My Setup-YAMAHA A-S2000 with PSB SYNCHRONY

And finally nail on the head action was done by Mr REUBENSM. He drove all the way from one end of Trivendrum to other
to check the amplifier, whether it is in mint condition(DEMO piece) as claimed by seller. As he confirmed , deal was struck.

Its always a pleasure to be of help. The seller was quite a good chap and very enthusiastic even though he is a dealer. I really enjoyed checking out the Yamaha amp as I have never seen or heard one before.

Thanks to all for reading my experience..

right now two components are missing from my rig-

1)Tuner-Preferably NAD -402 or 412 , possible only after my next trip to Europe

2) Noise eliminator-Getting a isolation transformer. My bedroom refrigerator (small for you know why;)) creates noise in the electrical signal and it is very much audible as harshness from the system when its on. So getting a isolation transformer made by local factory.

Hi dhiraj
Can you explain further in detail how the refrigator induced noise affects your setup

How did you conclude that harshness is due to noise induced in electricity by refrigator

Not questioning your knowledge. Want to learn from your experience

Thanks

@rikhav...it is simple to know by switching on and off fridge. actually there was some harshness in sound and upon contacting yamaha..they told me that there is some component which is inducing noise in power line..so try switching ..component on and off and see if it makes difference...so tried and got the result...anyway searching on the net for this phenomena i discovered many things...and isoltation transformers are best in this category...and medical isolation transformers are readymade options..however i am getting it made locally...which is very much cheaper than power conditioners supplied by audio companies..

You store midgets in your bedroom refrigerator???
Sorry, couldn't resist!
:lol::lol::lol:

hehehe...I do not have that kind of SHAUK ..by the way..

single malt,Beers...so you dont need big fridge , when you already have one in kitchen.

Sipping single malt for longer duration has different kind of enjoyment..
I keep my glass inside the fridge again after one sip...
so now you can relate..

Update-

constant voltage stabilizer has been bought and this has eliminated the noise completely. Reason behind purchasing CVT is, recommendation given by PRO-AUDIO professionals. They claim CVT is the best. Only drawback is humming sound produced by CVT, which can be rectified by putting CVT in another room.

In the first post name DENON should actually be read DENOM :)
yes..this is the same guy....many of us know him as JD or Dave..
those who want to start the journey can bank upon him for suggestion for audio
gears..

Cheers
Dheeraj

Congrats dheeraj on the as2000 amp.I have this amp since 2 years and it is great. But this amp is very sensitive to voltage fluctuations and will go into protect mode if very low or high voltage comes so be sure to use a very good voltage regulator with it. I am using APC 1500bg back ups pro ups with this. Hope u have some good voltage regulator or servo otherwise get it asap and protect your amp

Hi Rupinder,

I encountered the same situation two or three times when the voltage dipped, almost all the times whenever an AC compressor kicked on (An older kirloskar compressor), this is when I have a separate line from the mains for the audio. I got a 5KVA servo in the line before the power transformer and it has happened only once more after that when there was a major drop, unrelated to the AC.

It happened to me only once after the APC was installed when I forget to switch off the amp and the APC battery back off became zero and it switched off. I downloaded the service manual from net and did a factory reset of the amp

AFAIK, the XLRs in AS2000 are configured to match with the CDP, which is why you maybe getting better results compared to RCAs...with other equipment, you may need to use an attenuater to match...

I have heard the same and the owners booklet also mentions that it is mated to the CDP. Having said that the sound from the RCA's was also so good that i forgot to use the xlr's for 8-9 months.

I had also thought about buying a DAC but the combination was good enough for me not to go down that route.

I did try a well regarded tube pre amplifier in the chain and tested it in the pure direct mode but returned the tube pre as it did not add anything major to the sound except the warmth, with the additional drawback of having to use RCA connections.

It happened to me only once after the APC was installed when I forget to switch off the amp and the APC battery back off became zero and it switched off. I downloaded the service manual from net and did a factory reset of the amp

Ooo... in my case I turned it off and turned it on and it worked... didn't have to do anything else..

Mine did not start after switching it off. It went into protect mode and I had to do a factory reset.u will know when it is in protect mode as when the power light keeps on blinking

I can only surmise that this must be the result of Yamaha's revolutionary fully balanced circuitry design. I found myself scratching my head and
saying "There is NO way this is a 90 WPC RMS amplifier!".

Actually it is the other cos that are stingy with their power supplies. The S2000's power supply is an honest one and that's what gives it the headroom.

@hydra..absolutely true for CD2000..for that time when it was introduced....

Hi, I just ran into this thread (I don't visit HFV very often). I happen to have 2 S2000 amps and I agree with Dherraj that these amps are quite good (ok I have heard better but for the money - I paid 75k each for mine - these amps are VFM).

That said, I would hesitate to add that I believe that the amp can do better with speakers that are a step up from the PSBs and I don't mean towers like the HECO's Celan GT 902, B&W's CM8 or KEF's Q900 or Monitor Audio's PL300 etc. but I believe the amp shines best with monitors from companies such as Sonus Faber, PMC, etc.

You can add an external crossover, send the pre out to the crossover, and from the crossover send the LF to a pair of good subs and return the HF to the amp to drive the monitors. The S2000 will shine more if it is absolved from doing bass duties as it's mids can be very liquid. My 2 cents.

I know this as I was playing around with the amp having it drive some SEAS Excel 5" and 6" mids in an open baffle while it was laying around and the carpenter was building my speakers. I ran a Pearl Lite to the S2000 and then via a passive band pass filter to the Excel mids on a 36" wide baffle (open) and it made me jump (near field monitoring).

It has the ability to be very realistic in the mid-hf region. Don't underestimate this amp.

Last edited:
Mine did not start after switching it off. It went into protect mode and I had to do a factory reset.u will know when it is in protect mode as when the power light keeps on blinking

Ya mine also went into blink mode but came out after switching off.

Update-

Introduced CNC phonostage. Initially there was no improvement over my amp's phono but with burning, it has now improved so much that my TT started singing with good amount of high frequencies and overall improvement is much obvious .
Thanks to Sachin and Mishrajee for getting built me this.

I would recommend every TT lover to introduce this phono stage in their chain. since it is within 5k and can beat any phono stage 10 times its cost.

Update:

Introduced Pathos Twin Tower anniversary edition Integrated Amplifier,
Though got for some weeks may be months along with Theta DAC.
Please see the pictures attached. Speakers are in their resting position.
System is now miles ahead sonically and in terms of musicality.

This amp seems smaller but heavy with 40-45 Kg weight and despite 35WPC , it punches way above its weight and current availability is in ample quantity that you can literally feel slam and its vibration.
Now I have realized that I wont buy class AB amps again in life.
There is no alternative to class-A. YMMV

Anyway, one more toy and I will be kicked out from home :)

Last edited:
awesome pix, dheeraj! the amp looks beautiful.
does it dissipate a lot of heat at full throttle? do post your listening impressions.

guess the (sonic) fireworks will be happening indoors this Diwali! :) enjoy!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back