My new set-up

karthikswaminath

Friends - In continuation of my thread in the Actives section, happy to share that I pulled the trigger on the below. The Harbeths match superbly with the Gryphon.
At this point, the Gryphon could be an overall kill. However, I guess the extra reserve power is helpful for future speaker upgrades.

- Harbeth Super HL5 Plus 40th Anniversary edition
- Gryphon Diablo 300
- Mytek Brooklyn DAC+

Presently, staying in a temporary service apartment. More to follow....

Attachments

• 2018-05-13-PHOTO-00000022.jpg
    2018-05-13-PHOTO-00000022.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 450
  • 2018-05-13-PHOTO-00000020.jpg
    2018-05-13-PHOTO-00000020.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 445
  • 2018-05-13-PHOTO-00000019.jpg
    2018-05-13-PHOTO-00000019.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 443
  • 2018-05-13-PHOTO-00000017.jpg
    2018-05-13-PHOTO-00000017.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 446
  • 2018-05-13-PHOTO-00000018.jpg
    2018-05-13-PHOTO-00000018.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 501
  • 2018-05-13-PHOTO-00000016.jpg
    2018-05-13-PHOTO-00000016.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 507
Congratulations on your new setup Karthik

What will you use as a source ?

I think its a Marantz CD Player OR Marantz SA-8005
Ok
Have heard the SA 8005
Wonderfully good cd player and works well as a transport too
Good thing is that it's also got usb input but can't be even near Brooklyn as a dac

Presently, I am using Apple mac book to play Hi-Res audio thru the DAC. Also, I borrowed from my friend the Marantz CD 6004 player and few CDs to see how it sounds. I am using the CD player as a transport thru Coaxial out to the DAC.
Eventually the primary source will be a turntable that i need to buy. Most likely I will settle in for Amari LP22s.
Waiting for my Vinyls to arrive in shipment :)

This gryphon diablo indeed looks like a beast even on the outside :)

Congratulations on your complete new awesome setup. Would be interesting to know how you find the Gryphon in comparison to your previous line magnetic tube amp. Thanks :)

Did u have an incentive scheme with your employer in Shanghai to gift you a terrific music rig... If you decide to leave the flavorful food of India to Shanghai ?? ;)

Friends - In continuation of my thread in the Actives section, happy to share that I pulled the trigger on the below. The Harbeths match superbly with the Gryphon.
At this point, the Gryphon could be an overall kill. However, I guess the extra reserve power is helpful for future speaker upgrades.

- Harbeth Super HL5 Plus 40th Anniversary edition
- Gryphon Diablo 300
- Mytek Brooklyn DAC+

Congratulations on the new setup. The Gryphon is an incredible amp.
Did you think of considering the DAC module for the Diablo?

Either way that is an incredible setup - enjoy the music!

Regards.

Congratulations on the new setup. The Gryphon is an incredible amp.
Did you think of considering the DAC module for the Diablo?

Either way that is an incredible setup - enjoy the music!

Regards.

Hi Nikhil - Thanks. Few things came in to consideration
1. The dealer did not have a demo of the DAC 2. I am not comfortable purchasing without an audition
2. The DAC had to be pre-ordered
3. External DAC provides additional flexibility
4. Lastly - most important for me was the budget

Cheers
Karthik

I think the Same question is Bugging Everyone who has been following his threads but never heard either Herberth SLHS or SCM 19v2(myself included)..
Very good write up and excellent pictures, congratulations.

Its really going to be unfair on my part to make a comparison between ATC SCM19v2 and Harbeth Super HL5+ 40th, although, I had the benefit of having the ATC for couple of months. I am saying this because the amplifier and DACs being used are completely different.
With the ATC, I had paired the Line Magnetic and I found the combo to be fantastic. However, the Shanling DAC doing the duties is not comparable to the Mytek. I enjoyed the ATCs especially the tighter bass. I find the Harbeth's easy to drive as I have been experimenting it with various amps. Having said that, I find the Harbeths to have a wider sound stage.
I will continue the below thread from here now:
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/atc-scm-19a-vs-40a.70055/page-2

I wanted to post from last couple of weeks, however, couldn't get time with work, family and Saturday demo sessions.
Couple of weeks back, I packed the beast - Gryphon Diablo 300 to my friends place to pair it with Revel F208. i also took the Mytek Brooklyn DAC+.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vdU14a11kpn3XijTA

What can I say - it was simply wow. The Gryphon controlled the speakers very well. The lows, mids and highs were fantastic. The bass was a slam. The Gryphon and Revels were like made for each other with great synergy. That's when i realized what the Gryphons are capable of. Although the room size was small, there no boom.

Attachments

• Gryphon_Revel.jpg
    Gryphon_Revel.jpg
    454.2 KB · Views: 169
The following week, I was able to get on Audio Quest Thunder and Atlas Power Cable. I suspected the stock cables from Gryphon. my local Shanghai dealer from whom I purchased the Gryphon was good enough to loan the cables.
Now to add to the fun, my friend also has a pair of Dali Opticon 8 (I had purchased the Opticon 6 last year and he got the 8s) - and subsequently purchased the Revels. The Opticon 8 was packed and sitting idle. So unboxed it and wanted to do a back to back with the Revels.
First we connected the Audio Quest Thunder PC with Gryphon and paired to Revel - source being the same Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ / mac book and CD. The speakers came to life - it was a perfect combo. The PC made a huge difference to the already thundering bass. It was one of the best I had listened.
Later, we connected the Atlas PC and yes, there was improvement vs the stock (maybe 30%) but no match to the AQ thunder.
Finally, it was time to hook up the Opticon 8. Well, after listening to the Revels, we felt the Opticon 8 was lagging behind a bit. Also, the bass was booming. So, we concluded the Gryphon beast was over powering the Opitcon. The Opticons are great speakers - it all gets to synergy i guess.
More to follow....

Attachments

• gryphon_Revel dali.jpg
    gryphon_Revel dali.jpg
    811.1 KB · Views: 152
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back