My home theatre setup - 2-oct-2009 - pyee audio diamond delux amp & 5.1 speaker

It was a frank question and even i don't know the answer.
I have experienced it once.
The source was same (HTPC), the amp was same(Denon 1908), the speakers were same (Jamo C405).

Still when the signals were carried by HDMI cable, it gave a much fuller sound as compared to Optical cable. the music was stereo and the DAC in both cases was Denon AVR. everyone says, for 2 channel audio, co-axial or optical are enough. i don't know why it sounded so different.

Hi Jaudere,
I missed out your second question asking about any outlets of PYEE AUDIO in mumbai.
I will check it out and update you soon.
Thanks
Habeeb

Congrats habeeb. The speakers look cool.

When you were looking out for such a solution which other system did you try in similar budget?

Some years ago i had came across a similar 5.1 thing called "waron" which was sounding quite good for the price.

Thanks, Sentinel.

My actual plan was to build amp and speakers from scratch with tri-amping and active cross over in mind. I had good design/ideas and enough resources aligned
to fulfill the project. But later dropped due to the time and effort required to coordinate, standing on my constraints.
In BTW , I came across PYEE and landed on its high end product due to SQ level, look and feel and VFM.

From this forum, i came to read about audiocraft in Chennai. Did you try that?

Thanks
Habeeb

Habeeb, some query - Does this AMP have inbuilt Dolby, DTS decoding; I mean the SPDIF/Optical input and natively decode them?

Should ask this to Mr Mahadevan but thgt will ask you first.:eek:

How much height is the floor stander?

My room is roughly 250 square feet. Will this be an overkill with bass etc How big is ur room used for this?

The website does not mention any, so....

I had a chat with Mr. MARK at Audiocraft, he asked to visit after 2 weeks. Need to call Mr. MAHADEVAN again and plan a visit.

Habeeb, some query - Does this AMP have inbuilt Dolby, DTS decoding; I mean the SPDIF/Optical input and natively decode them?

My room is roughly 250 square feet. Will this be an overkill with bass etc How big is ur room used for this?

I had a chat with Mr. MARK at Audiocraft, he asked to visit after 2 weeks. Need to call Mr. MAHADEVAN again and plan a visit.

Even I am planning to visit to check out their powered sub woofer.:)

Hi iaudio,
I am sorry that i had given a false information that the sub which i has is active. It is passive and is driven by the amp box.
The amp has another extra sub out to plug in another active sub.

I had heard from Mahadevan that they sell active sub of fair power for around 6K.

Thanks
Habeeb

Hi iaudio,
I am sorry that i had given a false information that the sub which i has is active. It is passive and is driven by the amp box.
The amp has another extra sub out to plug in another active sub.

I had heard from Mahadevan that they sell active sub of fair power for around 6K.

Thanks
Habeeb

Habeeb, thats alright. I had checked the product list and couldnt come across any active sub, thats why I asked you.
Thanks for the info on the active sub for 6k, I will check it out.

Btw, what sort of media/player do they have in their audition room?

Last edited:

The amp does not have decoding capabilities.

My DVDP had DD and DTS decoding capabilities and out 6 analog channels and feeding the Amp.

The floor stander height - 3.75 feet.

My living room is around 175 sf. In my environment the bass does not over kill the SQ. Moreover amp gives better control over bass and treble.

Last edited:
It was a frank question and even i don't know the answer.
I have experienced it once.
The source was same (HTPC), the amp was same(Denon 1908), the speakers were same (Jamo C405).

Still when the signals were carried by HDMI cable, it gave a much fuller sound as compared to Optical cable. the music was stereo and the DAC in both cases was Denon AVR. everyone says, for 2 channel audio, co-axial or optical are enough. i don't know why it sounded so different.

Hi jaudere

we can create .ac3 files from 24 bit 48KHz PCM(WAV)s.

INFO: in compressed audio formats, bit depth does not have significance and only the bit rate matter.

The procedure , i followed (only 2 channel is used).

Create .wav(PCM) stereo file (24 bit 48KHz). Tool i used is noise.exe

Please visit AC3Filter tools | AC3Filter

noise 10000 -w noiseLR48Khz24Bit.wav -fmt:1 -seed:666

I used Cirlinca HD-Audio Remaster 2.0 to convert the wav to ac3 with bit rate as 448kbps.

This ac3 can be embed into a dvd-video container like vob/avi etc , write on a dvd disk and play on a dvd player.

Thanks
Habeeb

Habeeb, thats alright. I had checked the product list and couldnt come across any active sub, thats why I asked you.
Thanks for the info on the active sub for 6k, I will check it out.

Btw, what sort of media/player do they have in their audition room?

They have an ONIDA DVDP (No flash drive support). I hope, they can arrange DVDP with flash support if informed well ahead of time.

It is better, if we could carry some HQ audio (MP3 - 320 kbps, CDA - 44.1khz 16 bit)

Also please keep good DTS and DD DVD.

Thanks
Habeeb

Hi All,
I was doing some R&D on how to play HD audio over my recently purchased Philips DVDP 3388/94. The DVDP claims that it has 192Khz, 24 Bit DAC.

My test was to check whether this player can play HD audio of 24 bit 92KHZ PCM (2 channel).

Procedure.

