My New Three ways

Amateur_Audiophile

Hello

I own a pair of Polk Audio TSi 300 as part of my 5.1 HT setup, so I wanted to build something which sounds similar if not better than my Polks.
My previous build with Bolton drivers sounds okay but not something I like, so I dismantled them.
Design wise, I always liked Contra from Lithos, but they are expensive for me.
So I started with a budget of 20K and deisgn in mind similar with Contra.

I planned to source drivers and hire a carpenter to build the cabinets, and planned to make crossovers myself.
I was not too keen to solve all tech issues, my preference is, should sound better to ears than to have better graphs on paper. Similarly look was also an important criteria.
First Step
Driver selection
Thanks to Bibin, I sourced my peerless drivers from Varsha Elecrtonics, I bought following drivers to create the two ways section
Peerless - 5.25" Kevlar Cone Woofer - M13KH
Peerless - 26mm Silk Dome Tweeter - TL26SG
I planned to use my existing Bolton drivers for my woofer section. They are six inches drivers which I plan to upgrade to 8 inches peerless woofers later. My cabinet design allows that upgrade.

Box design
After some goggling, I decided to use sealed boxes, but at the same time I kept option to add a port if sound doesnt satisfy.
Expert comments needed for my choice.
The journey to create the boxes has been a nightmare; getting quality work done is very difficult.

I have already got Acrylic sheet cut to size for making base of my woofer box, woofer boxes

Amplifiers

The speakers will be used with Denon 107, I bought them from UK without the speakers
DENON UK | D-F107DAB
I planned to add a plate subwoofer amplifier for by woofer boxes, one amplifier driving both boxes, I have selected following amplifier and waiting for my friend to carry that from US to India
https://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-802

Crossover
Audio grade capacitors from US/UK costing too much, and I am not able to find suitable caps locally, hunt is still on, any pointer will help. I am not planning to spend more than 3K for both crossovers. I dont intent to buy pre-assembled, since I wanted 300-350 Hz cutoff for my two way box and rest to be handled by woofer box.

More details and pictures to follow

Last edited:
Hello

I own a pair of Polk Audio TSi 300 as part of my 5.1 HT setup, so I wanted to build something which sounds similar if not better than my Polks.
My previous build with Bolton drivers sounds okay but not something I like, so I dismantled them.
Design wise, I always liked Contra from Lithos, but they are expensive for me.
So I started with a budget of 20K and deisgn in mind similar with Contra.

I planned to source drivers and hire a carpenter to build the cabinets, and planned to make crossovers myself.
I was not too keen to solve all tech issues, my preference is, should sound better to ears than to have better graphs on paper. Similarly look was also an important criteria.
First Step
Driver selection
Thanks to Bibin, I sourced my peerless drivers from Varsha Elecrtonics, I bought following drivers to create the two ways section
Peerless - 5.25" Kevlar Cone Woofer - M13KH
Peerless - 26mm Silk Dome Tweeter - TL26SG
I planned to use my existing Bolton drivers for my woofer section. They are six inches drivers which I plan to upgrade to 8 inches peerless woofers later. My cabinet design allows that upgrade.

Box design
After some goggling, I decided to use sealed boxes, but at the same time I kept option to add a port if sound doesnt satisfy.
Expert comments needed for my choice.
The journey to create the boxes has been a nightmare; getting quality work done is very difficult.

I have already got Acrylic sheet cut to size for making base of my woofer box, woofer boxes

Amplifiers

The speakers will be used with Denon 107, I bought them from UK without the speakers
DENON UK | D-F107DAB
I planned to add a plate subwoofer amplifier for by woofer boxes, one amplifier driving both boxes, I have selected following amplifier and waiting for my friend to carry that from US to India
https://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-802

Crossover
Audio grade capacitors from US/UK costing too much, and I am not able to find suitable caps locally, hunt is still on, any pointer will help. I am not planning to spend more than 3K for both crossovers. I dont intent to buy pre-assembled, since I wanted 300-350 Hz cutoff for my two way box and rest to be handled by woofer box.

More details and pictures to follow

Hi @Amateur_Audiophile, I liked your post and appreciate your effort. However, I was doing some googling as DIY bug also bit me :).
I think this link might be helpful for you for the crossover selection:
Passive Crossovers

First I'd look for the same in local market. If this kind of stuff is not available, then I am planning to order online from here. Other crossover stuffs available in ebay.in are quite costly (like 5k or so). So I'd like to go ahead with this.

Hi Amateur Audiophile,
Why did you ditch it? The peerless seems like a good bookshelf prospect.
My calculations using factory specs give me a neat 60Hz roll-of on a compact 9.6 litre box with a port 100mm(dia) x 600mm (length).

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back