My first 5.2.2 HT system - up gradable to 7.2.2

Vj_Dj

Hi Friends,

This is Vijay. I am a music and sound lover. Since till date I was changing rented house, despite of big desire could not invest on music system to experience high class HT system. Now i am going to move to my own house, have already started planning and assembling accessories for the same.

My current possessions -

1. 55 inch 4K TV with HDR
2. SAMSUNG HW-K551 4.1 ch Soundbar
3. Bose Companion (my first speaker)
4. Bang & Olufsen - Beolit 17 bluetooth speaker
5. Sony PS4 pro - i would use as DVD and Blueray player
6. Android TV box (Xiaomi) & Amazon Fire TV

Now I want to create a 5.2.2 HT system, which can later be upgraded to 7.2.2.

1. I have already decided that AVR will be from Yamaha. Either RX-A1070 or RX-V683. The decision will depend on what speaker i choose and how much they are going to cost me. MusicCast of yamaha is a big motivation so that i can use my other existing speakers for multi room functionality.
2. My budget is roughly 2 Lacs (for AVR, Speaker and Subs) - I don't mind to extend it by another 25k if it worth.
3. My room measures roughly 18 x 20 feet.

My requirement is very simple. I need a HT system which gives me high quality music listening experience and Movie viewing experience. My usage will be 70% music and 30% movie. I like music from different genre ..ranging from indian classic to film music, western pop, rock & country.

Please suggest me suitable speakers looking at my requirement, AVR and budget. Also if you can suggest place in Delhi to experience same and get.

https://in.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx-a1070/index.html

Visit ProFX...they sell Yamaha AVRs and matching speakers either would be the Polks RTiA series or the S series...you can also audition the T series...

Would suggest you audition the same content using these various speakers and decide....don't rush.....take your time

Other speakers could possibly be Taga, Wharfedale, Jamo. Boston Acoustics etc.

ProFx does offer discount...never reveal your real budget...push for that 10% or even more...all depends on how well you can negotiate

Hi Friends,

This is Vijay. I am a music and sound lover. Since till date I was changing rented house, despite of big desire could not invest on music system to experience high class HT system. Now i am going to move to my own house, have already started planning and assembling accessories for the same.

1. I have already decided that AVR will be from Yamaha. Either RX-A1070 or RX-V683. The decision will depend on what speaker i choose and how much they are going to cost me. MusicCast of yamaha is a big motivation so that i can use my other existing speakers for multi room functionality.
2. My budget is roughly 2 Lacs (for AVR, Speaker and Subs) - I don't mind to extend it by another 25k if it worth.

Both these receivers are 7.2 and not upgradeable to 7.2.2 or 5.4.2. For that you need RX-A 2070 or Marantz SR 6012, either one will disrupt your budgeting. So better to stick to 7.2 for now. V683 should be enough for now. Do visit profx and bass n treble in delhi.

Visit ProFX...they sell Yamaha AVRs and matching speakers either would be the Polks RTiA series or the S series...you can also audition the T series...

Would suggest you audition the same content using these various speakers and decide....don't rush.....take your time

Other speakers could possibly be Taga, Wharfedale, Jamo. Boston Acoustics etc.

ProFx does offer discount...never reveal your real budget...push for that 10% or even more...all depends on how well you can negotiate

Thanks a lot. yes I am not going to hurry with such investment.

Last edited:
Both these receivers are 7.2 and not upgradeable to 7.2.2 or 5.4.2. For that you need RX-A 2070 or Marantz SR 6012, either one will disrupt your budgeting. So better to stick to 7.2 for now. V683 should be enough for now. Do visit profx and bass n treble in delhi.

Thanks. I missed that and I think as you suggest 7.2 should be okay for some time. I am planning to visit Bass N Treble and ProFX quite soon.

There are related threads of such nature under What Should I buy which can help, please go through those. Also would recommend you start visiting HT dealers and see what are the available systems and make a list of the ones that interests you

In India, Yamaha Aventage are not feature packed and VFM.. As said by FM @dr_rocket , RXA 1070 supports only 5.2.2 capability..

IMO, better to look for Denon x 4300 / Marantz SR6012 which are capable 5.2.4 capable out-of the box (or) 7.2.4 capable using external power amplifier..

3. My room measures roughly 18 x 20 feet

With your extended budget, you should be able to easily complete AVR + 7.2.4 layout if you look at Taga offerings..

Hi Friends. I am back with lot of listening trials. Since my usage is expected more to be music, i was suggested to look for a high end 2.1 music set up. The suggested set up is

1. Bluesound Powernod 2 (with built in DAC and amp)
2. Pair of high end floor standing speaker
3. Compatible active sub

I have two questions -

1. What is your opinion on above mentioned set up.
2. During trial I listened Piega speaker (sounded great to me) . how do you rate them with competition such as Klipsch, Dali Zensar, Polk Audio and others.

