My first PJ, should I try a cheaper one like UNIC UC40 or buy something up to 30k

Am I the only one suggesting to go with a branded product, I mean the usual suspects like BenQ, Epson and others.
Egate or other Chinese brands will suffice for the user till he/she lays eyes on one of the branded models, the difference is very apparent and the sinking feeling is immediate, there is no getting around that feeling.
So spend 17K now and then be ready to spend more in a year's time, that is how usually it goes.

The Chinese ones are great to dabble your feet into the PJ business but eventually be prepared to go big. I skipped the Chinese step and went with Epson and I know I have done the right thing. Get an Epson EB-X31, it is worth the spend if you have the budget.

There really isn't much difference (in terms of performance) between the Chinese and the entry level offerings from recognized brands.

I am speaking in the Indian context where with the import duties, GST, tax, shipping & handling, etc. we end up paying exorbitant prices compared to US.

Also, do keep in mind the Chinese are offering LED PJs at a budget with anywhere from 20,000 to 30,000 hours - good enough for daily use. The branded ones don't and require a lamp change every 3000 or so hours, leading to additional expenses.

The Epson EB-X31 is only XGA resolution. How does it outperform the Egate with FHD or HD Ready native resolution and with an LED lamp?

The only win is if you can get a PJ from US without the tax, even if it's not LED based, still a winner for around 30K because they will be top of the line and outperform everything else. In India however the same top of the line model will cost 65K to 80K or more... certainly a rip off. Or you have to downgrade and settle for lower specs, oftentimes 800 x 400 resolution.

Of course some advantages to buying local - warranty and service come to mind.

But do note that the likes of XGIMI and Mi (laser PJ) certainly outperform every recognized brand when compared on budget... it's a silly notion to brand Chinese products inferior in this day and age.

Numbers are not always real, but egate is 3600 lumen and epson is 3200. But when it comes to contrast, epson (15000:1) is way ahead of egate (2000:1)

I guess epson contrast is the one that gives sharp images. But again,... egate is HD (1280x800) & epson is Xga. (I dont know how it differs)

I may go to us, mid of next year. Il get a good pj from there. Till then if difference in PQ is not huge between egate & epson, il settle with egate for now...hope it makes sense ??

Last edited:
Numbers are not always real, but egate is 3600 lumen and epson is 3200. But when it comes to contrast, epson (15000:1) is way ahead of egate (2000:1)

I guess epson contrast is the one that gives sharp images. But again,... egate is HD (1280x800) & epson is Xga. (I dont know how it differs)

Eventhough the Epson might have better brightness & contrast over Egate P513, the Epson EB-X31 is XGA native resolution (4:3), while the Egate P513 is WXGA which is 16:10 native resolution which is close to Widescreen aspect ratio of 16:9..

With 30K, you get only 4:3 capable projector here.. That is the issue..

Egate K9 which is a DLP-RGB LED PJ with a 1280 x 800 Native resolution (16:10), abt 35K will be a comparable/better model to Epson EB-X31 for the same price..

I may go to us, mid of next year. Il get a good pj from there. Till then if difference in PQ is not huge between egate & epson, il settle with egate for now...hope it makes sense ??

Until you get a hang of PJ critical features, delay your next purchase..No point spending on something without understanding the limitations/benefits it will offer..

Since you said you room would be semi-dark, Egate P513 will keep you happy until you make your next upgrade.. If you have regular wall where you can project the image in the room, try to take inputs on black widow paint from FM (@danielnaveen2003) and try it.. An inexpensive way to complement the LED PJ brightenss..

Thank you elangoas...:) im sure il get a pj from us. Till then il use Egate P513. Il check the price from the company and place the order whichever delivers fast, if the price is more or less the same as amazon.

Everyone in the thread... thanks a lot for all the help... and if any of you come to Hyderabad, dinner is no me :eek:hyeah:

Brother... the scenario is simple. If you want a car, you always can buy a nano, a swift , a city, a BMW or even a Rolls Royce. The selection depends on your wallet as well as the use. No one will buy a BMW if your only use for the car is to go to next panwala once a while. Similarly, you need to take a call on your PJ based on what you need
If your intention is to watch youtube/DVD in a dark environment which you are planning to replace in another 1 year, a single LCD PJ like egate will suffice. If you are looking for a long standing engagement which shows decent picture even in semi-dark environment, look for entry levels from epson/optoma/acer etc
If your need is to enjoy full HD experience, be ready to spend upwards of 75k INR and look for full HD native PJs from major brands. Or you can even aim for 4k experience which demands you to spend from 4L INR onwards.
And always go for a demo, before you purchase it. Even if you are not getting exact match, you can ask for a demo for single LCD PJs, DLP PJs , LED PJs etc with different lumen outputs and native resolutions and take a call.
And unlike you learn a car with a low end model, you need not learn a PJ with a basic model before you go serious.
I know I have confused you more, but you need to decide based on your needs. Wishes..

Since you are an other bike enthusiast, quoting this Ex:

CBR250R that is sold in India, 1.75 Lacs ($2,500) cost about $4,000 or more in US & abt 4,000 Pound in UK.. Same with KTM..

So what is reasonable as $4,000 in US is 1.75 Lacs reasonable in India..If you were to take that relation, a $1,000 product in US, should cost significantly less in India..

A even more better example..Yamaha Gladiator, a 125cc, that is 60K (700 pounds) here in India is about 2,500 pounds in UK (2.25 Lacs)..

