My terrible experience with the Invention Audio power conditioner

I'd been on the lookout for a good power conditioner to replace my ageing Rontek and thought I'd give the Hyderabad-based Invention Audio a try because I heard good things about what they do - I decided against the AudioQuest PowerQuest and the PS Audio Dectet only so I could give an Indian-made product the benefit of the doubt. It turns out I made a terrible mistake. I didn't get to use the the conditioner for too long as I had to move base to Delhi for a project, but when I did plug it in for sustained listening, my power amplifier began to clip and went into safe mode. It took more than a month for the technicians to figure out what the problem was, and after they ordered parts from Colorado, fixed the amplifier and inserted it back into my audio chain, the preamplifier developed exactly the same problem. I had them examine the Invention Audio power conditioner and was told that it was sending out spikes, causing damage to the power section of the amplifiers. I'm now looking at a significant repairs bill (not to mention four months spent listening to a Bluetooth speaker). I've replaced the IA power conditioner with a PS Audio Dectet.

Sorry to know your experience with the product. IMO, power conditioners are never needed for any power amplifiers and seldom required for any pre-amplifiers unless you are living near a power house. They usually create lots of problem than solving any because of their internal series and parallel resonance and also rob the powerlines of their transients and harmonics. Better to totally avoid them if possible. This is my own personal experience. YMMV.

Sorry to know your experience with the product. IMO, power conditioners are never needed for any power amplifiers and seldom required for any pre-amplifiers unless you are living near a power house. They usually create lots of problem than solving any because of their internal series and parallel resonance and also rob the powerlines of their transients and harmonics. Better to totally avoid them if possible. This is my own personal experience. YMMV.
+1

I'd been on the lookout for a good power conditioner to replace my ageing Rontek and thought I'd give the Hyderabad-based Invention Audio a try because I heard good things about what they do - I decided against the AudioQuest PowerQuest and the PS Audio Dectet only so I could give an Indian-made product the benefit of the doubt. It turns out I made a terrible mistake. I didn't get to use the the conditioner for too long as I had to move base to Delhi for a project, but when I did plug it in for sustained listening, my power amplifier began to clip and went into safe mode. It took more than a month for the technicians to figure out what the problem was, and after they ordered parts from Colorado, fixed the amplifier and inserted it back into my audio chain, the preamplifier developed exactly the same problem. I had them examine the Invention Audio power conditioner and was told that it was sending out spikes, causing damage to the power section of the amplifiers. I'm now looking at a significant repairs bill (not to mention four months spent listening to a Bluetooth speaker). I've replaced the IA power conditioner with a PS Audio Dectet.
Sad to hear, im using RONTEK so far so good.

Do you have a voltmeter? Can you measure the voltage. Lately too many equipments in my neighbourhood have been conking off. Mostly tv sets. The voltage across India is now usually above 240 volts. I too had few PS units in various equipments blowing. Now I don't use anything without a voltage stabilizer

Am using a Furman one. It was bought from one of our group member.
I bought it because one service technician suggested it. According to him it is a necessary equipment for our audio chain.
Still am happy with it.

Scary to hear this Jaideep, first principle of any audio equipment should be "Do no Harm". Sad to see shortcuts even in this. Also kudos to you for your warning. This post/thread should be made a sticky to warn others.
Anyways on the bright side, good that you troubleshot it before connecting repaired equipment/or new equipment.
Cheers,
Sid
Do you have a voltmeter? Can you measure the voltage. Lately too many equipments in my neighbourhood have been conking off. Mostly tv sets. The voltage across India is now usually above 240 volts. I too had few PS units in various equipments blowing. Now I don't use anything without a voltage stabilizer
I have 4 vertex servo stabilizers (these guys make stabilizers for the most sensitive of commercial equipment that cost many multiples of the most expensive audio systems in this forum) spread around all my systems for the past decade. Touch - wood no issues with any equipment. There are so many discussions of isolation x-formers, non- servo stabilizers, servo stabilizers are too slow - make noise this - that- blah blah., for sound quality. Sound quality be damned, safety of my equipment is first priority. Else what would I listen to? In Hyderabad if you connect any audio equipment to unprotected outlets - it may last 1 week max., after that it will be an expensive paper weight or a door stop.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited by a moderator:
I almost daily measure my line voltage and here are my current readings - Location - Thane, Maharashtra. Multi-meter - Meco True RMS.
Mornings around 10AM - 234VAC
Evenings around 6PM - 244VAC
Nights around 12 midnight - 255VAC
Nights around 2AM - 265VAC

I typically listen music almost daily between 10PM to 11PM and occasionally watch TV and never had any issues with equipment failing due to this. All my equipment are directly plugged into the wall outlet without any thing in-between.

<snip>
safety of my equipment is first priority
<snip>
Very true. If one can afford and host Vertex or similar equipment they should.
These are used widely in industry for stabilizing power for sensitive equipment.
I added one last year. No difference in sound quality whatsoever.
Peace of mind that all AV stuff is wired to 230V/50Hz.
Cheers,
Raghu

Peace of mind that all AV stuff is wired to 230V/50Hz.
Cheers,
Raghu
Well said Raghu, peace of mind is priceless imo. In that frame of mind (peace) even the worst equipment will sound better than the best mainly because it will be playing music, rather than lying dead.
Cheers,
Sid

When you have expensive equipment it is imperative to have protection against over voltage and surge. All you need to ensure is that the total load factor is accounted for while buying the regulator or power conditioner.

I haven’t talked to them yet. My priority is to get music back into the house. I should have the amplifiers next week, hopefully.

With due respect sir, I would have been furious at the Invention Audio guys and find it strange that you have not even contacted them yet with your findings.. Do keep us posted about their response...

This post is scary, especially when the OP lives in Mumbai which is suppose to have clean power. I have used Monster Power Center in the past for my Hi-Fi stuff & now use Supra Lorad power strip. Touch wood till now all is good but this is scary for sure. PS Audio Dectet is good but i needed one with Schuko sockets as most of our Hifi gear over here come in that plug, Dectet is only UK plugs when i enquired few years back.

With due respect sir, I would have been furious at the Invention Audio guys and find it strange that you have not even contacted them yet with your findings.. Do keep us posted about their response...
I’m most certainly furious. Doubly so because I have no bills or a promise of warranty, and the cost of repairs is not insignificant. This was a transaction conducted on faith, which I now deeply regret. I will take this up with them once my music is in place. I’ll post their response here in time.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back