My Garrard RC210 Restoration - Tragedy to Ecstasy

reubensm

So here goes, have been talking about this project for some time now but got some time to sit down and write about it.

The requirement:

An idea came to my mind, planned to have a display of old equipment in my new listening space and was on the look out for a really old Garrard changer. The intention was only to put it on display and did not really care whether I could find one in working condition or not.

The opportunity:

While going through the forum one day, I noticed a forum member had picked up an old record player and some records. He put out a picture for us to identify the model of this Garrard record player. I was able to identify it correctly of course. He said it sounded sweet and got it for a steal. Some time passed and he started talking about its value and plans to sell it. I got in touch with him and he quoted 15k (if I remember right) for the whole set (record player and in-built valve amplifier). This is quite high and hence I backed out. He got back to me and offered the record player deck. We talked about the price (over email only) and settled for Rs.3050/- which included shipping charges of Rs.550/- (Rs. 2500/- for the deck). I decided to go ahead. I asked about the packaging and was assured that the deck would be packed properly with double boxing and thermocol padding.

The deal:

I paid up online and it was time for our forum member to ship. After a bit of asking, he sent me the tracking number. This is where my surprises started. The seller sent me a note stating that his driver used the courier charges which he gave him to buy liquor and actually booked my package as a payment on delivery (for shipping charges). The shipping charges was Rs.680/- instead of the quoted Rs.550/- and when the package arrived I had to further pay Rs.680/- to the courier guys (which meant in effect, I had paid Rs.1230/- instead of the quoted Rs.550/-. Now thats some start. Now an even bigger shock awaited me when I actually saw the package, the courier guys took out from their truck. The package consisted of a flimsy JBL sub-woofer box which was completely torn on one side, sticking out of it were some folded newspapers and I could see the side of the decks chassis protruding out. The very sight was shocking and very sad indeed. I felt cheated already. The package had not come from the forum member but from somebody else, which made me assume that he was acting as a middle man for a seller of used electronics. On opening up the box, an even bigger surprise awaited me. The tone arm assembly was completely broken off and missing. The center spindle was also missing. The platter was on there but some of the mounting was missing. The platters rubber mat was missing. The scene was absolutely horrific. A lovely vintage Garrard RC210 changer reduced to such a state. I got back to the forum member and he offered a full refund with courier charges. I packed back what was left of the deck (in proper packing) but when I was about to courier it back to him, his colours changed and he stopped corresponding. I decided to push for the courier charges refund first. He was beating about the bush and a to and fro continued over email for nearly 2 weeks. He threatened me with a deformation case and what not (if I presented this case to the hifivision community). Luckily accounting and legal aspects are part of my profession and hence I was able to easily tide over the threats. Finally he gave in and sent me a refund cheque for Rs.690/-. I expected it to bounce but it didnt after all. The forum member stopped communicating with me and also went quiet on the forum. Now I had this piece of scrap which I effectively paid Rs.3050/- for.

Here are some pictures of the shabby packaging. Im sure not even a complete dummy would send a turntable from the North to South India in such packaging.

16052013006.jpg

16052013.jpg

16052013002.jpg

16052013005.jpg

Prelude to the Project:

It was hard for me to stomach the details of the deal. Felt really sad and cheated. Everytime I looked at the changer, I felt quite disgusted. It was not about the money but how such a lovely deck could have been ruined so badly because of irresponsible packing. Had got this originally for display purposes, but the design of the room had changed and instead of displaying vintage equipment, thought Ill display gold/platinum framed disks of famous albums. Hence, this chassis hit my restoration thought process. I consulted with my brother and we decided to bite the bullet and restore this deck (or what was left of it).

Yet another surprise:

We decided to connect the mains wires of the deck and see if the motor was turning. Of course, since the spindle was missing we could not check if the platter was actually turning but atleast, a working motor would have brought some relief. On connecting the mains, we noticed that the motor was humming, but it did not turn. Bad news. Decided to take the turntable and motor apart. On opening it we were absolutely shocked. There was what felt like centuries of dirt and dust. To add to that, the motor was dry and full of muck. There was hair rolled round the motor shaft and it had stalled. There was no way this turntable could have played when the forum member tested it. Wonder how it sounded so sweet to his ears.

