My Altec Project

Hi,

Those are 10' Dew Alnico Goodmans. Soon, i will find one for you sir.

Dew magnets. Interesting, I know that Tannoy used Kurt Muller cones but was not aware that Goodmans used the German "DEW " magnets.

Pictures of the drivers ( front and rear) will be welcome. Any idea of the model number of the Goodmans drivers?

Regards
Rajiv

Dew magnets. Interesting, I know that Tannoy used Kurt Muller cones but was not aware that Goodmans used the German "DEW " magnets.

Hi Rajiv sir,

I very much appreciate these nuggets of information that you share. It shows your knowledge and wisdom about vintage audio. Thank you.

I have heard many Alnico and ceramic FR drivers. But my personal opinion is, this particular Alnico FR speaker is something special. i will update you.

regds,
shafic

Last edited:
I got curious so approached Googlebaba

Saba also should be a DEW magnet. DEW is a company owned by BOSCH which had the rights or the license to make Alnico based magnets for the German/European market.

I have heard many Alnico and ceramic FR drivers. But my personal opinion is, this particular Alnico FR speaker is something special. i will update you.

Can you tell us the model numbers. I don't think Goodmans used DEW magnets. If these are the Axiom 10 then they are ceramic magnets like your Axiom 301.

It is best if you can clarify the model number of the drivers.

Last edited:
Due to full of attachment box, unable to upload the pics here, now.

I will post the pics soon.
regds,
shafic

Last edited:
Saba also should be a DEW magnet. DEW is a company owned by BOSCH which had the rights or the license to make Alnico based magnets for the German/European market.

Can you tell us the model numbers. I don't think Goodmans used DEW magnets. If these are the Axiom 10 then they are ceramic magnets like your Axiom 301.
It is best if you can clarify the model number of the drivers.

Dear friends,
Here are some pics of the Goodman's 10' FR drivers. Pls bear with me if i am wrong.In the background, the SABA 'DEW' magnet 10' FR drivers and my 'TANNOY' HPD 15' drivers.
regds,
shafic

Last edited:
Hi,

Here are some pics of the Goodman's 10' FR drivers. Pls bear with me if i am wrong.In the background, the SABA 'DEW' magnet 10' FR drivers and my 'TANNOY' HPD 15' drivers.

Thanks for the pictures.

Some close up pictures will help in identifying the driver models. Pictures of the front of the drivers ( Tannoys too please) showing the cones will be useful.

Regards
Rajiv

Goodman's 10' FR drivers.
Can only tell it is goodmans, can't make out model number or anything else to tell if it is a full ranger or woofer, type of magnet, etc.

the SABA 'DEW' magnet 10' FR drivers
If these are the drivers between the tannoy and the goodmans, then they are not 10" they will probably be 6" or 8". If you note, they are much smaller that the Goodmans 10" drivers, either the saba has to be smaller or the goodmans are larger than 10". Also without looking at the back plate we can't tell if they have dew magnets not all saba's came with dew magnets. Also DEW magnets or not its only the Saba green cones which are outstanding can't tell that without looking at the cone paper.

'TANNOY' HPD 15' drivers.
Can you post pictures of the cone paper and condition of the surround?

Can you in general post better pictures including the front where we can find better information about these drivers. Definitely post pictures of the cone paper and surrounds as well except the Tannoys you can't find replacement paper for any of the other drivers so they are useless unless you can find recone kits.

Thanks for the information.

Here, i am positing some clear pics of the Goodmans 10' driver. Hope this will clear the doubts.

except the Tannoys you can't find replacement paper for any of the other drivers so they are useless unless you can find recone kits.

Yes, you are right. Recone kits are not available now days.

I will post the pics of the other drivers in different thread.

regds,
shafic

Last edited:
Hi

I have been to Shafics place twice in the last week.

Heard most of the speakers/drivers he has.

The Large Advents, Goodmans Triaxiom, Goodmans 12 inch, Goodmans 10 inch with Dew magnet, Tannoy HPD 15, Saba, Rola 12 inch silver alnico guitar speakers.

To my ears, the speaker that was way ahead of the pack was the Saba. It only needs to get into a better cabinet. The negatives, if any, were it cannot play very loud. Maybe that issue too might get sorted out with a better cabinet.

Thanks Shafic for having me over twice in the last week. Appreciate the time and effort you took to connect each speaker and let me hear them

Last edited:
It only needs to get into a better cabinet. The negatives , if any, were it cannot play very loud. Maybe that issue too might get sorted out with a better cabinet.
Better cabinets for SABA that is one of my dream projects.

Thanks Shafic for having me over twice in the last week. Appreciate the time and effort you took to connect each speaker and let me hear them

Thanks Prem, it was a pleasure having you over.

Hi Hari

You must have heard the Saba with the Mcintosh. That combo doesn't work. The Saba sings when it is connected with the Scott amp. The bass is still lacking but a well designed cabinet can add another 15 hz to the bass which should be more than enough for that room. In its present form my gut feel is Shafic gets bass upto about 60 hz. With a proper cabinet he will get bass upto about 45 hz

I also echo the views of Prem and Hari about the Saba speakers. I heard it with the McIntosh power amp. As per me, that pair sounds the best among the many speakers that Shafic has.

But being much smaller speakers, they don't go as deep as his other larger speakers. But if one can look past that, there's no denying the coherence and clarity of the vintage German SABA speakers.

Josh,

You and Hari have heard the SABA with McIntosh power amp and Lyrita tube pre amp combo. The music was so clean but the bass was thin.

Prem heard the Marantz 1060 SS ( as pre) + McIntosh power with SABA initially then with Scott 72B.

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back