My Top Ten Albums...

Venkatji,

Like Mars bhai said

was not expecting these. I am yet to read your tastes 100%

Certainly did not expect to find Ace Of Base, Backstreet Boys, Michael Jackson, and Pussycat Dolls here, and not even our own Euphoria. I thought I had outgrown them, but I guess you're showing us we have to loosen up and push a leg! Coming to the remaining selection, well I do have most of them or at least have heard them. Notable absentees are Beautiful Sunday - 21 Gems For the 21st Century, but I could not find any group with this name. Even Google is giving me results to real gems and other precious stones. Please give us more information on this group/album, genre, etc. I've not heard Kitaro and really don't know how Isao Tomita compares to him, but have a lot of Isao Tomita. Just reading up on Seiji Ozawa and I'm thinking you listen to a lot of Japanese music? Have not heard Ned Miller, The Dave Brubeck Quartet or The Kingston Trio either. I will start with some of their greatest hits compilations from Amazon and then go on from there. Again, not much into classical music so not much into Beethoven, Ravi Shankar, etc.

Moser, I was not taking this listing seriously till I ready your note. There are too many albums that I like to say which is my ten best. And like the weather, my tastes in music is also seasonal. I might like an album very much one month, and can't stand the sight of it the next month. Sometimes I saturate myself so much with some music that my senses scream for some mercy. I am crazy enough to listen to one song repeatedly some 25 times in a day if I like the song a lot.

Anyhow what I have done is that I hurriedly went through my albums and picked some 30 albums that brought a smile to my face. I have not included Tamil Films Songs, Carnatic, nor Hindustani. Believe me, I have not included genres such as Beatles, Tom Jones, Eagles and a host of other that I also love. This is a very random selection.

2002 New Years Concert - Seiji Ozawa
40 Evergreen Super Oldies
Ace Of Base - Singles Of The Nineties
Backstreet Boys - The Best Of
Beautiful Sunday - 21 Gems For the 21st Century
Beethoven, The 9 Symphonies - Berliner Philharmoniker/Herbet Von Karajan
Carpenters - Their Greatest Hits
Chris De Burgh - Spark To A Flame
Classic Revival - 65 albums of re mastered Hindi Film Songs
Concerto For Sitar & Orchestra - Ravi Shankar & Andre Previn
Euphoria - Gully
Euphoria - Redhoom
Kenny G - Breathless
Kitaro - Kojini
Michael Jackson - Greatest Hits
Moody Blues - Days Of The Future Passed
Ned Miller - From A Jack To A King
Paul McCartney - London Town
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Pussycat Dolls - PCD
Raga Mala - Ravi Shankar & Zubin Mehta
Rhythm House - Fusion Mosaic 1 & 2
Shammi Kapoor - The Golden Collection
Shankar Manadevan - Breathless
Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Waters
Strings - Dhaani
Supertramp - The Very Best Of
The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out
The Kingston Trio - Tom Dooley
The Royal Philharmonic Collection - Khachaturian

Cheers

My top 10 Music CD'S..

1.Bryan Adams MTV Unplugged -DVD.
2.Bryan Adams -So far so good
3.Lucky Ali -Sifar
4 KK-Pal
5 Atif Aslam- Doorie
6 AR Rahman-RDB
7 Nandanam---Malayalam(Ravindran-Music)
8 Shania Twain-Come on Over
9 Kamaladhalam --Malayalam(Ravindran-Music)
10.All Jatin Lalit's Songs,lshankar ehsaan loy songs....

Coming to the remaining selection, well I do have most of them or at least have heard them. Notable absentees are Beautiful Sunday - 21 Gems For the 21st Century, but I could not find any group with this name. Even Google is giving me results to real gems and other precious stones. Please give us more information on this group/album, genre, etc. I've not heard Kitaro and really don't know how Isao Tomita compares to him, but have a lot of Isao Tomita. Just reading up on Seiji Ozawa and I'm thinking you listen to a lot of Japanese music? Have not heard Ned Miller, The Dave Brubeck Quartet or The Kingston Trio either. I will start with some of their greatest hits compilations from Amazon and then go on from there. Again, not much into classical music so not much into Beethoven, Ravi Shankar, etc.

