My Digital Audio Processor

Hi Ravindra,
I'm very much pleased to read your posts here and to know about your products.
I'm not an audiophile but have been learning a lot on these things through this forum by people like you.
I've a setup for my TV where an outdated creative DDTS-100 decoder drives the optical signal from TV, process the signal to desired formats such as Dolby, Neo in either Stereo or 5.1/7.1 and this is fed to a stereo amplifier (which takes only analog signals as input). Here's the link for my post click here

With respect to this, how different would be the setup with your product?. I understand that your product has a way to send constant sound output to speakers irrespective of fluctuations ....
Thanks to let me know.

Hi Ravindra,
I'm very much pleased to read your posts here and to know about your products.
I'm not an audiophile but have been learning a lot on these things through this forum by people like you.
I've a setup for my TV where an outdated creative DDTS-100 decoder drives the optical signal from TV, process the signal to desired formats such as Dolby, Neo in either Stereo or 5.1/7.1 and this is fed to a stereo amplifier (which takes only analog signals as input). Here's the link for my post click here

With respect to this, how different would be the setup with your product?. I understand that your product has a way to send constant sound output to speakers irrespective of fluctuations ....
Thanks to let me know.

I have posted my reply here.

Regards,

Ravindra.

Wow sounds interesting. From what I understand, it's like mini DSP? I connect a source to it, program it, configure it and then hook it up to a receiver or a stereo amp to drive the speakers?

Can I set up cross overs, split inputs to available outputs, do a bit of eq?

Apologies if you have already answered these, I got too excited to ask questions before reading through the entire thread. Would love to try out out in my setup, any chance of doing that in Bangalore? Or do you have any demo videos to show it's functionality?

MaSh

Hello MaSh,

Wow sounds interesting. From what I understand, it's like mini DSP? I connect a source to it, program it, configure it and then hook it up to a receiver or a stereo amp to drive the speakers?

Can I set up cross overs, split inputs to available outputs, do a bit of eq?
MaSh

Thank you for your interest in my product!

The short answer to all your questions is YES!

I suggest that you go through the thread, especially post # 1, 4 and 9. Still better the entire thread. Let me know if you have any further questions and I'll be glad to answer.

You may want to take a look at My Audio Amplifier thread posted here and My Speaker System posted here.

Would love to try out out in my setup, any chance of doing that in Bangalore? Or do you have any demo videos to show it's functionality?
MaSh

Unfortunately, I don't have any demo videos. I do have a very elaborate demo set-up, here in Kolhapur, for 2.1CH Surround, 2.1CH Stereo and 2.0CH Stereo. You are welcome to visit me. You can then experience the algorithms that I have developed for these features and many more.

You can also develop your own algorithms/ applications, using SigmaStudio!

Regards,

Ravindra.

Hello again,

I was writing about how 2/3-way crossover designs are complex, in another thread on full range speakers.
Fortunately for me, I have an audioDSP where I am in complete control of what the outcome is going to be and that keeps me happy and confidant.

Below are some of the outcomes of crossover designs for a 2-way system that you can design for using my digital audio processor:

Fig.1: Is an example of a bad crossover design. There is a big gap between the Lo and the Hi resulting in complete loss of some frequencies
Fig.2: Is an example of a bad crossover design. There is not sufficient overlap between the Lo and the Hi resulting in some frequencies being subdued
Fig.3: Is an example of a bad crossover design. There is too much overlap between the Lo and the Hi resulting in some frequencies being over emphasized
Fig.4: Is an example of a good crossover design. There is correct overlap between the Lo and the Hi resulting good total frequency response
Fig.5: Is an example of a practical 2-way crossover with a sub-sonic filter. The overlap is correct. In a sealed enclosure, the subsonic filter can be used to minimise un-necessary loading on both the amplifier and the speakers. In a ported enclosure, the subsonic filter prevents driving the speaker with the frequencies below the port resonance where the cone excursion can be so high that it can damage the driver.

