My Top Ten Albums...

hi hitensitapara,

can you mail me the theme from shaft too? [email protected]. i have the verson by the ventures.

deep purple - machine head, in rock, fireball, stormbringer, burn
floyd - relics, love it much much more than dark side and wall. syd barrett rocked
rainbow - rainbow. does it get better than temple of the king???
jeff beck - if you think clapton rocks listen to his bandmate in the yardbirds. clapton is more commercial. jeff beck is more like hendrix re-inventing stuff
jimi hendrix - all :D
joe satriani - surfing with the alien
janis joplin - 3 cd compilation
jefferson airplane -
jethro tull - all
led zeppelin - led zep, I, II, III and IV
Queen - all
Grateful Dead - American Beauty, Workingman's Dead
Iron Maiden - Number of the beast, Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Seventh son of a seventh son
The Ventures - all
The Animals
Alice Cooper -Hey Stoopid

Hi Moser,

I definitely recommend John Mayer - Where the Light is: Its a double album (fantastic quality live recording with outstanding songs).

I also recommend that you listen to both Shakti & Bikram Ghosh in the fusion category. There will be no looking back.

You seem to have a fantistic collection. No doubt a true music connoiseur :)

Impossible to restrict myself to Top 10 - a Top 50 would be more like it. Anyway, here goes :-

First off thanks for sharing, much appreciated. I am sure the same problem with everyone including myself. Still I am hoping this is a way we can gain exposure to other artists/albums. Much better to go with someone's recommendation from here rather than invest on a CD and find out I don't like it, what say.

Coming to the artists/albums you've listed you're spot on with Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan, Led Zeppelin, Grateful Dead, Dire Straits, Deep Purple and The Beatles. I have most (if not all) of their works. I like some of the really old stuff from Simon & Garfunkel like Mrs. Robinson and Bridge Over Troubled Water, but other instances find them too plain Jane or too sugary sweet to my liking. Not exposure to Uriah Heep and The Who, love the album Aqualung.

I find mostly you prefer rock groups that are from the 1970s or before. How about some of the newer ones like Bon Jovi, GNR, Def Leppard, Aerosmith? You should (if you have not) give Van Halen a try. Amazing rock group and great guitar work. Another rock group with great music and guitar work is The Scorpions. Love them.

1. Pink Floyd - According to me, the Badshahs [Dark Side..., Wall, Animals, Final Cut, Wish You .., Meddle, Atom Heart...]
2. Simon & Garfunkel - I'm surprised no one mentioned them [Bridge Over...., Parsley Sage ...., Sounds of Silence, Bookends]
3. Bob Dylan - Simply cant exclude him [Greatest Hits (single CD) and Biograph (3 CD set) would be a good starting point]
4. Led Zeppelin - Plant & Page would walk into any hall of fame [Remasters double CD set]
5. Jethro Tull [Aqualung, Thick as a Brick (single song of 45 mins !!!), Songs from the Wood, Heavy Horses]
6. Grateful Dead [American Beauty, Terrapin Station]
7. Dire Straits [Love Over Gold, Making Movies, Brothers in Arms]
8. The Who [Tommy, Quadrophenia]
9. Deep Purple [Greatest Hits]
10. Uriah Heep [Greatest Hits]
11. Beatles [1]
Whew !! I could go on and on.....

Hi Moser,

I definitely recommend John Mayer - Where the Light is: Its a double album (fantastic quality live recording with outstanding songs).

Thanks. Will surely pick it up this weekend if I can locate it at Music World or others.

I also recommend that you listen to both Shakti & Bikram Ghosh in the fusion category. There will be no looking back.

Have heard great things about Bikram Ghosh, but never really heard him at any length. Will start with his work ASAP.

You seem to have a fantistic collection. No doubt a true music connoiseur :)

Ha ha. Not a connoisseur my friend, but I will admit music gives me great, great pleasure. I've been hooked since I was a kid when I heard LP records played at home. My dad was a bit of a DIY enthusiast and made his own speakers, speaker boxes, etc. He is an engineer by profession so I guess it's in his blood. I've had music coming out of my ears right from when I was born you can say.

