My Home Theater - Denon X1200W with Wharfedale Speakers

vchounal

I have purchased my first Home Theater. Configuration is given below: -

1. AVR - Denon X1200W.
2. Wharfedale Diamond 230 (Floor Standing) Speakers.
3. Wharfedale Diamond 220C Centre Channel Speaker.
4. Wharfedale D-10 Subwoofer.
5. Wharfedale Diamond 10.DFS (Surround) Speakers.

At the moment I have connected only the Diamond 230 (Floor Standing) Speakers with the AVR. I have used inexpensive 1.5 mm2 (16 AWG) cable but I am trying to get 12 AWG Terminated Silverback Speaker Wire by Sewell from US to replace this wiring. I have ordered Sub Woofer cable online which should reach me shortly. As far as surround speakers are concerned, I may either use the same inexpensive 16 AWG wiring to connect them to AVR or may use a wireless speaker kit (from US) to avoid laying cable along the length of my room (there will still be cables between Surround Speakers and wireless speaker kit at the back of room).

I have a query regarding connecting my STB with AVR. My STB has only RCA output and the LG Plasma TV has HDMI (but no ARC) and no Optical out. I can connect the STB to AVR using RCA cable and also connect AVR with TV using HDMI cable. Alternatively, I could get a RCA to HDMI converter and then connect my STB to AVR through this converter. Is there any advantage in using RCA to HDMI converter in this manner?

Hi,

Which STB are you using? Its hard to imagine an STB without a HDMI output at this day and age. You can choose to upgrade it to a HD STB. A HD STB will have HDMI and Coaxial/optical outputs. Another advantage of upgrading to a HD STB is that you can enjoy most of the HD channels in Dolby Digital (5.1 output).

Thanks,
Sam

I have purchased my first Home Theater. Configuration is given below: -

1. AVR - Denon X1200W.
2. Wharfedale Diamond 230 (Floor Standing) Speakers.
3. Wharfedale Diamond 220C Centre Channel Speaker.
4. Wharfedale D-10 Subwoofer.
5. Wharfedale Diamond 10.DFS (Surround) Speakers.

At the moment I have connected only the Diamond 230 (Floor Standing) Speakers with the AVR. I have used inexpensive 1.5 mm2 (16 AWG) cable but I am trying to get 12 AWG Terminated Silverback Speaker Wire by Sewell from US to replace this wiring. I have ordered Sub Woofer cable online which should reach me shortly. As far as surround speakers are concerned, I may either use the same inexpensive 16 AWG wiring to connect them to AVR or may use a wireless speaker kit (from US) to avoid laying cable along the length of my room (there will still be cables between Surround Speakers and wireless speaker kit at the back of room).

I have a query regarding connecting my STB with AVR. My STB has only RCA output and the LG Plasma TV has HDMI (but no ARC) and no Optical out. I can connect the STB to AVR using RCA cable and also connect AVR with TV using HDMI cable. Alternatively, I could get a RCA to HDMI converter and then connect my STB to AVR through this converter. Is there any advantage in using RCA to HDMI converter in this manner?

How is the bass from Wharfedale 230.... Do they need sub for music?

How is the bass from Wharfedale 230.... Do they need sub for music?

It is still early days for me but the speakers sound good. You do not need a sub for music with Diamond 230 speakers. The bass is more than sufficient.

I will connect the sub woofer in a couple of days and then let you know if there is any difference.

Hi,

Which STB are you using? Its hard to imagine an STB without a HDMI output at this day and age. You can choose to upgrade it to a HD STB. A HD STB will have HDMI and Coaxial/optical outputs. Another advantage of upgrading to a HD STB is that you can enjoy most of the HD channels in Dolby Digital (5.1 output).

Thanks,
Sam

Thanks.

I know about HD STB and its HDMI output. However, I have a Citi cable connection in my apartment with no option for HD STB and their current STB has no HDMI output. I am not opting for Dish TV or Tata Sky connection due to some reason. Hence the query.

Where r the pics .... dont you know the customary obligation of sharing pics of any setup one shares ....... mmm?? ...:) ..:D ...kidding Pics will be nice to have though ... :)

HDMI is digital and RCA is analog!
There is no use of converting them back to HDMI. Do you have optical out or Coaxial digital out in your stb? Then use that!

Otherwise, Denon AVR 1200 has line in (media player). Please use that for RCA in. But nothing perfect as HDMI!

I received the subwoofer cable yesterday and connected the subwoofer.

For music, it did not make too much of a difference but was very effective for movie clips that I watched from YouTube.

I have still not connected the Centre Channel Speaker and Surround Speakers. I am getting a new cabinet made and will then connect everything.

I will try to post pics of AVR, Front Speakers and Subwoofer tonight.

Hey, I am also planning a Home Theatre System around Denon AVR X1200W; though my application will be more than 50% of music.
I have been looking to pair Denon 1200W with either Wharfedale 220 or Q acoustics 3020; and a Wharfedale subwoofer. Did you think of Wharf 220 at any time? or you wanted Towers only? I am asking this as I want to appreciate the difference between Wharf 230 and Wharf 220 with Subwoofer.
and please tell me how is Wharf 230 pairing with Denon 1200? Thanks.

Hey, I am also planning a Home Theatre System around Denon AVR X1200W; though my application will be more than 50% of music.
I have been looking to pair Denon 1200W with either Wharfedale 220 or Q acoustics 3020; and a Wharfedale subwoofer. Did you think of Wharf 220 at any time? or you wanted Towers only? I am asking this as I want to appreciate the difference between Wharf 230 and Wharf 220 with Subwoofer.
and please tell me how is Wharf 230 pairing with Denon 1200? Thanks.

I am enjoying and loving my setup, both for music and movies. For music, I usually

I did not consider 220 as I wanted to buy tower speakers only.

or may use a wireless speaker kit (from US) to avoid laying cable along the length of my room (there will still be cables between Surround Speakers and wireless speaker kit at the back of room).

Congratulations on your purchase. Those are renowned components that you have picked. Do post pics once you have it all setup.

In the mean while could you post a link to the wireless product you are contemplating?

Regarding the connections, you dont have much of a choice. Have you already connected the STB to AVR via RCA? Is the Denon passing the video to HDMI? I had to use the Monitor Out for this in my older Denon. You could connect the Video RCA to the TV directly and the Audio Left/Right RCAs to the AVR for audio. The AVR would have to be switched on every time you want to watch TV, even when your kids want to watch Pogo or Cartoon network. No standby Pass through here as that is only for HDMI. You could go this way, only if your setbox is giving out proper 2 channel stereo signal, if not, you would be better off keeping the AVR out of the TV loop altogether.

Thanks.

I know about HD STB and its HDMI output. However, I have a Citi cable connection in my apartment with no option for HD STB and their current STB has no HDMI output. I am not opting for Dish TV or Tata Sky connection due to some reason. Hence the query.

Hope that reason is soon resolved and you pick a connection which provides a HD Source. What is your source otherwise?

MaSh

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back