Must visit hi-end audio showrooms to visit in Mumbai...

Hello,
I shall be in Mumbai for a few days shortly. So, let me know of the major Hi-fi stores which I should visit. (As there aren't too many good ones in Kolkata)

Lakozy - PSB, Definitve, NAD
The Shop - Mordaunt Short, Canton, Cambridge Audio
Boomarang - Monitor Audio, Quad, Dali, Marantz, Pioneer
Designer Audio - AAD, Quad, Denon, Wharfedale
ProFX - KEF, Focal, Denon, Polk
Thump - Mirage, Energy, Marantz
JBL - JBL, HK, Infinity

Hello,
I shall be in Mumbai for a few days shortly. So, let me know of the major Hi-fi stores which I should visit. (As there aren't too many good ones in Kolkata)

Lakozy - PSB, Definitve, NAD
The Shop - Mordaunt Short, Canton, Cambridge Audio
Boomarang - Monitor Audio, Quad, Dali, Marantz, Pioneer
Designer Audio - AAD, Quad, Denon, Wharfedale
ProFX - KEF, Focal, Denon, Polk
Thump - Mirage, Energy, Marantz
JBL - JBL, HK, Infinity

Thanks! If you don't mind... addresses please! :)

Also, I see ATC missing from that list of brands. Where can I hear the likes of the SCM11, SCM19 and SCM40?

Last edited:
Thanks! If you don't mind... addresses please! :)

Also, I see ATC missing from that list of brands. Where can I hear the likes of the SCM11, SCM19 and SCM40?

Lakozy - La-Kozy Mansion,21,Chowpatty Seaface, Mumbai, Maharashtra, INDIA PIN-400007 # 022-23697001

The Shop - Elegant House, Plot No 195, D N Nagar, Building No 35, Andheri (West)
New Andheri-Oshiwara Link Road, Mumbai, 022 26204706

Boomarang - Juhu Tara Rd, Juhu Mumbai- 400049 # 022-26194452
- Shop No. 11-12, Vasant Marvel, Eastern Express Highway, Borivali
East, Mumbai # 022 28548910

Designer Audio - 9, Ground Floor, Arun Chamber
Tardeo, Mumbai # 022 23520320

ProFX - 246, ATRIA MALL, WORLI MUMBAI, # 022 6660 8164

Audio Vision India or A2V you Must visit (keeping in mind that those guys think they live in Heaven & you are just an ant trying your best to creep into their strictly reserved territory!). What you'll get to see there are:
top-of-the-line B&Ws | Wilson Audio speakers | maybe some Magnepans | Classe electronics | Jeff Rowland electronics | Theta Digital | Audio Research electronics | and some more.....

check out their details from their site: Audio Vision India

A2V are the 'best' D & D's in India.
They have a good store & full stock on demo & you can compare different products @ same price points.
Martin Logan / Audio Research / Q Sonics are a few other things they stock & sell.

Also, try and see if you could hear the Sonus Faber too. They are magnificent. Try and look up SNV for them plus also the dcS gear. Also must hear some ProAcs if you can. Can't tell you where. And Finally, pay Soundsmiths a visit. See what they have.

Sonus Faber & dCS are with La Kozy @ Chowpatty.
They are the Dealers for SNV in Mumbai.

The Puccini is on demo there.
The Scarlatti is @ my place for the next 15 days - also on 'demo' !

Sonus Faber is a great Italain speaker maker.

Proac is sold from Cochin - does not have a dealer here in Mumbai.

Accuphase & Avalon & Morel are sold in Mumbai by Priti Trading Corporation. Demo should be possible. Look them up.

Soundsmiths will sell Dynaudio etc. Their address too can be looked up.

All the Best !

Do listen & post.

:clapping:

Most addresses already provided.

Thump: Atria Mall, Worli
JBL, HK & Infinity - Palladium Mall, Phoenix Mills, Lower Parel

Can I add semi?
say Vijaysales (Dadar) for Yamaha,
Sumaria (Dadar) Denon,Jamo,HK,Yamaha,Onkyo.

Most addresses already provided.

Thump: Atria Mall, Worli
JBL, HK & Infinity - Palladium Mall, Phoenix Mills, Lower Parel

yes;
these slipped my mind;
Cary / Mirage / Energy etc. are @ Thump.

I think Sumaria sells Amphion - Finland - too [not sure]

All the Best !

Do visit all & write about your experiances & the quality of audio & service etc.

< bhanja_trinanjan > well, I think you have more than you can handle in a few days out there for your Mumbai trip.

