My first audition experience: Tannoy Revolution DC6 and PSB Image B6 bookshelf

shanmune

Being a member of hifivision.com for almost 10 months, I have gained a lot on Audio-Video gears. I thought this is the time for me to do a small contribution back to this forum.

As part of my initial step towards creating a decent HT, I did an audition of Tannoy DC6 and PSB Image B6 bookshelves at Music Ranch, Bangalore. Before I went for audition, I looked for some suggestions from our most friendly member prosenjit. So first I need to say thanks to him for his suggestions. :clapping:

Before I can share my experience with the audition I did, I just like to pass on a small observation which I personally experienced for the first time. Most of you would have already witnessed it, but still I would like to register my observation here. The demo room had one Yamaha receiver (I think it was RX-V571), Marantz SR6006 , NAD 356BEE integrated amp and the CD player was NAD C515 BEE. Of course I carried my own music CD which I always listen it daily. To start with, I asked the showroom guy to use Marantz SR6006 along with PSB Image B6 and played 3 different song tracks from my music CD. I felt very happy for the quality of SR6006 and the vocal was good. Then, I asked the showroom guy to connect NAD 356BEE integrated amp to the same speakers and re-played the same tracks. I heard some instrument sounds which I didn't hear with SR6006. Then the bass was too good with the integrated amp. At that time, I realized why people talk great about integarted amps.
At the same time, I must also say that SR6006 wasn't bad either. I would say SR6006 was very good and 356 BEE was very very ...very good.

Now, coming back to the main subject. First, I must confess that I am not a stereophile and so my ears are not so great to pick up finer details like others can do. I don't have the skill to differentiate sound as warm or bright or anything else. So whatever I state here is just what I personally felt and nothing more than that.

First, I listened to the songs on PSB Image B6. I could feel the singer's voice as very natural and true. I could even sense or feel the airflow/breathing of the singer and the way his vocal cord moved. To be more precise, this can expose any shortcomings of a singer. Such was the clarity. The bass was punchy and I didn't expect that a bookshelf speaker could throw such a thing. Impressive to say the least. The sound of the saxophone was very soothing and it was deep as well. Of course I couldn't pick any negatives as I am still a novice.

Then we moved over to Tannoy Revolution DC6. If I could say any one thing about this speaker in comparison with Image B6, the vocal was much more clearer and had some more weight behind it. The bass was good, but less punchy compared to PSB Image B6. The strings were detailed and better with Tannoy, but the wind instruments were better on PSB Image B6.

Now, which one is better ? Frankly speaking I have no idea. To me, both are equally good. Probably a stereophile can be the best judge to award the points. For a novice like me, I am impressed equally with both. I wanted to try with other speakers, but there was no other demo units except for Image B6 and DC6. Then I inclined towards PSB Image B6 for a couple of reasons :
1. PSB Image B6 quoted around 34k and Tannoy Revolution DC6 around 36k.
2. Popular opinion is that NAD and PSB have better synergy (as I am planning to get NAD receiver).

The above reasons may or may not sound logical for experts, but for me they are obvious.
The unfortunate part was the demo units weren't available for either NAD T757 or NAD T748. Now, why am I going for NAD receiver ?. The thing is I like to hear music a lot. At least 2 hours in the evening would be my time for listening to music. Then the next question - why not go for an integrated amp ? The problem is I have become a movie buff as well of late. Hope I am not sounding too greedy ;) . The culprit is my newly purchased plasma TV which pulls me to watch movies. Of course I have some control over it by the way of watching movies only during weekends and holidays. It is for this reason that I wanted a receiver, but still I wanted it to sound more musical. You all know the obvious choice would be from NAD/Anthem/Arcam/Rotel (hope I am not offending owners of other brands and forgive me if I have missed any other brand).

Based on popular opinion and on a given budget, I am inclined towards NAD (either T748 or T757). Also I have interacted with few guys who have either owned a NAD receiver or auditioned it have given very positive feedback about NAD receivers.