1. ABBA- Greatest Hits-I&II, The Arrival.
2. Boney-M - Take the heat off me, Night Flight to Venus, Oceans of Fantasy.
3. The Beegees - Greatest Hits.
4. Giorgio Moroder - From Here to Eternity, E=MC2.
5. Donna Summers - Bad Girls,
6. Michael Jackson - Thriller , Bad
7. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon.
8. AlanParsons Project- Vulture Culture
9. Police - Zenyatta Mondatta, Synchronocity
10 Huey Lewis- Small world.

The albums quoted are all from Western Pop.
In Indian Film Music my fav is Ilaiyaraaja( all songs)

N Murali.
Excellent choice of artistes/bands and albums.Iwould add Regatta du Blanc by the Police and Ammonia Avenue by APP.Cheers,
Sanjay

moserw,

great thread, it is difficult to grade the albums. But definitely i will put in the groups and their best

black sabbath,

Led zep

deep purple

Guns n roses

dire straits

Santana

Scorpions

Bon jovi

the last one will be Rainbow, whitesnake, U2 and Journey so on.

Super choice of groups.How about Uriah Heap,Deff Leppard,Wishbone Ash and The Who.Cheers,
Sanjay

Impossible to restrict myself to Top 10 - a Top 50 would be more like it. Anyway, here goes :-

1. Pink Floyd - According to me, the Badshahs [Dark Side..., Wall, Animals, Final Cut, Wish You .., Meddle, Atom Heart...]
2. Simon & Garfunkel - I'm surprised no one mentioned them [Bridge Over...., Parsley Sage ...., Sounds of Silence, Bookends]
3. Bob Dylan - Simply cant exclude him [Greatest Hits (single CD) and Biograph (3 CD set) would be a good starting point]
4. Led Zeppelin - Plant & Page would walk into any hall of fame [Remasters double CD set]
5. Jethro Tull [Aqualung, Thick as a Brick (single song of 45 mins !!!), Songs from the Wood, Heavy Horses]
6. Grateful Dead [American Beauty, Terrapin Station]
7. Dire Straits [Love Over Gold, Making Movies, Brothers in Arms]
8. The Who [Tommy, Quadrophenia]
9. Deep Purple [Greatest Hits]
10. Uriah Heep [Greatest Hits]
11. Beatles [1]
Whew !! I could go on and on.....

It seems that our musical tastes are virtually identical.Can't add anything to your list --- except possibly CSNY and The Stones.Cheers,
Sanjay

hi hitensitapara,

can you mail me the theme from shaft too? [email protected]. i have the verson by the ventures.

floyd - relics, love it much much more than dark side and wall. syd barrett rocked
jeff beck - if you think clapton rocks listen to his bandmate in the yardbirds. clapton is more commercial. jeff beck is more like hendrix re-inventing stuff
jefferson airplane -
jethro tull - all
Queen - all
Iron Maiden - Number of the beast, Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Seventh son of a seventh son
The Ventures - all
The Animals

Another fantastic line up. Wow, another Ventures fan !!!! Unbelievable.Would only add 'Schools Out'by Alice Cooper to your list. Cheers,
Sanjay

Good to hear that our tastes match, Sanjay. I must be doing something right !!

I forgot to mention that I also listen to Rolling Stones - Singles Collection: The London Years (3 CD set) as also CSNY - Greatest Hits. Just slipped my mind.

In fact, I can also add a few more :-
Mark Knopfler [Sailing to Philadelphia, Shangri-La, Neck and Neck (collaboration with Chet Atkins)]
The Doors [The Best of - 2 CD set]

BTW, has anybody heard the song Aischa by a band called Outlandish ?? Great stuff !!

hi hitensitapara,

jefferson airplane -
jethro tull - all
Queen - all
The Ventures - all
The Animals

Thanks Stevieboy for sharing. Now I've learnt The Ventures too did the Shaft Theme. Have heard a bit of The Ventures, but not much. I have a lot of tapes from The Shawdows in the instrumental genre. You should check them out, all instrumental like The Ventures and awesome music too. I will venture more into The ventures myself. Our musical tastes are pretty similar too. Of special mention are Rainbow (not many have heard of them or hear them) and ditto for Jeff Beck, but I like Eric Clapton too (have all his albums). My other favorite guitarists are Mark Knopfler, Chet Atkins (his Guitar Man album is a must have), Jimi Hendrix, Joe Satriani (unfortunately have all his albums, but as MP3 rips so need to start collecting his CDs I guess), Carlos Santana (he is poles apart), B.B. King among others. I'm sure more are there but only these are coming to mind right now. Jefferson Airplane is another great act. Not much into Janis Joplin though. Alice Cooper, well not much into him either. Honestly, I've never heard or run into The Animals. Just now started reading up on them on Wikipedia. Let's see if I can source some of their work.

moser,

an excellent way to check new artists out without buying is to search for them on youtube. then you get a feel of what they sound like. check out 'house of the rising sun' by the animals. yeah santana too. have all the cds except the current releases and most of the early ones on lp. chet atkins is good too! you must hear 'sneakin around' him and mark knopfler. also jj cale a great guy. joan baez too is lovely.