Work starts:

Got the motor fully cleaned, lubed and serviced. Put new bushes for it and the motor was back on the chassis. The idler was surprisingly as good as new (but covered in about 5-6 layers of oily muck). Took a whole day to clean the idler and it looked brilliant after that. Some of the springs in the area had stretched and lost their tension, due to many years of non-use and rusting. Had a few spare springs with us and hence we were able to easily replace these. Meanwhile, a colleague in the UK helped source a replacement spindle assembly and tone arm assembly. These came with a colleague down to India, carried by hand.

Back to life:

We fitted the spindle assembly (this was a complex task and thank god, we had the original service manual) which took a whole week. The platter was now in place and so was he tone arm assembly, complete with its original spring (counter balance). We plugged it up and saw the platter spin for the first time. The deck was extremely silent, so typically of an old Garrard that is cleaned and serviced. We were very excited. However another part was yet to be sourced, the headshell.

Yet another surprise:

Before throwing out the box and its newspaper packaging, took out some of the newspapers to read through them. Noticed a small packet hidden between some of the papers. It was a shocking discovery, not because it was found in between the papers but due to the content of the little plastic packet. There was a broken Sonotone cart in there, a cantilever which had been separated from the stylus assembly and a few screws (presumably the mounting screws of the turntable). With some careful surgery, we were able to fit back the cantilever to the rest of the stylus assembly but the cart was badly broken.

Mr. Kuruvila, the gentleman:

Thought Id run a check with Mr. Kuruvila on where I could buy a ceramic cartridge. Before I could flip an eyelid, Mr. Kuruvila offered to send me a Sonotone replacement cartridge. It was a terrific gesture and he refused to charge me for it. Fantastic!! He had it hand carried from Kottayam to Trivandrum through one of his relatives. It was a pleasure meeting the lady, she was very kind. I collected the cartridge in person. However on taking a closer look, I noticed that the assembly which held the cantilever in position was eaten away by time (these carts are very old and from the 1950s and early 1960s). It was in splendid shape otherwise, but sadly we could not make use of it. What a pity after such a lovely gesture by Mr. Kuruvila. Now, we needed to get a Garrard replacement headshell and ceramic cartridge.

Back to sourcing:

Searched ebay.com and managed to locate a replacement headshell in the United States. Now we also needed to source a new cartridge. Decided to source a stereo ceramic cartridge instead of a mono one. This would also mean that the tone arm wiring would need to be changed (we had connected up the mono wiring on the replacement tonearm assembly). Managed to get a stereo ceramic cartridge with a flip stylus (microgroove/78) from an on-line seller which was basically NOS. This was a great find and this is where we stand today. The headshell and cartridge will arrive in just over a months time.

In the interim:

Meanwhile as we await the headshell and cart, Ive decided to use the time in between to construct a plinth. Ive got some spare wood from my house construction and have put it in the rain to soak properly (the monsoon is on currently in Kerala). Once the rains are over, will dry it out properly in the hot Kerala sun and then start work on the plinth. Its going to be a very simple plinth and cabinet which is adequate for such decks. Im sending across some pictures of the deck which I took today (at this stage of the project). Keep watching this space for further progress.

The deck in transportation mode:
r2qt.jpg

The deck ready for action (after a good cleanup, its looking really fresh and nice):
cirp.jpg

The model number:
45jm.jpg

A new spindle (very complex assembly):
rqtp.jpg

A view of the tonearm assembly after the replacement tonearm is fitted:
3ddr.jpg

The replacement tonearm:
xwwl.jpg

The speed selector (with the Made In England tag):
tzmx.jpg

The manual/automatic operating levers:
15w1.jpg

The motor (honestly its good as new, now. Garrard motors are built to last a couple of lifetimes):
okxq.jpg

The overall under-chassis mechanicals after re-fitment:
lkbx.jpg

The tonearm assembly (under-chassis):
ek00.jpg

The tonearm counter-balance mechanism (now you know why older Garrads are not suitable for magnetic carts):
coh9.jpg

The tonearm wiring connectors (tag board):
1d7y.jpg

The heart of the deck, the spindle assembly (one complex piece of machinery, never attempt to fix this without a manual):
ko13.jpg

The contribution from Mr. Kuruvila, well packed (very kind of him to help out):
fye.jpg

Mr. Kuruvila's cart with the stylus fitted. Note that the cantilever is not engaged by the cart assembly:
s8bj.jpg

Last edited:
you have cleaned it so well, looks very neat and clean.