If anything needs to be rectified with my opinion/thoughts/assumptions in this thread, please feel free to correct me.

Nice and clean review there.

From the review I understand the audition was done with Integrated amp of NAD, however you are planning to buy NAD receiver. Do take an audition with NAD receiver.

Also from your post I understand you are planning to build HT. If the preferene is more about movies do take audition of video with 5.1 HT speakers.

But on the whole enjoy the journey of setting up the HT.

From the review I understand the audition was done with Integrated amp of NAD, however you are planning to buy NAD receiver. Do take an audition with NAD receiver.

Also from your post I understand you are planning to build HT. If the preferene is more about movies do take audition of video with 5.1 HT speakers.

Thanks ukjeyraj,

The problem is that there are no any demo units for NAD receivers. In fact when I asked the dealer for the reason on not having any demo unit, he said that NAD isn't generous enough to offer receiver demo units to the dealers except for integrated amps and CD players. May be the dealer has to spend his/her own money to get a NAD receiver as a demo unit. Even I called the NAD distributor (Lakozy - Mumbai) if he can arrange any demo in Bangalore, but he rather suggested me to visit their showroom at Mumbai for a demo :sad: Already my family members are staring at me for spending money on HT and I will be termed as a mad man if I go to Mumbai just for a demo :eek: :p :lol:.

So I decided to go as per the popular opinion that NAD receivers are comparatively better for music and also for movies. Ideally I want to go for a 5.1 setup, but to start with, I want to go Front and center first. I am not even buying a subwoofer right now. I am yet to demo the centre channel speakers and I will be doing it this week. If you have any suggestions for center channel, please let me know. Some time down the year, I will go for surrounds and subwoofer.

@shanmune - What is the cost of NAD receiver that you are planning to buy ?

It is NAD T757. The original quote is around 1.14L, but the offer price is at 1.06L. I am planning to get it this week after auditioning the centre channel speaker.

It is NAD T757. The original quote is around 1.14L, but the offer price is at 1.06L. I am planning to get it this week after auditioning the centre channel speaker.

Ok.. I believe you are leaning (Or) fixed towards NAD since it is musical....

For that price, have you considered receivers from Onkyo (Onkyo TX NR 818 & upwards model) & Yamaha Aventage models (1020 & 2020)....

NAD T757 has only 4 HDMI inputs...Whereas the bigger brands have 8 HDMI inuputs.. I know these are not the deciding factors...

But a video processor can make a very good difference....NAD doesn't have that....

I have owned Marantz receiver (which is very good for music) in the past for abt 2 years... but the Onkyo TX NR 818 (which i own now) surpasses it easily... Again am no expert, but get the feel.

Other than that servicing for Onkyo & Yamaha would be easy than NAD...

Juz my suggestion....

If you are already fixed on NAD T757.. then disregard my suggestion... ( i haven't auditioned a NAD receiver so far)

Already my family members are staring at me for spending money on HT and I will be termed as a mad man if I go to Mumbai just for a demo :eek: :p :lol:.

Ha Ha, as per your definition, I am a mad man. Went not less than 4 times from Delhi to Bangalore just for demo of my speakers, amps, phonostage etc.
No no. just joking. You can try to get invitation from any forum member at Bangalore who own NAD receiver.

Ok.. I believe you are leaning (Or) fixed towards NAD since it is musical....

For that price, have you considered receivers from Onkyo (Onkyo TX NR 818 & upwards model) & Yamaha Aventage models (1020 & 2020)....

NAD T757 has only 4 HDMI inputs...Whereas the bigger brands have 8 HDMI inuputs.. I know these are not the deciding factors...

But a video processor can make a very good difference....NAD doesn't have that....

I have owned Marantz receiver (which is very good for music) in the past for abt 2 years... but the Onkyo TX NR 818 (which i own now) surpasses it easily... Again am no expert, but get the feel.

Other than that servicing for Onkyo & Yamaha would be easy than NAD...

Juz my suggestion....

