD settop box and a DVD Player.
- tallboy speakers 5.1
- amplifier
BTW, what all do I need to buy to get it running? In terms of inputs, what are the constraints that I'll face from the TV, settop box and DVD player.

I would suggest that you get everything, including cabling from there. Try Dubai Audio Centre on Sheik Zayed Road, he's pretty helpful in putting a system together on a budget.

You don't really need a transformer, as the UAE voltage and India voltage are the same. You may need a UPS or power conditioner to handle spikes and so on.

Ram

i moved as well and i think the rule was you can bring one of each electronic item at 10% duty and if you bring another its 30%. so if you bring one music system and pass it off as used there wont be much duty

as for the system itself, considering that your budget it 50k and that you listen to 60% music, i would go for a simple stereo set up. a good pair of bookshelves and a nice amp to go with it. if you want a surround sound then i;ve heard some really good htib's at that price point. imo would work out better than buying a receiver and getting 5.1 speakers to go with it

it does make sense to buy from dubai since prices will be better there
you will not need a transformer since the voltage in dubai is the same as india i.e 220v
you will get all cables in india but you can buy from there as well. speak to the dealer youre buying from and he'll tell you what exactly you need depending on what you buy

Last edited:
a friend of mine is coming from dubai. i am interested in buying either an amp or a avr. pls suggest

a friend of mine is coming from dubai. i am interested in buying either an amp or a avr. pls suggest

I bought my Onkyo 609 with jamo HCS 102 from dubai. I bought the spares here like cables(14gauge), stabiliser(1.5KW), spike buster and connectors here. I bought my wharfedale 9.6 floor stander in bangalore. but I would seriously recommend to go for a good AVR(yamaha 6series/Onkyo 6series) with book shelves if you are tight on a budget. its not advisable to buy speakers as the weight and safety is a constraint.

Alternately, if you don't know what to buy, try SONY Muteki series like 5500/7500. its awesome.

- tallboy speakers 5.1
- amplifier

1) visit Jumbo Electronics Dubai UAE - distributor of consumer electronics and technology products in Dubai UAE ( United Arab Emirates )
2) You have to spend a considerable time and effort if you want to buy a AVR & speakers since your ear is the best judge and no one else can be an alternate to that.
you can try with SONY MUTEKI 7500
Sony Muteki HTDDW7500 Review - Home Cinema Systems

OR

3) If you are ready to spend time & effort, then try to understand the following
1) Do you need bright or warm speakers?
2) Do you need 5.1/7.1?
3) Floorstander / book shelf / satellites?
4) your room design & acoustics
5) warranty/service issues, not all the good brands have a service here, you don't need a service, but you need some one who can tune it. Abilities of the best speaker and amp is felt only if they are properly matched.

My setup consumed 35m of 14gauge wire. when you buy the receiver/amp make sure it has the following
1) Video upscaling/upconversion ability
2) USB and Ethernet connectivity
3) Wide variety of Sound & audio formats
4) Zone2 feature
5) 7.2 channel
6) Air play
7) 3D
8) Ability to output audio 150W and above @ 6ohm minimum.
9) THX certified and THD
10) Enough HDMI inputs and output
11) RGB input
12) internet radio.
13) Wifi ready

yamaha is always good, then comes the onkyo.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back