Kitaro is wonderful and I like all his albums, but Konjiki is his best. There is small story behind Konjiki. George Lucas heard it once on his visit to Japan. He was so enamoured with the music, that he bundled the 100 odd instruments and artists that formed the Kitaro band into a 747. He then flew them to his Skywalker studio in LA where he made them record the album again along with the Skywalker Symphony Strings. This studio is supposed to be so inert that you cannot hear a pin drop at your own feet.

Isao Tomita? Never heard him. Will do and see how he sounds.
Seiji Ozawa is a conductor and he conducts Western Orchestras. He is one of the only ten conductors who were ever allowed to conduct the Vienna Philarmoniker for a new year's concert.

The Beautiful Sunday is just a collection of songs that I love and contains the following:

1. Paloma Blanca by George Baker Selection
2. Beautiful Sunday by Daniel Boone
3. Dance The Body Music by Osibisa
4. Wooly Bully by The Ventures
5. Black Superman by Johnny Wakelin
6. Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep by Middle Of The Road
7. Sugar Sugar by The Archies
8. Under The Broadwalk by The Drifters
9. I Would Love You To Want Me by Lobo
10. Wasted Days And Wasted Nights by Freddie Fender
11. Sorry Suzzane by The Holies
12. No Milk Today by Herman Hermits
13. Walking Back To Happiness by Helen Shapiro
14. I Will Never Find Another You by The Seekers
15. Save All Your Kisses For Me by Brotherhood Of Man
16. Make It With You by Bread
17. Silence If Golden by The Tremeloes
18. More Than I Can Say by Bobby Vee
19. Drift Away by Dobie Gray
20. Goodness Gracious Me by Peter Sellers & Sophia Loren
21. Those Were The Days by Mary Hopkin

This is a very rare collection of some of the best songs by these artists.

Ned Miller is a very old singer even before the times of Tom Jones and Englebert. I call him the English Talat Mehmood. His voice also shakes a bit, but these songs are just beautiful. Dave Brubeck is one of the best Jazz musician on earth, and his Take 5 album is a runaway bestseller. If You like Jazz you must have Dave Brubeck.

Cheers

Hai Venkat,

Good to see your list,
Paloma Blanca & Save all your kisses for me, is my favourite too.
I hope you would have heard the following songs,
KungFu-Fighting,
Hey Fattie BomBom,
Thats the way I like it,
Foot loose,
Laura's Theme from Dr.Zhivago,
Coffee Song- Osibisa,
You sexy thing,
Pop corn at the movies,
Boogie Nights
One way ticket.

Thanks,

N Murali

Last edited:
Hai Venkat,

Good to see your list,
KungFu-Fighting,
Hey Fattie BomBom,
Thats the way I like it,
Foot loose,
Laura's Theme from Dr.Zhivago,
Coffee Song- Osibisa,
You sexy thing,
Pop corn at the movies,
Boogie Nights
One way ticket

Thanks,

N Murali

Good to see your list,
KungFu-Fighting, Hey Fattie BomBom, Thats the way I like it, Foot loose,
Laura's Theme from Dr.Zhivago, Coffee Song- Osibisa, You sexy thing,
Pop corn at the movies, Boogie Nights One way ticket.

Yes Murali, I have all these songs and they are wonderful. Kung Fu Fighting was remixed recently though the original sounds superb. I have 2 or 3 versions of 'One Way Ticket' including one by The Carpenters which I like the best.

Cheers

20. Goodness Gracious Me by Peter Sellers & Sophia Loren
Oh Yes. This is a really hilarious song about an Indian doctor. It mimics Indians, but it stops short of making fun of Indians as a whole. My children love it.

Regards,
Sharad

I have been very hesitant to post on this topic, as i have heard none of the songs mentioned by venkat/moserw and others..

i have only heard carpenters (and the other regulars like who the f^&* is Alice, hotel calif and nothing else matters. There was another son called " August rain" by jethro tull which used to appeal to me) in my college days on a small sony walkman powered 2- 3" speakers enclosed in ahollow tube made of our wasted engineering drawings..Wow what days!.. and we used to have people from other rooms to listen to our impressive sound system! :)

My roomies used to hear a lot of western/english music.. but maybe theri choice wasnt all that impressive.. i never grew fond of english music (partial reason was may be i never heard the right songs.. or maybe i could never make the lyrics)

Most of my free time and in my car i listen to Iliayaraaja in telugu and tamil and kannada, lots of kishor in hindi, I also liked a lot of Jatin lalit.

