My first Buy - Stereo Amplifier.

zelda

Hello Folks,

I am new to Hi-Fi world and after going through much reviews and confusions, I bought a pair of Pioneer BS-22 Book shelf speakers. Now i am in the market for a good entry level stereo Amplifier. Originally, i was thinking of buying an entry level model from Norge like 2030 or 2060. But today I came across a offer for MARANTZ PM5004 STEREO INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER in HifiMart for 16,875.00. I could not find many reviews for it but I read a short review in Stereophile.com and it was positive. Is the Marantz worth the extra money as compared to that of Norge? Or should I settle down with the Norge?

Anyone, please help me out..... :sad:

Hi,
As Jay suggested Marantz will be good choice upon Norge ,if you could afford. So what is your source and Preferred usage Music or Movies or Both?

Since you starting with Entry level you could , Go with and enjoy.

Go for the Marantz and you can buy from HiFi Mart ....there service is very good.....

Try listening to both. They sound quite different. Though i use Marantz, i also regret having sold my Norge 2060.

Congrats on your new BS.!
Marantz pm5004 at that price is a good deal. Even I was planning to upgrade from Norge 2060 to Marantz and later decided to hold on.

Thanks for the reply guys.. So Marantz is much better than Norge? I wish I could demo both side by side but that's impossible...:confused::confused:

I dialled DNI at Ballandur. They offered the Marantz for 20k after discount. If I did decide to buy ,Hifimart would be the better choice.. But I am thinking of a demo from DNI :eek:hyeah:

@Audiofreek , I prefer music more even though I use both. 60 % music and 40% movies. I use HTPC as the source.

I contacted HT store. They quoted 16.5k. How can I avail warranty if I buy from HiFi vision or any online store?I am a bit concerned about after sales service and warranty because I have never made a major purchase from a online store..

I contacted HT store. They quoted 16.5k. How can I avail warranty if I buy from HiFi vision or any online store?I am a bit concerned about after sales service and warranty because I have never made a major purchase from a online store..

Hifimart is also a authorized seller for Marantz, please the check the hifimart site and also the forum.

If you are getting locally in bangalore for 16.5k no need to buy online.
You can visit the store and get it. No hassles of shipping etc.

I have decided to audition both. But I don't know if demo for Norge is available in Bangalore. Anyone ?

Zelda ,

Buy a good amplifier which is capable of generating 70w to 100W - 8 / 4 ohms . This will ensure that you have a wide range of speakers to choose from . Otherwise your amp will not generate enough power to drive speakers . I know that u already have pioneer speakers ...check the specs ...and also plan for the future ...in case u change speakers ...your exisiting amp should be able to drive those speakers . Amplifiers have a long life ...invest in a good one ...increase your budget ...

Marantz is a good brand ...I have one too ....but the one ur buying ...will limit your choice of speakers in the future .....you will not feel like you are listening to Hifi ...this is like Nano Marantz ...ur going for it only because its cheap ....

save some more money ...get a good kit ...and you will really enjoy HIFI

Dear Zelda,
Do you have experience in DIY or would you consider it with help from some friend?

I ask because if you can then your possibilities are greatly improved.

For starters you can consider the DCB1 pre amp and pair it with any decent poweramp like the Amp camp amp. It should easily fit your budget. Do a search on the forum and you will know what I am talking about. But this is only if you have access to friends who can help you with the DIY efforts. There are plenty helpful forum members who can help you do just that.

I will keep it short as I dont want to bring in any bias :) Rest is left to your homework and auditioning :)

Irrespective of what you end up setting up wishing you the best of luck for a great musical journey!

Cheers!

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back