My first impression

Bhaskar Jyoti Talapatra

Hello friends
Happy Diwali to all. However I already informed you that I bought my first hifi system for which I have been waiting so long. Here I am trying to inform you how I feel after my entry into hi-fi world. As forum members advise , I bought speakers first then procured the amplifier based on the reviews as audition was not possible in this covid situation. Having received my system I searched on line how to set the system properly and asked some FMs. My speakers are wharefedal diamond 9.2 and I have chosen marantz pm 6005. My sources are vinyls and CDs and for streaming I have my Bluetooth enabled active speakers and Bose sound link revolve plus.
When I began spinning vinyls I was disappointed as I didn't get the desired sound. Then I came to know about burn in. I started on last Wednesday and today I have found that I am getting what I want. This amp speaker combo is great for me. I get good sound signature, punchy bass and very sweet midrange. This combo gets louder at slightly more than 9 o'clock position. I usually listen to Rabindrasangeet, Bengali Adhunik, Indian classical and Bollywood oldies. I like all the genres that I play now on my new system. I have discovered that I can now listen to some new sound of instruments which I had never experienced. At low volume the music is nice and at increased volume the sound has slight colour. The sound has warmth,depth and a very soothing,charming colour with a fine stereo separation. Of all the genres I begin to love Bollywood oldies even more than before ,specially RDB hits. Earlier I had a doubt whether my new system would sound better than my existing active speakers. Now I can say that both are good and I am satisfied with what I get. I feared that the sound would be bright and fatiguing but in reality the wharefedal diamond marantz combo is warm, soothing and mind blowing. Marantz is really very musical. I am writing this for people like me who don't have enough scope of auditioning and also who have a very restricted budget to quench thirst for a quality product.
Thanks for looking.
Regards

Hello friends
Happy Diwali to all. However I already informed you that I bought my first hifi system for which I have been waiting so long. Here I am trying to inform you how I feel after my entry into hi-fi world. As forum members advise , I bought speakers first then procured the amplifier based on the reviews as audition was not possible in this covid situation. Having received my system I searched on line how to set the system properly and asked some FMs. My speakers are wharefedal diamond 9.2 and I have chosen marantz pm 6005. My sources are vinyls and CDs and for streaming I have my Bluetooth enabled active speakers and Bose sound link revolve plus.
When I began spinning vinyls I was disappointed as I didn't get the desired sound. Then I came to know about burn in. I started on last Wednesday and today I have found that I am getting what I want. This amp speaker combo is great for me. I get good sound signature, punchy bass and very sweet midrange. This combo gets louder at slightly more than 9 o'clock position. I usually listen to Rabindrasangeet, Bengali Adhunik, Indian classical and Bollywood oldies. I like all the genres that I play now on my new system. I have discovered that I can now listen to some new sound of instruments which I had never experienced. At low volume the music is nice and at increased volume the sound has slight colour. The sound has warmth,depth and a very soothing,charming colour with a fine stereo separation. Of all the genres I begin to love Bollywood oldies even more than before ,specially RDB hits. Earlier I had a doubt whether my new system would sound better than my existing active speakers. Now I can say that both are good and I am satisfied with what I get. I feared that the sound would be bright and fatiguing but in reality the wharefedal diamond marantz combo is warm, soothing and mind blowing. Marantz is really very musical. I am writing this for people like me who don't have enough scope of auditioning and also who have a very restricted budget to quench thirst for a quality product.
Thanks for looking.
Regards

Congratulations Bhaskar & happy Diwali to you. Great that you got the sound you were looking for. The best part is, you got the gear combination right for your tastes. Marantz at its price point sounds sweet especially the mid & upper-priced units. They have a nice roll off of the higher frequencies which makes them sound sweet. Wharfedale too is liked by many for their laid back sound.

