My experience with WD MyCloud 6TB NAS

@sam9s: I finally bought Synology DS216j from Amazon.com. After adding duty and shipping it costed me 15k. Not a bad deal.... :)

BTW ftp copied to SDCard. Then I tried to copy the folder to Hard Disk using ES File Explorer but the HDD got ejected during the process. I gave up...:annoyed:

:signthankspin: sam9s...., Sorry parambir for hijacking your thread.. but you guys really helped... :thumbsup:

BTW ftp copied to SDCard. Then I tried to copy the folder to Hard Disk using ES File Explorer but the HDD got ejected during the process. I gave up...:annoyed:

ES file explorer would not work, the only way to copy files to and fro from PC to shield and vice versa is via FTP server only. You can internally move files on Shield via ES file explorer without any issue ...

@dolfin

I use FileZilla mainly for web hosting and in that regard it is the best.

However, for a local file transfers I use WinSCP and the SFTP protocol. Give it a try, might work for you. I have mapped everything from my Synology shares to Raspberry Pi shares as well as OMV shares as network drives that are accessible from any device on my local LAN as well as via WinSCP for file transfers. Works great, never had issues.

And welcome to the Synology club, its the best there is. Once you start using DSM for media sharing, personal cloud, networking, Docker, and streaming music (tons of free radio you can add though I find CCA to be easier) and streaming movies... there is no going back.

ES file explorer would not work, the only way to copy files to and fro from PC to shield and vice versa is via FTP server only. You can internally move files on Shield via ES file explorer without any issue ...

@sam9s: My Shield has both a SD Card as well as USB HDD. For some strange reasons FTP method copied files onto SD Card but refused to copy on HDD. Therefore I tried to copy first on SD Card then move them to HDD via ES File Explorere. It started copying files but in between HDD got ejected (this is an old issue with my Shield). Then I attached it to PC to do it in old way. Windows reported error on drive. I ran Chkdsk and recovered lost links. Too much efforts to copy files :sad:

Hopefully new NAS should resolve all these issues and also keep the disk safe.

@sam9s: My Shield has both a SD Card as well as USB HDD. For some strange reasons FTP method copied files onto SD Card but refused to copy on HDD. Therefore I tried to copy first on SD Card then move them to HDD via ES File Explorere. It started copying files but in between HDD got ejected (this is an old issue with my Shield). Then I attached it to PC to do it in old way. Windows reported error on drive. I ran Chkdsk and recovered lost links. Too much efforts to copy files :sad:

Hopefully new NAS should resolve all these issues and also keep the disk safe.

mm looks like an issue with the drive itself, if you have any other external HDD try with that, I dont think there is any issue with shield ...

@dolfin

I use FileZilla mainly for web hosting and in that regard it is the best.

However, for a local file transfers I use WinSCP and the SFTP protocol. Give it a try, might work for you. I have mapped everything from my Synology shares to Raspberry Pi shares as well as OMV shares as network drives that are accessible from any device on my local LAN as well as via WinSCP for file transfers. Works great, never had issues..

You can use any ftp client, fliezilla, WinSCP, cuteFTP all would work the same way. I use filezilla, so recommended it ...:)

I have the 8 TB WD Raid HD. Not really sure if I should call it a NAS server. I just use it as a data backup and its connected to my desktop - so I use it for Kodi as well.

Having paid 470 dollars am sure i can do plenty more..but am technically handicapped.

I just hope and pray when there is a hard drive issue on my desktop hardrive - this serves its purpose and acts a good backup.

below is what i have

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I2P56FE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back