My search for speaker brought me to hifivision

lll_ari_lll

Hello Folks.

Greetings. This is Aritra Mukherjee, one among millions of IT engineers. I am from Calcutta but currently living in Pune.

I'm a person who gets interested on a subject, deep dive into it, go overboard and then lose interest in between. That is the case for all my ventures, except for photography.

Couple years back during college days I got interested in IEMs and did a lot of research, read about it, lurked around different forums, and then that phase was over.

Bought a new 43" 4k TV for the world cup few weeks back. Even though the 40W inbuilt speakers are loud enough for the living room. I am thinking to build a external speaker system. So the research began, and it brought me to this wonderful forum. Back in the day, there was one india's largest technology forum which was pretty active, specially for audio discussions which is pretty dim now.

As I was going through the posts, I really liked the activity and discussions. I will post a separate thread in the appropriate section with my specific requirements. But this post is just to say Hi and express my enthusiasm to be among the audiophiles.

I'm a person who gets interested on a subject, deep dive into it, go overboard and then lose interest in between. That is the case for all my ventures, except for photography.

Hello Aritra,

Good to have you on HFV!!

Well, I'll make sure that you don't lose interest in audio as I will help you with analogies to photography, if and as needed.

There are purists who want to take the recorded sound straight to the amplifier without any processing and from there to speakers analogous to photographers who like their photos straight out of the camera (OOC) without post processing it in Photoshop or Lightroom and without pixel peeping.

Just like you can either be into landscapes, street, portraits, wild-life or sports, you need to understand for your self where you want to be in audio: Stereo or Surround. Of-course, you can choose both and deep dive into one.

You can choose a speaker without a crossover network for all its purity just like prime lenses.

Just like photography, you need to buy into a system (u 4/3, APSC or FF v/s AVR, Discreet components v/s Valves, semiconductor v/s Class-A, Class-AB, Class-D).

Just like your lenses, your speaker system will be your main investment and like your camera body, the amplifier, DSP, DAC will upgrade with time.

But most important:
Just like you should not get into shadow recovery on day one, don't get too bogged down into settings and tweakings.

So let's take it up from here and click some music!

Regards,

Ravindra.

Hello Folks.

Greetings. This is Aritra Mukherjee, one among millions of IT engineers. I am from Calcutta but currently living in Pune.

Couple years back during college days I got interested in IEMs and did a lot of research, read about it, lurked around different forums, and then that phase was over.

Bought a new 43" 4k TV for the world cup few weeks back. Even though the 40W inbuilt speakers are loud enough for the living room. I am thinking to build a external speaker system. So the research began, and it brought me to this wonderful forum. Back in the day, there was one india's largest technology forum which was pretty active, specially for audio discussions which is pretty dim now.

As I was going through the posts, I really liked the activity and discussions. I will post a separate thread in the appropriate section with my specific requirements. But this post is just to say Hi and express my enthusiasm to be among the audiophiles.

Hi.

Welcome to HFV.

I am sure with the background you have, you will be very much engaged in the vast posts of experiences and challenges posted by our Fellow Members (FMs).

Happy Browsing......

Hello Folks.

Hi Aritra,
Welcome to HFV. I am from Pune and would like you to come to my place and listen to my system.

Regards
Dheeraj

Hi.

Welcome to hfv.

Thank you :)

Welcome Aritra. It's a good place, you will learn at lot here.

Thank you. I also hope so. Glad to be here.

Hello Aritra,

Thank you for joining. Welcome to the forum.

Regards.

Thank you Nikhil. :)

Hello Aritra,

Good to have you on HFV!!

Well, I'll make sure that you don't lose interest in audio as I will help you with analogies to photography, if and as needed.

There are purists who want to take the recorded sound straight to the amplifier without any processing and from there to speakers analogous to photographers who like their photos straight out of the camera (OOC) without post processing it in Photoshop or Lightroom and without pixel peeping.

Just like you can either be into landscapes, street, portraits, wild-life or sports, you need to understand for your self where you want to be in audio: Stereo or Surround. Of-course, you can choose both and deep dive into one.

You can choose a speaker without a crossover network for all its purity just like prime lenses.

Just like photography, you need to buy into a system (u 4/3, APSC or FF v/s AVR, Discreet components v/s Valves, semiconductor v/s Class-A, Class-AB, Class-D).

Just like your lenses, your speaker system will be your main investment and like your camera body, the amplifier, DSP, DAC will upgrade with time.

But most important:
Just like you should not get into shadow recovery on day one, don't get too bogged down into settings and tweakings.

So let's take it up from here and click some music!

Regards,

Ravindra.

Loved your analogy. And it is a great point to start. Thank you so much. I have been reading different articles in headfi/stereophiles and other forums for a week now. I want to gradually build an ATMOS HT setup starting with mains. Later adding AVR, SUB, surrounds etc.

Hi.

Welcome to HFV.

I am sure with the background you have, you will be very much engaged in the vast posts of experiences and challenges posted by our Fellow Members (FMs).

Happy Browsing......

Thank you. I intend to be more involved to learn more.

