Music system on a budget - a challenge

saurabhth

Hi,

In my quest for a music system I came across this forum. After going through several posts, I realised that most of the audio systems discussed here are for true audiophiles and hence very costly.

I would like to seek the help of experts out here to help me decide on a music system and I am on a real tight budget. Please find my requirements below:

1) Budget Rs 10K
2) I am not much of an audiophile but appreciate good and reasonable sound quality - my music selection is mostly bollywood music and occassionaly classical
3) USB playback
4) MP3 CD or DVD playback
5) Cassette playback. This is optional
6) If possible the music system be hooked to a PC for music playback, so that I can reuse the speakers.

I came across the following options to meet my requirements:
1) Buy off the shelf systems like Sony or Philips Micro Hi fi systems or boomboxes. However I found that the speakers that come with these systems cannot be hooked to PC and hence they cannot be reused.

2) Buy a DVD player with built in amp like LG DD 447 and hook up speakers like Altec Lansing MX5021 with it. I do not know whether this is possible or not.

Kindly advise on the best possible option.

Hi,

In my quest for a music system I came across this forum. After going through several posts, I realised that most of the audio systems discussed here are for true audiophiles and hence very costly.

I would like to seek the help of experts out here to help me decide on a music system and I am on a real tight budget. Please find my requirements below:

1) Budget Rs 10K
2) I am not much of an audiophile but appreciate good and reasonable sound quality - my music selection is mostly bollywood music and occassionaly classical
3) USB playback
4) MP3 CD or DVD playback
5) Cassette playback. This is optional
6) If possible the music system be hooked to a PC for music playback, so that I can reuse the speakers.

I came across the following options to meet my requirements:
1) Buy off the shelf systems like Sony or Philips Micro Hi fi systems or boomboxes. However I found that the speakers that come with these systems cannot be hooked to PC and hence they cannot be reused.

2) Buy a DVD player with built in amp like LG DD 447 and hook up speakers like Altec Lansing MX5021 with it. I do not know whether this is possible or not.

Kindly advise on the best possible option.

Saurabh,
The mx5021 is a good choice in your budget and it s already amplified, i mean you dont need a separate amp to power it. You just need to hook it up to your PC/ or whatever source you are using.
Else you can go for a Norge 4242 with a pair of Norge entry level bookshelf speakers/ CA s30. 11-13k total cost
Another combo is the Topping tp20 amp with the above bookshelves for about the same price.
Else you can take the used route and go for a used Marantz Pm 40 with above said book shelves for the same amount.

Hi iaudio,

Thanks for your reply.

I would like to have some clarifications. Kindly respond
1) Is it possible to connect Altec lansing MX5021 speakers to a DVD player like LG DD 447 ? I mean do you see any technical issue like incompatibility of wires etc.

2) Are Norge 4242 and Topping tp20 mere amplifiers or they also provide features like DVD/USB playback along with amplification ?

Thanks again

Try visiting stores which carry both dvd players and speakers from different brands... like Reliance Digital, Croma, etc. You can request the salesman to connect speakers and dvd players of your choice for a demo. This should satisfy your concerns about compatibility and sound quality.

what esactly do you wish to purchase for 10k

only speakers or powered speakers or powered speakers plus a source

what electronics do you own and would like to incorportae in the total scheme of things except your tv and PC

if its just speakers
look at at norge MD 75 i think

if its powered speakers look at Audioengine A2
Audioengine A2 Review

if its spekers amplification and source look at a phillips personal system
only the latter will probably do usb connectivity though

usb playback is a function of your source rather than amplification or spekers

Hi Magma,

I need a solution that fulfills my complete requirements as listed in the original post - if it involves buying the source,amplifier and speakers or any sort of combination or may be off the shelf solution it would be fine with me.

Kindly advise on such a solution.

I need connectivity with PC so that I can reuse the speakers.

Try visiting stores which carry both dvd players and speakers from different brands... like Reliance Digital, Croma, etc. You can request the salesman to connect speakers and dvd players of your choice for a demo. This should satisfy your concerns about compatibility and sound quality.

In which Reliance and Croma you saw 2 channel amplifiers???

Hi iaudio,

Thanks for your reply.

I would like to have some clarifications. Kindly respond
1) Is it possible to connect Altec lansing MX5021 speakers to a DVD player like LG DD 447 ? I mean do you see any technical issue like incompatibility of wires etc.

2) Are Norge 4242 and Topping tp20 mere amplifiers or they also provide features like DVD/USB playback along with amplification ?

Thanks again

1)Yes you can connect Altec Lansing MX5021 speaker to DVD player via LG DD 447.The needed accessories are given with Mx5021

2)Norge 4242 and Topping tp20 are Amplifiers and you need a source like your LG DD 447 player to use with amplifier.Incidentally you will also need speakers.

I think with your budget its best to go with Altec LAnsing Mx5021 or Klipsch 2.1 Speakers.:)

Sourabh

In your tight budget of Rs.10K, if you really want some good sound...
then first of all please chuck off the Creative, Intex, Altec Lansing's from your mind...

Search for some self amplified stereo speakers, which you can plug in through your PC...as your PC will have USB, MP3 playback, etc...

Prefer getting speakers with RCA input, in order to get better sound, compared to 3.5mm Headphone jack input...

You can look into options like AudioEngine A2, Klipsch, etc...they are around 8-15K...but are really good for sound reproduction...

Dont take a fast decision, do audition...

Hi sourabh.

In your budget you can't have a good component system.Audioengine A2s are powered speakers which you can connect to your PC.They are hailed as a very decent speakers for music.You don't have to buy separate source or amp.Our member physcotropic was having them.Give him PM. You can get them from here...

Audioengine USA AE2 Active Multimedia Speakers - Now in India! -

cheers,
sri

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back