My top ten would be. (forgive me. all regional)

1. Sundari - dalapathi - tamil/telugu
2. manida manida- tamil
3. Yuvakrantiya geete - shivasainya- kannada. You must listen to this song. got a chorus of 100 people 50 male and 50 female.. It is set in a revolutionary context and is amazing. listen to it here: KannadaAudio.com ::: Shiva Sainya
5. Nee meeda naaku idammo - rakshasudu - telugu
6. .. will add slowly to this list...

Regards

Suhas bhai,

This is scary to me now. I've not heard any of the artists/albums mentioned here with the exception of Miles Davis and I do have the album Kind Of Blue, but that's about it. I've very little exposure to classical music if any. I've ordered Jazz At The Pawnshop as recommended by Sharad bhai, but still awaiting delivery. Seeing that you've listed quite a few Indians I assume they should be available at the local Music World. I will start with a couple of the albums you've listed and go on from there. I thought I will start with Night Melodies by Dr. Prabha Atre since another friend too was recommending it. Thanks so much for sharing.

My picks.this list is purely based on the program (music) and not by the recording quality. This is THE music that really touches my heart. When ever I play any of these albums , I instantly get immersed into the music, it simply captures me , captivates me and then Electronics, the room and all other just disappears and what remains is the music and me, and at the end we (me and the music) become one single entity.

1. Night Melodies: Kalawati, Maru Bhihag, Mishra Khamaj
    By Dr Prabha Atre (Lable: SaReGaMa)
  2. Ahir Bhairav (Live at Kufa Gallery Hall , London)
    By Ustad Amjad Ali Khan w/ Sukhwinder Singh Naamdhari on Tabla
    Label: NaavRas, UK
  3. Raag Darbari (Dhrupad)
    By Gundecha Brothers Lable: Audiorec, UK
  4. Raag Hansadwani
    By Pt Hariprasad Chaurasia w/ Pt Madan Mishra on Tabla Label: HMV
  5. Pt Jasraj Live at Sawai Gandharva Music Festival -1992
    With Pt Zakir Hussian on Tabla and Pt. Sanjeev Abhyankar Label: Private recording
  6. Raag Puriya Kalyan Live at Osho Teerth Pune
    By Pt Hariprasad Chaurasia and Ustad Zakir Hussian, Label: Impressions
  7. Kind Of Blue
    Miles Davis , Lable:Columbia
  8. The Complete Verve Gerry Mulligan Concert Band Sessions
    (Limited edition, 4 CD box set) Lebel: Verve
  9. Chet Baker Plays the Best of Lerner and Loewe
    Chect Baker , Label: Riverside
  10. Jazz at Pawnshop
    By Arne Domnerus, Bengt Hallberg, Lars Ersrand, George Riedel, and Egil Johansen, XRCD, Label:FIM

Hi Santhu and thanks so much for sharing. I'm happy seeing a list that is so common with mine. I probably have all of Bryan Adams albums. One album that's a must have if any from Bryan Adams is the album Reckless. It's a classic from the 1980s (well I might get panned for calling it a classic), but it does have great standout tracks like Run to You and Summer Of '69, but all the songs are good and its a very satisfying album for Bryan Adams' fans. Seeing you've got his Greatest Hits collection that does cover all his hits, but I must admit I was crazy about (Everything I Do) I Do It For You when it came out. Loved the movie too. I've not heard Lucky Ali's Sifar, but I do have KK's Pal and Atif Aslam's Doorie. I must admit Doorie is a standout track. Been hearing it off and on since it came out. BTW Atif's Pehli Nazar Mein track from the movie Race too is pretty awesome. Very melodious. Coming to ARR I have all his albums (more or less), but would rate his Rangeela the best. I have Shania Twain's Come On Over, it's a great album indeed. Her Up album is also good, I especially love the track I'm Gonna Getcha Good. Coming to Malayalam songs, well one of my very best friends is a mallu and he recommended only one song to me till now (well actually he is more into classical music). It was Lajjavathiye Ninte from the movie 4 The People. It's an amazing track and one I've heard so many times that I've lost count. I will check with my friend if he has the albums you've listed so I can borrow and check them out. I've not really followed Jatin Lalit per se. I do however love Shankar Ehsaan Loy's Dil Chahta Hai score. Thanks once again for sharing, much appreciated.