If you are already fixed on NAD T757.. then disregard my suggestion... ( i haven't auditioned a NAD receiver so far)

Thanks for your suggestions and that can only help a new buyer like me to get more ideas.

Yes, I have seen your post on Onkyo TX NR 818 capability for video upscaling. I even read good reviews about it's upscaling. In my case, I am using my Plasma TV only for watching movies these days. In fact I had Tata sky connection and disconnected it for the last 4 months. Since I don't watch SD channels, video upscaling is not in my priority.

I have listened to one of the Onkyo receivers (a mid-range receiver - I forget the series) in my friend's place and it was too good for watching actions films. The movie played was "Tansporter" and I was thrilled about it's performance. I compared it with Yamaha RX-V671 receiver (of course with different speakers - owned by my brother). It may not be the right comparison, but still I found the mid-range (for music) of RX-V671 to be more pleasant. Not sure if speakers had a huge role in that. Anyway, I was very impressed with Marantz SR6006 as well during the demo. Though it slightly lacked the lower mid-range (and the bass) when compared to 356BEE while playing music, still the vocals were equally good.

hi shanmune,

your choice and selection is very good.

however i suggest you audition KEF Q300 speakers with a good Denon reciever like 2313 or 3313 before making final decision.

i further suggest you audition the NAD AVR and then decide, you might not get the same sound quality of Nad amplifier in a NAD reciever.

Regards, Amit

hi shanmune,

You may drop in to listen to my set-up, which will enable you to take a final call.

pl. check your pm and revert if you would like to drop in.

cheers,

Ah the sweet revolutions! Thanks for the review mate, made for a very good read. I've heard the revolution paired with an Anthem and boy that was some match made in heaven. Not withstanding the fact that the anthem was almost thrice as expensive as the DC6. They are fairly easy to drive so a receiver should not really be an issue. The NAD units are built like tanks, and have some of the best stereo stages I've heard. However the top end denons and Onkyos aren't anything to ignore either.

So if you've liked the speaker, get them and try pairing them with various receivers, never know when you strike gold.

I so wish I was as patient as you while buying stuff.

Thanks for your suggestions and that can only help a new buyer like me to get more ideas.

Yes, I have seen your post on Onkyo TX NR 818 capability for video upscaling. I even read good reviews about it's upscaling. In my case, I am using my Plasma TV only for watching movies these days. In fact I had Tata sky connection and disconnected it for the last 4 months. Since I don't watch SD channels, video upscaling is not in my priority.

I have listened to one of the Onkyo receivers (a mid-range receiver - I forget the series) in my friend's place and it was too good for watching actions films. The movie played was "Tansporter" and I was thrilled about it's performance. I compared it with Yamaha RX-V671 receiver (of course with different speakers - owned by my brother). It may not be the right comparison, but still I found the mid-range (for music) of RX-V671 to be more pleasant. Not sure if speakers had a huge role in that. Anyway, I was very impressed with Marantz SR6006 as well during the demo. Though it slightly lacked the lower mid-range (and the bass) when compared to 356BEE while playing music, still the vocals were equally good.

Perfect... If you have considered all the options & narrowed/settled down on NAD...

Thanks !!!

CA 751R looks to have more features and I/O connections when compared to NAD and that too at a very good price. Let me audition that as well.

Here is a review to help out.

Cambridge Audio Azur 751R A/V Receiver | Home Theater

I have personally heard the Yamaha rx-a3020 and they are great sounding AVRs for their price. I am yet to hear the CA but I believe it will better than this yammy as far as SQ is concerned.

Here is a review to help out.

Cambridge Audio Azur 751R A/V Receiver | Home Theater

I have personally heard the Yamaha rx-a3020 and they are great sounding AVRs for their price. I am yet to hear the CA but I believe it will better than this yammy as far as SQ is concerned.