Please help me out.

Hi Friends. I am back with lot of listening trials. Since my usage is expected more to be music, i was suggested to look for a high end 2.1 music set up. The suggested set up is

1. Bluesound Powernod 2 (with built in DAC and amp)
3. Compatible active sub

I have two questions -

2. During trial I listened Piega speaker (sounded great to me) . how do you rate them with competition such as Klipsch, Dali Zensar, Polk Audio and others.

Please help me out.
What kind of music do you generally listen to? If you can also provide some room dimensions it would be helpful for others to chime in. 2 lakh rupees is a good budget to get a really good amp/speaker setup. What source do you intend to use? CD Player, or PC streaming setup. The more info you provide, the better suggestions you will get.

What kind of music do you generally listen to? If you can also provide some room dimensions it would be helpful for others to chime in. 2 lakh rupees is a good budget to get a really good amp/speaker setup. What source do you intend to use? CD Player, or PC streaming setup. The more info you provide, the better suggestions you will get.

Thanks for response.

In music I have varied choice starting from Indian film music to indian classical, ghazals, western music mostly rock and country. I not a great fan of metal.

My room measures roughly 18 x 20 feet

Primarily I will be using streaming services such as apple music, amazon music. I have my NAS box for storing high res audio. have collection of CDs as well but I would prefer them to store first in NAS box then play. For Movies i would use my PS4, Android TV box and just received Roku Ultra.

Last edited:
2.25 lakhs is very healthy budget for HT setup. But if you don't want to compromise on sound quality then slow and steady route is very beneficial for you. Initially invest in very good quality and future pack AVR and very good quality floor standing speakers. Later on add remaining components as budget permit. Look for Marantz SR6012, Denon AVR x4400h or Pioneer LX701. These are nine channel( 5.2.4/7.2.2) AVR can be converted in to 11 channel (7.2.4) with additional integrated amplifier. For floor standing speakers Paradigm Monitor 9, Monitor Audio Bronze 6, KEF 900 etc . I have auditioned Marantz SR6011 with KEF 900 and certainly combo works as one of the best stereo setup. Also auditioned Anthem MRX520 with Paradigm Monitor 9 and equally capable set up in stereo mode but MRX520 in only 5 channel AVR without latest overhead decoding formats. Within few years you will have an excellent stereo and exceptional HT setup which you can be enjoy for years.

The OP has mentioned he is looking for a stereo setup not surround. So let us not confuse him further.

The OP has mentioned he is looking for a stereo setup not surround. So let us not confuse him further.

Actually My first intent was to get a good quality HT Setup (see first post). But during various trial one of shop owner suggested stereo setup looking at my 70% usage as music. So I floated the idea for suggestion in this forum. Shop owner also indicated that in case of music a dedicated stereo setup would fetch much better sound quality in comparison to Sound coming out of HT even in 5.2.2 or 7.2.2. Is it so?

Music is encoded 2 channel, movies are 5.1+. Stereo amplifier for music, multi channel avr, for movie's. No hard and fast rule though.;)

Certainly a 2 lakh stereo set up will always sound better than 2 lakh HT set up. But above mentioned stereo components are equally comparable to standalone stereo set up components and you get the flexibility of upgradation to excellent HT set up and your total HT set up cast will be near about 4 lakh once it is completed. So you will not need two independent set up for different needs. High quality AVR have sound quality comparable or better than to mid priced integrated amplifier. But again it can't match the sound quality of 1.25 Lakh stereo amplifier.

Since my usage is expected more to be music, i was suggested to look for a high end 2.1 music set up.

Make it 2.2 (dual subwoofers), which should have more flexibilty in placing in your 18 x 20 feet room..

3. Compatible active sub

If you are taking 2.2 route, a BS / satellite should be enough to reproduce rest of the frequency..

Primarily I will be using streaming services such as apple music, amazon music. I have my NAS box for storing high res audio. have collection of CDs as well but I would prefer them to store first in NAS box then play. For Movies i would use my PS4, Android TV box and just received Roku Ultra.

You seem to have more devices with HDMI, (No experience with NAS).. An AVR would be a better (bass management with subwoofers, also networking capability), & also double up for both movie/music than stereo (2.0).. You also get the benefit of Audyssey XT32 (digital room calibration & correction) in Denon / Marantz AVR, which can be very handy to your needs..

It could be misleading (without data) to say one is better than the other.. If you are convinced of Piega speaker, then you should get them if it is in your budget..

IMO, an AVR with 2.2 set-up, can give you more flexibility for music/movies..

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back