My experience with logitech Z-5500

msarawanan

Hi all Hifissss,

After spending a year time on exploring things abt HT at last looking at the price variations that too during this recession time, I finalized on Logitech Z-5500 which I would say really rockks!..:yahoo: I know for sure this will not fall under HT category. But this is what my setup is:

Samsung bordauex LA3281 - LCD 32
Samsung DVD player HD-870 (with HDMI, optical and coax digi out)
Z-5500 - 5.1 surround.

Anyway the maximum video output of my LCD is 1080i and my HD-870 outputs exactly the same. Even if other AVR like Denon is upscaling video to 1080p what is the exact use if your TV has the restrictions. Some forums says that upscaling is not that effective in these AVR's. I have connected DVD with TV using HDMI for video and taken toslink connection out from DVD to Z-5500.

I love the Z's with its 505 Watts RMS with rockking DTS, DD, DD PLII and enhanced DTS 94/24:yahoo:.

FYI I not running this with my laptop/desktop. I'm using it with direct DVD player.;)

If you are really convinced go for this. I got it from richee st for 18000/- last week;).

Hi msarawanan

Congrats on your recent purchase. I wanted to know two things:

1)What is the size of your room where the whole setup is placed and does the speakers cover the whole room soundwise?

2)How does the speakers sound when playing Mp3 songs.Is it true that this system has only base and no clarity?

Hi guys,

I am an happy wner of Logitech 5500D frm 2006. Rocked it, popped it,jazzed it etc, what say you, its a sensible deal for people who have low budget, ready to compromise on satellites and simply long for more movies and especially PC/Console games.

I listen to 'flac' from my yamaha RX 663 to tannoy mx 1m's speakers (2.0) and they are a totally diffent sound - real sweet and pleasing to listen.

When I switch to the same to logitech, its good maan, good for everythng indeed BUT when u listen to a separate setup and invove in the different sound you hear, you then decide.

Then again, LOGITECH Z 5500D is one of the best and cheap solution for superb allround entertainment(Maninly movies, games) and is highly dependant on Subwoofer placement, wheree issues crop up.

i have it in my 240sqft bedroom and you should listen....WOW.

Hope this helps.

Hi Bobby,

My living room is 380 sq.ft. where I've placed the whole setup And these speakers really cover the entire space :yahoo: and yes it sounds better with MP3's:cool:.

Again it all depends on the size of MP3 files, the larger the size the clarity would be nice. Pls note that we need to set the digital out option in DVD as bitstream rather than PCM.

And as anoop said, it's really worth for the money you have put in buddy.

I do agree the clarity would be more if you go for some tower speakers like polk, KEF, etc. But again the budget would be uncomparable with the Z's.

FYI - Pls look at the tech spec below. These speakers are THX certified and their frequency cover is really good far better than high end speakers like polk I would say.

Technical Specifications
  • Total FTC power: 505 watts RMS
  • Sub-woofer: 188 watts RMS (into 8 ohms, @ 100Hz, @ 10% THD)
  • Satellites: Left/Right: 62 watts RMS x 2 (into 8 ohms, @ 1khz, @ 10% THD)
  • Center: 69 watts RMS (into 8 ohms, @ 1kHz, @ 10% THD)
  • Rear Left & Right: 62 watts RMS x 2 (into 8 ohms, @ 1kHz, @ 10% THD)
  • Total Peak power: 1010 watts
  • Maximum SPL: >115 dB
  • Frequency response: 33 Hz 20 kHz
  • Amplifier: Ultra-linear, high-capacity analog
  • Signal to noise ratio: >93.5 dB, typical 100
  • Input impedance: 8,000 ohms

Bass will be really good when you fine tune the setting of sub. Change the setting to skin 2 to have more clarity.

Cheers

Hi sarawanan,

Thanks for putting up your views on z5500.

I have been on the look out to replace my existing modest Creative Inspire 4.1 setup mostly used for MP3s and movies through my PC.

z5500 has always been on the top of my list. My budget is 25K and z5500 falls well with in my reach. But I started having second thoughts that if I spend few more bucks for 30K around I can get an Onkyo HTS5105. I went to the Onkyo showroom and listened to the HTS5105. I would say I was definitely not blown away by it. The bass is not deep and even the satellites were not that great.