A piece of advise though: Please keep an open mind when you audition anything out there, remembering that it would sound different if you should decide to buy it & bring it to your home. It always does! Unfortunately, home demos aren't available & that's why we all try & take chances when making an audio investment. It may work so well that it will keep you happy ever after or it may not work for you which you'll realize within 30 days after purchase esp after the thrill of a new possession wears off and you seriously get down to listening to your music. :)

Yeah... that's why I largely stick to headphones... ;)

But I am going to get into speakers in a big way soon! :yahoo:

@ bhanja_trinanjan :

Did you complete your rounds with the Mumbai Audio stores ? If so, please post details, what you liked and the outcome. The info may be helpful to others in the Forum - away from Mumbai.

Regards

Oh yes! Thanks for asking... :D

I shall post my impressions soon.

I also got a new pair of AKG K702 headphones a few weeks ago to complement my K701s which cannot be recabled.

So, I got the K702 and have ordered a ALO Audio Custom SXC cable for the K702, which is said to improve the K702 by a fair bit.

The speakers that I heard are:

QUAD ESL-2805

Monitor Audio Gold GS10

Dali Helikon 300 MKII

PSB Platinum M2

Sonus Faber Toy

B & W CM5

Focal Electra 1008 BE

I will post my impressions shortly... but raw resolution of detail wise, my AKGs still rock.. (yes those speakers have their strengths!)

Last edited:
Brief impressions...

Quad ESL-2805 @ Boomerang:

Good:

Exceptional linearity, speed and timing though the upper mid-range to the treble.

Nice mid-range.

Bad:

Lacks the dynamic power to render an orchestra at full tilt.

Very, very muted in comparison to dynamic speakers... not much headroom in terms of loudness... not much slam.

The pair I heard had something wrong tonally in the bass, mid-bass and lower mid-range. Sounded very weird.

Also, loud dynamic peaks clipped heavily showing distortion aplenty.

Monitor Audio Gold GS10 @ Boomerang:

Good:

Very nice, natural tonality in the mid-range, upper mid-range. Very clean, extended treble, although not as good as that of the electrostat.

Nice timing.

Fairly tight bass.

Bad:

Small upper bass hump to give an impression of deep bass extension.

Upper bass a bit colored, lacking adequate texture and resolution.

Overall resolution of detail very average compared with my AKG K702. Small ambient noises, inner detail of piano notes(sensation of hammer hitting string), players breathing, turning notation pages, some poor fellow coughing, something squeaking/creaking somewhere... the AKGs take it to another level!

Summary: Leaving the slightly colored bass aside and the lack of detail retrieval, the GS10 impresses with very natural tonality and dynamics.

Dali Helikon 300 MKII

Very nice, but bass is loose and vague... so I am not interested.

PSB Platinum M2 @ Lakozy:

Quite a lot more transparent than the Monitor Audio GS10, but still not as resolving as my AKGs.

Highs nicely extended, but a little dry, lacking sweetness.

Very nice upper mid-range too!

But, one HUGE FLAW in a nice speaker.

The lower mid-bass, mid-range and the lower mid-range have this weird hollow echo-ey coloration; as if the music is playing inside a closed metal tank... as if somebody put a hollow tube to your ear and played the music at one end. Or just imagine, you cupped your ears with one hand... Never heard this coloration before and it was disgusting.

The NAD CD player and amp were probably not the culprit.... but I honestly don't know.

Sonus Faber Toy@Lakozy:

Cute and tiny bookshelf with a nice mid-range, upper-mid and treble... but that's where the positives end.

Lacks the scale and soundstage of the larger bookshelfs.

Also timing is just not snappy enough... the sense of speed and rhythm of the other speakers and my AKG phones is missing.

B & W CM5@ Audio Vision India:

Best bass of this group and also has the highest resolution of detail... approaching my AKGs and surpassing them at times.

However, overall tonality somewhat weird and not as balanced as that of the Monitor Audio GS10.

The Blu-ray player feeding them could be the culprit.

Focal Electra 1008 BE @ The Atrium:

Excellent resolution of detail, but a sterile listen, lacking involvement and finesse.

Just not enough integration between the treble and the rest of the spectrum. Violins sound too sharp and tilted up, lacking enough connection with the body resonance.

Also, the left speaker had a slight bug in the driver, that caused it to distort a bit.

Winner overall:

Monitor Audio GS10, in spite of its low resolution and slightly colored bass.

Overall sound quality wise, my AKG phones still rule over them all... although they too are not without flaws and are beaten by the above speakers in a number of areas... But not across the board.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back