My new speakers - Ruined!! :sis:

But gobble,
it has not made much difference, as far as i can hear, to the sound produced.

i will change it one day when i can afford it and then update about whether the new tweeter makes a difference
regards

Hi gobble,

i have the PERFECT solution to prevent calamities such as the one you had

route the speaker wire through a piece of sponge just near the binding terminals, and place the sponge
on the floor. The speaker wire distal to the sponge should be off the floor and terminate at the speaker. Spray HIT or Baygon cockroach spray onto the sponge and wet it. these are residual poisons and should last at least a week. - now if the ants use your speaker cable as a ropeway it will be a ropeway to death!

place the four speaker supports on pieces of sponge and again spray and`wet with baygon or HIT. I am sure that the vehicle used in these sprays and the propellant will damage lacquer or other finishes, so i suppose that the chemical should not come into contact with the speaker structure.

Young children need to be protected if this is done, and dogs too. I have three fairly boisterous dogs but i will be trying this as of today

that TIGER BALM idea sounds good, better bet than chemical poisons if it works. Will try in this way - place a bowl of sugar syrup on the floor - the junction between the floor and the bowl I will fill with tiger balm. If there are no ants in the bowl in the morning the tiger balm will be deemed effective. I will leave the syrup for many days to see how long the single application of tiger balm can deter those ants.

should work:)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the tips guys.

Posting pics of the damaged tweeter and my speaker mounting.

The ants returned at night on Friday but after a second spraying of the surrounding areas, they are gone.

@Suri, I don't have pets right now although I love them dearly, but even then I am averse to chemicals around the house.

@Venkat, I've seen the paste you mentioned - used in the coffee machine @office. The toxic smell frightened the hell out of me then and I stopped using the machine long back when I found out how they were maintaining it.

Putting boric powder today. And yes, I think I will open the speakers and leave them in the hot sun for short while to ensure there are no eggs deposited on the inside. Good idea.

Thanks again for all your suggestions. Meeting SoundsGreat this afternoon, then will decide what to do.

Bigger pic of tweeter here: http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/4092/speakers0.png This one is a good close-up of the damage.

Regards

Last edited:
gobble
i hope the untreated wooden logs that i think you are using as stands has not attracted them in the first place
P>S please dont ask me to explain what a log of wood has anything to do with ants . i have had problems with ants and wood before

Last edited:
The timber guy assured me that this wood does not attract termites - it does have secretions but the ants never swarmed around the wood - they used the cable to climb straight onto the speaker - in a commando style raid .. :(

Regards

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back