I hope that this helps in understanding crossover filter design to some extent and how active filter design using an audioDSP can help us build good and correct sound systems.
Do contribute with your thoughts and experiences.

Regards,

Ravindra.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    43.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    44 KB · Views: 22
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    44.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 4.PNG
    4.PNG
    43.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 5.PNG
    5.PNG
    42.6 KB · Views: 22
I use nothing proprietory and have developed my own algorithms to do this.
The processing algorithms are already there in the DSP chip. You have selected the DSP blocks (algorithms) in the chip and configured them to form a pipeline for data flow via Sigma Studio, is it correct?

The processing algorithms are already there in the DSP chip. You have selected the DSP blocks (algorithms) in the chip and configured them to form a pipeline for data flow via Sigma Studio, is it correct?

Yes, you are correct. But here is how it is:

The chip is a blank. Algorithms are picked from the library of Sigmastudio. The signal flow is compiled to get your application code.
This code is then programmed in the self-boot eeprom or loaded in the chip on every power-up using a microcontroller.

For 30% of my signal flow, I have used blocks available in the library. e.g. the crossover filter blocks discribed in post # 25 above.
However, for surround decoding, stereo processing etc. I have developed my own algorithms based on very low level blocks.
So yes, in effect, everything is mix and match of what is available in the library.

I hope that this helps.

Regards,

Ravindra.

Replies to queries posted here

I was wondering if you could Just Make the Preamp version of your AR, So user gets the flexibility in deciding the amplification and Speaker signature of his choice, Just an optimistic thinking further, if you could incorporate the digital inputs and your version of digital Phono inputs into the Preamplifier (Rather - Pre processor to be specific) it will cater to requirements of many. Some People can use 3 Powered Speakers & Active subwoofers or 3 Channel Poweramp + Active Sub to get the desired effect. Best of Luck with your future endeavours

The preamp version of the DSP is a very good suggestion. Users already having an AVR can use the analgue EXT IN input to power all the 5 channels and the subwoofer from this DSP preamp signal. Cost and overhead of an additional power amps can be saved. Also you get to use your current speakers.

The Digital Audio Processor (DAP) is a stand alone unit.
Here is how it can be used with an AVR:

The DAP can output Stereo (Lt-Rt) or Surround (C-S) on the same two outputs with a manual mini-toggle switch provided on the front panel.
The DAP Stereo and Surround Output will be derived form a Stereo input from either of the 2 x Line Inputs (RCA connectors), SPDIF Digital input (Optical or Co-axial selected by a jumper), or an optional Media Player (with USB, Bluetooth, SD Card, and FM + its own Aux-In) all built into the DAP unit.

These two outputs can be connected to analog auxillary input of the AVR. The AVR needs to run without any auto-calibration or EQ of any type to avoid unexpected results as the signal from the DAP is already processed. The AVR needs to be configured for Stereo Input mode.

For Stereo from DAP:
The AVR will output Lt on L amplifier connector and Rt on R amplifier connector if you have selected 2.0CH speaker configuration.
The AVR will output L on L amplifier connector and R on R amplifier connector and SW on SWOut connector if you have selected 2.1CH speaker configuration.

For Surround from DAP: Here the suggested speaker configuration setting is 2.1CH.
The AVR will output C on L amplifier connector and S on R amplifier connector and SW on SWOut connector

Let me know if this does not suit anyone or if you need any further customization.

Regards,

Ravindra.

The Digital Audio Processor (DAP) is a stand alone unit.
Here is how it can be used with an AVR:

The DAP can output Stereo (Lt-Rt) or Surround (C-S) on the same two outputs with a manual mini-toggle switch provided on the front panel.
The DAP Stereo and Surround Output will be derived form a Stereo input from either of the 2 x Line Inputs (RCA connectors), SPDIF Digital input (Optical or Co-axial selected by a jumper), or an optional Media Player (with USB, Bluetooth, SD Card, and FM + its own Aux-In) all built into the DAP unit.

