My Top Ten Albums...

Venkatji,

Now you're speaking the local language. My Tamil is not exactly fluent or great, but I do get by in Chennai. Coming to the tracks listed, I have/or at least heard most of them. The thing is I like Vijay and Vikram a lot and you've picked mostly their movies and that's the reason I've heard these songs. Need to check out Sakkarakatti and Silambattam though. Villu's soundtrack though was a bit of a disappointment for me personally. I like Kaakha Kaakha's soundtrack a lot though.

This may not make sense to people who don't understand Tamil or Tamil film songs, but recently, I got a CD made of the following songs:

(01) WHERE IS THE PARTY. Singers: Mukesh, Priyadarshani. Film: SILAMBATTAM
(02) NAAKA MUKA. Singers: Vijay Anthony. Film: KAADHALIL VIZHUNDHEN
(03) MADURAIKKU POGATHADEE. Singers: Benny Dhayal, Archit, Darshana. Film: AZHAGIYA TAMILMAGAN
(04) DADDY MUMMY. Singers: Mamta Mohandas, Naveen. Film: VILLU
(05) TAXI TAXI. Singers: Benny Dhayal, Blaaze, Javed Ali, Viviane Chaix. Film: SAKKARAKATTI
(06) VAADA MAPILLEY. Singers: Tipu, Rita. Film: VILLU
(07) GEMINI GEMINI. Singers: SPB, Anuradha. Film: GEMINI
(08) KOKKARAKKO. Singers: Udit Narayan, Sujatha. Film: GILLI
(09) APPADI PODU. Singers: Kay Kay, Anuradha Sriram. Film: GILLI
(10) KANNUM KANNUM. Singers: Jakki, Leela. Film: VANJIKOTTAI VAALIBAN
(11) APPAN PANNA. Singers: Pushpavanam Kuppusamy, Anuradha Sriram. Film: THIRUPACHI
(12) ANDANQKKA. Singers: Jassie Gift, Kay Kay, Shreya Ghoshal, Saindhavi. Film: ANNIYAN
(13) VAADIYAMMA. Singer: Udit Narayan. Film: THIRUPACHI
(14) ARUVA MEESAI. Singers: Manicka Vinayagam, Vithu Prabhakar. Film: DHOOL
(15) KALYANAMTHAN. Singers: Yugendran, Kay Kay, Srilekha Paratahsarathy. Film: SAMY

I must confess :)o) that I am thoroughly enjoying all the songs, listening to them at least once a day. These songs really make me feel alive.

But, TheVortex, as you say, I am not sure how many days I will enjoy these songs. Let us see.

Cheers

I like the most:

Boondein and Pehchaan (both from Silk Route).
Especially the track Boondein, Morni and Sapnay.

Till now I have not found something as soothing as the above tracks.

Unfortunately Silk Route band doesn't exists now.

Thanks.

Hai Moserw,

For Fusion my recommendations are :

How to name it? - Ilaiyaraaja
Nothing but wind?- -do-
Indian Express - Dr.L.Subramaniam.

Western Classical with Synth sounds:

Classics in the air - (All Vols)- Paul Mauriat.

Thanks,

N.Murali.

Dear Sir,

in fusion & new age i would definitely recommend

1) Atman - The lonely road ...(album definitely worth listening)
2) Atman - The travellers.... amazing sounds quite radical
3) Oilver Shanti & friends
4) Steve Vai
5) Water down the ganges- Prem Joshua
6) Global village -Karunesh
7) The laya project
8) Piant the sky with the stars -Enya
9) Sitar Gaze- Niladri Kumar
10) scared spirit - project B tribe

Regards

Neetant

Venkat,

Euphoria is one of my favourite bands. Many are the times when I have mentioned their 'Phir Dhoom' album only to see people looking at me quizzically. Glad to know that there are at least a few other souls who have heard these songs and like them.

'Mayari' from the album 'Phir Dhoom' is a quality song. Of course the 'Dhoom' song is the signature track.

Oh yes, thevortex.
I have surely head all their songs. They used to be my wife's favorite.
Do you know when was their last album released, and what are they doing now?

Thanks,
Sharad

@thevortex - Thanks, but when are you going to share your listening preferences with the rest of us. Waiting...

This is a very nice thread - thanks for Moserw!

And Venkat - very few people are able to take in Carnatic music as well as Dappankuthu songs. So, enjoy it while you may!:)

I do remember them from the music videos, but never got the tape or CD. But you're right very soothing music indeed.

I like the most:

Boondein and Pehchaan (both from Silk Route).
Especially the track Boondein, Morni and Sapnay.

Till now I have not found something as soothing as the above tracks.

Unfortunately Silk Route band doesn't exists now.

Thanks.

@Neetant - I do hope you're not calling me sir. Dude or bro would be just great instead...

Coming to the list you've mentioned I've heard Steve Vai and Karunesh's Global Village. Have not heard Atman or the others. Enya is a personal favorite of mine and I have almost all of her albums. Thanks for sharing...

