My latest build - the Elekit TU879S

Hey congrats Rahul. I hope to drop by during my next visit to Bangalore.

BTW what happened to the wooden blocks. I'm sure the nearby chicken shop wala would've lapped them up.;)

Let us try and go together Capt.

Good one Captain. ROTFLMAO :D

Grrr :mad: I think I will play the butcher next time you visit :eek:hyeah:

The wooden blocks are not interior decoration items ... :)

--G

Gobble not sure how I missed out on this thread - good write up would love to listen to your set up some day

Gobble not sure how I missed out on this thread - good write up would love to listen to your set up some day

Welcome anytime. Are you in Bengaluru?

Good read. I have a sub out on my DAC so that I can use it without worrying about what amp(+pre) combo I use.

Hey George,
I thought most sub-outs need a pre-out level signal. Is 1 - 2volts of a CDP/DAC good enough for a sub input?

--G

Some poor quality pics from my cell
20120822143351.jpg
20120822143436.jpg
20120822142743.jpg

-G0bble

HAW

I found your thread Gobble! And, we share the same name (Rahul) as millions of others :mad:

Are those fostex 16x / 6.5" drivers or 20x / 8" ?

I am totally jelly of your stands. I had this idea last year but it was not a practical solution for my listening room. When / if I ever have to be in a room like that I am TOTALLY getting stone stands like that. I'm glad you didn't get the typical stands everyone else gets.

Your setup looks very homely and "peaceful" :) mines like nerdhq :lol:

Last edited:
It is the 6.3" driver ...
Yep, the stone stands look fab! If ever I am able to bring down the Sony's (currently on top of a wooden almirah) ... I would copy this idea ...

HAW

I found your thread Gobble! And, we share the same name (Rahul) as millions of others :mad:

Are those fostex 16x / 6.5" drivers or 20x / 8" ?

I am totally jelly of your stands. I had this idea last year but it was not a practical solution for my listening room. When / if I ever have to be in a room like that I am TOTALLY getting stone stands like that. I'm glad you didn't get the typical stands everyone else gets.

Your setup looks very homely and "peaceful" :) mines like nerdhq :lol:

Hey namesake
Yep its the fe166e 6.5" driver. It looks peaceful? Maybe coz the dust that has settled over weeks has been left undisturbed ...? :rolleyes:

But thanx anyways makes me feel better about my shabbily kept place :)

It is the 6.3" driver ...
Yep, the stone stands look fab! If ever I am able to bring down the Sony's (currently on top of a wooden almirah) ... I would copy this idea ...

Yeah you could make a beautiful Apsara figurine in traditional stone sculpture and balance your speakers on her cones ... :eek:hyeah:

Here is my latest audiophile tweak. Some people on other nerdy audiophile forums open their source cdp and put sandbags on the oscillator/clocks, dampmats inside the chassis etc ... this one works magic .. makes its presence felt nicely ... the low frequency purrs are real and life like .. :eek:hyeah: ;)

Pitfall is that the tweak has a mind of its own. I can't use it whenever I please :lol:

20121009143809.jpg
20121009143737.jpg

--G0bble

Last edited:
As a die hard Cat lover, I love this! But I'd be scared witless of the effects of cat-fur getting into the player. As much as I love them, my cats don't get to enter the music room. :D

As a die hard Cat lover, I love this! But I'd be scared witless of the effects of cat-fur getting into the player. As much as I love them, my cats don't get to enter the music room. :D

Nothing that a Philips miniVac can't handle if it comes to that Philips FC6130 Handheld Vacuum Cleaner

Its HEPA certified and powerfull as hell when used without the attachment nozzle. My coolest purchase to date.

wow I didnt think there were other cat fans on here :D That's a beautiful shorthair tabby you have there :D

Thank you. she walked in about 18 months back and it took me about a year to win her over. Today I am her favorite furniture, sofa and lazyboy recliner rolled into one. :)

--G0bble

Here is my latest audiophile tweak. Some people on other nerdy audiophile forums open their source cdp and put sandbags on the oscillator/clocks, dampmats inside the chassis etc ... this one works magic .. makes its presence felt nicely ... the low frequency purrs are real and life like .. :eek:hyeah: ;)

Pitfall is that the tweak has a mind of its own. I can't use it whenever I please :lol:

20121009143809.jpg

--G0bble

LOL! :clapping::clapping::clapping:

You are giving your system a CAT Scan!