My top 10 Music CD'S..

1.Bryan Adams MTV Unplugged -DVD.
2.Bryan Adams -So far so good
3.Lucky Ali -Sifar
4 KK-Pal
5 Atif Aslam- Doorie
6 AR Rahman-RDB
7 Nandanam---Malayalam(Ravindran-Music)
8 Shania Twain-Come on Over
9 Kamaladhalam --Malayalam(Ravindran-Music)
10.All Jatin Lalit's Songs,lshankar ehsaan loy songs....

Night Melodies
This is certainly available with many music shops.

Ahir Bhairav (Live at Kufa Gallery Hall , London)
It was once sold by NaavRas of UK in Cassette form later SONY took over that lable and reissues the album in CD format. It was available till last year, you need to search a lot for this. It is available with iTunes Store.

Raag Darbari (Dhrupad)
As on today this is available with many music shops.

Raag Hansadwani
By Pt Hariprasad Chaurasia w/ Pt Madan Mishra on Tabla Label: HMV

No chance , it is out of print now, but still you can find it in cassette format in with some music shops located in small towns. This is a two disc album. Other CD conatins Raag Zinzoti and Raag Maala equally stunning performance.

Pt Jasraj Live at Sawai Gandharva Music Festival -1992
I have a private recording of this session, the recording master then purchased by 'Alurkar Music ' Pune and later introduced it in CD format, but in the process ruined the quality. This album is stall availabe with Label:Fountain Music, Pune.

Raag Puriya Kalyan Live at Osho Teerth Pune
By Pt Hariprasad Chaurasia and Ustad Zakir Hussian, Label: Impressions

No chance , it never came in CD format, cassettes sold like hot cakes and pretty soom became out of print. I converted the cassette into CD at my Sound Recording friend's studio.

Kind Of Blue
Miles Davis , Lable:Columbia
Get only the Columbia pressing.

The Complete Verve Gerry Mulligan Concert Band Sessions
(Limited edition, 4 CD box set) Lebel: Verve

This is a 4 CD box set is master piece in every respect. Only 7500 albums issued world wide. Certainly a collector's item. One box set is still available with OCeanic Sound and Vision Pune , grab it before it goes out of the shop (Price is Rs 3600)

Chet Baker Plays the Best of Lerner and Loewe
Chect Baker , Label: Riverside

Lovely. Mesmerising.Copies still available at many shops including Landmark and Planet M. For Rs 295 it is a steal, no it is a corporate charity..

Jazz at Pawnshop
By Arne Domnerus, Bengt Hallberg, Lars Ersrand, George Riedel, and Egil Johansen, XRCD, Label:FIM

Must have album, Period. But try to get XRCD version or atleast SACD one.

Hope this helps.

Suhas bhai,

This is scary to me now. I've not heard any of the artists/albums mentioned here with the exception of Miles Davis and I do have the album Kind Of Blue, but that's about it. I've very little exposure to classical music if any. I've ordered Jazz At The Pawnshop as recommended by Sharad bhai, but still awaiting delivery. Seeing that you've listed quite a few Indians I assume they should be available at the local Music World. I will start with a couple of the albums you've listed and go on from there. I thought I will start with Night Melodies by Dr. Prabha Atre since another friend too was recommending it. Thanks so much for sharing.