Dear Sir,

in fusion & new age i would definitely recommend

1) Atman - The lonely road ...(album definitely worth listening)
2) Atman - The travellers.... amazing sounds quite radical
3) Oilver Shanti & friends
4) Steve Vai
5) Water down the ganges- Prem Joshua
6) Global village -Karunesh
7) The laya project
8) Piant the sky with the stars -Enya
9) Sitar Gaze- Niladri Kumar
10) scared spirit - project B tribe

Regards

Neetant

I have their first 2 albums, Dhoom and Phir Dhoom, but have not followed up after that.

Venkat,

Euphoria is one of my favourite bands. Many are the times when I have mentioned their 'Phir Dhoom' album only to see people looking at me quizzically. Glad to know that there are at least a few other souls who have heard these songs and like them.

'Mayari' from the album 'Phir Dhoom' is a quality song. Of course the 'Dhoom' song is the signature track.

I do remember them from the music videos, but never got the tape or CD. But you're right very soothing music indeed.

You can see videos on youtube.
For audio songs I have links, if you wish I can send those.

Kitaro is wonderful and I like all his albums, but Konjiki is his best. There is small story behind Konjiki. George Lucas heard it once on his visit to Japan. He was so enamoured with the music, that he bundled the 100 odd instruments and artists that formed the Kitaro band into a 747. He then flew them to his Skywalker studio in LA where he made them record the album again along with the Skywalker Symphony Strings. This studio is supposed to be so inert that you cannot hear a pin drop at your own feet.

Venkatji,

Took 10 days and had to eat my cousin's head, but got Kitaro - The Best of Kitaro, Vol. 1. First impressions are very aural and traditional Japanese music. It sounds very much like music used for imaging, meditation, etc. i.e. very visual and aural too. I've told my cousin to get me Konjiki ASAP too but it seems he was not able to locate it due to lack of time. Should be sending it soon too. Quite good stuff, but not everybody's cup of tea I should say.

Kojiki has the following numbers:

• Hajimari
  • Suzo
  • Kol
  • orichi
  • Nageki
  • Matsuri
  • Reimei

Some of the these numbers may already be there in 'Best of Kitaro'. I just love Hajimari and Matsuri. Listen to it in the night with low lights and absolute silence. Kitaro will take you into a different world. Do you know Kitaro spends a lot of time going around with a mike and tape recorder and recording sounds of jungles, birds, water, wind and so many natural things? He then mixes these sounds into his music. He is brilliant.

But, as you say, not everyone's cup of tea.

Cheers

Venkatji,

Seems like nothing from Kojiki is on the best of CD that I got. Anyways my cousin will be sending Kojiki too soon, but the tracks on the best of CD I got are as follows...
1. Morning Prayer
2. Eternal Spring
3. Oasis
4. Westbound
5. Silver Moon
6. Four Changes
7. Tunhuang
8. Sacred Journey II
9. Revelation
10. Silk Road Fantasy
11. Shimmering Light
12. Everlasting Road

Kojiki has the following numbers:

• Hajimari
  • Suzo
  • Kol
  • orichi
  • Nageki
  • Matsuri
  • Reimei

Some of the these numbers may already be there in 'Best of Kitaro'. I just love Hajimari and Matsuri. Listen to it in the night with low lights and absolute silence. Kitaro will take you into a different world. Do you know Kitaro spends a lot of time going around with a mike and tape recorder and recording sounds of jungles, birds, water, wind and so many natural things? He then mixes these sounds into his music. He is brilliant.

But, as you say, not everyone's cup of tea.

Cheers

Hi moserw,

Did you get chance to listen to Silk Route? What about SQ of .ogg format?

Nope, not yet. Been traveling. Coming to OGG its a better format than MP3, but not what audiophiles will like. Hopefully I can get the CDs in Music World or maybe online, let me see.

Nope, not yet. Been traveling. Coming to OGG its a better format than MP3, but not what audiophiles will like. Hopefully I can get the CDs in Music World or maybe online, let me see.

Boondein, you can get it at some good CD shop.
But, Pehchaan is pretty difficult to get. If you find Pehchaan, then please PM me. I am also looking for it.

hello
This is very informative thread, from top ten albums to finding new artists is just great. Here is my list of some "one song wonder artists" though they may not be super stars I like these songs
Souxsie & The Banshees -- Dear Prudence (Good Voice)
Talking Heads -- Burning Down the house (Absolutely meaningless lyrics but great music)
Don Henley -- All she wants to do is dance (Good voice, Good Dance Number)
John Farnham -- You'r the voice (Good inspirational song)
Colour me Bad -- All for love (beautiful Melodious song)
Art Company -- Suzzana
Big Country -- In a big country
Bob Segar -- Shakedown (very racy song movie - Beverly hills cop)
Cars -- You might think
Man without hats -- Safety Dance
John Waite - Missing You
Rick james - Give It To Me Baby
Smokey Robinson - The Tears Of A Clown
Steve Winwood - Roll With It
Wang Chung - Everybody Have Fun Tonight
Wang Chung - Let's Go

Well known artists but not so popular songs, but i like them
Stevie Wonder -- Overjoyed (Great voice, great music video)
David Bowie -- Lets dance
Paul Simon -- Boy in the bubble
Robert Plant -- 29 palms
Sade -- No ordinary love (Love her voice)

Hope you enjoy them too.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back