My terrible experience with the Invention Audio power conditioner

Just trying to understand - why do you require a power conditioner in the first place? Do you live very close to a factory or a distribution transformer nearby or some RF generator, mobile tower etc. Or lots of motors operating on the same line corrupting your AC line? Have you tried listening with no power conditioner vs one? Looking for answers?
It’s a rented flat in Bombay and I wasn’t sure of the electrical wiring when I moved in - the landlord won’t allow inspection or alteration. You’re probably right; it’s quite likely the amps will function perfectly fine plugged into the mains. I thought getting a conditioner/spike protector would keep things safe.

Final update: IA got in touch a few hours after my earlier post and offered to refund the amount I paid, which they’ve done. The unit is going back to Hyderabad. Thanks everyone, for your support. Much appreciated.

From what I read on their site the Power Conditioner is Not a Voltage Stabiliser.

Its a PASSIVE mains filter with probably some surge suppression capability. It is primarily meant to Filter mains noise.

Hence if your mains input voltage goes to 260 VAC and stays their even for a second or more the unit's output voltage will be exactly the same as the input voltage. ( This is like ANY OTHER surge suppressor / spike suppressor) .

If you want to CONTROL the continious output voltage, you need a Voltage Stabiliser ... either a Servo Voltage Stabiliser or Step voltage stabiliser.

The PS Audio dectet that you are currently using is an ACTIVE mains conditioner with a microprocessor that continiously monitors the mains & cuts off the power if the voltage exceeds its specified limit. Even the PS Audio Dectet is NOT a voltage stabiliser.

Last edited:

From what I read on their site the Power Conditioner is Not a Voltage Stabiliser.

Its a mains filter & probably a surge suppressor.

Hence if your mains input voltage goes to 260 VAC and stays their even for a second or more the unit's output voltage will be exactly the same as the input voltage. ( This is like ANY OTHER surge suppressor / spike suppressor) .

If you want to CONTROL the continious output voltage, you need a Voltage Stabiliser ... either a Servo Voltage Stabiliser or Step voltage stabiliser.
Yes. I have seen the internals from whatever was posted by a user in this forum. It is basically one EMI filter with individual Metal Oxide Varistors for each of the outputs to protect from high voltage.

Yes. I have seen the internals from whatever was posted by a user in this forum. It is basically one EMI filter with individual Metal Oxide Varistors for each of the outputs to protect from high voltage.
I am not sure by looking at the inside if they have tried to calculate, simulate or measure resonances that this device will produce - let alone robbing the music of energy and dynamics. Look like many electrolytic capacitors are used and that could increase resonance at the harmonic frequency and could impede negatively with the load. Maybe these devices are good for inductive loads like fan not for active loads like amplifiers.

I was visiting a friend over the weekend. Never knew he’s running a Servo Stabilizer so wanted to check. The input voltage was around 260. This was in a medium sized apartment complex around 8:30pm on a Sunday.
9032B262-8745-4E86-AD8C-E66ACDECA154.jpeg

I have been running the IA V1 conditioner for the past 2.5yrs without a stabilizer. But after the mishap at Jai’s I barely turn on the system anymore.

Today my Vertex stabilizer (that I use for TV/AVR/Apple TV) is showing input voltage beyond 272v!! Intermittently it displays “Hi” and cuts off the power.

AFAIK the IA conditioner can handle instantaneous surge up to 275 (don’t quote me on it). But not continuous. I’m now scared to even turn on the system until the voltage settles or I get a Servo.

That being said, based on the original post it seems like the conditioner worked ok for a while. If it’s a design issue it should go bust on first use? So I’m skeptical whether it was at fault. Most likely it could be due to a surge.

Last edited:
The voltage numbers reported in this thread are scary.

Is there a modified voltmeter like device that can display voltage by plugging into a socket that can be bought off the shelf from amazon for cheap? Will be useful to many. Please post link if you know of any.

As I see, people hardly get 220v once in a while and high voltage seem to be the norm. Without measuring, will keep us wondering.

Edit:
Aisence DM55-1 EU Plug Digital LCD Display AC 80-300V Voltage Tester Voltmeter https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07SZPV2GV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_RQP3DRJW3MSHWDJ75Z3M

This one looks good but it has EU plug and is costly for what it is.