Have started listening to CDs . Have connected my basic Philips DVD player ( model No 642k/69) to marantz pm 6005 using the amp's line in ( tuner). As of now I have spinned Bollywood oldies, Tagore songs and the sound is pleasing. The amp gets loud at 9 o'clock position. Surprised a bit because I have to keep the volume more than 9 o'clock when I am playing vinyls. However, both company made ( branded ones) and home made CDs are quite satisfactory. Stereo separation, sound signature, vocal , bass ,all are balanced and very good. But to my ears vinyls sound sweeter than CDs. While listening to CDs I thought that vinyls would produce more beautiful sound. Just my thought. Now my two questions to respected forum members--
1. I heard clicks and pops while spinning some CDs. I can't make out the reason.
2. When I switched on the amp and later switched on that DVD player , I heard a loud sound. This happens even when I connected that DVD player to my Philips powered speakers. But when I switch on my , TT no such sound can be heard. I am surprised besides being anxious .
Waiting for your valuable reply.
Regards
Bhaskar

Have started listening to CDs . Have connected my basic Philips DVD player ( model No 642k/69) to marantz pm 6005 using the amp's line in ( tuner). As of now I have spinned Bollywood oldies, Tagore songs and the sound is pleasing. The amp gets loud at 9 o'clock position. Surprised a bit because I have to keep the volume more than 9 o'clock when I am playing vinyls. However, both company made ( branded ones) and home made CDs are quite satisfactory. Stereo separation, sound signature, vocal , bass ,all are balanced and very good. But to my ears vinyls sound sweeter than CDs. While listening to CDs I thought that vinyls would produce more beautiful sound. Just my thought. Now my two questions to respected forum members--
1. I heard clicks and pops while spinning some CDs. I can't make out the reason.
2. When I switched on the amp and later switched on that DVD player , I heard a loud sound. This happens even when I connected that DVD player to my Philips powered speakers. But when I switch on my , TT no such sound can be heard. I am surprised besides being anxious .
Regards
Bhaskar

Hi Bhaskar,

I too have a cd & bluray player connected to the Marantz receiver. I have never heard any clicking or popping sound. It's always very silent. The issue must be something else. Maybe some knowledgeable member should be able to help you out regarding this issue.

Regards.

Thanks Nitin for sharing your experience. Actually I am surprised because I have never heard pops and clicks while spinning CDs in my Sony hifi. Though not all the CDs produce that noise but some CDs do create this . However, how do you connect your CDP and Blu-ray disc player to marantz receiver? Optical cable? Again have you ever heard any thumping sound when you switch on your CDP or when you switch it off?
Regards

how do you connect your CDP and Blu-ray disc player to marantz receiver? Optical cable? Again have you ever heard any thumping sound when you switch on your CDP or when you switch it off?
My Marantz CDP was connected to my receiver via analog outs as I thought that the DAC in the CDP should be better than the DAC in the receiver. Blue ray player through HDMI out. No thumping sound when switching on.

Hi Bhaskar

For the thump :
When switching on - amp must the last to turn on and when switching off , the first to turn off. This is the general rule especially when using separate phonostage or preamps. If it’s occurring even after folllwing correct order you need to check your grounding , wall power supply etc. Are you connecting directly to mains or using surge protectors ?

For clicks and pops :
Do you get this even for all original CDs ? Very few CDs like Kishore Megaphone Tagore songs have inherent jitter issues but that’s rather an exception. Some trial and error needs to be done to identify the cause :
Try changing the line out in the amp.
Also try changing the RCA ICs.
Borrow a different DVD player from local shop.

Let us know the results.
Regards

Last edited:
Regards
Bhaskar
The clicks and pops..are you sure the sound is that or does it sound mechanical in nature. Try playing the same after cleaning the surface of the CD . Read errors can come cross as some distortions, although not sure if it will have a pop sound.

Regarding the sound from the DVD player as Bloom mentioned Amp should be the last on OR you can change the selector to another input while switching the DVDp on.

Last edited:
Thanks Nitin for sharing your experience. Actually I am surprised because I have never heard pops and clicks while spinning CDs in my Sony hifi. Though not all the CDs produce that noise but some CDs do create this . However, how do you connect your CDP and Blu-ray disc player to marantz receiver? Optical cable? Again have you ever heard any thumping sound when you switch on your CDP or when you switch it off?
Regards
Hi Bhaskar,
Most welcome. The CD player is connected by RCA cable to the receiver since I wanted to use the dac of the Marantz cdp. The bluray player is connected to the receiver via HDMI cable for movies. Pls try changing the selector input as others have mentioned. If the issue is with only certain cd's then the cd may be a problem .Long back had heard a clicking sound due to a faulty cd.

Regards.

