My DIY CMoy Headphone Amplifier

....and I am super-excited about it. :eek:hyeah:

I have successfully soldered couple of amps. Its easy to solder and remove SMD parts except ICs. Only problems arises when you sneeze in front of them before soldering. :D They just vanish from table.

yes ICs are tricky but fun ,i have done till 100Qfp packs.. just remember
do no mistake while soldering else u need a hot air gun . I even made a hot air gun to remove chips .

all will love
uCMOY-0.jpg
UCmoy too

I suggest grab the Hot audio DAC and dont go for Grub dac DIY if not needed .

I am also smd expert by hobby, fire questions

irons ? flux ? Magni ? tweezers.. solder or any other questions

Thanks Kaushik for your offer for help.

To start with I am thinking of upgrading my tool inventory.

The tools in my shopping list are:
1. Pair of needle point tweezers
2. Soldering wick
3. Soldering helping hand with a magnifier
4. Flux pen

I have done a bit of beautification of my headphone amp by putting it in an enclosure from Hammonds.

Below are some eye candies

Wowie, that looks very pretty.

I'm wondering how you managed to get the holes for output jacks in perfect alignment. It almost looks like it was custom moulded with those holes.

After the completion of my headphone amplifier, I am scouting for some good USB DAC kit which is simple to build and have some decent sound output (compared to the laptop's headphone out).

Just wondering if you had considered the Pear Audio / Buffallo DAC kit, based on the recent ESS DAC. The DAC has very good specs on paper. One drawback, if i remember correctly, was the default kit didn't support USB.

Last edited:
Wowie, that looks very pretty.

I'm wondering how you managed to get the holes for output jacks in perfect alignment. It almost looks like it was custom moulded with those holes.

Just wondering if you had considered the Pear Audio / Buffallo DAC kit, based on the recent ESS DAC. The DAC has very good specs on paper. One drawback, if i remember correctly, was the default kit didn't support USB.

Thanks for the complements ;)
The Hammond enclosure was a piece of cake to work with. The ABS plastic is pretty much soft and I easily made the holes using a craft knife.

Buffalo DAC looks complex for a newbie DIY'er like me but will put my hands on it sometime.

For the time being, I am happy with my iBasso D0 DAC. I am still using the CMoy amp fed through the line out of the iBasso DAC. Somehow I feel the CMoy is more "musical" than the built in amp of the iBasso.:licklips:

The ABS plastic is pretty much soft and I easily made the holes using a craft knife.
Well, you have been very skillful with the knife. Very clean. Like I said, it almost looks custom moulded.

Buffalo DAC looks complex for a newbie DIY'er like me but will put my hands on it sometime.
He he. I know that feeling. I've myself been thinking of doing the CMoy from a long time, but 2 things hold me back: (1). I haven't soldered anything since my college days, and (2). the difficulting in procuring components (Audio grade capacitors, etc) in India.

Most CMoys kits come with all components, but there's no fun in DIY if you can't interchange & try different components, and sourcing the components that aren't in the kit won't be easy.

He he. I know that feeling. I've myself been thinking of doing the CMoy from a long time, but 2 things hold me back: (1). I haven't soldered anything since my college days, and (2). the difficulting in procuring components (Audio grade capacitors, etc) in India.

Most CMoys kits come with all components, but there's no fun in DIY if you can't interchange & try different components, and sourcing the components that aren't in the kit won't be easy.

You can start with the kit and continue improving it incrementally by upgrading the components one by one. You will enjoy the journey :)

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back