My Garrard RC210 Restoration - Tragedy to Ecstasy

The older ceramic cartridges had a metal mount (usually made of stainless steel). Specs-wise, not sure since I haven't seen the spec sheets of old ceramic cartridges but I think its safe to assume that the modern ones may have better fidelity than the older ones. The HMV ceramic carts were designed for small record players were fidelity was not a key requirement. Here is a picture of a typical old-generation ceramic cart with the stainless steel mount:

I have a strong feeling that the cartridges may be interchangeable. Not sure, but just looking at the pictures. Spec wise, I am not sure. Thanks for the effort Reuben!

Regards,
Saket

Project Update: The headshell has finally been sourced and has been carried down to India by a friend. However, I noticed that the headshell has been wired for mono and hence I will have to re-wire it (the cart which i've ordered is a stereo ceramic one). The headshell was difficult to source as many of them which were available out there had the front punched for the flip-lever. I needed one which was not punched as the cart which I have purchased does not have a flip-lever. The stylus itself is flipped.

This is the type which I received:
671226585_tp.jpg
671226675_tp.jpg

This is the type which I commonly found but did not require:
$T2eC16FHJGwFFZe!s5jBBRf!-cBsSg~~60_35.JPG

Last edited:
The cart which I've ordered is a stereo ceramic cart. Will be wiring the headshell for Stereo. Here's the picture of the same cart model showing the stylus and output pins:

P-226Dc.jpg

Got a chance yesterday to get some wood pieces out. The sun showed up and I put these out to dry properly. Its going to take a month or so for these to completely dry out after the extensive rains we've had in Trivandrum for the last 2 months.

Meanwhile the cart has landed with my friend in Arizona. He's a resident of the United States, so waiting patiently for him to visit for a holiday. Expecting that in a month or two. Can't wait to finish this project and hear the Garrard sing.

Hello from Greece!
I buy my Garrard RC210!!!!!
it's in good condition.. except the sound...
i plug the TT on my mixer in phono line and i get only extreme noise (buzz)....
5auk.jpg

attachment.php

swru.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

any help????:sad:

:signthankspin:

Last edited:
Hello Scorpio, I assume you've just bought this beauty and plugged it into your mixer. By the way, its looking lovely, what a superb looking plinth. Sure it will work well with your TT.

Since you are getting a buzz, it is very evident that you have an issue somewhere in the cable route between your cartridge and mixer. Did you connect the ground wire to the mixer? Have you checked the mixer's inputs? Is the headshell properly seated in the tonearm socket, you can flip the lever down, take it out and check if the contacts are corroded. Also you may have a break in circuit in the tone arm wiring and lastly, the cart itself could be faulty. Please run checks in the sequence mentioned and let me know the results. You can also do a simple check by connecting this TT to any input on your amplifier (since it has its stock ceramic cartridge) you should hear some sound at least, even if its with poor fidelity. Let me know about your observations when you try these out. Thanks.

Hello Scorpio, I assume you've just bought this beauty and plugged it into your mixer. By the way, its looking lovely, what a superb looking plinth. Sure it will work well with your TT.

Since you are getting a buzz, it is very evident that you have an issue somewhere in the cable route between your cartridge and mixer. Did you connect the ground wire to the mixer? Have you checked the mixer's inputs? Is the headshell properly seated in the tonearm socket, you can flip the lever down, take it out and check if the contacts are corroded. Also you may have a break in circuit in the tone arm wiring and lastly, the cart itself could be faulty. Please run checks in the sequence mentioned and let me know the results. You can also do a simple check by connecting this TT to any input on your amplifier (since it has its stock ceramic cartridge) you should hear some sound at least, even if its with poor fidelity. Let me know about your observations when you try these out. Thanks.

Hello and thanks for your answer!!!:yahoo:
i getting a buzz from the 1st time plug tt in mixer "phono line" .... the mixer input is ok cause i tested with my other tt (technics sl-bd22)...
the headshell properly seated in the tonearm socket... i checked with ohm-meter.... :sad:
the contacts is not corroded... :sad:
nothing is broken in circuit as i told you i checked with my ohm-meter....
how can i know if cart itself could be faulty?:confused:
if i connect the tt directly in amplifier i get no buzz but... no sound.... (even with poor fidelity)...:sad:
pleaaaase help......:sad:

hey important point mentioned about the SLBD22 (actually have that TT also). The SLBD20 comes with a moving magnet magnetic cartridge, so you mixer input is suited for magnetic carts. Your Garrard RC210 has a ceramic cart. Hence it is better to connect it directly to the amplifier.

Please do the following:

1) Using a ohm meter, check the cartridge pins (on the Garrard), assuming its a mono cart, you should not get an open circuit, repeat the same with the turntable's leads (at the point where you connect it to your mixer). If it ok, then perfect.

2) Start playing a record on the Garrard without connecting it to the mixer. Place your ear close to the tonearm (near the cartridge) and listen carefully. You should hear faint music from the point where the stylus engages the record grooves. If you hear music and you dont have an open circuit with your cart (at the plug points which go to the mixer), then in all probability, its your cartridge that needs replacement.

hey important point mentioned about the SLBD22 (actually have that TT also). The SLBD20 comes with a moving magnet magnetic cartridge, so you mixer input is suited for magnetic carts. Your Garrard RC210 has a ceramic cart. Hence it is better to connect it directly to the amplifier.

Please do the following:

1) Using a ohm meter, check the cartridge pins (on the Garrard), assuming its a mono cart, you should not get an open circuit, repeat the same with the turntable's leads (at the point where you connect it to your mixer). If it ok, then perfect.

