My review of the denon 520BT

• Thread starter Deleted member 38504
  • Start date
I only have two speakers so listening on stereo mode.

There is no setting for decibel units.

Just noticed that with Eco mode on,the hissing is more prominent. It's still there on auto and off,but a little less.

It's not going to protection mode,just that the Eco mode from auto trip to off.

Also the hissing only happens on Tata Sky had,NOT when I play off my HDD or blue ray.
Please confirm if there is any option or not as the manual says so. You can have a look here:
Volume AVR-X520BT

I have no idea to all the wattage questions honestly.

I don't believe in numbers,I just took my speakers and auditioned 4 different amps in my budget. I bought what I liked,rather what sounded good to my ears.

What speakers do u have? If u have a 1000 watt speaker set that costs 2 lacs ,ur probably going to need a bigger AVR ;-)

I have small lil Polk tsx440 floor standers.

Movies sound better with my current AVR,however music was better with my Cambridge Sr10 stereo amp.

The denon costs about 33-35k.

Regards.

My speakers are Jamo S426 - 140 Watts, and I may upgrade later.
My CD player is Marantz CD5004.
My amp is ENBEE 100 RMS.
Not bought an AVR as cant decide on model/brand?
Still in the process of listening and checking out AVRs.....so far did not like any for Music.

Hi,

Jamo's pair well with Marantz...why don't you look @ the SR series? SR5010?

If budget is an issue, there is a SR5008 on sale in Hi Fi Ads...

Audition and decide....all the best!

I only have two speakers so listening on stereo mode.

There is no setting for decibel units.

Just noticed that with Eco mode on,the hissing is more prominent. It's still there on auto and off,but a little less.

It's not going to protection mode,just that the Eco mode from auto trip to off.

Also the hissing only happens on Tata Sky had,NOT when I play off my HDD or blue ray.

Could you try switching off the eco mode and then checking whether there is any Input Gain set? This should be under Inputs sub menu.

Also, reset the receiver and run the audyssey auto setup. Yes i know it makes little sense when in stereo mode, however, still urge you to run it.

I'll check that tomo when I get home to Mumbai for a day. Thanks. Sent u a pm,mash.

I did run the audyssey setup he first time itself and haven't changed anything.

Cheers.

Ok so I found the decibel option. Sorry my bad. I'm still fiddling and trying to learn.

Really stupid question. When I sit on my sofa and listen to music,the bass is awesome. The moment I stand up,it sort of dies down. How? Is it because the woofers are at the base of the floorstanders?

Hi

Yes, it will as the bass in the towers are directional......this is where sub woofers play a good role in providing bass everywhere....

Ahhh ok great ,thank u.

I've noticed now that once the volume is cranked up a lil bit,the speakers sound better. It's gotta go to about 60% of the max for me to enjoy the sound. But then again,it really depends on the source I'm playing from too.

Hi

Yes, you need to pump up the volume to enjoy good sound performance from your towers and hence was recommending 100w RMS @ 8 ohms minimum power to do good justice for them...

Check the speaker levels and adjust manually....also check the source levels and make some adjustments....this would then be optimal settings to get the best performance...

Refer to Operating Manual for instructions.....

Hi,

Jamo's pair well with Marantz...why don't you look @ the SR series? SR5010?

If budget is an issue, there is a SR5008 on sale in Hi Fi Ads...

Audition and decide....all the best!

Hi
Many thanks for your reply, will look for more AVRs.
Only need to find out who is a company dealer for Marantz in NEw DELHI NCR.

By the way made some progress on Sub woofer front - saw from the SVS web site they have a dealer in New Delhi who told me they do only whole sale to retailers and gave me retailers mobile number- heard the SVS subs sounds pretty cool....but the pricing was a rip of Rs 55K. I can pay max Rs35K.
Request your ideas on Sub woofers.
Regards

cant decide if I should go for Sub woofer first or an AVR.... priority is music first then movies.

Last edited:
Hi

Yes, it will as the bass in the towers are directional......this is where sub woofers play a good role in providing bass everywhere....

Hi folks
I am getting an education .
Do we need to by a Sub woofer first or an AVR?
I was told buy AVR first.
Did not any AVR tested for music.
But liked the SVS sub woofer...which is the second best sub woofer after SVS?
Owe you guys a beer any time.
Many thanks again.
Regards

Hi

Get the AVR first and use the speakers.....if you feel the bass is less then add a sub....

Also...I don't drink at all....so maybe some juices.... :)

Hi
Alright I got to for a good sounding AVR first then Sub Woofer later.
Many thanks for the correct advise n discussion on line.
The fruit juice is on me.