My best wishes for the further process.

Hope this kind of cheating does not happen again in our forum.

I also had a bad experience with a Forum Member recently. He send a PM to inquire about any good TT. I offered him an excellent Pioneer DD and he insisted that I send it through someone to Bangalore. Since he was a Forum member, I offered it for Rs2K less than I would have given outside. I sent it through my daughter to Bangalore and informed him to send me the payment. It is almost a month and he has made no move to either send me the payment nor is he sending me his mobile number. My first experience trusting him as he was a FM. I shall be more cautious in future

I had a bit of negative experience with a seller here. Saw that he had been banned earlier on hfv. pm'd one of the mods. Still no reply.
Regulating a forum marketplace is a can of worms - Some of the indian forums I've been part of have taken different approaches to it. I'm guessing the mods here don't want to get involved in the first place - and to be honest, they neednt be, but then there is the enormous goodwill hfv has built up these fly by night operators are encashing.

Reuben, your particular seller was the same guy who was subsequently caught red handed posting here about products he had put up for sale elsewhere ( I recall it was for some russian turntable), and removed all evidence when it was bought to light.

I think it's time we set up something like audiokarma's pony express.

Last edited:
Honestly I feel that it is really bad when someone does not play fair and ends up failing to meet expectations. I have had some very good experiences dealing with our forum members and they've all become close friends. This is the first instance. Its not about the money, at the end of the day, 3000 bucks is not that big a deal but felt very sad that the changer was ruined because of someone's carelessness. Also there were a lot of mis-represented facts and unfortunate statements made in our to and fro communication on the changer. I realized that he is some kind of commercial guy only after the deal was done.

Nevertheless I am a very positive person and have been brought up that way. This unfortunate incident has created an opportunity for us to restore a Garrard Idler turntable. This could be the prelude for a block buster restoration project on a big Garrard idler. Experience is extremely valuable. Who knows, destiny may bring me face to face with a 301 or 401 someday and this restoration experience can be put to best use.

It is sad to see what is happening on the forum which is a tight knit community and there is (at-least that is what I though) an honor system where trust and a gentleman's handshake was all that was required. Well I guess reality is catching up. Perhaps the Mod's should consider a feedback section (like audiogon), that is reported either by a seller or a buyer based on their transaction experience. Even this can be misused, but at-least it is a first step.
Cheers,
Sid

Nevertheless I am a very positive person and have been brought up that way. This unfortunate incident has created an opportunity for us to restore a Garrard Idler turntable. This could be the prelude for a block buster restoration project on a big Garrard idler. Experience is extremely valuable. Who knows, destiny may bring me face to face with a 301 or 401 someday and this restoration experience can be put to best use.

That's the attitude!

A few bad apples only! My experience during a few deals within the forum has been fantastic and I felt safe with these lovely peaple. High time to develop a mechanism for weeding out the wheeler-dealers.
@ ruebensm - wish you great success in your project. I always wanted to have a Garrard changer, just for watching it operate.

Nevertheless I am a very positive person and have been brought up that way

I have had some very good experiences dealing with our forum members and they've all become close friends. This is the first instance.

Kudos on your positive attitude Reubensm!

I too have had very good experiences while buying stuff from other FMs. On the whole, I do believe that most of the FMs of our forum are here because of their passion for audio. There will always be the few bad eggs in the basket - I guess that is inevitable given the popularity of our forum.

A few precautions that I take before confirming a deal with a FM:
1. Deal only with FMs who have been in the forum for a little while by checking the date joined and the number of posts.
2. Check if the FMs have sold items previously, and whether there were any complications reported from that
3. Check a few recent posts made by the FM to get an idea regarding the person. This is very subjective, but a few min spent reading some posts made by the FM will usually give a good idea regarding the person, his attitudes, etc. I did refuse to confrim a deal with an earstwhile FM after reading some of his posts - and figuring out that many of his posts were of a commercial nature.

