My new speakers - Ruined!! :sis:

Hi,

I 100% agree and second that !! Never use it as it will damage the tweeter for sure ! since its soft dome the damages will more !

Rahul hope you read my earlier (asking coz no reply to that) !

Regards.

Too late!! When I wrote my last post, I had just returned from a shopping hunt for ant spray - did not find any. However in that one hour, the ants returned and made another 3 holes!!! :mad:

I then ran out and got a mosquito spray and used it on the speaker. I had no choice!! I had to leave for office immediately, still ended up an hour late.

I will PM you about replacing my tweeters. But first we need to locate the original WF silk dome tweeter for replacement.

Regards

a surefire way of eliminating ant menace -

place the speakers on spikes - locate the spikes made of non corrosive material in small bowls of water - make sure the bowls of water do not dry up by replenishing the water every third day. any anti-ant chemicals can be mixed in the water. works 100%

you will have to replace the tweeter, though :sad:

do not ever use any chemical, powder or otherwise, on the drivers themselves.

regards

My spikes are made of brass - however since a month I'm using speakers without them as I find the glass mounting sufficient with no significant deterioration is SQ - will post a pic tomorrow to show what I'm talking about. Actually I felt the frequencies evened out a bit after I removed the spikes at the cost of a very slight and tolerable retardation in attack/punch. Let me see if getting rid of the menace at the source will help first.

I think I will try your suggestion if poisioning their nest does not help.

Regards

I will second this. I use this exact technique myself. The base of my floorstanders has a couple of thick coats of Lakshmanrekha chalk applied to it. None of the other brands of chalk works as well. Also some is spread on the speaker cables. My house also has an ant problem but my speakers have never been affected. I learned this the hard way when they got inside my computer many years back. I dont think the spray is effective as you will most likely wipe it away while cleaning.

Will get one tomorrow. Good idea!

Regards

yikes gobble you have my utmost sympathies! its good to hear soundsgreat can help you get new tweeters put in at least. would unscrewing the tweeter help? you could unsolder the wire connections, keep the tweeter separately so the ants disperse and then replace after a while? if its small holes it might not affect the sound that much? how does the speaker sound with the ant holes?

yikes gobble you have my utmost sympathies! its good to hear soundsgreat can help you get new tweeters put in at least. would unscrewing the tweeter help? you could unsolder the wire connections, keep the tweeter separately so the ants disperse and then replace after a while? if its small holes it might not affect the sound that much? how does the speaker sound with the ant holes?

Playable - some of the refinement appears to be missing, but still listenable really.

Dunno what I will find when i reach home tonight ...

Regards

Hi,

Too late!! When I wrote my last post, I had just returned from a shopping hunt for ant spray - did not find any. However in that one hour, the ants returned and made another 3 holes!!!

Oh Damn:annoyed: ! Its perhaps a better idea to keep the speakers away for time being !

But first we need to locate the original WF silk dome tweeter for replacement.

Rahul you don't worry bout that ! Leave that to me I will make it sound better then the original ;) ! if you one those by the book guys then Am sorry I cannot do much :p! but if you are open to me doing some R&D and getting it back to shape then Am game for it(nothing satisfies me more then helping a fellow member in distress) !

its good to hear soundsgreat can help you get new tweeters put in at least.

Steven Am only glad to be of some help ! but again the above conditions applies so its Rahul's call !

you could unsolder the wire connections,

No one doesn't have to as most of these speakers use spade type clamp to secure the connection and hardly solder them (meaning mostly they do not solder) ! so its just remove the screws and un-clamp it thats all ;)!

Regarding the sound Rahul is the best person to comment ! but I guess there will be some very small (perhaps negligible) amount of degradation for sure in sound reproduced by them :p!

On a side note,Steven Am still waiting for that invite !!
Regards.

take my idea,temporarily,

take 2 plastic trays for 2 speakers put water, in the middle of tray put waterproof support/stands,on top keep speakers ..

ants can never cross the water line !

They used the speaker cable as a rope bridge :)

Regards

:lol: sorry to laugh on your expense but this was the only incident that made me smile amidst all the @#!#1 work I have been budled with.

Anyway dude - only option is pest control - and using boric poweder. We had planst earlier and they were run over by ants - boric powder is the only long term solution. Use it on the cracks and maybe lakhman rehka for a temporary measure.