These two outputs can be connected to analog auxillary input of the AVR. The AVR needs to run without any auto-calibration or EQ of any type to avoid unexpected results as the signal from the DAP is already processed. The AVR needs to be configured for Stereo Input mode.

For Stereo from DAP:
The AVR will output Lt on L amplifier connector and Rt on R amplifier connector if you have selected 2.0CH speaker configuration.
The AVR will output L on L amplifier connector and R on R amplifier connector and SW on SWOut connector if you have selected 2.1CH speaker configuration.

For Surround from DAP: Here the suggested speaker configuration setting is 2.1CH.
The AVR will output C on L amplifier connector and S on R amplifier connector and SW on SWOut connector

Let me know if this does not suit anyone or if you need any further customization.

Regards,

Ravindra.
I have a query here .read somewhere you mentioned that u are preprogramming the module according to your speaker spec/speaker cross over settings.
How it can be configured/manupulated without your involvement once if a buyer is planning to change to some other model or brand.
Hope my question is clear

I have a query here .read somewhere you mentioned that u are preprogramming the module according to your speaker spec/speaker cross over settings.
How it can be configured/manupulated without your involvement once if a buyer is planning to change to some other model or brand.
Hope my question is clear

Would it help if I give you four different crossover settings that you can choose from?: 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 140Hz
The satellites would receive frequencies above the crossover frequency and the SW below it.

Regards,

Ravindra.

Regards,

Ravindra.

Hey Hi,

I did not understand the underlined line above. What I understand is that my 5.1 channel receiver will get a Stereo input, correct? This would be the front Left and Right channels when in stereo mode. You say that C (Center Channel?) would be sent to L (Front Left Channel?) and S (Surround Left or Right?) to R (Front Right?)? Now how is my receiver going to differentiate all these channels and send to the corresponding speaker? I am sure I have missed something somewhere in understand the connections.

MaSh

Hey Hi,

I did not understand the underlined line above. What I understand is that my 5.1 channel receiver will get a Stereo input, correct? This would be the front Left and Right channels when in stereo mode. You say that C (Center Channel?) would be sent to L (Front Left Channel?) and S (Surround Left or Right?) to R (Front Right?)? Now how is my receiver going to differentiate all these channels and send to the corresponding speaker? I am sure I have missed something somewhere in understand the connections.

MaSh

You did not miss anything. You will need a relay that will connect stereo signal to one set of speakers and surround signal to another set. The relay is on my amplifier board.
For use with one's AVR, I will have to provide it on my DAP. Consider it done!

Regards,

Ravindra.

Hello guys,

The review thread by @tuff took a new turn with so many of you wanting to try out my DSP and that is nice and encouraging for me. Thank you!!
Especially those who have already invested in AVRs and speaker systems and want to try out my DSP.
However, I would like you all to take a step back and read the following carefully till the end.

Those with an AVR and at least a 5.1CH system are used to listening to movies with panning effects. Front panning, back panning, diagonal panning and what not.

With my 2.1CH DSP, the panning will only be from front to back and back to front as there is no left or right speakers. Also, even though there are two surround speakers, they carry the same signal. The surround is more like a cloud that moves from front to back or vice versa and not like a point that can go all around you. So as far as panned effects are concerned, my 2.1CH system is a downgrade.

So if you are into action movies where you don't need to 'listen' then be warned.

However, if you have trouble watching drama genre where you wish you could latch on to the words being said easily and comfortably, if you want sound created by each and every movement on and off the screen to be heard yet it not override the vocals (quite paradoxical, no?), and if you want to lose your self in the scenes, even at low volumes, every now and then, if you want your hands to be fetching pop-corn and not your remote control to adjust the volume, then this is the system for you.

I understand that you can always go back to the original 5.1CH mode just by simple setting changes. Still, I thought I should clarify.

A good review of a product often creates GAS (Gadget Acquisition Syndrome) and I don't want that to let you make a hasty decision, especially since only two of you have actually heard it. I thought I should spell out the details again.

I hope that this helps all of you.
Do let me know if you have any further queries and I will do my best to clarify things.

