My Interesting little story :)

Akshit2111

Dear All

So this journey pretty much started with a casual demo of a htib worth Rs 32k and being blown away ! some 1.5 years ago i remember bargaining with the dealer. Intrigued by this new found passion i started venturing into home audio a little bit. My sweet uncle while on a trip to canada agreed to bring an amplifier for me ( HE HAD NO IDEA ABOUT THE WEIGHT or DIMENSIONS or ANYTHING AND FRANKLY NEITHER DID I). Got an amazing deal on pioneer VSX-831. It was a company refurb model. Exchanged a few mails with the amazon seller assured myself, confirmed with pioneer canada and did all the check required.
I remember my uncle telling me that they had all started making calls to amazon when the item was delivered thinking that they never ordered this huge package and maybe it was delivered by mistake. My Uncle had no idea that ill be this big and ill be this naive of asking him to get such a huge box all the way from Canada :D.

Somehow he agreed on this condition that shipping or anything at customs will be my responsibility. I assured him about the Customs thinking that the value is below 50k but after some detailed reading i found out that the limit is not applicable if the custom ppl find out that the model is refurbished. I have no logical explanation behind this but reading this my heart skipped a beat. I think i was saving some 15k on this AVR that too without bill price.

following this started looking for a step down in india but then again prices there were quite compelling so ended up ordering one from Canada. And for this uncle straightaway refused as there were weight issues now!. So to my surprise returns are not that easy there and also they are your responsibility! embarrassed about asking them to return my package i decided to put an innocent mail to Amazon Canada. A wonderful gesture by them that they asked me to keep the product and refunded me the entire amount! This was such a sweet gesture ! :)

The night came Uncle landed passed customs no hassle :p . Even after asking about the package they did not bother him. The first time i saw the package i literally could not believe that i had taken such a big favor. ( The bag was huge like the height was much more than normal boxes what we get here!) I always tell my uncle that you are the reason i have a little home theatre..

Convinced that i had sorted this AVR thing began my hunt for speakers. Since 25 to 30k is all i had budgeted for for some casual music listening i never knew that this is a different territory all together. After starting my speaker journey i realized that within my budget i would only get some ugly looking second hand speakers. My birthday being round the corner my sweet fiance decided to contribute to this new found passion and seriously i could not have asked for a better birthday gift!! Its all coz of her that i stand where i am today. The complete credit goes to her! Ever since then i have not even taken a single demo without her. Even if i have taken one or two then buying without her approval was never an option. Till date even if she gets bored she knows that i wont buy anything without her ears approval :p We often cherish those carefree demo days where we used to spend quality time taking demos and enjoying our little time together.

I dont know how i even came to know about POLK Audio RTi series but ever since i laid my eyes on them or first heard them i decided that i am going to get these! Hence started looking for good prices in and around my area. Imagine how fortunate i have been in this whole journey that the guy who quoted me the best price turned out to be my uncle's friend and gave me a good discount on the already quoted fantastic price! Imagine getting brand new speakers even below the second hand price.
Carried my AVR demoed few speakers and got RTI A7's!
Since i was already way out of my league i decided that i'll slowly and steadily build this sytem. Now i realize how stupid i was to think that way coz i very well how hard this upgrade bug hits!

I never knew sound can be so fascinating and so complex as a subject that there are forums helping people find their audio nirvana! I am surprised by the level of knowledge ppl have and commend their passion!

I know i have made blunders in my little jouney( my threads are a proof) but i have learnt and thats all that matters. I thank everyone who has contributed in this little journey and will be forever grateful for your support :)

"If you don't know where you make your mistakes, that's your worst mistake: not knowing where your mistakes are at"

thanks
Akshit Kapoor

Last edited:
Cheers mate.
Many of us have gone through such mistakes.
We share and learn (and sometimes argue about cables and other silly stuff)

Welcome to the asylum :)
- Raghu

It's what everybody goes through when starting out. Maturity comes only after one has tried and failed. I always compare it to food. One has to try all kinds and not have any bias 'before' one tastes it. There are surprises on every corner in this field. Snake oil, new technologies and aggressive false marketing are all active in this field and a lot of people fall for it. The trick is to navigate and find what works best for you. Patience and tenacity, open to trying things is the key.
Now to get that room singing should be everyone's priority once the gear is somewhat settled. Find that sound that 'you' are looking for. And thanks for sharing the experience. Good luck.

Cheers mate.
Many of us have gone through such mistakes.
We share and learn (and sometimes argue about cables and other silly stuff)

Welcome to the asylum :)
- Raghu
hahahha true :)

It's what everybody goes through when starting out. Maturity comes only after one has tried and failed. I always compare it to food. One has to try all kinds and not have any bias 'before' one tastes it. There are surprises on every corner in this field. Snake oil, new technologies and aggressive false marketing are all active in this field and a lot of people fall for it. The trick is to navigate and find what works best for you. Patience and tenacity, open to trying things is the key.
Now to get that room singing should be everyone's priority once the gear is somewhat settled. Find that sound that 'you' are looking for. And thanks for sharing the experience. Good luck.
Thanks tuff :)

hey, i liked the aspect of your lady stepping in, its quite hard to find someone like that these days. Stay blessed.
There is no perfect journey in the world of AV or Hi-Fi. One can enjoy one's self with watching a movie on a PC screen or on a fabulous HT setup. One can spend tonnes on or source rare hi-fi equipment and have loads of bragging rights, on the other hand, one can listen to music on one's mobile. The medium or the equipment never matters, its always about the enjoyment and thrill associated with it. And if the experience can be a sharing one with family and loved ones, nothing like it :)

Hi Akshit
...really loved going through your thread. Especially loved your fiance understanding and accepting your new love . You are one lucky bloke :)

Your journey so far has indeed been exciting, and seems to be some divine intervention to get you that pioneer AVR :D

Really really happy for you....enjoy your new found sound and fondly wishing you a great and love filled life ahead with your fiance :)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back