My HT: Klipsch Quintet 5.0+Polk Audio PSW110+Yamaha RXV 473

bpranay

Folks,

I am glad to share that finally I have completed my HT setup with Klipsch Quintet Satellites 5.0 and Polk Audio PSW 110 as my sub attached to my Yamaha RXV 473 AVR.

I got the quintets from US for $250, carried them in my checked in luggage, bought PSW110 through paytm for Rs.18,000/- and got Rs.5000/- cash back from them (effective cost Rs.13,000/-) Quite a deal!!! wires from amazon.com ( amazon basics 16 gauge 30 meters for $9, good quality, again carried it from US)

I was already using my RXV 473 with my old Sony 5.1 bookshelf speakers. The passive sub of which was converted to active.

So wanted a system upgrade basically.

Put on the first brrip of 4GB approx of MI5 which was DTS encoded. The fronts and surrounds were managing the pace well and were quite agile. The sub was churning out the deep and tight bass enough to shake my small room. Overall the sound quality was really very good. The bass didn't seem to be boomy.

Next day the second brrip we had put was PRDP on my family's demand.:eek:
Anyways the movie was handled so well by the speakers, especially centre channel, i had to increase it's level by +2 more than the rest of the speakers. But the sound quality was very crisp, clear and without any distortion.

I am yet to achieve their break in time so the full potential of the speakers will be evaluated by the time they are properly used for approx 40 hours as recommended by manufactures.

Music: Caution- Any requirement of music listening above 30% should be met with bookshelves and above.

Now coming to the music which bit disappointed me. As I was using my old Sony bookshelf speakers and had my old sub disconnected, I never felt the need of sub while playing music. The music was very much lively with my old Sony speakers since they are bookshelves. It's only when I switched on the sub with my current klipsch that music became lively and enjoying but still no comparison to bookshelves. Lot of people in the forum advised me to go for BS but since I was already using BS and thought of saving some space that I went for satellites. So will try to upgrade them to bookshelf in some years time as can not go back to Sony BS coz while upgrading from Sony to klipsch, i had to convince my wife how Sony is crap and klipsch are much better.

But would say with movie the overall experience is excellent.
For movie: 9/10
Music: 5/10

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 132
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 132
  • image4.jpg
    image4.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 132
  • image5.jpg
    image5.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 130
  • image6.jpg
    image6.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Hi

Congrats on the setup.....allow the speakers to burn in (play for 20 -40 hours) to get synch with the AVR.....they will perform to their optimal delivery in due course...for this use the AVR atleast 1-2 hours everyday...more hours the better, play music which has all types of frequencies which would help in opening up the potential of these speakers....they work well for music....

Tweak with the Bass + Treble settings of the AVR, if it has an EQ, try adjusting the frequencies.......patience is a virtue......do things step by step....dont rush!

Hi

Congrats on the setup.....allow the speakers to burn in (play for 20 -40 hours) to get synch with the AVR.....they will perform to their optimal delivery in due course...for this use the AVR atleast 1-2 hours everyday...more hours the better, play music which has all types of frequencies which would help in opening up the potential of these speakers....they work well for music....

Tweak with the Bass + Treble settings of the AVR, if it has an EQ, try adjusting the frequencies.......patience is a virtue......do things step by step....dont rush!

Thanks for your suggestions.....I have EQ settings in AVR, will try to tweak them..ran the YPAO mic as well..only problem is I have connected my Airtel HD DTH to LED and LED to AVR via hdmi but even though i don't seem to get dolby sound from my dth. please guide me how do i make connections?

Hi,

Ideally the AVR should be the hub of all connections for media devices...so..the Airtel DTH hdmi should go to the AVR first....then another hdmi cable should go from the avr (monitor out arc) to the LED tv.....make sure that the avr setting for hdmi is set to pass thru....

If the HD content is indeed true DD or 5.1, it will light up on the avr display and you will hear the effects...all the best!

Thanks for your suggestions.....I have EQ settings in AVR, will try to tweak them..ran the YPAO mic as well..only problem is I have connected my Airtel HD DTH to LED and LED to AVR via hdmi but even though i don't seem to get dolby sound from my dth. please guide me how do i make connections?

Congrats for the new speakers.
HDMI(ARC) will not carry Dolby digital.

This connection will give Dolby digital from STB.

STB to TV via HDMI
STB to AVR via Coaxial.

Klipsch generally considered to be bright sounding and how do you feel the Yamaha + Klipsch sound signature.

Viper08

Yes, the cables are hidden at the edges of all, had to waste some cable for that clean look.

sunilkm

The sound seems to be quite neutral for me but untill and unless they are burned in properly, it is hard to tell. will update this thread in next 15 days.

Last edited:
I got a problem here. I want to mount my klipsch quintet center speaker to the wall. I have finalized jenefas wall mount from amazon (link : http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00..._rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=817657507&pf_rd_i=desktop)

Only problem is jenefas says it is 5mm wall mount and the specification on amazon.com about the center speaker says it has -inch-20 threaded insert. Now I do not know what is -inch-20 threaded insert. Can anyone please advise whether it is compatible with the wall mount or not?

Back