1.Download some 24 bit 94 Khz studio master pcm(wav) file.
I downloaded W.A.Mozart: Violin concerto in D major (KV 218) - Allegro
Marianne Thorsen / TrondheimSolistene / yvind Gimse
from High Resolution Music DOWNLOAD services
24 bit 96khz stereo wav.
2. I cannot write this file as ACD as ACD support 44.1 KHz 16 bit only.
But i can do it as part of DVD-Video. Since my DVDP's DAC support upto 24 bit 192Khz, i should be able to play it as part of DVD video.
3. Using LPLEX i multiplexed the 24 bit 96Khz stereo wav into a black screen pal format video and saved on a VOB container. The lplex returned two folders
AUDIO_TS - no file
VIDEO_TS - the vob file - black screen pal video and 24 bit 96khz stereo pcm audio muxed together.
some other files like .bup .ifo etc.

4. I had written those folders into a DVD disc.

I played this DVD on my DVDP and happy that i am able to play the vob file.

Result is that i am able to play HD audio on my DVD player.

Thanks
Habeeb

I am new member and I have been around for few days now............ for some education on Hifi and for some help from members when needed.

I was just taken aback by the cost involved in setting up a good home theatre system......(frankly)............ after going through many of the threads.

There was a sigh of relief when I saw this one. At last with 30k one can have one.

Thank you 'habeeb1974' for sharing this with us.

.....but at the same time I am skeptical :sad:............. where this product stands compared to good quality products like Polk, KEF, Mission etc? Anyone can imagine that these are inferior off course...... but how much?

If some senior/experienced members of this form in or around Kochi could go for an audition at 'P yee Audio' (funny name) and find out, that would be a great help.

Thank you!

.....but at the same time I am skeptical :sad:............. where this product stands compared to good quality products like Polk, KEF, Mission etc? Anyone can imagine that these are inferior off course...... but how much?

If some senior/experienced members of this form in or around Kochi could go for an audition at 'P yee Audio' (funny name) and find out, that would be a great help.

Thank you!

hello,

friend, i hope you are going to buy audio equipment to satisfy yourself rather than a group of people. so listen to the set up and get it if you like it. Brand names mean nothing. branded equipment will always have great looks but the same cannot be said about the audio quality. a costly (costing few lacs of rupees) may fail to satisfy a person where a speaker worth Rs 10000 may do the trick. but yes! do audition as many speakers as you can before you settle on a product.

Will anybody spend lakhs of rupees just for the brand-name?

a costly (costing few lacs of rupees) may fail to satisfy a person where a speaker worth Rs 10000 may do the trick.

I doubt it. If that is true, will they be able to sell their products for for lakhs of rupees? Will anybody buy it just for the band-name?

I requested it, as for an experienced person it will be easy to understand the difference. And I don't have the facility to audition a lot.

(I am very glad that you responded to my query. Thank you!)

Re: Will anybody spend lakhs of rupees just for the brand-name?

I doubt it. If that is true, will they be able to sell their products for for lakhs of rupees? Will anybody buy it just for the band-name?

I requested it, as for an experienced person it will be easy to understand the difference. And I don't have the facility to audition a lot.

(I am very glad that you responded to my query. Thank you!)

Narain, I think what Jaudere is trying to tell is that, more than pricing, each product has its own unique characteristics and what may appeal to you might be that present in a 10k system rather than a 100k system.:)

Where can I go for Audition in and arond Kochi?

I got the point. Thank you Iaudio.:)

Between, will you tell me where can I go for Audition in Kerala, preferably in and around Kochi? (or is there a thread in this forum for this? I couldn't find one yet!)

Re: Where can I go for Audition in and arond Kochi?

I got the point. Thank you Iaudio.:)

Between, will you tell me where can I go for Audition in Kerala, preferably in and around Kochi? (or is there a thread in this forum for this? I couldn't find one yet!)

Oh I see you are from Kottayam! My hometown.
As for auditions, no sweat, you can go to:
1. Hi fi links, Kaloor
2. Decibels, Opp Avenue regent, mg road
3. Onkyo dealer, i cant recall the details now

Its not like there are too many options here but still its a start. Sorry for the OT.
Pm me if you want any help regarding audition, location.
What are you planning to buy?

Narain, I think what Jaudere is trying to tell is that, more than pricing, each product has its own unique characteristics and what may appeal to you might be that present in a 10k system rather than a 100k system.:)

Thanks iaudio for clarifying my point. i have actually seen people being unhappy with Jamo R909 (about 7.5 Lacs).

>>> this world is full of people believing in status symbol. they will buy a system without understanding the difference between stereo, 2.1 and5.1. they will play 5.1 content in stereo mode and do very odd things. they will rate a good stereo amplifier lower than entry level AVR just because it has better looks and an LCD display. some companies sell their products for lacs because they are worth it while others sell their products at that price because they are better in marketing than production.

Last edited:

Thanks iaudio for clarifying my point. i have actually seen people being unhappy with Jamo R909 (about 7.5 Lacs).

>>> this world is full of people believing in status symbol. they will buy a system without understanding the difference between stereo, 2.1 and5.1. they will play 5.1 content in stereo mode and do very odd things. they will rate a good stereo amplifier lower than entry level AVR just because it has better looks and an LCD display. some companies sell their products for lacs because they are worth it while others sell their products at that price because they are better in marketing than production.

+1 to that!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back