Hi Aritra,
Welcome to HFV. I am from Pune and would like you to come to my place and listen to my system.

Regards
Dheeraj

That would be a pleasure. I would be really grateful. Let us connect and set up a meeting.

Hi Aritra, welcome to the forum. This indeed is a very good forum to learn about AV. Here on this forum u will find many members whose first love is photography and that includes me too. Keep visiting the forum regularly and that will keep u involved in the AV world.

Aritra- Good to know that you love photography and now you are excited to build an audio system around TV. I am making an assumption that it will be primarily used for HT applications where TV is the integral component. There are different ways of going about it but the easiest way would be to try a sound bar system which comprises of a speaker and a subwoofer. The speaker sits just below the TV and the subwoofer being omni directional could be placed any where in the room. These components occupy least amount of real estate and perform relatively well. Some of the reputed vendors are
1. B&W: http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Theatre_Solutions/Panorama_2
2. Paradigm: https://www.paradigm.com/products-current/type=soundbar-powered
3. Sonos: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/playbar.html
There are so many vendors but these links will give you an idea of the product in reference.
If you want a better system as you are more drawn into this hobby then you have to enter into the wonderful world of separates. We will go there when you are ready.

Hi Aritra, welcome to the forum. This indeed is a very good forum to learn about AV. Here on this forum u will find many members whose first love is photography and that includes me too. Keep visiting the forum regularly and that will keep u involved in the AV world.

That's the idea. I think we are already connected in FB right?

Hi Aritra,
Welcome to the forum.

Thank you krish

Aritra- Good to know that you love photography and now you are excited to build an audio system around TV. I am making an assumption that it will be primarily used for HT applications where TV is the integral component. There are different ways of going about it but the easiest way would be to try a sound bar system which comprises of a speaker and a subwoofer. The speaker sits just below the TV and the subwoofer being omni directional could be placed any where in the room. These components occupy least amount of real estate and perform relatively well. Some of the reputed vendors are
1. B&W: http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Theatre_Solutions/Panorama_2
2. Paradigm: https://www.paradigm.com/products-current/type=soundbar-powered
3. Sonos: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/playbar.html
There are so many vendors but these links will give you an idea of the product in reference.
If you want a better system as you are more drawn into this hobby then you have to enter into the wonderful world of separates. We will go there when you are ready.

soundbar is the easiest option, but everywhere I searched, I came upon the impression that soundbars are not equal to a speaker set up, in terms of performance, and also, it limits the option as it is not much use with a AVR and it also doesn't provide a hub to connect separate components.

An off topic question, by any chance, were you with oracle some 10 years back?

Aritra,
No, I did not work in Oracle so far...
Now coming to your point, yes soundbar is a very basic/compact audio system which brings relatively good sound to your room w/o a lot of bells and whistles. It is certainly not the right product if you are planning to build a dedicated Home Theater system. However these sound bars do provide a limited no of digital/analog interfaces such that you can use it as a mini hub. The best way to evaluate this or any audio component, in my opinion, is to listen ideally in your room or at-least in a showroom that has a demo room. I am not sure whether dealers in India offer free home trail for 30 days but this is another way you could evaluate it in your room, if available.

If you are interested in building a dedicated HT system then you have many choices. Here are some of the options for you.

Basic Set Up:
All in one box solution: This is an option which allows you to get into the separates w/o having to do a lot of work in choosing/matching individual components. You might look at Bose, Sony or other similar satellite speaker based systems which work well in a small-medium sized rooms.

Intermediate Set Up:
1. You would buy speakers including subwoofers individually to build a 5.1 or 7.1 channel system. There are so many choices out there and you have to really find the set that sounds great to your ear and of course is within your budget. It would be hard to talk about the specifics w/o knowing your choice and the budget. Also I am not too knowledgeable about the speaker models that are popular in India but I am sure you will get a lot of great suggestions on speakers from this forum. Again look for free home trial if that's available in India.

2. You need to buy a good receiver that supports 4K video and Dolby Atmos decoding. Some of the popular brands are Marantz, Onkyo, Sony, Yamaha, Emotiva, etc.

3. You need Good speaker, power, interconnect and HDMI cables to connect your components

4. You also need a good power strip to connect all the components to a main AC power outlet

Advanced Set Up:
1. Same as above for the speakers
2. You need to buy a Surround pre-processor/ pre-amplifier which would connect to an amplifiers or a set of amplifiers. Popular choices are Bryston, Marantz, NAD, Emotiva, etc
3. Then you need power amplifiers which will drive the speakers. Typically folks prefer multi-channel(5/7) power amplifiers for HT system. Popular choices are Parasound, Bryston, NAD, Rotel, Emotiva, etc
4. Cable/Power strip requirements remain same as above

Pro Set Up:
1. All the items covered under Advanced section
2. Power Isolation device
3. Room acoustics products

A lot of these choices are generics because as you move from basic to pro the key component in getting a good sound is the selection of components that match your room and system synergy. Unfortunately this is something only you have to build by spending time auditioning various audio components. But if you are in this hobby you would certainly enjoy the effort.

Hope this helps.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back