Hi rishiguru,
I have seen the other thread in which you listed and described monster AV receivers. After seeing all the low-end and mid-range receivers, I couldn't imagine how those bulky tanks will sound. More on a lighter note ... I definitely cannot tolerate seeing those gorgeous monsters once I get my own small AV receiver ;) Those photos you have put can make me feel embarrassed :p

Coming to a slightly different topic, few brands like NAD/Arcam/CA/Rotel claim/advertise themselves that they are different from others with their concept - "Focus on SQ, less on features". Do you believe these brands have cut the investment on features and diverted the money in getting better quality components for better SQ when compared to other brands ? For example, I would like to know if receivers like Arcam 360, T757, Anthem 500 have better quality components at the cost of having other features. The reason for me to ask this question to you is that you have done a great postmortem of DSP-Z9 and educated many of us on the quality of the components used in it. I can give one simple example of what I have seen. Marantz Sr6007 (rated at 110 wpc as per FTC rating) is lighter in weight (around 11 kgs) when compared to the similarly rated T757 (around 15 kgs). So does it indicate T757 using better components even though it had few HDMI/USB or any other i/o ports ?

Coming to a slightly different topic, few brands like NAD/Arcam/CA/Rotel claim/advertise themselves that they are different from others with their concept - "Focus on SQ, less on features". Do you believe these brands have cut the investment on features and diverted the money in getting better quality components for better SQ when compared to other brands ? For example, I would like to know if receivers like Arcam 360, T757, Anthem 500 have better quality components at the cost of having other features. The reason for me to ask this question to you is that you have done a great postmortem of DSP-Z9 and educated many of us on the quality of the components used in it. I can give one simple example of what I have seen. Marantz Sr6007 (rated at 110 wpc as per FTC rating) is lighter in weight (around 11 kgs) when compared to the similarly rated T757 (around 15 kgs). So does it indicate T757 using better components even though it had few HDMI/USB or any other i/o ports ?

I have to explain a lot to give a proper detailed answer to all your questions. I will do so if I have time later. As of now consider the case of equally priced Marantz & NAD. Nad have less features and connectivity.

Outcome: Features cost a lot in development. Additional connectivity add more cost. So marantz will have slightly lower quality components or less power output due to smaller power supply section to counter the cost of development and hardware+software used in these features. On the other hand the amount saved here by NAD will will put in better power supply section and pre and power amp stages. But these differences become very small when you compare their TOTL models.

An AV amplifier/ AV receiver should have a fine balance between SQ quality, power output and features provided. A CA-751R and a RX-A3020 will provide identical smiles to there owners faces provided the CA owners mindset is set more towards SQ and power output while features taking a back seat. The Yamaha owner have equal priority to SQ and features. Both their TOTL models will more or less have equal product quality as almost all current TOTL models are made in Malaysia.

The question now arises of two identically priced group of NAD/Arcam/CA/Rotel and Yamaha/Denon/Onkyo/Pioneer which will sell more?

The answer will always be Yamaha/Denon/Onkyo/Pioneer.:D

Being the masters of AVR category they have the guts and the glory, the financial strength and might to CRUSH their "Focus on SQ, less on features" opposition when needed. They did so with their "Ubers" and being giant players are more interest in cash cow models. Remember Ferrari is still what Enzo Ferrari dreamed because of the financial strength and backup of Fiat. And if Fiat wants they can make a better sports car than Ferrari. They are just not interested and have no "high end brand image"

Its all about about your priorities and your AVR matching those. I find both CA-751R and RX-A3020 equally astounding. Now the call is yours.

Last edited:
^^^ Well explained for me and the rest of us.

I have to explain a lot to give a proper detailed answer to all your questions. I will do so if I have time later. As of now consider the case of equally priced Marantz & NAD. Nad have less features and connectivity.

I can very well wait for you to post a detailed reply when you find the right time and many of us would be curious to see that. Thanks a lot for educating me.

+1 Don't base your decision to buy an AVR after listening to an Amp even if its from the same manufacturer

I feel that you should increase your budget for the front speakers from 35 K if you plan to spend 1 lack plus on AVR

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back