My Home Theatre Setup

Ok, here's a quick update:
It's been fairly 2 months since I bought them home. The burn-ins are over. The speakers have performed very well so far.
I have mostly been listening to DTS (not master Audio) content, via DVD Player optical and WD TV Live HDMI.
These speakers are great for surround sound, be it movies or music. Infact the rear speakers are rather good. The LFE effects are also nice, but they dont shake my room or break any window panes. But they do produce a thump in the chest, fair enough. The fronts are nice, primarily because they are fairly separated from each other, and at the 'equilateral triangle' position. The bass seems to come from the centre and not from the sides. So all is good. Watch a lot of concerts, and movies, and I have to say Im fairly satisfied.
Some of the stuff that were amazing were:
1. Dabangg at 720p, DTS: Very surprising for a hindi movie, but the effects are amazing, including the songs.
2. AC/DC Live at Donnigton, DTS, 720p. Amazing concert, great recording.
And there were zillions of other content.

Then I had the urge to expand my system to a 7.1 by adding to floorstanders as fronts, which i can use for stereo music too. So I audition the Sonodyne Sonus 2605. The sound was pretty good. They quoted 26ks/pair, later I found out they were sold for 11.2 ks/pair. correct me if Im wrong.
To check my speakers fronts, I recently listened to some DVD and CD audio in stereo (with subs), and I was surprised how well the fronts performed (even without sub in 'Pure Audio ' mode). They were better on clarity than the sonodynes. Had a nice bass too (with subs). May be it was because of the difference in content.
The Sonodyne ppl played some Female vocal, which was very clear, but the instruments were bland.
I played "Black Sabbath-Paranoid- Classic Albums- BluRay Rip' via WD TV Live. Tony Iommi played some face-melting guitar and speakers and the subs were totally up for it. I was totally impressed by the fronts+sub. But then again Im yet to audition some of the well-known fs from major brands. Maybe the wooden make of the onkyo speakers makes it distinct from 'HTIB speakers'. People totally dismiss Onkyo speakers, but you should audition these atleast once.
Anyways, I will soon be on a quest for 2 floorstanders to complete the 7.1 setup. I will have a budget of about 20ks, and soon be auditioning some Polks, Wharfs etc. I have around 6 months time before I buy, so Ill be hoping to learn a lot of new things during this time. Looking around and auditioning is so much fun. I'll also be enjoying these Onkyos to the fullest, as these are pretty mean speakers...
Cheers!!!

Great Setup.

For now dont worry on the 7.1 too much as most BD's are still in 5.1.

Do buy some original BD's and play them esp. Dire Straits Alchemy live the audio is really great.

Great Setup.

For now dont worry on the 7.1 too much as most BD's are still in 5.1.

Do buy some original BD's and play them esp. Dire Straits Alchemy live the audio is really great.

Ya, I have listened to the Alchemy BD Rip on Stereo. It's superb.
Im planning a 7.1 with a BD Player, as I'm yet to try out DTS-HD MA on my set-up. So, a BD player is a must.

Ok, here's a quick update:
It's been fairly 2 months since I bought them home. The burn-ins are over. The speakers have performed very well so far.
I have mostly been listening to DTS (not master Audio) content, via DVD Player optical and WD TV Live HDMI.
These speakers are great for surround sound, be it movies or music. Infact the rear speakers are rather good. The LFE effects are also nice, but they dont shake my room or break any window panes. But they do produce a thump in the chest, fair enough. The fronts are nice, primarily because they are fairly separated from each other, and at the 'equilateral triangle' position. The bass seems to come from the centre and not from the sides. So all is good. Watch a lot of concerts, and movies, and I have to say Im fairly satisfied.
Some of the stuff that were amazing were:
1. Dabangg at 720p, DTS: Very surprising for a hindi movie, but the effects are amazing, including the songs.
2. AC/DC Live at Donnigton, DTS, 720p. Amazing concert, great recording.
And there were zillions of other content.

