My entry to the hi-fi world!

So, ideally there should not be anything between speakers and you? That means I have to remove that glass-front cabinet with some smaller table to put the amp on? Bed I can't remove because of obvious reasons. :)

By the way I did some R&D on placement past night. I figured out that the boomy bass is coming majorly from left speaker (the one that has a wall in the back and side). I tried pulling the speaker away from both the walls and there was some relief. I wish I had more space in the room!

Also my speakers are mounted on those needle-like sharp stands placed in metal base (pic below). Somebody told me that metal touching floor may create resonance nad suggested that I put some thick carpet below the speakers. Does it make sense?

My room
The following is Side 1, where system is placed. You can see an almirah in the left. There is a photoframe (1'x1.5') hanging just above the amp but I've removed that from photo.

The sidewall towards the left speaker. It has a 5'x5' glass window (hidden behind the curtain) and a 1.5 Window AC in it. The glass window is pretty filmsy and vibrates when AC is on.

The wall facing the music system. Nothing except bed and door.

The side wall towards the right speaker. A small cabinet, mirror and an almirah.

The Alternative
Alternate place for keeping the system could be this open area outside my room. Must be 13'x10'. It's partially open on right side (pics attached below).

Appreciate the help.

After going through the pics...... conclusion ...... absolute overkill, man.

Even wall mounted decent satellites would have been on the higher side at peak volumes. You see, there is virtually no way out for the sound waves that are generated on high notes. No wonder this issue.

Yes, quite a bit would be resolved by the expert guidances, but total termination would be difficult. Get a feeling that in case you keep your door open while playing your system, the situation should be near 'ok'. Did you try that out, by any chance?

Another option is change your Bed position & keep it where your system is.You have to turn it @ 90 degree.(direction changed0
Move system to opposite wall where your bed is now.
You will get more room & can keep spk at 2 corners to get good separation & openness.

What are last pictures?

@Avidyarthy,

I normally keep my door open but close it if I feel like listening a little loud. Will try to notice the difference.

@Spiro,

Will try changing the position and let you guys know. That bed is damn heavy! Sigh!

The last pictures are of the sort-of-room I've outside my bedroom. I can use it for keeping the system if you guys think it will do justice to the system.

Shaizada,

There is no chance I can even think of changing speakers at this point of time. I understand it's not sounding perfect in my room but it's not sounding bad either. Will think when I really start understanding the music. :)

I feel for you dude, I was in similar situation but fear not!

I carefully had a look at the pics you took and here's what I made out

2qutb3d.jpg

The room is not 12x12, it is 10x10.
I took ref size of your bed as 6ft from matress.

be81eq.jpg

The outside room is much bigger and definitely better for sound.
Took bed of 7ft as ref.
However I wondered why you didnt put it out here in the 1st place then realized you have ac in bedroom and comfortable bed. So moving it out into corridor is out of the question since you bought the speakers to enjoy relax- admire etc.

So I thought about it, and this is what will solve your issue.
bvqfd.jpg

I'm sure the diagram is self explanatory.

-please get a nice lamp to compliment your room, pref yellowish shade, 11w white pl lamp

-Hang a thick carpet like furry material behind your door to absorb redundant corner vibration.

- try to give atleast 10 inches gap for speakers from all sides.
You ll be asthetically and acoustically pleased more with this setup than present.

Also by get rid I dont mean throw it out:p you have room out in the hall so put them there =)

Last edited:
Rahul,

I can't thank you enough. It's not important how big or small the help is. The intent is important.

Hats off to you on figuring out my room size so correctly (it's 10'x11.5'). I am living in that room for more than an year and could never figure it out.

Your suggestion is apt, only issue I see is my listening position. If I put the bed exactly in middle, I don't have enough space to open the door (it opens inside). :(

But thanks anyways, it has given me quite an information. Let me try some other options.

Rahul,

I can't thank you enough. It's not important how big or small the help is. The intent is important.

Hats off to you on figuring out my room size so correctly (it's 10'x11.5'). I am living in that room for more than an year and could never figure it out.

Your suggestion is apt, only issue I see is my listening position. If I put the bed exactly in middle, I don't have enough space to open the door (it opens inside). :(

But thanks anyways, it has given me quite an information. Let me try some other options.

You dont have to put it exactly in the middle though, even if it offset a little towards the left you can still sit in the correct position since it's a double bed.
Infact you can actually push it entirely to the left wall in that diagaram and you can sit on the right hand side to get the correct directional sound.

It's a simplex fix for a simple problem, since you have the additional 1.5 feet that's even better.

Bizzare,
The placement for these speakers warrants a bit more of space from the wall, since they are rear ported. Placing away from the wall shall 'certainly' reduce the boomy feel you got. I face the same issue with my Quad Bookshelf speakers, they also are rear ported (The Air passage vent is behind the speaker).

Also you certainly need to play with the bass level if its provided, it will help getting the quality bass depending the situation of your room and since you cant move the speakers away from wall.

wishes

Couple things to note here.

From the sitting position the speakers appear low, so you wont get the proper effect during listening. THe speakers need to be raised.

to tame the boominess a bit, it would be worth a try to use some port plugs - thick sponge or pairs of socks rolled tight to plug the vents on the backs of the speakers. This also has the effect of quickly rolling off the bass tones to make music a bit more enjoyable.

Finally, use some dampers along the opposite edges of the walls as there is lots of reflection from the cement walls. I think you should look into room treatments a bit more.

All this unfortunately are band aid solutions to the problem. The big issue is that the speakers are the wrong choice for the room and setup. Sorry to be a downer but its a fact you have to keep in consideration re: what to expect out of your setup even if you change the positioning.

A good pair of bookshelves or wall mounts would have been a better choice.

Facts are facts and best to remain in agreement with them. You are spot on with the facts brother.

Than stuffing socks in the ports i plan to stuff socks in my pocket !! ..i have been looking at new pair of bookshelves and then the 'Anutone' next month.

Couple things to note here.

From the sitting position the speakers appear low, so you wont get the proper effect during listening. THe speakers need to be raised.

to tame the boominess a bit, it would be worth a try to use some port plugs - thick sponge or pairs of socks rolled tight to plug the vents on the backs of the speakers. This also has the effect of quickly rolling off the bass tones to make music a bit more enjoyable.

Finally, use some dampers along the opposite edges of the walls as there is lots of reflection from the cement walls. I think you should look into room treatments a bit more.

All this unfortunately are band aid solutions to the problem. The big issue is that the speakers are the wrong choice for the room and setup. Sorry to be a downer but its a fact you have to keep in consideration re: what to expect out of your setup even if you change the positioning.

A good pair of bookshelves or wall mounts would have been a better choice.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back