I guess you might have checked out these packages as well before rounding up on z5500. As I do not have access to a z5500 to listen to it, can you please let me know your views on this comparission.

I agree that both the systems are quite different, but the idea is for my future LCD+HT setup I will definitely go for a real good (polk, ELAC, etc..) speakers. So this is a stop gap arrangement to add some spice. But again I do not want to sound foolish for having bought computer speakers for almost the price of a better sounding Onkyo setup.

Also my room is 120sqft area wise and will the z5500 sound too boomy given that it has a notorious subwoofer?

Any information would be of great help.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

@rajen83 - If you want clarity then forget the Logitech Z5500. Just lots of loud noise and tons of bass. An Audioengine A5 will simply blow it away at 20K.

@rajen83 - If you want clarity then forget the Logitech Z5500. Just lots of loud noise and tons of bass. An Audioengine A5 will simply blow it away at 20K.

+1 here.

The pc speaker packages are usually bass and treble heavy - which somehow appeals to a lot of people - i myself had a creative 5300 coupled with soundblaster live 5.1 and was very happy with it. (remember there are more people using pcs than ones with real good stereo/av component systems back home). Added to it studies have proved with time we lose our ability to perceive/hear sounds from the two ends of the spectrum i.e. the highs and the lows -so maybe why computer speakers cater to more people.

Ask anyone - most people with old decks used to put their system equalizer on rock/jazz that increases the levels of bass n treble.

Anyway if someone likes something go for it - just a word of caution "audition before buy"

@ moserw, suprateep

Thanks folks for your response. As you might have observed that was my first post.

Spent sometime in this forum since then and I am now more educated on the options available. Definitely I am not looking for computer speakers but something to base up on going forward to build a full blown hi-fi system. As you are, I also happy with my creative inspire 4.1 setup but I am willing to spend some money to get some real quality music.

I am planning for a 75%music & 25%movies setup which might involve a decent amp and quality bookshelfs/floor standers for now. Will add more components when the LCD comes :) I will start a separate thread when I am ready with some data and requirements.

I will definitely audition all the options and if I realize that I am no purist then I will go for something that gives VFM.

I remember once when I went to a newly opened bakery, he was playing Wamdue Project 'King of My Castle' on some Bose speaker set and I could feel(not hear) the thumps in my heart. That was when I wished some day I will buy something like these. That was 7 years ago and I think the time has come now :)

Any suggestions are welcome as a headsup for my "hunt".

I remember once when I went to a newly opened bakery, he was playing Wamdue Project 'King of My Castle' on some Bose speaker set and I could feel(not hear) the thumps in my heart.

Great song. Set the discos on fire for a long time when it came out...

@ moserw, suprateep

Thanks folks for your response. As you might have observed that was my first post.

Spent sometime in this forum since then and I am now more educated on the options available. Definitely I am not looking for computer speakers but something to base up on going forward to build a full blown hi-fi system. As you are, I also happy with my creative inspire 4.1 setup but I am willing to spend some money to get some real quality music.

I am planning for a 75%music & 25%movies setup which might involve a decent amp and quality bookshelfs/floor standers for now. Will add more components when the LCD comes :) I will start a separate thread when I am ready with some data and requirements.

I will definitely audition all the options and if I realize that I am no purist then I will go for something that gives VFM.

I remember once when I went to a newly opened bakery, he was playing Wamdue Project 'King of My Castle' on some Bose speaker set and I could feel(not hear) the thumps in my heart. That was when I wished some day I will buy something like these. That was 7 years ago and I think the time has come now :)

For the PC and for music powered speakers like the Audioengine A5 are the best. For a full blown HT then you would be better off with Wharfedales or something similar depending on your budget. But such speakers would need an amplifier even if you plan to connect them to the PC or play them via a CDP. Let us know your budget and available/planned sources and suggestions in line with them can be made.

@ moserw, suprateep

rajen before you dwelve into the world of hifi and spend your hard earned money draw a budget, you requirements and then write a post. If possible get in touch with gurus/knowledgeable people in the forum. Get the minutest details right.

or else like many you might end up with a system that is great on paper /performance but still some thing lagging in it.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back