Though none of the above precautions can gurantee a safe transaction, it does help to build my confidance that I am dealing with an honest person.

Best Regards,
APK

Good work Reuben!! All the very best. I am sorry for your experience in sourcing. It is sad that a few bad apples spoil the whole atmosphere of the forum. We certainly need a feedback area. I can also see that there a few new members posting innocuous comments just to make them eligible for the forum privileges. These people need to be watched.

Again your attitude is right...and most of us are of the same kind. All teh best once again...

Love the enthusiasm Reubem. Sorry you had to go through that...

These are learnings for all of us. On the bright side, you get to restore this from scratch and like you said if a 301 or 401 comes your way, your ready to Operate :).

One piece of feedback I have given my brother is to take pictures of the original state before doing anything. He often forgets to do this in his enthusiasm to open up and fix things. He's not the camera kind of guy and almost never takes any photos.

Hey Reuben, sorry to read all that you wrote about the experience. That is horrible, specially coming from a fellow forum member.
On another note, why not we post the namesn details & handles of outright cheating FMs so that one cannot cheat others. Agreed, there can be othery ways to cheat too, but at least we plug one big hole here. And the idea stands: to deter such selling.

Also, It would be particularly nice, if there is a section where every transaction on the forum has to have a feedback written. In this way, we can even have an idea about the dealings on the forum & hence build a feedback system with the sellers & buyers too (like that in case of Kuruvilla sir)
What say?

Last edited:
Now to the plinth design. Being an old Garrard which will use a ceramic cartridge, there is really no point in going in for an exotic multi-layered plinth (this will be very expensive and too difficult for me to build by myself). Have decided to try 2 approaches:

1) a full cabinet with the plinth hole like this one:

lk5j.jpg

2) a side-walled cabinet with supports for the deck (this will look slick and is easy for a carpentry novice for me to build):

yirn.jpg

A DIY stereo ceramic cartridge phonostage will also go into the box (with powersupply). Looking at a few circuits:

preampstageforceramicph.jpg

5xtorf2.gif

5xtorf8.gif

5xtorf9.gif

2009714234822526.jpg

basseqpreampcorrectionf.gif

Being an old Garrard which will use a ceramic cartridge,

Would like to ask you about the ceramic cartridges that the Garrard & similar tts would take. Is the ceramic cartridge that it has is a 1/2 inch mount; like the MM/ MC cartridges?
The cartridge sent by Kuruvilla sir looks similar to what the old HMVs used to have, but minus the metal mount, if I can make out correctly from the picture. Is it so?

Good luck for the restoration process.

Regards,
Saket

Would like to ask you about the ceramic cartridges that the Garrard & similar tts would take. Is the ceramic cartridge that it has is a 1/2 inch mount; like the MM/ MC cartridges?
The cartridge sent by Kuruvilla sir looks similar to what the old HMVs used to have, but minus the metal mount, if I can make out correctly from the picture. Is it so?

Good luck for the restoration process.

Regards,
Saket

Yes, for Garrard its the standard half inch mount. This is the cart which I have ordered. This one has a plastic half-inch mount (unlike the old metal ones).

a20791a13ee688e38d6c51_m.JPG

Here is where I ordered it from:

Phonograph cartridge Varco TN4 TN-4 TN-4A EV 5126 5126d TN4B TN4A 864-DS73

Yes, for Garrard its the standard half inch mount. This is the cart which I have ordered. This one has a plastic half-inch mount (unlike the old metal ones).

That looks classy. But wanted to know if the old cartridge is similar in specs with old HMV ceramic cartridges. Are the cartridges same, except for the mounts?

Thanks,
Saket

That looks classy. But wanted to know if the old cartridge is similar in specs with old HMV ceramic cartridges. Are the cartridges same, except for the mounts?

Thanks,
Saket

The older ceramic cartridges had a metal mount (usually made of stainless steel). Specs-wise, not sure since I haven't seen the spec sheets of old ceramic cartridges but I think its safe to assume that the modern ones may have better fidelity than the older ones. The HMV ceramic carts were designed for small record players were fidelity was not a key requirement. Here is a picture of a typical old-generation ceramic cart with the stainless steel mount:

image.php

This the how the cartridge mount of the one I've ordered, looks:

P187DtopRear.JPG

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back