2) Start playing a record on the Garrard without connecting it to the mixer. Place your ear close to the tonearm (near the cartridge) and listen carefully. You should hear faint music from the point where the stylus engages the record grooves. If you hear music and you dont have an open circuit with your cart (at the plug points which go to the mixer), then in all probability, its your cartridge that needs replacement.

1) Everything is ok... no problem here....!:yahoo:
2) if i connect my TT directly to amplifier... i don't get buzz... but... i don't get sound also.... :sad:
2a) i hear music...

if cartridge needs replacement.... what you suggest me????

if you hear sound when placing your ear near the stylus, then your stylus seems in good shape. asking again, have you checked the circuit between the cartridge pins and the plugs that go into your amplifier. if you have and if this is ok, it can either be that your cart does not work with your amp's input or the cart itself is not working. what input on your amp are you connecting the TT to?

if you hear sound when placing your ear near the stylus, then your stylus seems in good shape. asking again, have you checked the circuit between the cartridge pins and the plugs that go into your amplifier. if you have and if this is ok, it can either be that your cart does not work with your amp's input or the cart itself is not working. what input on your amp are you connecting the TT to?

the buzz stop....!!!!! :yahoo:
was cause the TT need grounding to mixer...
I check the circuit between the cartridge pins and the plugs that go into my amplifier... everything is ok... but... i can not listen any sound.... i hear sound when placing my ear near the stylus...

when i plug to my mixer (phono line) i listen any sound from speaker but... very low.... :sad:
...when i plug to my mixer (tape line) i don't listen any sound...:sad:

is it possible TT need pre- amplifier???

My cartridge is the "Garrard GC8 Cartridge"
if i need a new... what do you suggest me?

Last edited:
the buzz stop....!!!!! :yahoo:
was cause the TT need grounding to mixer...
I check the circuit between the cartridge pins and the plugs that go into my amplifier... everything is ok... but... i can not listen any sound.... i hear sound when placing my ear near the stylus...

when i plug to my mixer (phono line) i listen any sound from speaker but... very low.... :sad:
...when i plug to my mixer (tape line) i don't listen any sound...:sad:

is it possible TT need pre- amplifier???

My cartridge is the "Garrard GC8 Cartridge"
if i need a new... what do you suggest me?

Great that the buzz has disappeared. If your SLBD20 TT works with the mixer, this suggests that you have a phonostage in the mixer. Unfortunately your garrard can only take ceramic carts and hence you'll have to get a replacement ceramic cart (if you really have to change it). Before doing so, make sure that the existing one is faulty. From the symptoms, it sounds as though there is a break in your wiring between the TT and the amp. Have you tried with any other amp?

This thread is up and running after a bit. The guy who has my new ceramic cart has got stuck in the United States as the scope of his project has been scaled up (good for our organization). However that would mean I'm going to wait even further. Luckily our great forum came to my rescue and I've been able to purchase a couple of EEI CS2000 stereo ceramic carts and stylii (in pristine condition) from our forum. Awaiting the delivery. Once the package arrives, this project will be up and running again. Have some change in plans and hence did not do the plinth (or box as you may call it). Watch this space in the coming days.

So finally its time get started again. New arrivals:

Shure light weight headshell cartridge bolts and nuts kit (from USA)
Shure headshell lead kit (from USA)
EEI CS2000 Stereo Ceramic Cart with sapphire flip stylus (micro groove & 78)
HMV Stereo Ceramic Cart with sapphire flip stylus (micro groove & 78)

both carts were courtesy one of our FMs. Going to start work on the head shell, tonight. Shall post pics.

sorry about the delay with the pics, will try to post them tonight.

Took a close look at both the carts and finally decided to use the EEI CS2000 as this one is brand new and has its matching sapphire stylus. The HMV ceramic cart is obviously used (salvaged) and does not come with its matching stylus (actually, an EEI stylus has been setup with it and this clearly does not match, so I've decided to remove it and keep it as a spare for the EEI cart).

However, the EEI cart has not been designed for the headshell of the RC210 and infact has been designed for the SP25 headshell. Luckily as part of the shure cartridge screw kit, I also got a mounting plate and this can be put to use.

Finished the cartridge mounting piece last night while listening to Boney M's christmas album. Took about an hour to carefully get the cartridge position and alignment right. Will get some pics up soon. Tonight its time to tackle the headshell leads.

Here's a picture of the items procured for the headshell

in order from top to bottom:

1) light weight aluminum cartridge bolts (Shure/USA)
2) light weight aluminum cartridge washers (Shure/USA)
3) light weight aluminum cartridge nuts (Shure/USA)
4) aluminum cartridge mount bushes (Shure/USA)
5) vintage brass cartridge mount bushes (Garrard/England)
6) weighted cartridge mounting plate 53A2167B (Shure/USA)
7) headshell leads kit (Shure/Mexico)

had the screwdriver with me already

gk9o.jpg

After a long gap, here's a post with pictures. Have been so busy over the last few weeks, hence the delay.

The cartridge was all mounted up in the headshell and calibrated. Here is a picture of the mounted cart with the headshell leads:

xw4b.jpg

The cart was mounted back on the tone arm, and finally we have some action. Here's the RC210, firstly playing a Ventures 78 in manual mode, followed by the RC210 playing 2 78s in auto-changer mode. The turntable is mechanically not fully up to it and needs some calibration. On the contrary to previous owner KAPs' statements about this playing working well and sounding sweet, I am sure it was almost never used for atleast 40+ years. A few of the key springs have stretched and have to be replaced. More on this during the days to follow.

Also note, the Garrard label on the headshell is yet to be fixed on. Thought I'll do that at the very end, just in case I need to calibrate the cartridge position.

kv02.jpg

urr3.jpg

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back