Regards,

Ravindra.

You did not miss anything. You will need a relay that will connect stereo signal to one set of speakers and surround signal to another set. The relay is on my amplifier board.
For use with one's AVR, I will have to provide it on my DAP. Consider it done!

Regards,

Ravindra.

Ahhh thank you so much for clarifying. And the following post cleared it further. Could you PM me the Cost and other details of the product like what connectors I would need, amplifier, speakers, etc. I am planning to upgrade my TV Speaker setup. This is independent of my HT setup.

MaSh

Hello guys,

The review thread by @tuff took a new turn with so many of you wanting to try out my DSP and that is nice and encouraging for me. Thank you!!
Especially those who have already invested in AVRs and speaker systems and want to try out my DSP.
However, I would like you all to take a step back and read the following carefully till the end.

Those with an AVR and at least a 5.1CH system are used to listening to movies with panning effects. Front panning, back panning, diagonal panning and what not.

With my 2.1CH DSP, the panning will only be from front to back and back to front as there is no left or right speakers. Also, even though there are two surround speakers, they carry the same signal. The surround is more like a cloud that moves from front to back or vice versa and not like a point that can go all around you. So as far as panned effects are concerned, my 2.1CH system is a downgrade.

So if you are into action movies where you don't need to 'listen' then be warned.

However, if you have trouble watching drama genre where you wish you could latch on to the words being said easily and comfortably, if you want sound created by each and every movement on and off the screen to be heard yet it not override the vocals (quite paradoxical, no?), and if you want to lose your self in the scenes, even at low volumes, every now and then, if you want your hands to be fetching pop-corn and not your remote control to adjust the volume, then this is the system for you.

I understand that you can always go back to the original 5.1CH mode just by simple setting changes. Still, I thought I should clarify.

A good review of a product often creates GAS (Gadget Acquisition Syndrome) and I don't want that to let you make a hasty decision, especially since only two of you have actually heard it. I thought I should spell out the details again.

I hope that this helps all of you.
Do let me know if you have any further queries and I will do my best to clarify things.

Regards,

Ravindra.
One more paraphernalia for our tribe...
GAS - good one!

Thanks for clarifying, we were under the impression that its a cleverly designed 2.1 to replicate the effects of 5.1, but its a 2.1 from front and back sense, not right and left. Why can't we use another Center Channel at the back instead of 2 Surrounds when there's no Left To Right effects occurring ?
(Pardon me if I'm no where close to what you are referring to.)

I'm pretty interested in the concept, if you could pm me the details on pricing and connections etc it'd be great. I might consider this for my TV room

One more paraphernalia for our tribe...
GAS - good one!

Thanks for clarifying, we were under the impression that its a cleverly designed 2.1 to replicate the effects of 5.1, but its a 2.1 from front and back sense, not right and left. Why can't we use another Center Channel at the back instead of 2 Surrounds when there's no Left To Right effects occurring ?
(Pardon me if I'm no where close to what you are referring to.)

I'm pretty interested in the concept, if you could pm me the details on pricing and connections etc it'd be great. I might consider this for my TV room

In 5.1CH configuration,
L and R produce music
C produces vocals
LS and RS produce special effects
SW produces Bass and LE

In my 2.1CH Surround,
C produces vocals and most of the music
S produces special effects and some music
SW produces bass and LFE

For 2.1CH stereo and 2.0CH Stereo there is no difference in terminologies of my system and the conventional ones.

With any stereo, if correctly processed and installed, then from the 'sweet spot seat' only,
Lt produces L
Rt produces R
Phantom center produces vocals
Phantom surrounds produces special effects

Through out the discussion, the speakers have their usual places.

I hope this helps.

Do let me know if it doesn't.

Regards,

Ravindra.

Hi Ravindra
Greetings, and good going, as a fellow Diyer! I am interested and if Bangalore is also a possible location for audition, please add me to the list, I can arrange for 3 or more of us to do a single audition. Will be willing to cover costs associated etc..

George

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back