My Altec Project

shafic

my altec journey - the beginning...

Recently the 'ALTEC' bug bit me, that too fiercely!!:eek:hyeah:

Presenting the fruits of a vigorous search that ensued.

1. A pair of ALTEC 15' woofers model 515. Just got them today.

The cones need to be replaced. Will go for GPA cones.

2 Altec 515 Woofer Red White Blue Woofers | eBay

2. ALTEC 802-D , 808 - 8A, 908 - 8A and JBL compression drivers also a ALTEC 511 HORN. I have Altec N 1285 - 8A dividing crossover also.

The 802-D and 808-8A both have 8 ohms diaphragm.

I have not yet decided whether to go for OB or for cabs like ALTEC Valencia.

Ideas are welcome.

regds,

shafic

Special thanks to Mr. RAJIV for his support and clarifications of my doubts. I will trouble him some more now.:D:D

Also Mr RAJAGOPAL whose OB provoked me.

Last edited:
Congrats Shafic :clapping:

My vote would be for the Valencia cabs :licklips:

Would love to read about your progress on the build & also visit when they are ready for listening session :D

You can try putting the woofer in an advance TL and the compression driver in a spherical horn like the Avantgrade UNO.

some kryptonite would make it fly too i suppose..

but seriously.. looking forward to the development of this. Have always wondered about the large driver sound. will be nice to listen to i suppose.

good luck !

mpw

All the drivers seem to be too shy with the new owner. All are showing their back to the camera :eek:hyeah:

Congrats shafic and looking forward to the finished DIY magic.

All the drivers seem to be too shy with the new owner. All are showing their back to the camera :eek:hyeah:

Congrats shafic and looking forward to the finished DIY magic.

They will show their faces after a makeover!!:lol:

some kryptonite would make it fly too i suppose..

but seriously.. looking forward to the development of this. Have always wondered about the large driver sound. will be nice to listen to i suppose.

good luck !

mpw

I heard the Goodmans 12" FR driver last week @ Shafic and was eager to possess them for their magical midrange. Shafic mentioned that it was due to the 'Alnico' magnet for their midrange presence and sweetness. How much i wished to have them for myself to build a Advance TL and make them fly too.

How much i wished to have them for myself to build a Advance TL and make them fly too.

Those are 10' Dew Alnico Goodmans. Soon, i will find one for you sir.

I have 2 pairs of Philips 9710M also. I got them in a bad condition and trying to save their voice coils and cones. Any suggestions pls.

regds,
shafic

Last edited:
OMG!! You should be on a Pirate ship hunting treasures or on a National Geographic Expedition hunting for sunken ships. You are well and truly in the wrong business :)

OMG!! You should be on a Pirate ship hunting treasures or on a National Geographic Expedition hunting for sunken ships.

You are well and truly in the wrong business
:)

Yes Reuben!! I am enjoying this passion:rolleyes: My dream is a cute record shop with coffee & cake. But unfortunately i don't have a big enough place for this dream.

But if i continue at this speed may be this will happen!!, soon.:D ( Pls see speakers in place of the PC, also read Facebook as HIFIVision):D

Last edited:
I heard the Goodmans 12" FR driver last week @ Shafic and was eager to possess them for their magical midrange. Shafic mentioned that it was due to the 'Alnico' magnet for their midrange presence and sweetness. How much i wished to have them for myself to build a Advance TL and make them fly too.

A few months ago when I visited Shafics home he had these Goodmans co-axials.

Goodmans Triaxiom 1220c - 1960's Vintage Coaxial Speakers, Yamaha CD-S2000, Yamaha AS-2000 - YouTube

They are Ceramic magnets, what Goodmans called their 'Feroba II anisotropic ceramic magnet'. and not Alnico.

Nice drivers!!!

It is very much possible that Shafic has some other Goodmans drivers now, given that he is such a prolific buyer and seller. And in that case I stand corrected and would love to see some photographs of the new drivers. :)

Best Regards,

Hi,

If the Goodmans drivers you heard are the Axiom 301 that Shafic recently acquired then they are ceramic magnet drivers.

The alnico version is the Axiom 300.

Regards
Rajiv

If the Goodmans drivers you heard are the Axiom 301 that Shafic recently acquired then they are ceramic magnet drivers.

The alnico version is the Axiom 300.

Regards
Rajiv

QUOTE=shafic;590147]Those are 10' Dew Alnico Goodmans.
regds,
shafic

As i have mentioned in my previous post on the same page, the Goodmans that Mr. Hari Iyer heard are 10' full range Alnico ones. They are fantastic.

regds,
shafic

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back