Musical Fidelity DAC

Blasto, I have the V series phono stage, not the DAC. It is quite a lot less in price, but the shipping added and the VAT deducted evened out.

canchi, well summed up, and well detected. There are seven beats in my name: misra Tha , Dhi , Ghi Na Thom :)

Have seen those reviews and the reviewer concludes "In conclusion (finally), the V-DAC is a fantastic little DAC. There wasn't a moment where I felt it out performed the M1 but in most of my listening I had to listen bloody hard and extremely critically to pick out the better qualities of the M1.":D

So, I guess its vfm!

Blasto, I have the V series phono stage, not the DAC. It is quite a lot less in price, but the shipping added and the VAT deducted evened out.

canchi, well summed up, and well detected. There are seven beats in my name: misra Tha , Dhi , Ghi Na Thom :)

Misra as in mister?
Else its 5 beats and add a Tha Ka to your name and convert to misra chaapu!:lol:

In some airports in India and also abroad (Australia, Singapore come to mind) when you go through the Green channel through customs, they scan all your bags before you exit.

How'd you find out? Just curious

In most airports in India, they scan checked-in bags before they enter the luggage carousel and are marked with chalk if they have dutiable items. The customs officer at exit will check for those marks on your bag (my suggestion is to have a wet towel that you can use to "clean" your luggage before heading for customs :)

Hmm, whenever I came back from an international trip I've always just walked out the door with suitcase + trolley.
So I'm assuming the customs officer is the guy who sits at the exit and stops you?

Is this how they do it? By markings?

Hand luggage is typically also scanned and Digital SLR, multiple tablets etc are flagged for duty. You are just lucky that you haven't had any problems.

:S
I've seen hundreds of people get their hand baggage with tablets laptops and camera's scanned. I've never seen anyone getting flagged for duty. At which junction does this flagging occur?

Just wanting to know all this for my own knowledge because I have my Jamo d830 bookshelf speaker which I plan to bring back in from the US and have a bill for it at $500 which is 25.5k INR. Best to be equipped with the knowledge.

Though I've rarely ever seen someone with a suitcase get stopped at the delhi airport. Usually huge boxes and stuff.

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divakar7
In some airports in India and also abroad (Australia, Singapore come to mind) when you go through the Green channel through customs, they scan all your bags before you exit.

How'd you find out? Just curious

Because you have to submit all your luggage through a baggage scanner at customs before you exit the airport.

Quote:
In most airports in India, they scan checked-in bags before they enter the luggage carousel and are marked with chalk if they have dutiable items. The customs officer at exit will check for those marks on your bag (my suggestion is to have a wet towel that you can use to "clean" your luggage before heading for customs

Hmm, whenever I came back from an international trip I've always just walked out the door with suitcase + trolley.
So I'm assuming the customs officer is the guy who sits at the exit and stops you?

Is this how they do it? By markings?

Yup, the guys at customs green channel will check your luggage for chalk markings and will ask you about the contents. If they aren't satisfied, they may ask you to open your bags.

Quote:
Hand luggage is typically also scanned and Digital SLR, multiple tablets etc are flagged for duty. You are just lucky that you haven't had any problems.

:S
I've seen hundreds of people get their hand baggage with tablets laptops and camera's scanned. I've never seen anyone getting flagged for duty. At which junction does this flagging occur?

Usually the hand baggage scanner is just before you enter customs. It's only if you have multiple latptops/tablets that you are stopped. If you have a DSLR (small digicams dont count), they will ask you to show the customs declaration form if you exit Desh with the DSLR camera. Otherwise, you stand a good chance of paying duty.

Just wanting to know all this for my own knowledge because I have my Jamo d830 bookshelf speaker which I plan to bring back in from the US and have a bill for it at $500 which is 25.5k INR. Best to be equipped with the knowledge.
Though I've rarely ever seen someone with a suitcase get stopped at the delhi airport. Usually huge boxes and stuff. [/QUOTE]

Delhi is the only airport where I had to pay duty. I was bringing a new Rega PLanar turntable in a seperate box. If you have your speakers in your luggage and they aren't in original packing etc. you may still slip through. All the best!

Have seen those reviews and the reviewer concludes "In conclusion (finally), the V-DAC is a fantastic little DAC. There wasn't a moment where I felt it out performed the M1 but in most of my listening I had to listen bloody hard and extremely critically to pick out the better qualities of the M1.":D

So, I guess its vfm!

No doubts!!
If your system is <2L, My assumption is, it will find it hard to distinguish between the 2 DACs.
For someone spending 2L on a system though, the last bit of finesse of the M1 will help for relatively low difference. :)

In most airports in India, they scan checked-in bags before they enter the luggage carousel and are marked with chalk if they have dutiable items. The customs officer at exit will check for those marks on your bag (my suggestion is to have a wet towel that you can use to "clean" your luggage before heading for customs :)

I once had my baggage chalk marked as i was carrying car audio amps. I took a a bunch of wet tissues and kept erasing the cross bit by bit without being too obviously noticed and i actually went through without paying customs.

Misra as in mister?
Else its 5 beats and add a Tha Ka to your name and convert to misra chaapu!:lol:
Offtopic, but, please count the commas. This is the standard misra-jatti Tha Dhi Ghi Na Thom*. If unused to this notation, you could think of it as Tha Dhi GhiNaThom. You can feel from that how I derived my name. It is a matter of pace, rhythm and timing :clapping: !

The V-DAC II is half the price of the M1. One could almost read MF's notes about the V range, and the proportion of cost that gets actually spent on electronics, as a recommendation to buy the V!

For some, GBP.400 is not a great deal of money to spend on a hifi component, and may even be below their budget range. For many of the rest of us, even GBP.200 is rather a lot of money, and if it is reviewed as being almost equal to a unit twice its cost, it looks very attractive.

*Utterly Offtopic PS:

5: Tha Dhi Ghi Na Thom
6: Tha Dhi , Ghi Na Thom
7: Tha , Dhi , Ghi Na Thom
8: Tha Dhi , Ghi , Na , Thom
9: Tha , Dhi , Ghi , Na , Thom

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, the reminder, and for introducing me to Divine Audio :)

Another thought on M1 v V-DAC II: the V-PSU might possibly close that small gap? But at another 150, it almost closes the cost gap too --- unless one is going to power several V-series (up to three, ISTR?) units with it.

@Canchi.
Got call. They are ordering new stock of V-DAC II.

17.5k and delevery before May-1st week.
You can ask if they give without 14.5% VAT over it. That would be similar to UK prices. I did not ask.

Iam updating the original thread.

@Canchi.
Got call. They are ordering new stock of V-DAC II.

17.5k and delevery before May-1st week.
You can ask if they give without 14.5% VAT over it. That would be similar to UK prices. I did not ask.

Iam updating the original thread.

I guess Audio People has branches in Hyderabad and Chennai, None in Blore? Any idea who to talk to?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back