Musical Fidelity DAC

canchi

Am planning to buy the Musical Fidelity V-DAC II from amazon but this has a 120v (120v to 12v) power supply; should I buy a seperate power supply ( 220 to 12V) here for this, would this be compatible?
Getting it thru a friend in the US who is coming here next wk , anyway to mark it to avoid customs duty?
Is this the same as the V-DAC MKII?
Cheers and TIA

Yes a 220v 12v should work just fine and is quite easy to get. It's a small little thing that can easily go inside checked baggage. You dont even need to mark it to avoid customs. They don't normally check bags once you've landed. Only if you have something that isnt a suitcase with a heavy duty box or something.

Am planning to buy the Musical Fidelity V-DAC II from amazon but this has a 120v (120v to 12v) power supply; should I buy a seperate power supply ( 220 to 12V) here for this, would this be compatible?
Getting it thru a friend in the US who is coming here next wk , anyway to mark it to avoid customs duty?
Is this the same as the V-DAC MKII?
Cheers and TIA

Its costs same amount locally. Plus you get 220. Check with Audio People.

Yes a 220v 12v should work just fine and is quite easy to get. It's a small little thing that can easily go inside checked baggage. You dont even need to mark it to avoid customs. They don't normally check bags once you've landed. Only if you have something that isnt a suitcase with a heavy duty box or something.
Are you saying that I could buy the power supply here? I hope there is no proprietary connection between the power supply and the V-DAC?

Are you saying that I could buy the power supply here? I hope there is no proprietary connection between the power supply and the V-DAC?

When you normally buy a 12v power adapter they come with several head slip on pieces. However it's best you look up the dac's pitures and see what kind of head it uses.

They don't normally check bags once you've landed. Only if you have something that isnt a suitcase with a heavy duty box or something.
At many airports, including Bangalore, customs will compulsarily check all your baggage with X-Ray scanner. There's no escaping the long hands of the govt. reaching for your wallet :p

At many airports, including Bangalore, customs will compulsarily check all your baggage with X-Ray scanner. There's no escaping the long hands of the govt. reaching for your wallet :p

Which baggage, departing or arrival? where is the scanner? if bag does not pop out of the belts, who tells you to come and pay customs? Through all my travels with suitcases ive never ever been asked anything about my suitcase after I've arrived other than in washington DC.

In some airports in India and also abroad (Australia, Singapore come to mind) when you go through the Green channel through customs, they scan all your bags before you exit.

In most airports in India, they scan checked-in bags before they enter the luggage carousel and are marked with chalk if they have dutiable items. The customs officer at exit will check for those marks on your bag (my suggestion is to have a wet towel that you can use to "clean" your luggage before heading for customs :)

Hand luggage is typically also scanned and Digital SLR, multiple tablets etc are flagged for duty. You are just lucky that you haven't had any problems.

Called the Audio People in Chennai, they dont have it , but do expect it to reach them in a month or two.They are mum on the cost :sad:.

Contact "Blasto". He should have the prices or at least approximate prices.

You can use a local 12V adapter/PSU (or whatever the requirement is). Also, it supposedly improves the SQ. But MF explicitly forbids using any other power supply.

I have seen one blister packed V-DAC in Audio People Hyderabad.
You want the best price, let me know. MRP is 20.5k. You can get 15% discount without bargain.

Try Divine Audio in UK.

At least two of us here have bought MF V-series products from them. MF really do not waste money on the package, so it looks cheap. Despatched in a jiffy bag, my V-LPS-II came through customs with, apparently, barely a glance and no duty charged.

Of course, that might just have been luck.

OP, I apologize about the OT.

Which baggage, departing or arrival? where is the scanner? if bag does not pop out of the belts, who tells you to come and pay customs? Through all my travels with suitcases ive never ever been asked anything about my suitcase after I've arrived other than in washington DC.

I'm talking about arrival in India. In Bangalore, if you walk out to the "green channel", customs guys will compulsarily x-ray scan all your baggage (cabin & luggage) for 'contraband' :lol:

A relative had confirmed that its same procedure at Chennai too.

I actually dont know about the 'red channel' procedure, but I doubt it would be any different.

I guess you guys have been lucky at Delhi airport, but I wouldn't count on it remainging like that for too long.

In most airports in India, they scan checked-in bags before they enter the luggage carousel and are marked with chalk if they have dutiable items. The customs officer at exit will check for those marks on your bag (my suggestion is to have a wet towel that you can use to "clean" your luggage before heading for customs :)

Interesting. Never realized that.

A relative had confirmed that its same procedure at Chennai too.

I actually dont know about the 'red channel' procedure, but I doubt it would be any different.
It's about a year since I travelled internationally, but, unless things have changed, this is how it works in Chennai...

All your checked-in luggage will have been x-rayed before you collect it. Your hand-held stuff is x-rayed as you enter the baggage hall.

Anything that interests customs gets marked, and, assuming the mark is noticed as you walk through the green channel, you will be stopped for further s-ray, opening of bags, etc.

The probably have other procedures for stuff that really, really interests them. These might include dogs, very burly officers, and an extremely unpleasant experience. Let's hope none of us ever get that interesting!

Try Divine Audio in UK.

At least two of us here have bought MF V-series products from them. MF really do not waste money on the package, so it looks cheap. Despatched in a jiffy bag, my V-LPS-II came through customs with, apparently, barely a glance and no duty charged.

Of course, that might just have been luck.

Hi Sir, Can you update the pricing you got from divine audio for V-DAC? That will help me negotiate.
Getting from India will avoid customs hazzle and will give you 1 year warrenty too.

As I have seen, the M1 DAC atleast has equivalent pricing in India as in UK.

Am very interested. Have PM-ed you !

Hey Canchi,

Tone down your eagerness a bit when you call dealers.. lol..
If you ask with such eagerness, noone will reduce a penny.. :D
As mentioned in PM, Will get back with the pricing and update here.

Hi Sir, Can you update the pricing you got from divine audio for V-DAC? That will help me negotiate.
Getting from India will avoid customs hazzle and will give you 1 year warrenty too.

As I have seen, the M1 DAC atleast has equivalent pricing in India as in UK.

I have seen the divine audio website today and the price of v-dac mk II with shipping and with vat removed is 183 pounds ( about 14.8k INR). A HFV (SVKNDV) member has bought it for the same price 2 mths ago. No customs charged and our HFV member with that percussive name (Tha Dhi Gi Na Thom; nice one, by the way) surmises that this is because the packing by MF looks cheap!

I have seen the divine audio website today and the price of v-dac mk II with shipping and with vat removed is 183 pounds ( about 14.8k INR).

Thats a good statring point I guess. I will update pricing here.
A small talk with the dealer revealed that they get stuff much cheaper from MF since they are distributers but they pay VAT @ 14.5% and Import Duty @55% which adds up more than UK prices!!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back