Then I had the urge to expand my system to a 7.1 by adding to floorstanders as fronts, which i can use for stereo music too. So I audition the Sonodyne Sonus 2605. The sound was pretty good. They quoted 26ks/pair, later I found out they were sold for 11.2 ks/pair. correct me if Im wrong.
To check my speakers fronts, I recently listened to some DVD and CD audio in stereo (with subs), and I was surprised how well the fronts performed (even without sub in 'Pure Audio ' mode). They were better on clarity than the sonodynes. Had a nice bass too (with subs). May be it was because of the difference in content.
The Sonodyne ppl played some Female vocal, which was very clear, but the instruments were bland.
I played "Black Sabbath-Paranoid- Classic Albums- BluRay Rip' via WD TV Live. Tony Iommi played some face-melting guitar and speakers and the subs were totally up for it. I was totally impressed by the fronts+sub. But then again Im yet to audition some of the well-known fs from major brands. Maybe the wooden make of the onkyo speakers makes it distinct from 'HTIB speakers'. People totally dismiss Onkyo speakers, but you should audition these atleast once.
Anyways, I will soon be on a quest for 2 floorstanders to complete the 7.1 setup. I will have a budget of about 20ks, and soon be auditioning some Polks, Wharfs etc. I have around 6 months time before I buy, so Ill be hoping to learn a lot of new things during this time. Looking around and auditioning is so much fun. I'll also be enjoying these Onkyos to the fullest, as these are pretty mean speakers...
Cheers!!!

Sonodyne 2605 V2 sells for 26K a pair. You may get a discount of 10% and the final price might be 24K. My friend recently bought that so i can assure you that you cant find the price below 24K. Even i have come across the price of 11,200 for a speaker BTW on AV Max magazine, But the cost is for s single speaker & not a pair. Even on this month AV Max magazine, on a stereo setup, they had mentioned Norge 2000 + Sonodyne 2605 V2. There they quoted the price as 11,200 for a pair. Thatz a blunder mistake.

Sonodyne 2605 V2 sells for 26K a pair. You may get a discount of 10% and the final price might be 24K. My friend recently bought that so i can assure you that you cant find the price below 24K. Even i have come across the price of 11,200 for a speaker BTW on AV Max magazine, But the cost is for s single speaker & not a pair. Even on this month AV Max magazine, on a stereo setup, they had mentioned Norge 2000 + Sonodyne 2605 V2. There they quoted the price as 11,200 for a pair. Thatz a blunder mistake.

Exactly, even I read it from this months AV Max.

Then I had the urge to expand my system to a 7.1 by adding to floorstanders as fronts, which i can use for stereo music too.

Anyways, I will soon be on a quest for 2 floorstanders to complete the 7.1 setup.

You already have two existing towers at the front, where will you place them when you buy two new towers again? at the rear? and then the rear ones at the center?

I have one more thing to ask, does the onkyo run very hot as some of the reviews said?

Moreover I see that the max power of ONKYO is 150W per channel, however the max power the HT728 can handle is rated as 130W.. will there not be a chance of accidental damage of the speakers if you increase your volume on the higher side?

Last edited:
Similar story. I called Lakozy and asked them the price of the Def Tech ProCinema 600. They said 47k. That's the price AV MAX has quoted for ProCinema 800!! The 600 is priced at 34,100 in the mag!!

I think even the audio systems have become like cars with the ex-showroom price and onroad price :D. Ideally, the street price should be less than the mag quoted price.

I believe that's the MRP.
Considering its 32 Ks, and the Onkyo AVR-508 was 25ks at that time, it comes to 57ks, and I got it for 42.5 ks... woohoo.. What a deal!!!

I tried bargaining like the deal you mentioned and dealer was about to hit me with a banana plug..:mad:. When are you coming to bglr I need to make few purchases ? can use your help to bargain :D .

You already have two existing towers at the front, where will you place them when you buy two new towers again? at the rear? and then the rear ones at the center?

I was think that these towers will be rear, the existing rears will be rear back, and Ill have new towers as fronts. Just a thought though, and right now its far off. A blu ray player is something Ill look for in the recent future.

I have one more thing to ask, does the onkyo run very hot as some of the reviews said?

Yes they do, its mentioned in the manual tht they might run hot, and its only normal. Nothing alarming so far.

Moreover I see that the max power of ONKYO is 150W per channel, however the max power the HT728 can handle is rated as 130W.. will there not be a chance of accidental damage of the speakers if you increase your volume on the higher side?

I dont know abt this one, may be the experts here can answer. So far I have stretched the volume upto 62 out of 70(max), with good results...

something no one would believe is that i got same set up like u ( ps2, lg and 1tb....) i had planned for 508+tall boy last month , but had postponed due to my health reasons... will be buying it shortly.. i had fixed the price as 45, with a hdmi and coax free. .. i got big tv hddvr... what about you?

Hi,

Would you still recommend the 508+728 package or is there something better in the same price range?

Usage will be about 50% music (rock, pop,hindi) + 50% movies.

Thanks.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back