My new klipsch setup

tm2005

I would like to thank the forum members for their valuable posts which helped me choose my setup and also learn a great deal about various speakers.
I would like to share my experience demoing some speakers in case it would be helpful to some one.I would say that i have had no prior experience listening to hifi speakers so my demo or review of speaker will only give my viewpoint and may not be of much help to others to see which speaker is better.
I have demoed KEF XQ30 , POLK RTI A9 , FOCAL CHORUS 826V , MONITER AUDIO platinum series PL300, MBL 101EMK 11, Klipsch THX and reference series
First i went to profx in chennai,here i demoed the kef, polk and focal speakers.
The kef xq30 had very good vocals which sounded very natural but did not have enough bass as though the bass was reduced to make the sound more natural.
Polk rti a9 did not sound as clear as the kef but had more bass.
The focal chorus sounded completely different from the kef as well as polk.It was very bright which made the vocals clearly understandable but set my ears ringing on some treble heavy parts of the song also the sound seemed unnatural to me.This may due to room acoustics as the room was not acaustically treated.
Among these three to the focal chorus looked most attractive in design.
Next i went to the audio people showroom in Chennai.I asked to be shown the best they had and was shown the mbl 101EMK 11.They had these speakers hooked to two mono bloc amplifiers one amp for one speaker.These sounded even more natural than the KEF which was the most natural i heard so far.But these were priced at 1.25 crore for a pair of speakers alone so they were out of my budget.
Then i heard the moniter audio PL300 which sounded the best to me they had incredible bass while maintaining clarity.They did not sound natural like KEF.They were more bright but were more fun to listen to.These also costing about 5 lakh for a pair were out of my budget.
Then i heard the klipsch thx which sounded good for movies but costed 3.5 lakh for speakers alone since my budget was 4 lakh for total setup i discounted them.
In the end i liked the klipsch RF 83 in this the vocals were as natural as kef speakers and it had lots of bass even without a sub woofer.The treble did not sound bright at all to me but this may due to the heavy acoustic treatment done in all the demo rooms of the audio people.For me RF 83 seemed to strike the right balance between price and sound quality and looks.At least to me the RF 83 looked very cool.In the end i got RF 83 based 5.1 setup and denon 3808 amp for 3.6 lakh total.I am still waiting for the installation in my home which will be done in a few weeks.Then i will thoroughly review it.
I hope that this will help some one while choosing speakers but use my opinion as a ref only if you are unable to demo the speakers yourself.

I love those RF-83's :) it has got rave reviews about its HT capabilities though I have not seen them in real the pics and the specifications indicate that they are pretty huge speakers and looks beautiful. It has got an amazing woofer too along with it though the RF-83 floorstanders itself is capable of handling the low fq.

I have attached a pic of the setup along with this do confirm if that is the same thing you are buying it looks awesome. Its pretty heavy as well.
1007kli.1.jpg

How much did you pay for the Klipsch setup minus the denon.

Love to hear your comments about them once they are setup. what DVDp and Tv are you using with it.

yes rem that is the setup except i did not get that sub i got 12 inch 350 watt sub from klipsch mostly to save money i am planning to upgrade to better sub later i paid 2.6 lakh for the speakers alone and 90 for the denon i am planning on buying 60 inch kuro display and ps3 for blueray i will post pics as soon as i get them

TM if you are goin for the Kuros I would definitely suggest a more high end BD player probably Panasonic or even Denon which is a lot more costlier than the Pana.

Kuros series from Pioneer is supposed to be the best tv in our solar system :D ur one lucky guy. Its gonna be an awesome experience TN,

Thats good stuff you bought there. Klipsch pairs well with Denon. Play around with the diff DSP modes to see which one you like. Dont go by definitions as sometimes "Music Hall" may sound pretty good for live recordings also.

Ensure you setup and calibrate your system well and do break in for about 100 hrs before blasting loud if you intended.

Loud does not equate to good quality for music especially. I am sure you will enjoy your system.