Hi,

I 100% agree and second that !! Never use it as it will damage the tweeter for sure ! since its soft dome the damages will more !

Rahul hope you read my earlier (asking coz no reply to that) !

Regards.

Actually Soundsgreat

I will change the tweeters next weekend not this weekend - I will add boric powder and wait and watch for a few days. I don't want to change the tweeters and find ants all over it once again in a few days. The setup is still listen-able so this can wait.

I'll still bother you this weekend for a quick listen of your setup if you are free though. :)

Once I hand over my ant friends the discharge letter and school leaving certificates, we can work on changing it for good. :lol:

Regards
Principal

Hai Gobble,

You can try using naphthalene balls. Put some inside through the front ports. As for external protection put some Gamaxene Powder all around, near the foot of the speakers. You can also use some insect spray like Mortein.

Thank you,

N.Murali

Hi,

Actually Soundsgreat

I will change the tweeters next weekend not this weekend - I will add boric powder and wait and watch for a few days. I don't want to change the tweeters and find ants all over it once again in a few days. The setup is still listen-able so this can wait.

Rahul No worries buddy ! you decide to the course of action and time, let me know how and where I fit in ;) !! will do my part.

Once I hand over my ant friends the discharge letter and school leaving certificates, we can work on changing it for good.

You can say that again :lol:!! they had their time and now its your turn ;)!

I'll still bother you this weekend for a quick listen of your setup if you are free though

Common man you are.....:p ! offcourse you most welcome to drop in ;)!! check you PM for my contact details !let me know what time suits you and when so that I can make myself available for the same :D!

Regards.

Gobble:

Pidilite makes a chemical called Terminator. This has a slight smell, but it really destroys ants (all kinds) immediately. Bayer also makes a similar chemical, but I don't remember the name.

As Asit said, what you have to do is locate the hole in the wall from which they come. Spray a bit of Terminator or any such chemical, then pack the hole firmly with white cement or plaster.

In addition, I use a Neem based product called 'Nemyl' made by a company called Arpita Agro Products off Calcutta. This is mxed with the water that is used to sweep the floors on a daily basis. The neem completely keeps all insects away. I have been using this for over 2 years with absolutely no insects inside my house. Their website is www.arpitaagro.com, but unfortunately the webiste does not seem, to work.

Cheers

Hi
Sorry to here about your problem. My suggestion would be if possible open the speakers cabinet, dismantle tweeter put in good sunlight for some time after getting rid of ants put it back on. change location of speakers for few days. use whatever pest control you prefer to original speakers location and some heavy pest control at the source where ants are coming from. As for the holes in cone of tweeters if they are small put thin film of rubber solution (stickfast) to cover them.
On funnier note to prevent any future ant problem put some sweets at the source from where ants are coming.

Why dont you try putting 1 or 2 candies (opened :licklips:) somewhere near to the speaker. Now the ants will start hating your speakers.:eek:hyeah:

Gobble,

Out of all the posts here I agree with the one where the member has recommended putting your speakers on spikes and having small cups of water (upon which the spikes are placed). I dont know if it will significantly alter the sound though.

We are plagued by the ant menace and typically keep everything from rice to curries within a large plate of water in the kitchen. No chance for the ants to come. Ants do not swim!

@gobble - sorry to hear about the ant problem. I have nothing to add here, but just wanted to expess how bad I feel, knowing your passion for your music system (reading your indepth reviews).

If I am not mistaken, sprinkling powdered haldi also repels ants.

Last edited:
Gammaxene (or any other Benzene HexaChloride based formulation) is the best against ants. However, if I'm not wrong, BHC is banned in a lot of countries, incl. India.

Grrrr! Arf! Arf! :mad: ( sorry m in no mood to greet hello )

I just found ants crawling over my right speaker. As I starting dusting them off I noticed 3 or 4 needle punctures in the tweeter and the ants were crawling in and out of it!!! Holy cow!! They are building a multi-story apartment complex right in my speaker!!

Pleeeeeez help!! :sos:

How do I get rid of them and prevent them from savaging my system? Looks like the tweeter will need replacement. :sad:

Running out to buy anti-ant spray or something ....

Regards

Hi Gobble,

this is an ant hole in a fabric dome tweeter.

of all tweeters this was a scanspeak revelator :sad:

$220:sad:
ants have expensive tastes!

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/7006/picturesfromleica119.jpg

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back