Hi
I am a newbie to HIFI
Ever since I installed Morels with a DLS amp in my car I have grown to appreciate sound quality. However I am no audiophile stuff. I started my search for a good HIFI music system and ended up searching for an av reciever, as it can double as an HT. My primary limiting factor as of now is my budget. Auditioned the Denon X1200 with Polk TSX 330T and 10 inch Polk front firing sub ie PSW 10. Loved the 2.1 set up, though the polks were a bit bright than I would have loved. The 2.1 setup with the sub costs a whooping 1L (for me). Then I looked at the 520BT. It has 125W per channel and according to the dealer can 'fire' the 330T floor standers comfortably though 440T would be impossible to power with it.

Living room is 12 ft x 20 feet. I wont be needing a large amp. I was considering buying the 520BT for its price advantage (38k vs 52k of the X1200) In that proces I can same some money and invest on the sub woofer.

Options are
Denon X1200 + Polk Tsx 330 + 10 inch Sub PSW 10 = 1L
Denon X1200 + Polk Tsx 440 = 89k
Denon 520 BT + Polk Tsx 330 + 10 inch sub = 80k

I will be investing in a central channel speaker and surrounds later, may be a couple of years later.

Can some one suggest similar budget floor standing options for the 1200 and 520BT. Polks were a little bright and I thought it had less bass than I like.
Is it really worth to upgrade to 1200X (+14K) over 520BT

Thanks in advance

Have been researching the Denon 1200 too.. Its freely available for 42k now.

Amazon.in: Buy DENON AVR-X1200W 7.2-CH NETWORK AV RECEIVER WITH DOLBY ATMOS, WI-FI, AIRPLAY, BLUETOOTH, 4K & 3D PASS-THROUGH Online at Low Prices in India | Denon Reviews & Ratings

QUOTE=Sandeep Padmanabhan;699455]Hi
I am a newbie to HIFI
Ever since I installed Morels with a DLS amp in my car I have grown to appreciate sound quality. However I am no audiophile stuff. I started my search for a good HIFI music system and ended up searching for an av reciever, as it can double as an HT. My primary limiting factor as of now is my budget. Auditioned the Denon X1200 with Polk TSX 330T and 10 inch Polk front firing sub ie PSW 10. Loved the 2.1 set up, though the polks were a bit bright than I would have loved. The 2.1 setup with the sub costs a whooping 1L (for me). Then I looked at the 520BT. It has 125W per channel and according to the dealer can 'fire' the 330T floor standers comfortably though 440T would be impossible to power with it.

Living room is 12 ft x 20 feet. I wont be needing a large amp. I was considering buying the 520BT for its price advantage (38k vs 52k of the X1200) In that proces I can same some money and invest on the sub woofer.

Options are
Denon X1200 + Polk Tsx 330 + 10 inch Sub PSW 10 = 1L
Denon X1200 + Polk Tsx 440 = 89k
Denon 520 BT + Polk Tsx 330 + 10 inch sub = 80k

I will be investing in a central channel speaker and surrounds later, may be a couple of years later.

Can some one suggest similar budget floor standing options for the 1200 and 520BT. Polks were a little bright and I thought it had less bass than I like.
Is it really worth to upgrade to 1200X (+14K) over 520BT

Thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

I have the denon 520BT and till a week back I was using the denon without a sub powering the Polk audio TSX440. Don't listen to the bullshit that dealers tell u. I agree the 520BT isn't the most powerful amp out there,but it's great for guys like me who were on a budget. It powers my Polk 440tsx easily,only thing is I need to crank up the volume a little more than normal as the polks are a lil heavy on the wattage.

Ever since I added the Polk PSW550wi sub,my movie and music experience has gone up ten fold. I can't live without the sub. Even my two year old daughter loves the sub,she sleeps on it because it's quite big, and she watches her cartoons with lots of bass.

The Polk 440 is way better than the 330 in terms of quality of sound. If ur looking for budget floorstanders they are awesome. I'm sure there are better speakers though,but ur talking specifically about the polks,so here is my opinion.

I'm sure the denon 1200 is also very good. I didn't buy it cause I don't even want a 5.1 system,let alone a 7.1 system. Hence I got the 520 BT.

Thanks for the input.
Infact my confusion is between Denon 520 BT vs 1200X. Prices after discount were 36k for the 520BT and 48K for the 1200X. There has been a recent price hike for the X1200 from MRP of 49K to MRP of 54K. (Hence the higher

I wont need Dolby Atmos for now, but will be happy with the extra power (if there is a significant difference). Does it have a significant difference in listening at low volumes.?

I had no basis of comparison, I never bothered with a 7.2 cause like I said I don't even want a 5.2.

I think 70 or 80 watts @8 ohms that then 520BT has is good enough for me and my living room which is big, about 700sq feet.

If u want more power in same bracket then go for a pioneer or a Yamaha. Same price but lil more power I think.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back