I would like to thank the forum members for their valuable posts which helped me choose my setup and also learn a great deal about various speakers.
I would like to share my experience demoing some speakers in case it would be helpful to some one.I would say that i have had no prior experience listening to hifi speakers so my demo or review of speaker will only give my viewpoint and may not be of much help to others to see which speaker is better.
I have demoed KEF XQ30 , POLK RTI A9 , FOCAL CHORUS 826V , MONITER AUDIO platinum series PL300, MBL 101EMK 11, Klipsch THX and reference series
First i went to profx in chennai,here i demoed the kef, polk and focal speakers.
The kef xq30 had very good vocals which sounded very natural but did not have enough bass as though the bass was reduced to make the sound more natural.
Polk rti a9 did not sound as clear as the kef but had more bass.
The focal chorus sounded completely different from the kef as well as polk.It was very bright which made the vocals clearly understandable but set my ears ringing on some treble heavy parts of the song also the sound seemed unnatural to me.This may due to room acoustics as the room was not acaustically treated.
Among these three to the focal chorus looked most attractive in design.
Next i went to the audio people showroom in Chennai.I asked to be shown the best they had and was shown the mbl 101EMK 11.They had these speakers hooked to two mono bloc amplifiers one amp for one speaker.These sounded even more natural than the KEF which was the most natural i heard so far.But these were priced at 1.25 crore for a pair of speakers alone so they were out of my budget.
Then i heard the moniter audio PL300 which sounded the best to me they had incredible bass while maintaining clarity.They did not sound natural like KEF.They were more bright but were more fun to listen to.These also costing about 5 lakh for a pair were out of my budget.
Then i heard the klipsch thx which sounded good for movies but costed 3.5 lakh for speakers alone since my budget was 4 lakh for total setup i discounted them.
In the end i liked the klipsch RF 83 in this the vocals were as natural as kef speakers and it had lots of bass even without a sub woofer.The treble did not sound bright at all to me but this may due to the heavy acoustic treatment done in all the demo rooms of the audio people.For me RF 83 seemed to strike the right balance between price and sound quality and looks.At least to me the RF 83 looked very cool.In the end i got RF 83 based 5.1 setup and denon 3808 amp for 3.6 lakh total.I am still waiting for the installation in my home which will be done in a few weeks.Then i will thoroughly review it.
I hope that this will help some one while choosing speakers but use my opinion as a ref only if you are unable to demo the speakers yourself.

Congratulations Tm! How would you rate your overall experience with ProFx and AudioPeople in Chennai?

REM thanks for the heads up but i am interested in ps3 more for gaming than movies since i like to game ps3 is definitely best value for money for me.

Marsilians as soon as i get my hands on the system i will probably play around with it for more than 100 hours(continuously if i could).

thevortex I would say that both the profx and audio people were very helpful which was important since that was the first time i went shopping for hifi gear.

In profx due to some government rule they could not turn on the AC so i had to sweat through the demos for more than 3 hours but the salesperson was very patient and repeatedly changed the speaker connections for A-Bing various speakers.He kind of seemed to have an inclination to sell the focal speakers(at least that is the impression i got) which made me cautious about that brand.

In audio people there were ACs thank god but at the time i went,there were a lot of other customers so i got stuck with the bottom management.Now that was annoying imagine your salesperson is scared of messing with costlier speakers and kept steering you towards cheaper alternatives.But after a little while i got someone who had some authority,since i had not done much research on the net before then i asked them to show me the best speakers from each company they had.They (yes there were 3 of them) showed me all the speakers (starting from mbl costing 1.25 crore).

One thing i didn't like about audio people is that they overstate the price so that they can reduce it latter in the form of a discount. For eg they said that the price of rf 83 pair was 1.9 lakh but after a lot of negotiations i got 35% discount which brought the price to the price stated in internet sites such as amazon.com.
I don't know if this is the same in profx as i did not get to the stage of haggling there.

Your impression of Audio People is spot on. I have experienced the same and just wanted to check to see if you thought the same way. Thank you.

ProFx really needs to get its act together on the A/C front. The last time I went too they had no AC in the downstairs which made for a truly stifling experience. Thankfully when I was listening to their Focal Electra floorstander in the upstairs room, there was A/C available.

Your impression of Audio People is spot on. I have experienced the same and just wanted to check to see if you thought the same way. Thank you.

Even i felt the same with vector systems of Bangalore. He quoted all the Wharfedale prices 15-20 % above MRP..eg 9.5 for 32000/- ,9.2 for 18.5...
I felt bad and left the place.

Thanks,
Prakash

REM thanks for the heads up but i am interested in ps3 more for gaming than movies since i like to game ps3 is definitely best value for money for me.

Marsilians as soon as i get my hands on the system i will probably play around with it for more than 100 hours(continuously if i could).

It doesn't have to be continuous. Usually if you are going out as a family, then leave the system on at normal hearing levels. usually I put CD on continuous play for this.

Even i felt the same with vector systems of Bangalore. He quoted all the Wharfedale prices 15-20 % above MRP..eg 9.5 for 32000/- ,9.2 for 18.5...
I felt bad and left the place.

Thanks,
Prakash

I had the same bad experience with Vector Bangalore...I bought DAC cables from this place and I felt cheated after I paid the price. It would be better to have it couriered from their store in Hyderabad where they really have good people to seal a deal with.

-Ashish

Focals have pretty strong top end, which is supposed to tame down as time goes by (burn in or your ears get used it, not sure which one)

You should be lucky to get such a great first set-up. could you share your opinion on the center channel performance of the Klipsch. This was what put me away when I auditioned the old RF series.

Just my 2 cents......since you have spent so much on a good system, do concentrate well on room treatment too. just some (dense) wall hangings could do a big difference in SQ.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back