My New Audio Setup - Phase I

Vijay_s

It was a month of sale; sold almost every component in home entertainment ecosystem except Pioner DVD player & TV.
1. Onkyo 3300 HT
2. NAD 326C BEE
3. PSB B6
4. WDTV Live Hub
5. Musical Fidility V-DAC II
6. Logitech Harmony One

And it was a month of research and hunt for new setup.

As my experience with 2 channel systems, could find any value add for keeping a seperate 2 channels system.

So comprised requirement were,

0. Minimum number of components

1. A floorstander
1.1 Capable of delivering all ranges
1.2 Good Bass and mids
1.3 Ability perform good in 2 channel stereo setup as well as movie setup.

2. AVR
2.1 An AVR that can serve as a 2 channel amp.
2.2 Receiver supports DLNA as well other streaming capabilities.
2.3 AVR should be able to control from Android/iphone/browser as source is computer
2.4 AVR with readble display never should arise the need of switching on TV for browsing through the music collection
2.5 Default remote should be capable of operating TV

Constraints
1. Budget as usual
2. :rolleyes:

Done some homework and shortlisted 3 combinations then completed my auditions in a week. As budget is a constraint, decided to build systems in a phased manner
Thanks to forum members who helped me to get an idea on price and especially kittu who guided me throughout in each step.

Phase I
Pair of Front speakers
AVR

Phase II

Center channel
Subwoofer

Phase III

Phase IV

Phase V
Shift items to dedicated HT room

Phase 1 completed and here is the picture for you to guess speaker &AVR...
Enough hints left for an easy guess

img0001wu.jpg

img0004yt.jpg

I won't able to disclose price in this thread, interested parties can PM me.

Well, I could give the answer out but then that would be cheating, since I have seen your setup in person. :cool:

Thanks SVKNDV,

Really from the first picture we could not guess, now easily with the logo in front anybody can guess it.. Congratulation on getting Focal. Please do post some impression as PM'd..

Regards

Congrats on your new setup. IMHO, you should not have sold your 2 channel amp before buying this AVR and compared side-by-side. Anyways, post your impressions..:)

Congrats on your new setup. IMHO, you should not have sold your 2 channel amp before buying this AVR and compared side-by-side. Anyways, post your impressions..:)

So far I am very happy with the sound quality of this AVR in stereo mode. 3 modes available to choose from.

Normal Stereo Mode

Direct: Bypasses all the tone controls and turns off all video circuitry. If analog, the signal is still converted to digital for bass management.

Pure Direct: The incoming analog signal is duplicated, one goes direct to the amps for the main channels, the other gets converted to digital for bass management only when a sub connected. Front channel get the original full range signal, and the second path goes to the sub. In addition this mode turns off all digital circuitry that is not needed including LCD display of AVR.
I use DLNA to play music so above statement is partially valid.

Moreover built-in DAC have 3 different modes for low quality MP3 sources.

As there was quite few request on where I bought this item,

Items bought from UNIQUESYS- Near Kundanahali gate on varthur road, you can contact the dealer Saif,
He deals with almost every brand and I found him as a nice person to deal with.
I got best deal which no other dealer in bangalore could match.

Thanks to another thread from where I got to know about a shop exists nearby whitefield

Last edited:
@svkndv

Congrats dude, I didn't know that you have bought all these and done a big upgrade. You must have noticed a vast improvement and difference between ur previous set-up and this one but you are driving focals with AVR so how are u finding your speakers?

Did you try this speakers with any stereo AMP? If yes so any difference u found?

@svkndv

Congrats dude, I didn't know that you have bought all these and done a big upgrade. You must have noticed a vast improvement and difference between ur previous set-up and this one but you are driving focals with AVR so how are u finding your speakers?

Did you try this speakers with any stereo AMP? If yes so any difference u found?
Thanks Abhi..

It was indeed a great upgrade. I felt reasonably good upgrade not great as I was using PSB B6.There is significantly great improvement in mid but not in bass department.

Even though it is a 2 1/2 way speakers on paper. I felt like 3 way speaker with fullness of sound without any distortion. Admire crystal clear sound & clarity however in my personal opinion bass department it is not a match with PSB B6. But i am not worried as i will be opting for a sub woofer to compensate.

@svkndv

Did you try audyssey dynamic EQ in your avr. I wanted to do an automatic volume levelling to contol the hikes and dips in volume b.w tracks using my denon 1911. Your 3312 looks similiar to 1911 . Is dynamic EQ the one to do volume levelling?

Thanks in advance.
Antony

Hey guy im new on the site i have a two channel stereo amp technics SU-3 I wana add an active subwoofer or subwoofer to it, is it possible ,as i am looking extra bass bcoz the speakerz im using dont produce the bass i want ,mission 701series

@svkndv

Did you try audyssey dynamic EQ in your avr. I wanted to do an automatic volume levelling to contol the hikes and dips in volume b.w tracks using my denon 1911. Your 3312 looks similiar to 1911 . Is dynamic EQ the one to do volume levelling?

Thanks in advance.
Antony

Yes I am using it, For music I keep reference to 10. These options are enabled only after auto calibration.

0dB (Film Ref) : This is the default setting and should be used when
listening to movies.
5dB : Select this setting for content that has a very wide dynamic range,
such as classical music.
10dB : Select this setting for jazz or other music that has a wider dynamic
range. This setting should also be selected for TV content as that is usually
mixed at 10 dB below film reference.
15dB : Select this setting for pop/rock music or other program material
that is mixed at very high listening levels and has a compressed dynamic
range.

Dynamic EQ and dynamic volume are different things. I don't prefer using dynamic volume as it adjust whole sound as mentioned below.

Midnight : Most adjustment to loudest and softest sounds.
Evening : Medium adjustment to loudest and softest sound.
Day : Least adjustment to loudest and softest sounds.
OFF : Do not use Dynamic Volume.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back