My 2-Channel Audio Gear including DIY Speakers

ishlesh

Hi,

Have been planning to post this for 1+ year now.

The setup is nearing its 2nd birthday - all started in May 2006.

Source:
  • Sony CDP S45
  • Videocon VD 6000 Universal Player
  • DNM AM/ FM Tuner TU-312
Amplification:
  • Woodstock Integrated Amplifier - AW 602
  • Woodstock Graphic Equaliser - EQ1000
Speakers:
  • DIY: 3-Way Speakers (Details in next post)

Attachments

• Picture 002 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 002 (Medium).jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 621
  • Picture 013 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 013 (Medium).jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 605
  • Picture 016 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 016 (Medium).jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 598
  • Picture 011 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 011 (Medium).jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 597
  • Picture 008 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 008 (Medium).jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 596
DIY 3-Way Speakers:

Construction:
  • Nuwud 19 mm board
  • Laminated except back
  • Braced Cabinet
  • Separate Enclosure for Midrange+Tweeter
  • Glass-wool Filling
  • Banana Plugs at rear
Drivers:
  • Low Freq: 12" Woofer - Bolton
  • Mid Freq: 6.5" Midrange - Bolton
  • High Freq: Dome Tweeter - Philips
These were probalbly the best drivers available in North India (which I knew of at that time)

Attachments

• Picture 005 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 005 (Medium).jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 595
  • Picture 006 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 006 (Medium).jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 588
  • Picture 009 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 009 (Medium).jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 582
  • Picture 010 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 010 (Medium).jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 584
Nice work! They look massive.

Thank you so much...
Tried to match these with couple of amps including Yamaha AX-497 and Marantz.

But both sounded too-underpowered for these.
Woodstock came out to be good match (though would still prefer to try Cambridge/ HK once)

To me, they actually sound better than actual Woodstock Speakers matched with Woodstock Amp. Reasoning could be:
  • Suppressed Mid-Frequencies in Woodstock Speakers
  • Very Heavy Bass in Woodstock Speakers (old Indian Choice)

While these sound more natural, thanks to
  • 6.5" Midrange - very clear Vocals
  • Apt & tight Bass

Regards,

Ishlesh

Great work!
Would you like to share your crossover design?
More details about the amp - cost, wattage etc.

Thanks.
The Amp is from one of the firm named 'WOODSTOCK', based out of Delhi.
This brand is quite popular in North, though you would seldom find anything about it on net -- the guy owning the same - 'Suresh' has the least interest in marketing the same.
You may wish to reach him at 011-28741353

The firm manufacture quite a series of amps, ranging frpm 40 rms till 120 rms.

The one in pic is their heaviest - ie AW 602 with 120 watts rms, and costed about 12000/- an year+ back.
The equaliser costed 5000/-.

Regards,

Ishlesh

what sub are you using? The one which is acting as a stand for your equipment in the pics?

This is a 2-Channel Stereo setup - there is no seperate sub. Each of these Floorstanders is equipped with 12" Driver for LF (Woofer/ Bass Drive).

The same gives enough punch

Regards,

Ishlesh

This is a 2-Channel Stereo setup - there is no seperate sub. Each of these Floorstanders is equipped with 12" Driver for LF (Woofer/ Bass Drive).

Regards,

Ishlesh

Lovely speakers and setup. The speakers resemble my floorstanders from Craftel. Hope you really enjoy with the 12" woofers.

Regards,
Muthu

Hi ishlesh

Interesting work! What is the model number of the Bolton 12" woofer that you are using? How much did they cost you?

Regards

Reminds me of college days :)
I used to make speakers like these with bolton and philips dome tweeters to make some pocket money. Some of my friends stil keep them. 14 years on and they still work !;)

Reminds me of college days :)
I used to make speakers like these with bolton and philips dome tweeters to make some pocket money. Some of my friends stil keep them. 14 years on and they still work !;)

Even mine first DIY Floorstanders were in 1994 (i.e. approx 14 yrs back - was in XII grade then) - using all Philips Drivers (8" Woofer + 3.5" MF + Cone Tweeter) - and they too are still very well on Job...

nice work dude ,

How do you compare your system with other Indian brands? that Sony S45 CDP is the one i have seen in most of the recording shops . i think they are made particularly for rough use.

mohan.

good work, ishlesh, can i get woodstock now-a-days
I have got amplifier from lajpatrai market which is audiocon looks like woodstock which i am plying with woodstock speakers but the quality of music is not so good. The treble is not so tingly. Will u plz suggest me. I have also got one other woodstock amp - SA 4000 but it is not so powerful.:mad:

Wow, nice DIY mate!!

Apologies for going OT on your thread, but your speakers with 12 inch woofers remind me of a pair of speakers I had auditioned sometime around 1998. The brand was an Indian brand called Cosmic, anybody remembers them? I did not have my own stereo setup in those days and I was really impressed with this pair like never before never after. Later in 2003 when I had started putting my rig together, I tried to get a pair, but the company had closed down. My friend still has a pair of these.

Regards,

Ishlesh

Ishlesh, plz tell me whether bolton woofers and philips speakers/tweeters are still sold in chandigarh. We used to purchse philips from sector 18's venus radios.:sad::sad:

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back