Hi Santhu and thanks so much for sharing. I'm happy seeing a list that is so common with mine. I probably have all of Bryan Adams albums. One album that's a must have if any from Bryan Adams is the album Reckless. It's a classic from the 1980s (well I might get panned for calling it a classic), but it does have great standout tracks like Run to You and Summer Of '69, but all the songs are good and its a very satisfying album for Bryan Adams' fans. Seeing you've got his Greatest Hits collection that does cover all his hits, but I must admit I was crazy about (Everything I Do) I Do It For You when it came out. Loved the movie too. I've not heard Lucky Ali's Sifar, but I do have KK's Pal and Atif Aslam's Doorie. I must admit Doorie is a standout track. Been hearing it off and on since it came out. BTW Atif's Pehli Nazar Mein track from the movie Race too is pretty awesome. Very melodious. Coming to ARR I have all his albums (more or less), but would rate his Rangeela the best. I have Shania Twain's Come On Over, it's a great album indeed. Her Up album is also good, I especially love the track I'm Gonna Getcha Good. Coming to Malayalam songs, well one of my very best friends is a mallu and he recommended only one song to me till now (well actually he is more into classical music). It was Lajjavathiye Ninte from the movie 4 The People. It's an amazing track and one I've heard so many times that I've lost count. I will check with my friend if he has the albums you've listed so I can borrow and check them out. I've not really followed Jatin Lalit per se. I do however love Shankar Ehsaan Loy's Dil Chahta Hai score. Thanks once again for sharing, much appreciated.

Thanks moerw for your comments. I like all songs from bryan.Run to You,Heaven,Cuts like a knife,Cloud no9,its only love,Feels like first time to gether,when you r gone and of course summer of 69.
And there is a song in the unlugged albhum with kieth scott "I'll Always Be Right There". Its really amazing how they are playing the guitar together in that song.
If you like atif's songs you can check out these ,woh lemhe woh batein(JAL -think,ab tho adat si hogayee(??the Albhum) Hum is galee jarahe the(From Doorie-albhum).

Lajjavathiye Ninte was a trend setter in Malayalam film idustry.i like the malayalam semi classical songs. You can check out the albhum i mentioned.

I don't want to talk about .well every knows about his songs:p.

S.E.L--- you will love the songs like Har gadi badal rahe hain (Kal hona hoo),Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna ,Tare zameer par,salam e ishqe.

Hi Realactivex! Thanks so much for sharing.

I have been very hesitant to post on this topic, as i have heard none of the songs mentioned by venkat/moserw and others..

Well, even I've not heard of quite a few artists/albums mentioned here, but that was the primary reason for starting this thread to discover more in music.

i have only heard carpenters (and the other regulars like who the f^&* is Alice, hotel calif and nothing else matters. There was another son called " August rain" by jethro tull which used to appeal to me) in my college days on a small sony walkman powered 2- 3" speakers enclosed in ahollow tube made of our wasted engineering drawings..Wow what days!.. and we used to have people from other rooms to listen to our impressive sound system! :)

My roomies used to hear a lot of western/english music.. but maybe theri choice wasnt all that impressive.. i never grew fond of english music (partial reason was may be i never heard the right songs.. or maybe i could never make the lyrics)

Most of my free time and in my car i listen to Iliayaraaja in telugu and tamil and kannada, lots of kishor in hindi, I also liked a lot of Jatin lalit.

My top ten would be. (forgive me. all regional)

1. Sundari - dalapathi - tamil/telugu
2. manida manida- tamil
3. Yuvakrantiya geete - shivasainya- kannada. You must listen to this song. got a chorus of 100 people 50 male and 50 female.. It is set in a revolutionary context and is amazing. listen to it here: KannadaAudio.com ::: Shiva Sainya
5. Nee meeda naaku idammo - rakshasudu - telugu
6. .. will add slowly to this list...

Regards

Carpenters were one of my favorite groups when growing up. Practically have all their albums and even now listen to them particularly when in the mood for some easy listening. The Alice song you mentioned was a favorite of me and my buddies when growing up, especially during our pub hopping days. You're right college days were so much fun. Even Hotel California and Nothing Else Matters too were favorites, actually they still are.

My sound setup during college was different. We had purchased a cheap car tape player and connected them to a couple of Ahuja speakers and we would blast tapes on them. I also had a walkman that I would practically listen to 24/7.

I love Ilaiyaraaja particularly from when I heard Agni Nakshatram. I must have run through half a dozen tapes of this particular album alone. Love every single song from this movie.

Coming to Kannada I have to mention one particular album that was a favorite, it was movie of Ravichandran and Juhi Chawla titled Premaloka, this album was such a rage and a personal favorite when we were kids. In fact all of Ravichandran's movies had great songs those days. Another that comes to mind is Ranadheera. Man I really miss those times and the wonderful music too.