Nothing that a Philips miniVac can't handle if it comes to that Philips FC6130 Handheld Vacuum Cleaner

Its HEPA certified and powerfull as hell when used without the attachment nozzle. My coolest purchase to date.

Thank you. she walked in about 18 months back and it took me about a year to win her over. Today I am her favorite furniture, sofa and lazyboy recliner rolled into one. :)

--G0bble
i am not a cat or dog person. but we do have a cat and a dog at home. regarding their animal nature i have to agree with the wag who quipped that 'while you own the dog, with the cat it's the other way round'...

Also considering cats have more sensitive hearing than humans, think of it as your cat has approved your upgrade/s and you are on the right path :)
'while you own the dog, with the cat it's the other way round'...
That means cats are smarter.
But have Always admired dogs. George the Jack Russell dies saving kids - World - smh.com.au
Regards

Oh, good! Thanks for the link. I've been on the fence about getting a handheld vac for sometime now. I think I'll seriously consider this one.

i am not a cat or dog person. but we do have a cat and a dog at home. regarding their animal nature i have to agree with the wag who quipped that 'while you own the dog, with the cat it's the other way round'...

one related question I've always had is that - Is it dogs that look like their owners or is it owners that look like their dogs? :D :eek:hyeah:

Oh, good! Thanks for the link. I've been on the fence about getting a handheld vac for sometime now. I think I'll seriously consider this one.

Yeah I really like this one!

--G

Hi Gobble,

Just came across this thread. A few comments:

1) Unlike cats, you have to walk dogs daily !!

2) ALL of your posted tube testing and tube decisions are inappropriate and probably very much BOGUS !!!

WHY ?

A) It takes a bare MINIMUM of 75 to 100 hours of playing time, in the circuit, to properly break in any tube, and get a decent idea of what it can do.

No early initial judgement or impression is seldom valid....... at all !!!!! ....... The opposite of valid is bogus, is it not ??

B ) If the tube happens to be " NOS ", additional "extra" care MUST be applied, to get full performance.

A vintage NOS tube, unused for 30 to 60 years, needs to be REACTIVATED, or YOU will instantly degrade it permanently, during your FIRST few minutes of any " unthinking " turn on !!!

( It would be good to do this same proceedure, ......reactivation with brand new tubes, for a couple of hours, filament activation ONLY.)

You carefully break in a NOS tube, by applying the Filament voltage ONLY. Do this gradually, with a variac ..... and NO B+ at all - on the tube's plate. Sometimes you can remove the tube rectifiers to do this. IE, you MUST re-form the tube's Filament and cathode sleeve assembly ....fully, slowly, over several HOURS OF TIME. With NOS, your tube has been dormant.......... sometimes for several decades !!

So HOW do "I" break in a tube after the filament and it's cathode has been nicely reactivated ???

Easy, and silently.

I get a cheap ( Magnavox, etc ) used CD player , from a pawn shop, etc, one that has a REPEAT function on the front. I get a 10 to 20 Watt wirewound power resistor, in a 8 to 16 Ohm range and attach to amp's speaker output posts / or speaker terminals. Play the Amp / CD player / Resistor load ( no speaker hooked up !! ) combo, continuously for 3 or more days, on " REPEAT ". The power resistors are loading the Output transformers ( a proper load is being provided, which is a must for the operating the voltage - activated Output transformer. ).

Three to four days, and all silently - MULTIPLE shut down and full cool-off cycles, are best, not just running amp continuously with no thermal cycling !!!

3) There is one additional "low hanging fruit" that many audiophiles are mentally unaware of optimizing.

When you hear a tube stage, you are not just hearing the tube, the circuit, and coupling cap. YOU also very much hear the tube's PLATE and Cathode resistors !! Also, any " in - series" resistors, are audible, as they are interrupting the circuit.

Products such as a Elekit are built to a price point.

IF you can identify these key resistor positions and replace / upgrade them with ( same Ohmic value ) but PROVEN to be great sounding / and also cost-effective resistors,............... you can easily gain additional listening performance and listening pleasure, continuously and permanently !!!

Don't know which resistors to upgrade? That is OK.

HFV PM me, and let us exchange personal email addresses. Send me the Elekit Schematic and Parts list, and I will gladly guide you, for free, as to which , and what specifically to substitute.

You will be fully amazed, go bonkers initially, and more-so also after ten to thirty hours of break in time.

Have fun, I do !!

Jeff

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back