I am not using any surge protector. The AC cords of the CDP, the TT and the IA are inserted into the main. So far I have been doing just the opposite to what you have mentioned i.e switching the amp on at first and then after a listening session switching the amp off . Thanks for your suggestion.
Yes, this pop and clicks are audible even when an original CD is played and surprisingly some home burnt CDs don't give any noise.
Ok. Will surely do as you have advised. All the CDs don't make that noise but only some have become problematic.
Thanks everyone for suggestions.
Regards

Hi Bhaskar

I highly recommend getting a Havells 4-plug surge protector from local electrical shop (with individual switches ). Costs 500-600 approx.

My guess is that there is an issue with the DVD player itself - so try lending a player and see. Marantz integrated amps are very sturdy and robust.

Scratchy CDs in my experience will throw skipping issues or can stop playing entirely - but never heard pops and clicks from them.

Scratchy CDs in my experience will throw skipping issues or can stop playing entirely - but never heard pops and clicks from them.
+1 to this. Scratches are usually not visible to the eye but they do cause loud scratching sound. Not "Perfect Sound Forever" as Sony would like us to believe:)

Can't say but can guess that those are vinyl rips. Again the first CD that produces clicks is of Saregama made one and it hasn't been used for many days. It is actually a CD of devotional songs of Md. Rafi( Tere bharose hay Nandalal) which I bought in 2006 from Modern Music Centre at sisir market ,just under the fly over adjacent to Sealdah station. Of some other CDs giving out problems one is Hemanta's basic Hindi songs ( Kitna dukh vulaya Tumne) and I am sure most of the tracks are vinyl rips and even some from shellacs because a typical pops coming from vinyl can be heard. Surprisingly all the home burnt CDs don't give that awkward noise while some( one or two so far) branded ones create problems. Will clean those and play to see if that problems persist or not. Will definitely let you know.
Regards

Hello
As FMs advised I changed the input from tuner to CD, spinned some CDs and found that the pop and click issue persisted. Both home burnt and company made CDs gave out that pops except an UK pressed one( that may be an exception). Not that pop and clicks were audible during spinning of a CD all the time but it persisted. Therefore I connected the DVD player to my Philips active speakers and changed the RCA and again that clicks and pop could be heard. So, it seems that the DVD player shoots this problem. Now I have two sources for my set up, vinyls and CDs. Pops and clicks are very much common with vinyl play back. So can't emphatically say that the amp is not responsible for this noise. However when the DVD player performed the same with marantz - WD speakers and Philips active ( I mean in both the cases pops are audible) , I can say that the player itself has issues. Can it be fixed if I connect it to my amp through an optical cable and it will just be a transport? Scratchy CDs are not making this problem because fresh CDs also give out that iritating noise( not loud yet disturbing).
As regards the thumping sound , I have followed the advice of FM @Bloom@83 and that problem is solved.
Regards

Hello
As FMs advised I changed the input from tuner to CD, spinned some CDs and found that the pop and click issue persisted. Both home burnt and company made CDs gave out that pops except an UK pressed one( that may be an exception). Not that pop and clicks were audible during spinning of a CD all the time but it persisted. Therefore I connected the DVD player to my Philips active speakers and changed the RCA and again that clicks and pop could be heard. So, it seems that the DVD player shoots this problem. Now I have two sources for my set up, vinyls and CDs. Pops and clicks are very much common with vinyl play back. So can't emphatically say that the amp is not responsible for this noise. However when the DVD player performed the same with marantz - WD speakers and Philips active ( I mean in both the cases pops are audible) , I can say that the player itself has issues. Can it be fixed if I connect it to my amp through an optical cable and it will just be a transport? Scratchy CDs are not making this problem because fresh CDs also give out that iritating noise( not loud yet disturbing).
As regards the thumping sound , I have followed the advice of FM @Bloom@83 and that problem is solved.
Regards

Hi Bhaskar,

Just a thought, if your dvd player has a usb port, then does it make popping/clicking sounds while playing mp3's from the pen drive ?

Last edited:
Id be surprised of they are Vinyl rips, unless those are bootleg cds !
Clicks of course can be a reading issue as filks have mentioned above.
Yeah I was referring to home burned CDs with vinyl rips off the net. I personally have a lot those, and on my Elacs, very low pops do come which was there in the original rip.

Not that I mind low pops and clicks. On the contrary ,they make those recordings sound somehow more organic. That's the reason those who listen to vinyls on a regular basis find it a bit difficult to readjust to the dead silence of CDs. :)

Last edited:
Hello
Regards

Bhaskar

If DVD player is source of the pops and clicks on even fresh (original CDs), I dont think changing from RCA to Optical cable will solve it.
Change the player itself.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back