I really like the old classics from Kishore.

Rakshasudu was Chiranjeevi's breakout role I would say. A monster hit and with great songs. Man I could go on... but wife is calling for lunch!!!

I will check the link you've given and thanks so much for sharing. Really great this visit down memory lane for me.

Lajjavathiye Ninte was a trend setter in Malayalam film idustry.

Santhu,

One more song I've to mention that I literally ate my friend's head till he got it for me was the song Karuppinazhaku from the movie Swapnakkoodu, Literally wore the tape down playing this particular track.

hi,

it was an exhaustive thread. Anyway since i could not go through in detailed way. Though I do have lot of the collections of the said above.
I would like to add some of the good ones from my side.
Joe cocker
Roxy music
(I knew only jealous guy since twenty years after that movie flashbacks of a fool I got their debut album. It is really fantastic. )

Bread ( I love these people and david gates)
Dio ( You should own their best)
J J cale ( His best is worth )
Traffic ( it is beautiful)
ZZ top.

Like venkat mentioned I listen to lot of new age also.
I buy all the years best, like modern rock 2004,5,6 like that and and try them downloading then if i like I will buy their best. Like that I have leart lot of bands.

David gray He is good
Match box twenty,
Nickelback
Verve
cold play and so on.
Ofcourse difficult to listen to albums. We could do it in our college days we had time and cassetes were available from Rs20.
Now buying original CD s is an expensive affair.
So I buy all the best and gold albums.

Learning from you tube it is really great.
I do this. On top of it we can see the guys first time. Having heard them and appreciating for over 20 years many of us do not know how our favourite musicians look. ( Atleast many of them)

Jazz I have bought from reviews from AV Max.
Western Classical I have bought many of the the 25 greatest works

Indian classical I have by thier reputation. Now I have lot to acquire after having seen so many recommendations by many of you.
Thanks

I find mostly you prefer rock groups that are from the 1970s or before. How about some of the newer ones like Bon Jovi, GNR, Def Leppard, Aerosmith? You should (if you have not) give Van Halen a try. Amazing rock group and great guitar work. Another rock group with great music and guitar work is The Scorpions. Love them.

Quite correct moser - I do prefer 70s rock. I also have the greatest hits packs of Bon Jovi, GNR, Def Leppard, Aerosmith, Scorpions and Van Halen and do listen to them as well. Its just that I dont like them as much as the ones on my earlier list. I dont mean to say that these guys are not good - its just a question of prioritising.

Speaking of Van Halen, does anyone know that the searing guitar riff in the middle of the Beat It song (Michael Jackson) was by Eddie Van Halen ?

Quite correct moser - I do prefer 70s rock. I also have the greatest hits packs of Bon Jovi, GNR, Def Leppard, Aerosmith, Scorpions and Van Halen and do listen to them as well. Its just that I dont like them as much as the ones on my earlier list. I dont mean to say that these guys are not good - its just a question of prioritising.

Speaking of Van Halen, does anyone know that the searing guitar riff in the middle of the Beat It song (Michael Jackson) was by Eddie Van Halen ?

Oh yeah, very much so. Even Slash from GNR lets it rip on Michael Jackson's Black Or White and Give In To Me tracks from the Dangerous album.

Here is one more list from my collection..........criteriorn still the same Connection to my heart.

1. Ray sings Basie swings
    Ray Charles and Count Basie, Label: Concord
  2. SoulRagas (Raag Yaman) Ronu Muzumdar, Label: Ninaad
  3. Call Of the Valley Label: EMI CLassic
  4. Live in 1954/55 by Chris Barber Label: Polygram
  5. Sketches of Spain Miles Davis Label: SONY
  6. The Kln Concert [LIVE] Keith Jarrett Label: ECM
  7. Satch and Josh Vol 1 and II Oscar Peterson and Count Basie Label:Concord
  8. Tarang ShivKumar Sharma Label: HMV
  9. Raag Megh Malhar By Pt Bhimsen Joshi Label: Music Today
  10. Fingerdance [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED]
    Billy McLaughlin Label: Narada