My first AVR: Harman Kardon AVR158 + JBL SCS140BK/230

Sam369

Hi all!

Been a while since I visited the forum. Hope everybody's doing well.
I just shifted to Dubai a month back and found a (good?) deal for the AVR and speaker system in a garage sale for AED150. That's approx INR3500 which I thought was a decent price, even though the system is over a decade old.
What I received-
Harman Kardon AVR158, Power Cable, HDMI Cable, JBL SCS140/230 Sub with 5 speakers (1 centre + 2 front + 2 surround), 2-male to 2-male RCA cables.
Ordered a 20M wire cord for connecting the speakers.
I will try to set up the speakers and when I tested one satellite, it worked. Although the sound was disturbing, which could probably be due to the HDMI connection with the laptop and/or the YT video.
The struggle with the Sub is real and I think I will either need a single RCA to single RCA cable or a single RCA to 2-RCA one. I'm attaching a few pics for reference.
I'm new to the AVR thing and looking for some guidance on setup and how I could enjoy this best.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-06-11 at 6.46.30 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-06-11 at 6.46.30 PM.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 16
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-06-11 at 6.50.51 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-06-11 at 6.50.51 PM.jpeg
    157.6 KB · Views: 16
Hi all!

Been a while since I visited the forum. Hope everybody's doing well.
I just shifted to Dubai a month back and found a (good?) deal for the AVR and speaker system in a garage sale for AED150. That's approx INR3500 which I thought was a decent price, even though the system is over a decade old.
What I received-
Harman Kardon AVR158, Power Cable, HDMI Cable, JBL SCS140/230 Sub with 5 speakers (1 centre + 2 front + 2 surround), 2-male to 2-male RCA cables.
Ordered a 20M wire cord for connecting the speakers.
I will try to set up the speakers and when I tested one satellite, it worked. Although the sound was disturbing, which could probably be due to the HDMI connection with the laptop and/or the YT video.
The struggle with the Sub is real and I think I will either need a single RCA to single RCA cable or a single RCA to 2-RCA one. I'm attaching a few pics for reference.
I'm new to the AVR thing and looking for some guidance on setup and how I could enjoy this best.

Thanks for reading!

If using a single RC, it should be connected from Subwoofer OUT (on the AVR, usually a black color female port) to LFE in on the subwoofer. Use a proper Subwoofer cable if the usual cable does not work.

Download the manual for the AVR which will ensure you do setup properly. I am sure someone would have uploaded review / setup videos over Youtube.

All the best

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back