Hai Moserw,

For Fusion my recommendations are :

How to name it? - Ilaiyaraaja
Nothing but wind?- -do-
Indian Express - Dr.L.Subramaniam.

Western Classical with Synth sounds:

Classics in the air - (All Vols)- Paul Mauriat.

Thanks,

N.Murali.

Hai Moserw,

For Fusion my recommendations are :

How to name it? - Ilaiyaraaja
Nothing but wind?- -do-
Indian Express - Dr.L.Subramaniam.

Western Classical with Synth sounds:

Classics in the air - (All Vols)- Paul Mauriat.

Thanks,

N.Murali.

Thanks, will check them out. Hopefully, Music World and/or others will stock them. I like Ilaiyaraaja a lot, but very little of his work is available here especially in Tamil music.

Hi

The maxim that 'everything changes' is applicable to taste in Music as well.When you are young, your music tastes are turned towards upfront, energetic, expressive, ( may be explosive) kind of music.When you grow old, maturity sets in and you look for more 'soul stirring' experience , try to experiment, improvise and the journey goes on... However, it may be possible that in this long jouney you might dig out some blast from the trash of the past as well ( may be out of nostalgia).

Here goes my top ten albums that are currently dear to me !
(not necessarily in that order )

1.Return to Forever- Hymn of 7th Galaxy -JazzRock fusion

2.Herbie Hancock-The New Standard-Blues

3.Yellow Jacket-Blue Hats-New Age Jazz

4.Best of Abdulla Ibrahim-New Age Jazz

5.The Kind of Blue-Miles Davis-Blues

6.David Beniot-Letter to Evan-New Age Jazz

7.The Best of Weather Report-JazzRock Fusion

8.Chick Corea-Akoustic Band-JazzRock fusion

9.In a Silent Way-Miles Davis-Jazz Rock Fusion

10.Lee Retenour-Earth Run-New Age Jazz

As I said earlier, the above choice may be Ephemeral, not Perennial

(I recommend (i) mild dose of Whiskey/Wine as a good combination with the above music to reinforce ecstacy except serial no 5 which is addictive as such (ii) Albums 1 and 7 are suggested to be heard in the morning, rest only in the evening !)

Now I am run out of Numbers ! But I have to mention two gems from the past,

1. Jesus Christ Superstar -Rock opera (Voice of Jesus is rendered by Ian Gillan of Deep Purple fame deep rich voice)
2. Iron Maiden-Somewhere back in Time-Best of -Rock (A little bit of Grass with this music would will really take you back in Time !)

Disclaimer: Alcohol/Drug use may be harmful for your health. Please consult your doctor before using at your risk !

moser,

an excellent way to check new artists out without buying is to search for them on youtube. then you get a feel of what they sound like. check out 'house of the rising sun' by the animals. yeah santana too. have all the cds except the current releases and most of the early ones on lp. chet atkins is good too! you must hear 'sneakin around' him and mark knopfler. also jj cale a great guy. joan baez too is lovely.

Stevieboy,

Any specific channel to check? Not much into YouTube, so don't have much idea about where to start.

Hi

The maxim that 'everything changes' is applicable to taste in Music as well.When you are young, your music tastes are turned towards upfront, energetic, expressive, ( may be explosive) kind of music.When you grow old, maturity sets in and you look for more 'soul stirring' experience , try to experiment, improvise and the journey goes on... However, it may be possible that in this long jouney you might dig out some blast from the trash of the past as well ( may be out of nostalgia).

Hi VJC and thanks for sharing. So true what you say about everything changes. I started with Madonna, but can hardly hear her now except the last one which I liked Hung Up which does entice you to dance. Hard rock/metal are other genres which I heard a lot in my teens, but not so much now. Even rap has gone somewhere from my collection it seems...