@mods, please don't delete this post.. I didn't make any comparison of electronics product between India Vs other countries..

Im using yamaha fzs and hyundai grand I10. Im a fan of KTM. I want one so badly..my wife is a speedbreaker for me:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah: (fzs bike is a gift from my wife. She wants me to use it till i die :eek:hyeah:

Im using yamaha fzs and hyundai grand I10. Im a fan of KTM. I want one so badly..my wife is a speedbreaker for me:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah: (fzs bike is a gift from my wife. She wants me to use it till i die :eek:hyeah:
I got the specs from the Egate company. 531 has wifi and some ram and rom etc. (Just for info)
ba004f80525a7c7a5ad13487044dd2be.jpg

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Native resolution and ANSI Lumens are what you need to look at.

Native resolution should be FHD or at least as near to it as possible.

ANSI Lumens is low... better at 1200. 600 means you will need to darken the room. Really good ones go around 2000 and more ANSI Lumens.

ItsMe... you didn't confuse me at all.... it helps !!!

Now I'll try to Elaborate on the analogy, you already own LG 55" full HD TV. The comparison lines are unfortunately pretty clear.

Its like you're buying a SUV when you currently own a Sedan. You already own a Good Sedan like Toyota Altis ; you are thinking of buying a cheaper Bolero to check your appetite for SUVs. I'd suggest you that you buy at least decently equipped Duster or Ecosport to know how they perform and take a call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

every word you said makes sense... and I understood it better when you explained with cars and Suvs... :)
Keep it simple. A projector is an experience, you are not yet aware of, in your home with your setup. Get a basic one in my opinion, see if you like it, your family likes it, no one gets a headache, etc. Decide how you want to use a projector, say weekend movie nights, day/night out with friends on a Sports day, daily tv watching, etc.

A projector is Not a replacement for a tv and vice versa. Both serve different purposes in my opinion, so no point comparing them.

Keep us updated with your quest.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

It is definitely not for watching tv, and regular use. It is for watching 1 or 2 movies over the weekend. My 1.5 year old daughter wont leave me alone :lol:

Now I'll try to Elaborate on the analogy, you already own LG 55" full HD TV. The comparison lines are unfortunately pretty clear.

Its like you're buying a SUV when you currently own a Sedan. You already own a Good Sedan like Toyota Altis ; you are thinking of buying a cheaper Bolero to check your appetite for SUVs. I'd suggest you that you buy at least decently equipped Duster or Ecosport to know how they perform and take a call.

I am sorry and I don't mean to offend you, but you are missing the point... and misleading the OP.

By your logic, my mobile is QHD (obviously better specs, pixel per pixel) and my TV if FHD (even at 55" it's lesser specs). So yeah, let's watch TV, IPL and the movies on the mobile, not the 55" TV.

What I'm really saying... nobody is going to get anything like the TV specs in a PJ. At least not until one is willing to spend over $10,000. Forget features like 4K and HDR. There really is no comparison between the two... so why do you still insist on comparing?

If you want the specs then go with LG OLED... nothing like it... but it's not 120 inches of PJ glory and it never will be.

OTOH, go with a PJ for the large screen immersive experience.

Obviously the best of both worlds is the right way to go... get a 120 inch heaven with 4K, HDR, and LED in your home... yeah but then it beats the point of the OP's quest to find something in budget just to test the waters.

Peace out.

Drkrack is trying to say to go for some thing as best as I can. :) some times I do it with my friends too.
I discouraged my friend from buying a normal ht, and diverted him to yht196. He is happy now.

And These are the other points im considering.
1. Im sure that il get a much better pj from us, mid of next year.

2. My usage will be a only a few hours per week.

3. Il keep the room nearly dark. Im hijacking childrens bedroom for a dedicated ht room;)

4. This is going to be my first big screen, and my expectations are not too high.
Il compromise on clarity and experience big screen size.

5. Im thinking of allocating some budget for media source, and audio components this year.

Considering the above points, I think il go with P513 for now, and get hands on experience. There is always scope for upgrade along with learning... :)

I placed an order on Amazon... it will come tomorrow. :yahoo:
But a long hdmi cable will come in 3 to 4 days.

Last edited:
5. Im thinking of allocating some budget for media source, and audio components this year.

I suppose you have more access to BR Rips like most of us in the forum..As far as audio is concerned, you just need to bitstream to AVR..Either a laptop with HDMI/PC with Graphics card should do..

For video processing, you can rely on AVR internal processing (if it has one) (or) in the form of dedicated graphics card..

Considering the above points, I think il go with P513 for now, and get hands on experience. There is always scope for upgrade along with learning... :)

I placed an order on Amazon... it will come tomorrow. :yahoo:

This was real quick.. Good luck.. :thumbsup: Share your experience..

But a long hdmi cable will come in 3 to 4 days.

Until then play videos thru PJ USB port..

Buy a 'native' 720P Egate Projector and put it next to a XGA resolution Epson/BenQ. Watch the picture quality, I will not have to write a single sentence.

And 3500 lumens on a Egate? If only....if only there was a way to check the claims on the spec sheet.
XGA native resolution projectors from reputed brands with R&D legacy will beat any Chinese El Cheapo brand. I urge everyone to see it for yourself, if you have the budget do not waste the money.

If you do not have the budget and still wish to venture into the PJ world then by all means go ahead, no harm in that. As long as you know what you will be getting for the price paid.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back