Last edited:
<snip>
Is there a modified voltmeter like device that can display voltage by plugging into a socket that can be bought off the shelf from amazon for cheap? Will be useful to many. Please post link if you know of any.
<snip>
Get a simple digital multi-meter. It costs about 500-1000 rupees.
Pretty useful to have around the home, specially if one is into this hobby.
Cheers,
Raghu

From my own tragic experience many years back, please have some kind of voltage protection for your systems. And please know that spike protectors and conditioners and power filters are different. And stabilisers are different. Anyone running their systems straight to the wall is always taking a chance. Some haven't been hit so far, doesn't mean you won't be hit in the future. I have a 14,000 usd door stop today, due to a power surge hit. Fondly hope none of you have to endure my pain.

From my own tragic experience many years back, please have some kind of voltage protection for your systems. And please know that spike protectors and conditioners and power filters are different. And stabilisers are different. Anyone running their systems straight to the wall is always taking a chance. Some haven't been hit so far, doesn't mean you won't be hit in the future. I have a 14,000 usd door stop today, due to a power surge hit. Fondly hope none of you have to endure my pain.
What did you lose in that Power Surge ?

I was visiting a friend over the weekend. Never knew he’s running a Servo Stabilizer so wanted to check. The input voltage was around 260. This was in a medium sized apartment complex around 8:30pm on a Sunday.
View attachment 65719

I have been running the IA V1 conditioner for the past 2.5yrs without a stabilizer. But after the mishap at Jai’s I barely turn on the system anymore.

Today my Vertex stabilizer (that I use for TV/AVR/Apple TV) is showing input voltage beyond 272v!! Intermittently it displays “Hi” and cuts off the power.

AFAIK the IA conditioner can handle instantaneous surge up to 275 (don’t quote me on it). But not continuous. I’m now scared to even turn on the system until the voltage settles or I get a Servo.

That being said, based on the original post it seems like the conditioner worked ok for a while. If it’s a design issue it should go bust on first use? So I’m skeptical whether it was at fault. Most likely it could be due to a surge.

I feel very lucky the Invention conditioner didn’t have to deal with any serious surges past 2+ years. But after last week’s drama added a Servo today. Some peace of mind now :D

I feel very lucky the Invention conditioner didn’t have to deal with any serious surges past 2+ years. But after last week’s drama added a Servo today. Some peace of mind now :D
Is the servo before or after the conditioner? If the conditioner is malfunctioning and going to send spikes, then having a servo upstream is not going to help. It appears that is what happened in the OP's case.
Cheers,
Sid

Is the servo before or after the conditioner? If the conditioner is malfunctioning and going to send spikes, then having a servo upstream is not going to help. It appears that is what happened in the OP's case.
Cheers,
Sid
Makes no sense having servo after the conditioner. Apparently OP was initially happy with the conditioner. Of course I can’t be 100% sure but based on what is written IMO it could be a surge that damaged the conditioner and unfortunately equipment down the line. I guess a third party should check the conditioner.

I am intrigued by all FMs using so much of power conditioner etc. I am eager to see if I can actually these so called imagined electric / RF noise from the speakers.

In my home there is a flourcent tubelight from 1998 which has the chokes humming audible a lot when turned on. Even though all my audio is connected to the same line I can't hear a trace of hum from my speakers. Still wondering.

Disconnect all your appliances in the house from the TV to the WiFi to the microwave to the fridge, etc etc, and listen. See if you can hear a difference. If you can’t you are good :)

Normally I disconnect one by one and see if I can hear a difference. Wherever I can hear a difference, I put a filter on that appliance and prevent EMI/RF trash coming back into the line. I have 4 filters in my house on appliances/gadgets which I thought affected sound the most. I don’t use any filter on my audio equipment.

Disconnect all your appliances in the house from the TV to the WiFi to the microwave to the fridge, etc etc, and listen. See if you can hear a difference. If you can’t you are good :)

Normally I disconnect one by one and see if I can hear a difference. Wherever I can hear a difference, I put a filter on that appliance and prevent EMI/RF trash coming back into the line. I have 4 filters in my house on appliances/gadgets which I thought affected sound the most. I don’t use any filter on my audio equipment.

What filter?
Can you post a link to it?

NQN AC Line Filter from Array Solutions. It’s basically used by Ham Operators so it’s like almost complete RF proof. They don’t seem to be making the model I have. So check with them what replacement they have. It’s not audiophile stuff :)

I have used since last 5 years vertex 15kva 3 phase for total house, and Vertex Audio servo stabilizer 5kva for my audio system with EMI filter & surge protector installed by vertex. Also I used 5kva isolation transformer (TOPAZ). You can find EMI filters on: www.emisindia.com mail: [email protected] Ph: 9448309486

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back