Here goes my top ten albums that are currently dear to me !
(not necessarily in that order )

1.Return to Forever- Hymn of 7th Galaxy -JazzRock fusion

2.Herbie Hancock-The New Standard-Blues

3.Yellow Jacket-Blue Hats-New Age Jazz

4.Best of Abdulla Ibrahim-New Age Jazz

5.The Kind of Blue-Miles Davis-Blues

6.David Beniot-Letter to Evan-New Age Jazz

7.The Best of Weather Report-JazzRock Fusion

8.Chick Corea-Akoustic Band-JazzRock fusion

9.In a Silent Way-Miles Davis-Jazz Rock Fusion

10.Lee Retenour-Earth Run-New Age Jazz

As I said earlier, the above choice may be Ephemeral, not Perennial

(I recommend (i) mild dose of Whiskey/Wine as a good combination with the above music to reinforce ecstacy except serial no 5 which is addictive as such (ii) Albums 1 and 7 are suggested to be heard in the morning, rest only in the evening !)

Now I am run out of Numbers ! But I have to mention two gems from the past,

1. Jesus Christ Superstar -Rock opera (Voice of Jesus is rendered by Ian Gillan of Deep Purple fame deep rich voice)
2. Iron Maiden-Somewhere back in Time-Best of -Rock (A little bit of Grass with this music would will really take you back in Time !)

Disclaimer: Alcohol/Drug use may be harmful for your health. Please consult your doctor before using at your risk !

I note that you are more into jazz, well I've not heard all of the artists/albums listed by you, but I have heard/have Herbie Hancock, Miles Davis, Weather Report, and Chick Corea. Have not heard the others, but I will try to source the albums you've listed.

Jesus Christ Superstar, well not much into opera. Have heard lots of good things about it, but never got an opportunity to catch up on it. Hopefully soon...

Iron Maiden, I have the album Fear of the Dark (a part of my early teens/growing up era). Have not heard much of their other albums, but will order the Best Of compilation you've listed.

Once again, thanks for sharing!

Stevieboy,

Any specific channel to check? Not much into YouTube, so don't have much idea about where to start.

simply visit YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. and in the search link at the top of the page enter the artist you want to check out with song title optional. eg - the animals house of the rising sun and you'll get videos on the artist along with a listing of other videos uploaded on the artist. so basically you'll get an idea of most of the popular songs by a band. also when you select a video you'll see below it posts by viewers who've commented on the video so that gives you a cross section of opinion some valid some moronic but interesting reading nevertheless.

you should check out this young korean kid playing classical guitar. he plays mission impossible theme and other classical pieces. 'sungha jung'.

regards

simply visit YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. and in the search link at the top of the page enter the artist you want to check out with song title optional. eg - the animals house of the rising sun and you'll get videos on the artist along with a listing of other videos uploaded on the artist. so basically you'll get an idea of most of the popular songs by a band. also when you select a video you'll see below it posts by viewers who've commented on the video so that gives you a cross section of opinion some valid some moronic but interesting reading nevertheless.

you should check out this young korean kid playing classical guitar. he plays mission impossible theme and other classical pieces. 'sungha jung'.

regards

Just saw Sungha Jung, man the kid can play and yet he's so young. Amazingly talented. Thanks for sharing about him. Another thing I've noted about YouTube is that the audio/SQ is pretty good. Plays loud and clear on my system.

Guys - If you can do check out Sungha Jung on YouTube. Here is a link to him strumming Eric Clapton's Wonderful Tonight. YouTube - Wonderful Tonight - Sungha Jung.

Hi Jith,

I have Oasis What's the Story Morning Glory and love it, but never followed their work/albums after that, guess I need to now. Love the movie Trainspotting, but never heard the OST. Love Vanessa Mae and have most of her work, do check out the group Bond, 4 women performing in a similar setting/vein. I've never heard Gustavo Santaollala, but will definitely check him out now that you recommend him so highly. Thanks for sharing.

oasis also has a 3cd collectors album which includes most of their hits. . Doesnt include tehr latest album.
Trainspotting ost was very popular that they released a 2nd ost as well.
gustavo sounds so simple yet is a pure bliss. . Anyone would love it. . .if you listen, let me know your opinion
thanks for the suggestion of bonds. . . Will check it out

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back